PDA

View Full Version : What would you do???!!!??

BlueThunder34
04-30-2016, 01:39 PM
Just picked up our new Cougar on Thursday and noticed the issues in the pics below!!! We are very lucky it didn't have a blow out on the way home. The entire back side of the tire is chewed up almost to the belts. I left a message for the service department at the dealer where we bought it but the problem is it's about 150 miles from us and I am not about to put this thing back out on the highway. It looks like it's a defective slide crossbar that is digging into the tire. Would you try to just bend it back into shape? I'm not sure exactly what that piece does or what that would affect? I wonder if the dealer really thinks it will be my problem to get it back to them? Any ideas?? Thanks

denverpilot
04-30-2016, 02:38 PM
They're going to argue it, because something rubbing like that should have been noticed in a pre-trip inspection before towing it off the lot, but I wouldn't tow anything that has a tire rubbing on anything.

I'd make them come get it or hire a towing company and argue the cost later.

Something is very wrong there and I wouldn't want the insurance claim if I caused an accident with a blowout dragging it back to them. I'd let a professional towing company figure out how to get it back safely, then start the warranty claim and get the process started on figuring out what went wrong to have something dragging on a tire.

Just my opinion. Others might just drag it back and take their chances.

BlueThunder34
04-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Just heard back from the service manager and they are going to send the service tech with replacement bar and tire to our house and fix it on site."bouncey: I was surprised they didn't try to blame me or make me figure out a way to bring it back in, no way I'm towing it like that. I don't know how both myself and the tech missed it, I crawled under the trailer during PDI but didn't notice it. I would assume the trailers are towed there from the plant and would think I would have noticed all the rubber pieces covering the leaf springs, etc.

denverpilot
04-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Excellent news. Now how about the tire damage? Is that on you or them?

BlueThunder34
04-30-2016, 04:54 PM
They said they would bring out a new wheel/tire and just put it on and take back the damaged wheel/tire and have it replaced at the dealership. Don't these trailers get towed from the factory to the dealer? I'm not sure how this got missed at so many points. The trailer towed great on the way home and there was no indication of vibration, drag, tire smoke or anything out of sorts. Very strange, but I'm glad it didn't fail when we were out on the road and very happy I found it at home before a trip back out.

Ken / Claudia
05-06-2016, 10:35 AM
I think what you say about not knowing there was any problems as you towed it is a factor in rv tires blowing up. How many travel and do not know there is a tire problem by what ever reason and only find out after the tire blows. It is not like your truck or car where you notice things like that sooner.
Great to here the dealer stepped up and is fixing the problem.

BlueThunder34
05-06-2016, 01:40 PM
I'm very impressed with CW of Burlington for stepping up and sending the parts and the tech to my home to fix onsite. I'm somewhat disappointed with myself for not noticing the issue before I left. I was very thorough (or so I thought) when going over the PDI sheet I printed from here and make it a point to literally touch every window, door, baggage door and couplers before I tow and after each stop. I checked the tire pressure and lug nuts before pulling away and still missed it:confused: Won't make that mistake again
I can't believe the blowmaxxs didn't blow with the amount of rubber chewed out of the back of the tire.

theeyres
05-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Glad CW stepped up to the plate. Can't blame you for not noticing it! I would never even look for something like that. It's just one of those weird things.