PDA

View Full Version : Rack on back bumper

Blackrock
04-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Just picked up a new 295SRK and after weighing the rig I need to move some weight to the rear. I have a idea to build two racks either side of the spare tire to carry my two Honda 2000 generators. Each rack centered on the rear frame stringer. Any ideas if this will work and is that rear bumper heavy enough to carry 80lbs on each corner.

gearhead
04-26-2016, 04:15 PM
In short, no.
More...Assuming it is the normal sheet metal bumper that is just barely welded on, I would not do it. You are raising 2 issues that should be addressed. The integrity of the bumper and changing the hitch weight. The bumper "could" be modified with trusses and more weldment. But it is still a paper thin bumper. Plus, Keystone "may" deny a warranty claim if you have frame issues because of the modification. The other issue is the weight. It will not be a 1:1 ratio of adding weight to the rear and removing that same amount from the hitch.
So, I would say don't just hang that weight on that factory installed bumper. You may be able to find a receiver hitch that welds or bolts to the frame rail at the rear. I would discuss that with your dealer.
RV Receiver: http://www.curtmfg.com/Search?term=rv+receiver
The quickest easiest solution? A front receiver hitch installed on your truck and a cargo basket:
http://www.curtmfg.com/Search?term=front+receiver
Cheaper from Amazon.
Have you weighed the rig and calculated the pin weight, or are you looking at the "squat" of the truck. Looking at the 5th specs it shows 1480 pin weight. I bet you end up close to 2200 all loaded up and ready to.
You ever hang out in the Superstitions? I need to poke around there some. Infamous relatives: The Hermit and the Baron.

Blackrock
04-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Yes it's fifth wheel and yes it isn't the best looking layout I've seen. I am a pretty good welder/fabricator and have all the equipment to do the job but it would work a lot better going up to the base frame and building heavier back from there. They had a good idea going and gave up and just tacked on a sewer tube.

Festus2
04-26-2016, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't think about carrying 2 Honda generators on the bumper. If you able to weld a hitch receiver to the frame and; as gearhead suggested some kind of basket or platform attached to it that would be the preferable route to go.

The bumper is flimsy at best and I can just picture your Hondas and the bumper falling off and creating havoc on the highway.

Blackrock
04-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Went back and crawled up under there and after a better look I see that this won't work without a major rebuild of the back end on this trailer. So I think for now the gennys go in the truck bed right up against the cab.
We are heading out this Thursday for a two night shakedown cruise boondocking up the mountain.

gearhead
04-26-2016, 05:26 PM
I took mine to a welder recommended by my dealer. Removed the factory bumper, welded out what was there, added 2 extensions on the end of each frame rail, and welded on a heavy wall bumper. All I carry on it is the spare and a bicycle.

Bill & Deb
04-29-2016, 03:00 PM
This is a post on how I mount my Generator and bike rack.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?p=154007#post154007