PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Hold Condensation

FSS
04-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Hello,

Question for you guys and gals. I have a 1 yr old Cougar 21RBSWE. When getting it ready for this camping season, I noticed moisture on the underside of a small rubber backed door mat that I had my BBQ sitting on in my front pass through cargo hold. I looked for obvious signs of moisture and possible leaks but only found moisture under that mat. No signs of water entering the hold or signs that water was anywhere other then under the mat. I concluded that it must have been condensation under the rubber that would have no way to escape.

So, I chucked the mat and placed the BBQ on top of my awning mat which was folded and placed in the same area. Today, I check the hold, and there is moisture under the awning mat (much less than the rubber mat though), and again, no moisture anywhere else or any signs that there had been.

Has anyone else had this and would it most likely just be condensation between the mat and the floor? Or is there something else I should be considering?

Cheers

chuckster57
04-22-2016, 02:36 PM
Only common item is the BBQ. Maybe put it in the garage and see if the moisture spots go away.

Festus2
04-22-2016, 04:01 PM
FSS -
Try placing the BBQ on a mat or other material that is breathable. My guess is that cold air from the bottom cannot escape through a rubberized or other non-breathable material, gets trapped and forms moisture between the two.

You can get fabric mats to use as a protective base at Walmart, HD or similar big box stores.

FSS
04-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

It appears there was a badly caulked joint on the top of the frame for the slam shut cargo door. I recaulked and a couple hours later had a line of thunderstorms go through with heavy rain. Very humid early this morning with condensation on the exterior this morning. Bone dry in the cargo hold. I even put the rubber backed mat in to help with troubleshooting. Looks like I may have found and repaired the source.

Thanks again.

chuckster57
04-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

CoreyC
04-23-2016, 05:05 PM
I leave a half-gallon size Damp Rid desiccant in my storage compartment. They are available at most of the larger chain retailers. It seems to help out.

FSS
04-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Good idea!

Thanks.