PDA

View Full Version : Considering a move to NC

BirchyBoy
04-18-2016, 08:37 AM
My wife and I are considering moving out of Colorado and towards the East coast. Right now, the area of Winston-Salem, NC is looking very good from a housing cost standpoint. I am a teleworker and this area is within an hour or so of a company office, should I need any tech assistance.

Anyone here live in the area and would like to suggest good neighborhoods or places to avoid? One of our goals is to have a little land (2-3 acres) and have a dog rescue, but that is a few years away. But, if I could find the right place now, it would make it easier to do long-term. For that reason alone, we will spend some time looking outside city areas and looking in some rural areas. I grew up in a very small town in Eastern Maine, Downeast if you know what truly means, so a little drive to get groceries doesn't scare me.

Are there many "good" campgrounds within a 3 hour drive? By good, I mean clean, reliable hookups, etc.

gearhead
04-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Within 3 hours of Winston-Salem, I like Tanglewood Park in Clemson. It is a large county park with golf, stables, B&B, and a large dog park. The RV park was recently renovated. BUT, be aware that some of the sites are quite unlevel. I asked why and was told the county government would not allow any grade changes in the park. We have stayed there at least twice.
http://www.forsyth.cc/parks/tanglewood/
I wish I could help with real estate. I wouldn't mind living there myself. Really nice country. We do genealogy around there, mostly Yadkinville.

T3/T4 Hybrid
04-18-2016, 01:54 PM
My wife grew up in Clemmons which is just outside of Winston Salem. Its a nice area along with the Bermuda Run. If you are wanting to go North than the areas above Wake Forest are pretty nice also.

Good luck with the up coming move. You are going to miss the Rockies. ;)

CaptnJohn
04-19-2016, 05:31 AM
You will be in about the middle ~~ not far to the mountains (really just big hills) and the coast. I'm more ocean type,,,, you will like NC.

byrdr1
04-19-2016, 06:15 AM
Winston-Salem is one hour from where I live. Nice area and is close to a more rural NC lifestyle. Several counties around W-S are rural and lots of farmland and winery's.
Catawba River, Pilot Mountain, My Airy are with in 1/2 hour of you. Lots of folks who work in W-S live in Davidson county, less taxes and good schools and just a generally good area. Next town over is Greensboro, NC and you are near High Point, NC. this 3 town area is called the Triad of NC. Lots of small quaint towns around you either way. I-40 runs East-West right through W-S on up to Asheville, NC and larger mountains on the east coast, US421 runs through right on up to Boone, NC and NC foothills and Mountains and Blue Ridge parkway. US 52 runs through on up to Mt Airy and VA mountains and blue ridge parkway @ fancy Gap, VA.
Just a great area to live near. I am sure you would not want to live in W-S, but the surrounding areas(counties) either way would be great.
To the coast of NC on I-40 would be around 4 hour ride to Wilmington, NC. to get to Boone, NC maybe 1-1&1/2 hours and you would be there.
Got one of the best teaching and research hospitals on the east coast in Baptist Hospital right it the middle of W-S.
W-S is moving from a old tobacco built it town to technological advanced town. Lots of the old tobacco plants being re-purposed as housing lofts and bio-tech type operations.
I know one area that grows human parts from tissue samples, this gives you the type of things happening in and around W-S.
I would consider rural areas around W-S as a starting point for your east coast move and if and when you move look us up..
randy

BirchyBoy
04-19-2016, 06:46 AM
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

gearhead
04-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Tanglewood last year...

BirchyBoy
04-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Tanglewood last year...

Very nice!

gearhead
04-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Just saw I referenced "Clemson" it is "CLEMMONS".

Tbos
04-25-2016, 03:04 PM
When I posted about campgrounds near Statesville the responses included Tanglewood. It sounds nice. My daughter lives in Statesville so if you end up in W-S you'll be less than an hour away when we visit. We are camping at Carowinds Amusement Park 4th of July this year. I'll post a review.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

hdrolling
04-26-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure how Colorado is but the taxes in NC are horrible!

Tbos
04-26-2016, 02:53 PM

Try MD taxes and then you will realize how much nicer the taxes are in NC.

CaptnJohn
04-28-2016, 06:13 PM

I have lived in NC a long time. I'm a real estate broker licenses in both NC and SC. That NC taxes are horrible ~~~ first time ever heard. Income taxis being reduced. Sales tax is NOT 8-10% like in many are taxes, areas. Real estate taxes range from very low to extremely low. Incorporated areas (cities and towns) taxes are naturally higher but not worth it to many when everything desired is outside and available. Not all those areas could be described as rural either, by any stretch.

BirchyBoy
06-15-2016, 12:09 PM
I just realized that it has been a while since I posted an update. We spent 5 days in NC over Memorial Day weekend. We spent a couple days in Raleigh and looked at quite a few homes and then a few days in Wilmington and looked at homes there. Raleigh was good, probably better from a future job perspective, but we liked the feel of Wilmington better. We're headed back tomorrow for more house hunting and will hopefully make an offer on a place this weekend. We loved some homes in Leland because they are new construction, but we're also going to look at some older homes in Wilmington as well.

While in Wilmington over Memorial Day weekend, my town home in CO went on the market at 9:00 am Sunday morning. We had 12 showings in two days and had five offers! We accepted the first offer, above asking price, and the inspection is done and the appraisal is pending. The contract included a clause requiring the buyer to make up a certain portion of a deficiency should the appraisal not meet the contract price. This was the buyer's offer and our realtor refined it. We are set to close on 6/29 and then have until 7/5 to get moved out. I've got movers scheduled for 7/1.

Times, they are a changing! If all goes well, we'll be heading from CO to NC in late July with our travel trailer in tow, and will setup in a camp ground while we wait for our closing to occur.

Tbos
06-15-2016, 01:18 PM
I just realized that it has been a while since I posted an update. We spent 5 days in NC over Memorial Day weekend. We spent a couple days in Raleigh and looked at quite a few homes and then a few days in Wilmington and looked at homes there. Raleigh was good, probably better from a future job perspective, but we liked the feel of Wilmington better. We're headed back tomorrow for more house hunting and will hopefully make an offer on a place this weekend. We loved some homes in Leland because they are new construction, but we're also going to look at some older homes in Wilmington as well.

While in Wilmington over Memorial Day weekend, my town home in CO went on the market at 9:00 am Sunday morning. We had 12 showings in two days and had five offers! We accepted the first offer, above asking price, and the inspection is done and the appraisal is pending. The contract included a clause requiring the buyer to make up a certain portion of a deficiency should the appraisal not meet the contract price. This was the buyer's offer and our realtor refined it. We are set to close on 6/29 and then have until 7/5 to get moved out. I've got movers scheduled for 7/1.

Times, they are a changing! If all goes well, we'll be heading from CO to NC in late July with our travel trailer in tow, and will setup in a camp ground while we wait for our closing to occur.

Congrats on selling you TH so quickly. Sounds like you received a great offer. Good luck with your move.

CaptnJohn
06-15-2016, 07:33 PM
Great to hear you are moving to NC. I love it here, not far from you either. Not a fan of any city and Leland is about as close to one as you can get. Although continuing to improve ,our real estate markets do not seem as robust as where you left. There probably are more opportunities foe employment in Raleigh but nothing like living at the beach.

byrdr1
06-16-2016, 07:23 AM

congratulations.. NC is a good place to live. I have lived here since i was 16.
Good area of NC Leland is good small town.. BUT so close to the coast to enjoy that and mountains a good 5&1/2-6 hour ride straight up I-40..
Great,

randy

Desert185
06-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Science and facts.

www.homesnacks.net

gearhead
06-16-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking Cape Fear River just south of you is full of redfish, flounder, and probably sea trout.
Excellent choice sir!

hdrolling
06-23-2016, 04:43 AM
We are set to close on 6/29 and then have until 7/5 to get moved out. I've got movers scheduled for 7/1.

Wow, that's fast closing with all the new regulations that went into effect last Oct. We just bought a new home in Dec 2015 and our closing kept getting pushed back due to the lenders figuring out all the new paperwork that has to be done.

Good luck with the move, great area!

BirchyBoy
06-23-2016, 06:22 AM
Wow, that's fast closing with all the new regulations that went into effect last Oct. We just bought a new home in Dec 2015 and our closing kept getting pushed back due to the lenders figuring out all the new paperwork that has to be done.

Good luck with the move, great area!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The closing on my Colorado home is 6/29. The closing on the North Carolina home is scheduled for 7/28, or roughly 40 days after we went under contract.

BirchyBoy
06-23-2016, 06:27 AM
Another update. We were in NC last weekend and looked at another 6 homes. Everything from renovated 1920's homes down town to new homes in Leland. We found the perfect home and are now under contract. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath ranch style home on .25 acres. The inspection and appraisal are all scheduled, along with a survey and a termite inspection. I'm also going to get quotes for a fence for the back yard. The HOA allows campers, with permission, so I'm going to have a large gate built on one side for future use :)

Tbos
06-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Sounds great. Enjoy.

sourdough
06-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Congratulations on the new house.

CO to NC? I haven't re-read the thread so kinda fuzzy on the details. If I remember you have family out that way so figure your used to/familiar with the climate.

We spend much of our time in NM/TX/CO/AR/AZ/MO plus a couple of months here in FL. Just traveled up to New Bern, NC for a few days and although the water and ocean are pretty and the food is phenomenal, we are just mountain/desert people I guess. We can't get used to the humidity and in many locations it is so crowded. Ran into Charleston, SC and felt like sardines. Followed that up by going to Universal Studios here in Orlando (now THAT is really a sardine can!!) and, well, we just can't wait to get back to our little fishing village in the FL panhandle then back to TX.

Hope you have good luck with the closing and things are great in NC. It IS a pretty place and I suspect it will only take a little time and you will be acclimated to the climate (you may be already; lots of folks we meet just love it).

CaptnJohn
06-23-2016, 04:42 PM
Just about 45 minutes south of you at Ocean Isle Beach NC. We traveled all over the US and lived in many places too. Greatest place is right here. We have all 4 seasons but the changes are subtle, not stupid. Close to the beach keeps humidity down, summer temps down, and winter temps up. Rarely see snow. Cold here is what I call 'Yankee cool'. Compared to everywhere else we have been taxes are LOW as well. Welcome to NC.

BirchyBoy
06-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Just about 45 minutes south of you at Ocean Isle Beach NC. We traveled all over the US and lived in many places too. Greatest place is right here. We have all 4 seasons but the changes are subtle, not stupid. Close to the beach keeps humidity down, summer temps down, and winter temps up. Rarely see snow. Cold here is what I call 'Yankee cool'. Compared to everywhere else we have been taxes are LOW as well. Welcome to NC.

Thanks! I'm super excited for something different. Been in CO now for 11 years and we're ready for a change of scenery. We're leaving our camper here and coming back for it in September. Going to spend a couple weeks in Denver catching up with my wife's family, then we'll haul it back with us and do some camping there.

One question - our Light is setup for a second a/c in the bedroom. Is it necessary in the summer months in NC?

Tbos
06-24-2016, 03:08 AM
Thanks! I'm super excited for something different. Been in CO now for 11 years and we're ready for a change of scenery. We're leaving our camper here and coming back for it in September. Going to spend a couple weeks in Denver catching up with my wife's family, then we'll haul it back with us and do some camping there.

One question - our Light is setup for a second a/c in the bedroom. Is it necessary in the summer months in NC?

On the 2nd AC I'd say if the CGs are shaded you may not need it. I'd try a summer as is and add later if you feel you need it.

byrdr1
06-24-2016, 04:29 AM

because I live in NC, I would say yes to the 2nd AC. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The summer is HOT here in NC and surrounding states and the humidity is awful. Summer humidity runs around 100% most of the time and that with a high in the 90"s makes it miserable to be in or out of the camper. We got that 2nd AC on 5er when we bought it, it was a $850 add on, best money spent. We use it a lot during summer months. Biggest thing is 50 amp sites. Most of the state parks have upgraded their electric to 30/50 amp sites so you have that and most all CG have that option too. IF you can get it installed and priced decent I would do it. shade is nice in the summer months but around here the shade is just as hot as full sun because of the humidity. We always try and go to the mountains at least once during the summer months just to escape the heat and humidity of central NC (wont happen this year due to my camper being Oklahoma, that's another thread).
Even with ocean breeze I would want 2nd AC in my camper if it could handle it.
Again this is JMHO
randy
OH yeah welcome to NC...
"I like calling North Carolina HOME!"

BirchyBoy
06-24-2016, 05:25 AM
because I live in NC, I would say yes to the 2nd AC. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The summer is HOT here in NC and surrounding states and the humidity is awful. Summer humidity runs around 100% most of the time and that with a high in the 90"s makes it miserable to be in or out of the camper. We got that 2nd AC on 5er when we bought it, it was a $850 add on, best money spent. We use it a lot during summer months. Biggest thing is 50 amp sites. Most of the state parks have upgraded their electric to 30/50 amp sites so you have that and most all CG have that option too. IF you can get it installed and priced decent I would do it. shade is nice in the summer months but around here the shade is just as hot as full sun because of the humidity. We always try and go to the mountains at least once during the summer months just to escape the heat and humidity of central NC (wont happen this year due to my camper being Oklahoma, that's another thread).
Even with ocean breeze I would want 2nd AC in my camper if it could handle it.
Again this is JMHO
randy
OH yeah welcome to NC...
"I like calling North Carolina HOME!"

Thanks for the info. It's at the dealer now getting some warranty work done. I may ask them about adding one while it's there.

gearhead
06-24-2016, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the info. It's at the dealer now getting some warranty work done. I may ask them about adding one while it's there.
I would definitely add the A/C. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

canesfan
06-24-2016, 06:32 AM
I would also definitely add the 2nd AC. I got ours with only one because 2-1/2 years ago I mostly camped Spring and Fall. Last year was the first Summer I really spent camping more than a day or two. Now VERY sorry I didn't get the second unit and am going to either add one myself or have it added. I'm about 3-4 hours North of you and also near the water. What byrdr1 said about the heat and humidity is true. You might want to give it a try the first year, but I'm thinking you're going to want/need it. Good luck on your move. I'm hoping to relocate down there sometime in the near future myself.

sourdough
06-25-2016, 09:01 PM

Get the 2nd AC. When it gets too hot your main AC won't carry the load; 13.5 or 15k. It is great to kick in the 2nd ac and kick back instead of having 4 fans running and pouring sweat praying for sundown. Even with 2 ac's, as we've experienced here in FL for the last couple of days, it takes everything they have to keep it decently cool in the camper. 2nd AC will be money well spent...IMO.

denverpilot
06-27-2016, 11:19 AM
If it's in the shop already, definitely do the second AC. It's awesome in a hot humid climate to walk inside to cool bliss, while watching the water pour off of both ends of the trailer. Heh.

CaptnJohn
06-27-2016, 07:34 PM
On the 2nd AC I'd say if the CGs are shaded you may not need it. I'd try a summer as is and add later if you feel you need it.

Wilmington ~ Leland is close to the coast and a little less humidity than inland. Far enough inland and the mountains are cooler. The mid-state is the killer. We have one 15K on our 35' 5er and it is enough, even snowbirding in FL. On the hot days we keep the shades mostly pulled if in full sun. The main thing is we do not permit the heat to get ahead and start the AC early. The dogs like the temp between 74 & 76 so my wife makes sure it is there. If it took 2, 3, or 9 ACs to keep the pups comfy, that is what we would have.

BirchyBoy
06-29-2016, 03:33 PM
We hit the first major milestone today by closing on the sale of my town home. It was hard to not pull into a Ford dealer and buy a new F-350 with cash. The wife even gave me the go ahead!

BirchyBoy
08-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Another late update! We closed on the sale of my town home and closed on a home in Leland, NC last week. I was in town for most of last week managing the closing, POD delivery and move in. I flew back to Denver on Sunday. The wife, dogs and I are driving back this Thursday with her car in tow. We're driving back in September, spending two weeks at a local campground, then pulling the camper home with us.

Tbos
08-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the East Coast. Travel safely.

gearhead
08-02-2016, 06:40 PM
You got a boat? I bet Cape Fear has some reds and flounder!

BirchyBoy
08-02-2016, 08:37 PM

Not yet, maybe next year. We need to settle in and the wife has to go back into the workforce, first.

BirchyBoy
08-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the East Coast. Travel safely.

Thanks! I'm a Mainer but the humidity will require and adjustment.

byrdr1
08-03-2016, 05:12 AM

When we drive down near the coast of NC or the Neuse River basin, Cape Fear River basin its funny to see boats in almost every driveway. Doesn't matter what kind of home they have there is the boat in the driveway. High-end houses to Mobile homes, they have a boat and its looks very as do the homes. Funny that when the wife & I are driving down that way we always say if we lived down here we would have a boat and a camper. Center console V-hull with a 150 or bigger motor, not that I would have looked at them or anything..
Glad to see you're headed our way.
enjoy our state...
Randy

BirchyBoy
08-03-2016, 07:18 AM
When we drive down near the coast of NC or the Neuse River basin, Cape Fear River basin its funny to see boats in almost every driveway. Doesn't matter what kind of home they have there is the boat in the driveway. High-end houses to Mobile homes, they have a boat and its looks very as do the homes. Funny that when the wife & I are driving down that way we always say if we lived down here we would have a boat and a camper. Center console V-hull with a 150 or bigger motor, not that I would have looked at them or anything..
Glad to see you're headed our way.
enjoy our state...
Randy

Thanks!

I want a center console, the wife wants a bow rider. We both want a big motor on the back. One of our best vacations was in Ft Meyers, Fl. House on a canal and a 26' bow rider on the dock. That 454 went through $200 in gas every day with trips around the islands, etc.

gearhead
08-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Not yet, maybe next year. We need to settle in and the wife has to go back into the workforce, first.
You the MAN! Wife going to work to buy you a boat. Will she clean fish when she gets home from her job? Well, she should wake up from your couch nap first, so you can supervise.
NauticStar 21 foot ShallowBay with Yamaha 150 been workin good for me.

BirchyBoy
11-28-2016, 10:20 AM
So, things have changed quite a bit. My wife has regretted moving away from her family and wants to go back to Denver. I was also told last week that I'm being laid off on 12/15/16. I was planning on finding a new job in June 2017, so the company has helped me along with the process. I got a call from my primary client and they're flying me to their offices for an interview next week. If all goes well, I'll take 4-6 weeks off between jobs and then will start up again at a new company.

We are considering selling our NC place and going back to Denver. If we do, it will be to live with her mom who's 93 and lives by herself. We're also considering selling my truck and our travel trailer and going with a class A camper. We had a hard time deciding on a new TT or class A, and I've been regretting our decision. I love our TT, but I'm growing tired of the whole hitching/unhitching and setting up and tearing down process. It isn't hard by any means, but it is getting less fun every time we go.

So, long story short, we may be making some changes again way ahead of my "planned" schedule. I love NC and it will be hard for me to put our house on the market and leave the area. If we do move from here, I'll likely be flying from Denver to Atlanta for a week every month, and my wife will be able to spend time with her mom and be an in-home care provider when the time is right.

JRTJH
11-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Life has a funny way of putting us where we need to be, sometimes not exactly where we want to be. Good luck on the new job, hopefully the interview will go well and things will fall into place for you.

As for the switch from a trailer/TV to a motorhome, if hitching/unhitching is your "issue" remember that you'll either have to "tow a toad" or walk everywhere/drive the motorhome (which means breaking camp, unlevelling, stowing stuff and possibly not having your site when you return.

I found that it's much easier to hitch/unhitch a travel trailer than to drive a toad up onto a dolly or onto a second trailer and tie it down. There are some good reasons for going the motorhome route, but consider how you camp, travel and whether you'll want a second vehicle so you don't have to drive the MH everywhere. If you do feel the need for a toad, you'll be hitching/unhitching just as often as you do with a travel trailer.

Here's hoping things work out the way you want !!! Good Luck

BirchyBoy
11-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Life has a funny way of putting us where we need to be, sometimes not exactly where we want to be. Good luck on the new job, hopefully the interview will go well and things will fall into place for you.

As for the switch from a trailer/TV to a motorhome, if hitching/unhitching is your "issue" remember that you'll either have to "tow a toad" or walk everywhere/drive the motorhome (which means breaking camp, unlevelling, stowing stuff and possibly not having your site when you return.

I found that it's much easier to hitch/unhitch a travel trailer than to drive a toad up onto a dolly or onto a second trailer and tie it down. There are some good reasons for going the motorhome route, but consider how you camp, travel and whether you'll want a second vehicle so you don't have to drive the MH everywhere. If you do feel the need for a toad, you'll be hitching/unhitching just as often as you do with a travel trailer.

Here's hoping things work out the way you want !!! Good Luck

All good points. We'd be flat towing, so a tow bar and no trailer. Most of our trips are one or two nights without any supply runs once we"re there. Also, the wife wants the ability for her and our dogs to be able to move around during some while driving on longer trips. I don't love that idea, but I'm not the boss, just the breadwinner.

Tbos
11-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Wherever life ends up taking you, please keep in touch. We are considering a move to a Class A when we retire. If you do, we'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas about the move after you make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CaptnJohn
11-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear you may be leaving NC. Going back to cold and snow is not in my DNA. I too got tired of the TT tagging along. Bought a new Class A and toad. For us it was the biggest mistake ever. Hated towing a toad and dislike driving anything small even around town. Started traveling less and less and sold both at a loss in less than 2 years. Found we disliked hotels even more. Bought a 35' 5er and F350 diesel, should have done that 20 years ago. Easy to tow, no sway, easy to hitch/unhitch (faster smoother than the toad too), less expensive in every way compared to the A and slightly more than the TT. I'm 68 so easy is nice. According to the RV tv program more full timers are in 5ers than anything else ~~ surprised me when I heard it but certainly understand it.

CaptnJohn
11-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Wherever life ends up taking you, please keep in touch. We are considering a move to a Class A when we retire. If you do, we'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas about the move after you make it.

Before you buy an A, rent one for a couple months. While renting check out some 5ers before you buy the A. Just expressing my experience.

Tbos
11-28-2016, 07:00 PM
Sorry to hear you may be leaving NC. Going back to cold and snow is not in my DNA. I too got tired of the TT tagging along. Bought a new Class A and toad. For us it was the biggest mistake ever. Hated towing a toad and dislike driving anything small even around town. Started traveling less and less and sold both at a loss in less than 2 years. Found we disliked hotels even more. Bought a 35' 5er and F350 diesel, should have done that 20 years ago. Easy to tow, no sway, easy to hitch/unhitch (faster smoother than the toad too), less expensive in every way compared to the A and slightly more than the TT. I'm 68 so easy is nice. According to the RV tv program more full timers are in 5ers than anything else ~~ surprised me when I heard it but certainly understand it.

John, What RV tv program are you referring to? Thanks.

Tbos
11-28-2016, 07:10 PM
Before you buy an A, rent one for a couple months. While renting check out some 5ers before you buy the A. Just expressing my experience.

We've been looking at 5ers and class As. Have a list of both that we like. Several of my local friends have moved to class As and love them. My Dad went from a pop up to 2 class Cs and then 2 Class As. The last was a 36' diesel pusher. He recommended I find some to let me drive one for a while and then rent for a while too. Haven't made a decision yet. I retire the 2nd time in a few years and we hope to full time the last year we work. So we still have time. Of course if we made the decision sooner we could be paying off some of a 1ton truck while we still are working. It's a tough decision. Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.

ctbruce
11-29-2016, 04:05 AM
Good luck with the life changes coming your way. Kill your interview and get where you need to be.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!