PDA

View Full Version : pin box concern

ledunn
04-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Thinking of buying a High Country 305RL. It has a Lippert 1116 pin box. Will be towing with a F-250 with 6 3/4 bed, Companion non slide hitch. By looking at it doesn't seem to be leaving much room for tight turns. Ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

JRTJH
04-08-2016, 06:53 PM
At present, you're "speculation" is that you think you might have a problem. The only way to know for sure is to hitch it up, back at an angle and see just how much clearance you have. Nothing will replace "seeing and believing". Once you've measured the angle you can achieve, please post the results so others will have a better idea if they consider the same hitch and trailer.

Hansel
04-13-2016, 06:24 AM
I have a F-250 with the short bed, and they installed a Curt slider hitch. Did I need it, not really, but being able too slide the hitch back does give more room for tight backing. I'd get a slider and be safe:)

mets721
04-14-2016, 04:50 PM
I have a 250 with 6 3/4 bed also. Just bought a Cougar and upon backing it into the driveway I needed to make a really tight turn because of cars parked on the other side of the street. I was able to get to almost 90 but at that point it was about 2 inches from contact. I'm installing a Reese Sidewinder tomorrow. Not that I plan on making those types of turns all of the time, but I would just feel better with the extra clearance. It will be especially helpful when backing in at home. At least that's what I hope!

CaptnJohn
04-14-2016, 05:04 PM
I have a 2016 F250 short bed. I had a Reese 15K slider installed. I have never used it BUT should have once.

danimal
04-15-2016, 06:16 PM
At present, you're "speculation" is that you think you might have a problem. The only way to know for sure is to hitch it up, back at an angle and see just how much clearance you have. Nothing will replace "seeing and believing". Once you've measured the angle you can achieve, please post the results so others will have a better idea if they consider the same hitch and trailer.

X2. My 2 cents I have a F250 short box with Reese 15K slider. I have had to use it 4 times in 5 years. What should have been the 5th time I did not use it and busted out the back window of the truck. There is a caveat in that, however, I had been driving for 10 hours, I was dead tired and tried to back up in pitch black. Turned out to be a bad idea.