PDA

View Full Version : Keys for Cougar Fifth Wheel

NJdudette
04-04-2016, 04:23 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help me because I'm not sure what else to do. I recently purchased a fifth wheel from Camping World. When I got it home, I had issues with the door latch (door wouldn't open) and needed a locksmith to come to my house. Needless to say, I broke one of my keys. It was a hassle getting in touch with someone at Camping World let alone get a replacement key. I finally got someone to send me a blank key (they charged me for it) and when I took it to a locksmith he didn't think it was the right key <ugh>. Probably the wrong call, but I told him to cut it anyway and maybe it would work. It's worth mentioning Camping World is 2+ hours away from me. Well, it didn't work. I'm not sure how much of a hassle they are going to give me and quite frankly I'm tired of dealing with them. Does anyone know who makes Cougar's keys? It's not Lippert Components and when I called Keystone they told me I'd have to deal with Camping World. I just want to get a spare key...

cpaulsen
04-04-2016, 05:07 PM
When I had a Cougar.....I stopped by an ACE Hardware store and they had the right key blank and made me an extra key right there

JRTJH
04-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Your locksets are probably made by Fastec. The keys are numbered HF 301 through HF351. You can order replacement keys from the manufacturer at this website: http://www.fastecindustrial.com/products/hf300.html

Tbos
04-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Is there a another dealer close that sells cougar? If you can get the key number off the lock you might be able buy some from them. When I was picking up my Passport and doing the PDI I made the mistake of testing all 4 keys in the front door lock. How was I supposed to know the two doors were not keyed the same. The key turned but never turned back and it ended up being stuck in the lock. They ended up replacing the lock. The PDI tech was not happy. Good luck.

dcg9381
04-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Seriously, Camping World - that kind of service is ridiculous.

As JRTJH says, they're probably super generic. The key probably has a number on the base - all you need is that number.

I ended up wanting to re-key the front and rear doors to match, as well as re-key all of the baggage compartments. Ousr started with a "G" code and door latches still had a logo to the website below. (Made by Global Link?)

You can't get the tool to replace the cylinders unless you're a locksmith or use the dealer - so it was a lot less expensive for me just to buy one new latch and several baggage locks. When you buy them, you get to specify what key code:

Keys: http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global-Link-and-Fastec-FIC-Brand-RV-Locks-and-Keys/Global-Link-RV-Locks-and-Keys#.VwMVwXqbV6Q
Baggage latches /keys: http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global-Link-and-Fastec-FIC-Brand-RV-Locks-and-Keys/CH-751-CK-330

NJdudette
04-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Your locksets are probably made by Fastec. The keys are numbered HF 301 through HF351. You can order replacement keys from the manufacturer at this website: http://www.fastecindustrial.com/products/hf300.html

Nope, not Fastec :-(. Only has a three digit number, no letters.

There are two RV dealers nearby. One doesn't sell Keystone and the other does. I can try them both, maybe they'll have a blank key. Ugh, this is becoming such a nightmare.:banghead:

chuckster57
04-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Maybe a Bauer key? Oblong head. Not common, so getting a replacement may be a bit of a chore.

Trimark also makes door locks, round head but IIRC 4 digits for the cut.

NJdudette
04-04-2016, 06:21 PM
It looks like a Fastec key, same color and shape, but it only has a three digit number.

If I remove the door latch will I see the manufacturer name?

281bullet
04-04-2016, 06:28 PM
I bought my extra keys on Ebay. Just order they same key code. Mine worked great.

cant_remember_ID
04-04-2016, 06:36 PM
For about $30, buy a whole new latch handle. On mine, the entry door has a different key than the outside storage doors.

chuckster57
04-04-2016, 06:38 PM
I can't say for certain that I have seen brand names on the lock set. I know there should be a sticker with the key code.

chuckster57
04-04-2016, 06:40 PM
For about $30, buy a whole new latch handle. On mine, the entry door has a different key than the outside storage doors.

That's always an option. And knowing that the fastec and Bauer locks are easy to open with a common pass key, you might want to consider the trimark. Pass key is not nearly as common.

NJdudette
04-04-2016, 07:03 PM
It says FIC on the key and so far everything I pull up on the internet says it's a Fastec key, but there is no alpha code on the key, only numerical. Sooo frustrating!

dcg9381
04-04-2016, 07:05 PM
post some photos of the key / latch.

NJdudette
04-04-2016, 07:14 PM
See if this attachment works. The number is 042.

chuckster57
04-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Let me check my sources in the morning. I have seen FIC keys with only a 3 digit number.

JRTJH
04-04-2016, 07:47 PM
FIC is Fastec Industrial Corp. They are located in Johnson City, TN and are open for business 8AM to 5PM Mon-Fri. You can give them a call at 1-800-837-2505 in the morning and they will get you what you need.

Good Luck

dcg9381
04-05-2016, 04:12 AM
JRTJH, Camping World owes you a customer-service commission...

NJdudette
04-05-2016, 05:26 AM
Here's a pic of the door latch. It says "FIC by FAP." What little I'm finding on the internet is it's Fastec. Right?? It's a Leonardo Travel Trailer Lock.

NJdudette
04-05-2016, 05:43 AM
I'm thinking that I have to replace the lock because the one I have is engineered in Italy by FAP. I'm sorry, but I think it's ridiculous that install a component on a trailer that you can't get parts for!

NJdudette
04-05-2016, 05:55 AM
I called Fastec and spoke to a really nice guy who helped me out. Yayyyyy!!!! Although the person I spoke to two weeks ago told me it wasn't their key, go figure. The keys are on backorder, but as soon as they come in they'll send them to me.

Thanks everyone for your help. I REALLY do appreciate it :)

JRTJH
04-05-2016, 08:15 AM
Just as a little "background history" so you'll understand a bit about the "Italian locksets".... FASTEC was obtaining their locks from China. About 3 years ago, they started having some "lockout/lockin" problems where people couldn't get out of their trailer and couldn't unlock it from the outside. They had a "model wide" recall and replaced a "HUGE" number of lock cylinders and locksets. That put them at a significant backlog for parts as well as inventory to provide to the RV manufacturers.

So, one solution was to find another supplier of locksets. FAP "just happened" to be producing locks and FASTEC started using them as well as the Chinese locksets. Since FAP is "relatively new" to the FASTEC line (about 18 months), there isn't a lot of "parts inventory" and from your experience a couple weeks ago, there isn't a lot of "factory knowledge" about their "relatively new" products.

Anyway, now you have the "Paul Harvey" rest of the story.......

Glad you got your problem solved !!!!!

R&KFerguson
04-07-2016, 11:15 AM
We have the exact lock & key set...our 3rd in 6 months...kept getting stuck in lock mode...had to dismantle lock handle to just close the door...will be replacing with something completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hdxbonez
04-07-2016, 12:08 PM
I have them on my cougar as well. I found that if the screws used to assemble the two halves are too tight, the deadbolt is difficult to use. I've loosened the screws a little bit and the lock sets operate much better.

Sulphur1
04-09-2016, 04:22 AM
Same as 281Bullet - just ordered the same number key on eBay
Cheers
Jon

NJdudette
04-18-2016, 06:52 AM
It's been 2 weeks and still no keys. I tried calling, but I'm getting a recording that no one is available. I'm searching eBay to see if I can get the keys. What a nightmare!!

Desert185
04-18-2016, 07:07 AM
It's been 2 weeks and still no keys. I tried calling, but I'm getting a recording that no one is available. I'm searching eBay to see if I can get the keys. What a nightmare!!

Yet another use for Gorilla tape. :cool:

NJdudette
05-09-2016, 07:02 AM
The key saga continues :( . It's been 5 weeks and still no key. I've tried calling and I've left messages and no call back. I attempted to buy a new door latch, but since Keystone used a door latch from Italy, the dimensions are different and I can't find one that will fit (they're all too small). I can't find replacement keys anywhere because FAP was new to Keystone and no one carries the key. I'm stuck, not to mention I'm nervous because I'm down to one key and if that breaks I'm screwed.

I'm going to send the company a certified letter, but I'm not sure what that will get me, probably more silence.

JRTJH
05-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Try RV Locks and more http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global-Link-and-Fastec-FIC-Brand-RV-Locks-and-Keys/GLI-and-FIC-Keys#.VzCvo7v2apo

You can call them at 888 400 9849.

It's been almost 2 months, if you can't get keys from this business, shoot me a PM and I'll locate a key for you.

NJdudette
05-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Thanks for your help, the website doesn't have the key I need. Appears Fastec didn't take that into consideration when they ordered locks from FAP in Italy - the keys are a rare commodity. I'll give them a call. Worse comes to worse, I found a FAP replacement entry door latch on eBay which will fit. Who would have thought getting a key would be so difficult??

jje1960
05-09-2016, 01:48 PM
It was a couple of years ago, however I'm positive it was Fastec that I ordered extra keys for both front and rear doors in our SRX, they work perfectly.