PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to rewinterize my water lines?

busterbrown
04-03-2016, 02:11 PM
I picked up my new Bullet travel trailer 2 weeks ago. The dealer dewinterized it for the most part. It's been sitting in our driveway ever since. Nightly lows have been above 30 for the most part but we did have a 26 degree night yesterday. I left a portable heater as well as turned on the propane furnace to 60 degrees. I have about a 1/4 tank of fresh water in the tank, very little gray water (under 1/8 I assume), and just the most minimal amount of black water, no solids).

Forecast for this week has 2 days in the lower 20's. I need to get the trailer back to RV storage tomorrow. Should I re-winterize it completely before taking it back to storage? Or can I just open faucets and depressurize lines for the couple of days it'll be around 22 degrees? After Thursday, night time lows will be much higher than freezing.

chuckster57
04-03-2016, 03:21 PM
If you can locate the low point drains, just open them and then turn on all the faucets in the trailer. Gravity will drain the water in the fresh water system. The water in the holding tanks isn't an issue as long as they aren't full.

My trailer sat for a week in 17* at night and lower 40's daytime without issue.

14george
04-03-2016, 03:30 PM
What chuckster57 said probably should drain hot water tank

busterbrown
04-03-2016, 03:52 PM
I will do just that. I'll drain the fresh water tank in the morning and leave open, open up all the faucets, and then drain the hotwater tank. Last thing I want are cracked lines for our first trip out in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the advice.

chuckster57
04-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Water heater tank is insulated with a think chunk of Styrofoam. I didn't drain mine, but if you think you need to you only have to drain it a little.

Think ice cube trays. When you fill them with water and stick them into the freezer, how much does the water expand? Having an air gap in the fresh, gray and black tank will allow for any liquid to expand and freeze.

chris199
04-05-2016, 02:03 PM
We are getting a few mid 20's days as well. Just winterized again last night. Had already drained the hot water heater and drains.

Just put the pink stuff in for peace of mind. Took 15 mins....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk