PDA

View Full Version : Raptor backup camera (Garmin BC-30)

Wildhorse
03-14-2016, 07:43 PM
First off, just for general information I have a 2016 Raptor 355TS. I thought I'd share a problem with my backup camera that caused me to dig into the trailer to find it. Hopefully if you have an issue with your camera not syncing to the GPS this might help or at least save you some grief. Also there
are a couple of conclusions or observations that I have come to that might be helpful for you as well.

Following the onscreen directions on the Garmin GPS to sync the cameras they go into putting the vehicle into park to remove power from the camera, and then instruct you to select "Okay" on the GPS to acknowledge doing so. Then the next page comes up with an instruction that says to step on the brake and put the vehicle in reverse to power the camera which will cause the GPS to sync with it. Well I did this enough times to convince me that it wasn't going to work, said a dirty word or two and moved on. Long story short I had switched voltage at the plug in the bed of my truck when the vehicle went into reverse, so I went to the electrical box just behind the hitch on the trailer where the wires from the plug terminate. Here I found the reason that going in and out of reverse didn't help. The Yellow wire which is for the backup function isn't connected to anything in the trailer by Keystone.

Looking onward I eventually found a plastic cover on the wall inside the front closet on the driver side of the trailer just above the shelf. Removing this cover exposed a hole in the wall with the transmitters and fuses for the BC-30 system tied up and just dangling inside the wall. My Raptor came with a camera for the back as well as one over the main entry door and everything for both was found here.

Using a 12v cigarette lighter jack near the bed I plugged in the GPS and followed the directions again, but instead of putting the truck into reverse to remove power which obviously I didn't do being in the trailer and for the reasons above. At this point to remove power from the camera the fuse holders were opened up and then put one back together at the prompt to put the foot on the brake and shifting into reverse to apply power. The camera synced right off. Then I did the same procedure for the other one.

Going back to the truck with the GPS and plugging it in to the cigarette lighter both cameras worked as advertised. I don't know why the cameras were never synced at the factory, or if the receiver was switched out by the dealer or something before I took delivery, but this has been driving me nuts knowing the trailer has a feature I couldn't access. The last thing I wanted to do was take the Raptor in to the shop to let some hack tear into it over something small like this.

In closing I have a few thoughts on this...

1. I like that the cameras are powered from house power within the trailer from the factory because this way I can have the backup camera on while on the highway helping to see what is behind me. Good for Keystone!

2. The cameras are always turned on as long as there is battery voltage in the trailer. This is an obvious draw that is helping to kill the batteries quickly when camping or when the trailer is not in use. Before putting the cover back on the closet wall I'm going to break into each circuit and put a switch for both cameras so that I can turn them off from inside the closet. I haven't yet checked to see of the built in battery disconnect switch shuts these down or not, but I still want them powered down while camping to save battery life.

3. I learned that there are fuses for these devices hidden in the wall. Geese...

Sorry for the long post, but I couldn't find a thing online about the wiring or a wiring diagram for my trailer and thought that I can't be the only one having a problem with the cameras.

jlensi
03-25-2016, 04:32 PM
I had the same problem when trying to sync mine. And ended up doing the same things you stated. In the future, if you remove the power to the transmitter by turning off your battery cutoff switch you will get the same results.(make sure you are unplugged from shore power also)

HomeyHD
01-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks for sharing your dilemma and fix. I just bought a 2016 352TS and found the same issue...factory didn't sync it. Even worse, apparently the factory is now only supplying a basic GPS , not the RV version (nuvi56LM versus the RV760 or 660 LMT). I, for 1, think that is like giving a hiker a car GPS. It will do the job and point them in the right direction, but not for the intended purpose. Same with a basic GPS versus the RV; especially when it is installed in a 13'2" high camper with some heavy axles. But I guess that is the consumer beware versus great customer service these days.

So during my purchase and walk-through they stated it was all installed, good to go. But after hooking up and leaving (after they closed), found the cameras aren't synced.

I immediately parked it (live 400+ miles away) and winterized/covered it for the season so didn't get time to tear open the walls. I'm hoping my connections are near to the same as yours was, but on the opposite side as I see a black plastic cover in a closet/cabinet in the master suite, on the right side.

HomeyHD
01-14-2017, 11:36 AM
So I opened up my compartment in the front right corner of master suite and see wires, but no modules dangling. Anyone know if it is located elsewhere on 352TS? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Wildhorse
01-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Something I learned after writing this post originally was that the cameras are wired to bypass the battery cutoff switch as the trailer came from the factory. That is why I couldn't remove power to get them to sync. If you remove one battery lead temporarily and then reconnect it you should be able to sync the cameras without going through installing a switch in the closet like I did. This might save you some grief finding the cabling.

HomeyHD
01-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Something I learned after writing this post originally was that the cameras are wired to bypass the battery cutoff switch as the trailer came from the factory. That is why I couldn't remove power to get them to sync. If you remove one battery lead temporarily and then reconnect it you should be able to sync the cameras without going through installing a switch in the closet like I did. This might save you some grief finding the cabling.
Doing that, would it reset the incommand and leveling systems to a default not original?
I've already learned quickly that although new technology is great, it is also a hinder when it fails. Today had to turn off then back on master battery switch b/c my lights wouldn't respond using the command center.

MattHelm21
01-14-2017, 10:10 PM
Today had to turn off then back on master battery switch b/c my lights wouldn't respond using the command center.

I think there are some other threads on this topic but I have had the command pad stop working or behave eratically after my unit sits for some time. Besides holding the power button in on the command pad and performing a complete shutdown and then restart(works most of the time), there is a master reset on the BCM which should make it unnecessary to cycle the battery switch.

There was also an upgrade on the Jenson site for the iN·Command system which I applied. I think instructions are available in another thread if you do a search.

Wildhorse
01-14-2017, 10:29 PM
BTW I'm betting the cables are in the wall behind the plastic panel in the front closet. Try an inspection mirror and a flashlight to see if they are off to the side, above or below the cutout. I think that's all that access is for.

HomeyHD
01-15-2017, 06:20 AM
Thank u all for the advice. I'll post with update once I'm back in it.

HomeyHD
02-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Thank u all for the advice. I'll post with update once I'm back in it.

Found the modules were beind that bulkhrad panel...down quite a ways with lots of cord. Then found Keystone or dealer put 500mA fuses in, where Garmin called for 2A. Rear camera works, but side door pops every time. So trip to dealer is in my future.

PARAPTOR
02-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Found the modules were beind that bulkhrad panel...down quite a ways with lots of cord. Then found Keystone or dealer put 500mA fuses in, where Garmin called for 2A. Rear camera works, but side door pops every time. So trip to dealer is in my future.

Just remember all these nice Keystone surprise packages are Free of Charge :facepalm: "Where did they put ......", How do I get to ......" etc, Keeps things interesting :banghead:

canesfan
02-19-2017, 10:08 AM

My entry doors will open if I don't lock them. Found out early on when I got to where I was going and undid the folding handle and the door opened. Messed with the latches but I don't trust them now and always lock the deadbolt when traveling now.

PARAPTOR
02-19-2017, 10:26 AM
My entry doors will open if I don't lock them. Found out early on when I got to where I was going and undid the folding handle and the door opened. Messed with the latches but I don't trust them now and always lock the deadbolt when traveling now.

Doors must be haunted :eek: in these Raptors, had the opposite happen with me. Could not get into living area from the outside, keys in hand :banghead: Tried everything when I calmed down a bit remembered that there was a garage door. All most good, slide is closed :facepalm: Okay into the woods to find a long branch to reach through the crack of the door across the living area to the slide open switch on the entertainment center. Slide opens now inside, but still could not get door open. with neighbor pulling on the outside and me pushing on the inside it finally broke loose. So yes I am convinced Raptor doors are haunted. Just what you need after you just pull into a camp site.

suddensam
03-06-2017, 04:40 PM
When I went through the same thing on my 2015 332TS I solved the issue a little different. I added a switch to allow it to be always on (as originally installed), off, or powered via the lights. I knew that if I just had it on a switch in the cabinet I'd routinely forget to turn it off and have an undesired draw on the batteries.

Since making the change I've left the switch in the powered off the lights position and it has been working great. if I want the camera on when driving down the road I just have to turn the vehicle lights on and the camera comes on. Here (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22448) is the write up I did for the modification
Sam

Family of 7
05-18-2017, 08:22 PM
I pulled the fuse to the BCM and was successful at resetting my InCommand. Thank you for all of the talk about the cameras. I bought my 352TS used and do not have the GPS. I need to make the purchase. Any recommendations on unit? Is there anyway it would sync to a smart phone?