PDA

View Full Version : Stove hood/fan upgrade

notanlines
03-11-2016, 03:32 AM
I searched but couldn't find the thread where this was posted previously so I thought I better give credit where due. I ordered and installed the SAM-1 vent fan and light upgrade kit from this site: http://www.rvvent.com/fabulousoperatingproducts.htm
Start to finish I spent about 2 hours following directions. Everything about this kit is exactly as advertised. I did not install the new exterior vent that was included because I hadn't brought a good ladder, but everything else went great. I suppose it remains to be seen if it was worth the $199 but we're happy so far.

JRTJH
03-11-2016, 05:37 AM
I installed the SAM-1 kit last spring. We were truly impressed with the quiet, efficient fan. I wasn't "thrilled" with the color of the LED lights, but after a while, the "blueness" grew on us and we don't notice it much any more.

The fan, on low, moved more air than the OEM fan and we could hardly hear the new fan when it was in operation. Any "background noise" and it's real easy to forget it's on (not good for dry camping) LOL

We enjoy ours, I think you'll find it to be an "expensive" but good mod as well.

After using it a bit, post your feelings. We're happy with ours !!!

dcg9381
03-11-2016, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the reference to that product!

tommy_z
03-15-2016, 06:25 AM
My trailer didn't come with an exterior exhaust, and the hood fan was useless. So I struggled with smoke/odor control while cooking.

I removed the cooktop hood and put in a new LED fixture. Since I had a ceiling vent in the kitchen area, I replaced it with a Maxxair powered fan. If I open the window by the cooktop, and crank up the fan, it moves so much air that smoke and odor is no longer a problem. I'm very happy with this change.

slow
03-15-2016, 07:06 AM
My trailer didn't come with an exterior exhaust, and the hood fan was useless. So I struggled with smoke/odor control while cooking.

I removed the cooktop hood and put in a new LED fixture. Since I had a ceiling vent in the kitchen area, I replaced it with a Maxxair powered fan. If I open the window by the cooktop, and crank up the fan, it moves so much air that smoke and odor is no longer a problem. I'm very happy with this change.

ditto, this was also my solution.

But the Sam-1 vent fan upgrade looks appealing if I had no roof vent near the stove.

mosquitoman
03-17-2016, 03:55 AM
My Passport also did not vent the hood outside. It was really easy to cut a hole in the wall, I found the correct sized metal duct to connect it to my hood. It now works like it should have from the start.

GaryWT
03-17-2016, 05:08 AM
You all need to learn to cook better, lol. Glad you have found a solution that has worked out. To date no issues for me so all is good.