PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Montana High Country 353rl Questions

david5311
03-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone. We are looking at 5th Wheels for our retirement and have a few questions. The Keystone High Country Web sight looks like it might be for 2015, not 2016.
1. Can you get the 6 point hyd. leveling system on the 353rl? If not, does the four point leveling system work?
2. Are the Microwave Ovens Convection ovens?
3. Can you get the 50 amp auto roll up electric cord?
4. We have a 2015 Chevy 3500 diesel SRW Pickup. The listed GTW is 14200 lbs on the 353rl. any issues pulling this 5th wheel? We like the B & W slider hitch.
I am sure I will have other questions later. Thanks for all the help

bwright
03-07-2016, 08:01 PM
We have a 2015 353RL, love it! Bought our unit in August and did several weekends of tailgating at college football this fall. We love the unit with no big problems do far.

1. We have the 4pt leveling, I don't think the 6pt is an option. The 4 pt leveling works great!

2. Our microwave is not convection.

3. No roll up cord, but would be a great option

4. We pull with a 2016 F350 SRW Diesel, pulls great. Just put it on the scales this week, but I haven't looked at the numbers yet. I think you will be fine.

JAbraham03
03-08-2016, 06:19 AM
We have a 2016 370BR with the 4 point leveling system. Doesn't it work as a 6 point though? The controller moves the front, middle and rear electric rams up, down, and side to side. You do have to pull the pins on the front which to me seems dumb when they are electric rather than just have the same as the middle and rears like the straight up Montana's have.

Maybe I am viewing the system wrong when the auto level kicks in.

gearhead
03-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Hello everyone. We are looking at 5th Wheels for our retirement and have a few questions. The Keystone High Country Web sight looks like it might be for 2015, not 2016.
1. Can you get the 6 point hyd. leveling system on the 353rl? If not, does the four point leveling system work?
2. Are the Microwave Ovens Convection ovens?
3. Can you get the 50 amp auto roll up electric cord?
4. We have a 2015 Chevy 3500 diesel SRW Pickup. The listed GTW is 14200 lbs on the 353rl. any issues pulling this 5th wheel? We like the B & W slider hitch.
I am sure I will have other questions later. Thanks for all the help

The website doesn't show 6pt., just refers to rear electric jacks. With those rear jacks and the front legs it would be 4 pt. Those work well on our 305rl.
No convection on ours but it's high watt..maybe 1750.
Roll up cord most likely after market. If the elect plug is on the rear, a roll up will just be for storage. You will have to unroll it and drag/carry it to the rear plug and the power post. I think most folks just keep the elect power cords, adapters and extensions in a plastic tub. I would recommend buying a 50 amp extension cord....10-15 ft. long.
You will be close on payload capacity of the 3500 SRW. The website shows 2300 hitch weight. You will likely be at or over 3,000 when all loaded up. Check the yellow tag on the Chevy inside the driver door frame. Probably shows 3500-3700. Remember to add hitch weight, passengers and any cargo. That said a lot of folks are towing over their listed payload capacity. You are at a legal risk. Your call.
**If it has the glass shower doors, be sure you keep the little latch well secured. I have curtain rods lying in the bottom tracks to keep mine from sliding loose and breaking.

gearhead
03-08-2016, 07:57 AM
We have a 2015 353RL, love it! Bought our unit in August and did several weekends of tailgating at college football this fall. We love the unit with no big problems do far.

1. We have the 4pt leveling, I don't think the 6pt is an option. The 4 pt leveling works great!

2. Our microwave is not convection.

3. No roll up cord, but would be a great option

4. We pull with a 2016 F350 SRW Diesel, pulls great. Just put it on the scales this week, but I haven't looked at the numbers yet. I think you will be fine.

Please post back when you look at your numbers.

CWSWine
03-08-2016, 01:33 PM
When you get around to check numbers here is a great site to punch your numbers into and check you math...

http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/FifthWheelCatScales

david5311
03-12-2016, 06:43 AM
Thanks for all the help

A few more questions
Are there 2 gray water tanks? If so are they manifolded together. I guess the question is do both tanks fill up together or are they separate? How many valves are on the tanks? 1 gray and 1 black? 2 gray and 1 black?

Does the black cap in the front of trailer get hot in the summer time? Oklahoma heat at 100 deg. gets hot

Again thanks for the help

gearhead
03-12-2016, 07:07 AM
Thanks for all the help

A few more questions
Are there 2 gray water tanks? If so are they manifolded together. I guess the question is do both tanks fill up together or are they separate? How many valves are on the tanks? 1 gray and 1 black? 2 gray and 1 black?

Does the black cap in the front of trailer get hot in the summer time? Oklahoma heat at 100 deg. gets hot

Again thanks for the help

Our 305rl has 2 gray tanks. There is a drain valve for one, the shower & bath sink, in the "convenience center", where the black valve and water connections are. The other drain is for the kitchen sink and is near the frame in front of the wheels. Both drains go into the main dump line. So, 2 gray valves and one black valve.
The high country model line was changed a bit last year so the new one could be different. The new ones aren't as wide and I assume a few other changes.

The black cap...I never noticed any extra heat. The clothes closet is at the very front and may create a dead air space that "could" act as insulation I suppose. Most definitely get the optional 13.5 BTU A/C for the bedroom.

bwright
03-12-2016, 08:04 PM
The 353RL's two gray water tanks are independent of each other. The sink galley is one tank and the shower and bath sink the other tank.