PDA

View Full Version : Washing my Cougar

Sherwolfe
03-07-2016, 02:40 PM
So is there any special solutions to wash down my Cougar TT, more importantly any solutions to avoid. I need to wash our Cougar and then once dry I will use the 303 Aerospace solution for the final shine.

TAZ23
03-07-2016, 02:56 PM
I have always used Dawn dish soap and water. it works good at getting bugs. sap, etc... Its safe and mild on most every surface.

Sherwolfe
03-07-2016, 03:01 PM
I have always used Dawn dish soap and water. it works good at getting bugs. sap, etc... Its safe and mild on most every surface.

Thank you for the reply.

Tbos
03-07-2016, 03:38 PM
I've used turtle wax car wash concentrate. Diluted of course. Does an ok job.

nellie1289
03-07-2016, 04:32 PM
So is there any special solutions to wash down my Cougar TT, more importantly any solutions to avoid. I need to wash our Cougar and then once dry I will use the 303 Aerospace solution for the final shine.

Sherwolfe go to the Salem Costco and get that big bottle of meguiars car soap and one of the soft brushes Costco sells too. Works great! Make sure you hand dry it if you want lasting results and shine on your unit.

kimanderson98642
03-07-2016, 04:42 PM
X2 on the Dawn Dish soap. Always worked well. I also use it on the roof.

CaptnJohn
03-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Dawn is known to remove grease AND wax. I've been washing RVs for decades. Made little difference on aluminum sided TTs BUT I don't know of any dishes or pots and pans made of fiberglass. What I have also been washing for decades in a saltwater environment is boats ~ fiberglass boats. I've been using marine products on my RVs for a long time. Most recently OrPine ~ a concentrate 1 oz to 3 gallons of water. It is a wash/wax. It will not attract or hold dust, dirt, grime and not a problem on fiberglass, windows, metal or [painted surfaces. just my 2 cents.. if anyone wants to see how well it works come help wash the boat and 5er next week.

TAZ23
03-08-2016, 02:33 AM
Dawn works very well on fiberglass (gelcoat) as well as rubber roofs, awnings, and glass, etc. Sherwolfe wants to clean and then use 303 protectant on the trailer. 303 is very good stuff and easy to apply, but it needs to be put on a clean. dry surface so the wax residue needs to be removed to allow it to work right.

jkohler70
03-08-2016, 06:28 AM
You might want to do an internet search on dishwashing liquid and RV's. I found several sites that state it can damage the gel-coat. It's also hard to rinse thoroughly, and can leave a film.

CWSWine
03-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Dawn will remove most modern waxes so if used you should apply another coat of wax right after washing. You can use some the auto car washes that don't remove the wax between waxing and use dawn when you want to strip and start with a new base. There are several wash and wax product but most of these don't last long on a surface and should be replied often. A good synthetic applied by hand is the best protect and will last 6 months to year.

Sherwolfe
03-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Many thanks to those who have responded, certainly do appreciate the input and suggestions.

Dave B
03-08-2016, 10:33 AM
The very best solution to washing your TT is to talk your wife into doing it. Having said that however, I hope you have better luck than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gearhead
03-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Last year I was in a campground and asked the owner of a shiny RV what wax he was using. "None" He said he only used Meguiars Ulimate Wash & Wax. Get it at WalMart. It's yellow. I had previously waxed with Meguairs Pinnacle Marine wax. I'm not sure if I will wax this year. Maybe just the front cap.

Sherwolfe
03-09-2016, 08:49 AM
The very best solution to washing your TT is to talk your wife into doing it. Having said that however, I hope you have better luck than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great solution, however, since you also know my wife you already know the outcome of making such a suggestion. Besides, you are just looking for some entertainment if I were silly enough to ask her.

I think I am better off following the suggestions already made, thanks anyway.

Dave W
03-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Any good, brand name car wash will work just fine. Dawn is not a good choice unless you are planning a fresh wax job (not just polish - there is a difference). As far as 303 Protectant, I'll only do tires and the tonneau cover on my TV though others extol the virtues of using it elsewhere. Wax (Meguire's, IMO) works best.

Your trailer though and you have to do what you feel is best:D

CaptnJohn
03-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Dawn will remove most modern waxes so if used you should apply another coat of wax right after washing. You can use some the auto car washes that don't remove the wax between waxing and use dawn when you want to strip and start with a new base. There are several wash and wax product but most of these don't last long on a surface and should be replied often. A good synthetic applied by hand is the best protect and will last 6 months to year.

There are some great marine waxes also. OrPine wash/wax on every wash and Star Bright has a great easy to use wax. Very little (other than pine sap) is tougher on fiberglass than living in saltwater.

CWSWine
03-10-2016, 06:11 PM
There are some great marine waxes also. OrPine wash/wax on every wash and Star Bright has a great easy to use wax. Very little (other than pine sap) is tougher on fiberglass than living in saltwater.

The longest lasting and most protective I have seen is one call Zanio and will last a year and still bead. It's two parts and one part is harder that after mix it has to applied within couple of hours. Pain to learn how to apply but one heck of product...

There is a lot synthetic out there that will work great like Rejex and others. The thing about synthetic is that they are not the best looking like high end wax but the do last.

Sherwolfe
03-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Any good, brand name car was will work just fine. Dawn is not a good choice unless you are planning a fresh wax job (not just polish - there is a difference). As far as 303 Protectant, I'll only do tires and the tonneau cover on my TV though others extol the virtues of using it elsewhere. Wax (Meguire's, IMO) works best.

Your trailer though and you have to do what you feel is best:D

Appreciate the input on this, I have heard the Maguire's is a good choice from other sources I've contacted. It has been great seeing all the variations of what works and what shouldn't be used, glad I reached out on this forum. Thank You.

cardinal96ss
03-12-2016, 12:42 PM
For bug removal I use a wet "clothes dryer sheet" and the bugs literally wipe off the TV or trailer. Don't know what the compounds in the sheet may do to the wax/polish, but I think it is less damaging than the scrubbing one has to do without the sheet.

rhagfo
03-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Turtle Wax car wash!!

Helps keep that surface protected I still like to hand wax time to time.

theeyres
03-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Last year I was in a campground and asked the owner of a shiny RV what wax he was using. "None" He said he only used Meguiars Ulimate Wash & Wax. Get it at WalMart. It's yellow. I had previously waxed with Meguairs Pinnacle Marine wax. I'm not sure if I will wax this year. Maybe just the front cap.

Great stuff. It is what I use and the trailers always look great.

papi
03-30-2016, 07:51 PM
I just went to the Keystone factory last week and the specifically mention Dawn dish washer as to never use on any RV. It would damage the finish and the decals. They recommend to use Rv/ car wash fluids.

Sherwolfe
04-09-2016, 07:14 AM
I just went to the Keystone factory last week and the specifically mention Dawn dish washer as to never use on any RV. It would damage the finish and the decals. They recommend to use Rv/ car wash fluids.

Thanks for checking this out, I did use the Mequire's Ultimate Wash and it worked great. Then the next day applied the Aerospace 303 solution, other than having some trouble getting the streaking off, apparently I wasn't buffing enough, it looks great.

kfxgreenie
04-09-2016, 07:46 AM
Wash with you favorite car wash soap, and follow up with a coat of wax 1-2 times a year.

I like Wizards wash for everything, the stuff is the shiznat, and a gallon will go a looooonnnng way.
http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-11079-Super-Concentrated-Wash/dp/B00BI29Y5Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460215467&sr=1-1&keywords=wizards+car+wash

For the RV I used the product below, its to damn big to do anything more than a 1 step, and even that took probably 12 hours, with a DA buffer. :eek:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M5032-Marine-Step-Cleaner/dp/B0000AY50X

Sherwolfe
04-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Wash with you favorite car wash soap, and follow up with a coat of wax 1-2 times a year.

I like Wizards wash for everything, the stuff is the shiznat, and a gallon will go a looooonnnng way.
http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-11079-Super-Concentrated-Wash/dp/B00BI29Y5Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460215467&sr=1-1&keywords=wizards+car+wash

For the RV I used the product below, its to damn big to do anything more than a 1 step, and even that took probably 12 hours, with a DA buffer. :eek:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M5032-Marine-Step-Cleaner/dp/B0000AY50X

Appreciate the links and the additional options to consider.