PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my pin weight??? water tank weight?

dustycoyote
03-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Bought a Carbon 357 last August and we love it. Wonderful camper!

When I bought it though, I already knew that the pin weight is really heavy for my truck. I bought an ATV to carry in back to pull some of the weight off of my pin but it is still REALLY heavy. I'm going to buy a second ATV to add in back so that should help but am looking for any other help and advice.

BTW, the truck pulls it like a champ. No instability or anything while pulling.Braking down hills with the exhaust brake and everything made it very easy. I kept finding myself getting too comfortable and relaxed becuase it worked so well. (I think this Chevy with the Duramax is just a pretty darn good towing machine)
It's been awesome. I just hate the idea of being so far over my weight ratings on the pin....

Couple of questions;

Where are the water tanks?? I am assuming that they are in front of the axle and thus add to the pin weight problem. Am I correct?

We did a couple of trips last year to unimproved areas. I definitely felt the extra weight when towing with the tanks full but still was awesome, very stable and controlled. However I'm terrified to think of the strain I'm putting on the tires if those tanks are all in front....

sourdough
03-04-2016, 05:44 PM
What are the specs on the tow vehicle and trailer?

notanlines
03-05-2016, 08:25 AM
We have to assume here that you are pulling this with a 2500? If so you are out of the envelope. If it is a 3500 you are pretty much at the max. Bear in mind that putting your toys in the rear does not mean you are taking much weight off your tongue. With double axles they sort of negate the weight. It takes some off, but not enough to make it worthwhile.
Sourdough asked about the spec's of both. I would like to see them also, along with the results of you taking your beast to a CAT scale. For $12.00 the entire story can be told.

CWSWine
03-05-2016, 08:50 AM
If this was me what I would do is bring to the scales and weight the truck and 5er hooked up loaded ready to go camping.

1. Important numbers would be Front and Rear Axles weights added together and that number shouldn't exceed the GVWR or the truck.

2. Check the weight of just the rear axles and number on the tag on your truck for the max axle ratings insure you don't exceed that rating.

3. If the above numbers are exceed you probably over your tire ratings, they are on the side wall and adding both those together it should be less than your scale weight of your rear axle. Towing heavy you need to take extra care of your trucks tire.

Getting the weight of just the truck will give you some additional information but the above cost 10 bucks and is easy to do. Everyone should know where they are with the weights and limits of the truck and 5er to keep you love ones safe.

There are other specs but a general rule is if you are under you GVWR of the truck the other numbers generally fall in line.

gearhead
03-05-2016, 06:47 PM
In my case adding or subtracting weight on the rear is not a 1 to 1 ratio. More like 1 to 3. Add 300 and take maybe 100 off the pin. I experimented at the CAT scale using my rearward fresh water tank.
Towing a toy hauler with a 2500 just sounds wrong.

gearhead
03-05-2016, 06:49 PM
In my case adding or subtracting weight on the rear is not a 1 to 1 ratio. More like 1 to 3. Add 300 and take maybe 100 off the pin. I experimented at the CAT scale with my water tank.
Towing a toy hauler with a 2500 just sounds wrong.

CaptnJohn
03-05-2016, 09:46 PM
If your tanks are set up the same as my Cougar they are from front to rear~
Bath Gray
Black
Kitchen gray ~~ right in front of axel
FW ~~ near rear.

A full tank adds about 500# to weight and subtracts almost half from the pin. Probably a lot less with triple axel vs double.

DiverB
03-06-2016, 12:49 AM
He must have a 2500 short bed. I have the same trailer, and I have hit the local CAT scale a few times with & without full water and toys, and my pin weight is just fine on my truck

gtsum2
03-06-2016, 04:14 AM
Rzr in my Fuzion garage (call it 1400lbs) lightens my pin by about 250-300lbs

I have a 3500srw and pin weights (Fuzion 345 chrome, so similar weight) are from 3300-3000 depending if rzr back there. Unfortunately, I see no way your 2500 isn't over the gvwr and rear axle rating by a good bit. (Guessing 6000lb rear axle??). Mine is 7000 and I am right there on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicercars
03-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Most of the problems with towing tow haulers is a truck that is to small for what you are towing. Just a work of advice for you future toy hauler buyers. Do your research before you buy don't trust the salesman there are very few that have a clue when it comes to towing.

roadglide
03-06-2016, 02:15 PM
In my case adding or subtracting weight on the rear is not a 1 to 1 ratio. More like 1 to 3. Add 300 and take maybe 100 off the pin. I experimented at the CAT scale with my water tank.
Towing a toy hauler with a 2500 just sounds wrong. Yup they add a spring and a sticker saying its wrong but the tires are the weak link on any srw vehicle on the newer trucks. I m heavy and use the exhaust brake,truck and trailer brakes and have pulled mt in colorado the braking is there the truck never struggles and transmission temp stay around 165 , Its all wrong because the sticker said so. Air bags just takes some weight off the spring probably a good idea for everyone hauling at max pay load.

2014301ktmhauler
03-08-2016, 04:29 AM
I'm estimating most the triple axle toy haulers down here around Daytona this week are pulled by 250 - 2500 size rigs. Not saying its right but in the highest concentration of toy haulers in the world right now I have not seen any problems since leaving Richmond.

1jeep
03-11-2016, 11:10 AM
bags will help level it, it helped mine.

So, what is the real difference in a f250 and f350 srw besides that sticker and a overload spring? I can tell you on my 2011 ford f250there is no difference, yet some of you guys would think it were fine if I had a f350srw to tow my toy hauler.

Honestly after one season I am starting to feel that any toy hauler should be towed by a drw truck, just my opinion and I am in the process of upgrading to one.

1jeep
03-11-2016, 11:21 AM
bags will help level it, it helped mine.

So, what is the real difference in a f250 and f350 srw besides that sticker and a overload spring? I can tell you on my 2011 ford f250there is no difference, yet some of you guys would think it were fine if I had a f350srw to tow my toy hauler.

Honestly after one season I am starting to feel that any toy hauler should be towed by a drw truck, just my opinion and I am in the process of upgrading to one.