PDA

View Full Version : Leaking window 326SRX

hdxbonez
02-28-2016, 03:10 PM
I had to seal one of the fixed frameless transom windows above the main slide today. Hopefully the clear silicone will do the trick. These are the only fixed windows on the camper, all the others have a hinged frame on top and shouldn't allow rain/melting snow to infiltrate. A leaking gutter seam also magnified the issue. It looks like I caught it before it caused any interior damage.

SADLY
02-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Silicone shouldn't be used on any RV :(

hdxbonez
02-28-2016, 03:52 PM
Silicone shouldn't be used on any RV :(

How's this? ;)

Festus2
02-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Hopefully the clear silicone will do the trick. .

The problem with using silicone is that the old silicone is difficult to remove and silicone does not adhere well at all to previously-applied silicone. There are plenty of RV/marine sealants and caulking that are non-silicone based which are superior.

Festus2
02-28-2016, 03:57 PM
I'd recommend using Geocel Proflex rather than DAP or any silicone.

hdxbonez
02-28-2016, 04:13 PM
And here I was, thinking that people would be more concerned with a leaking window on a brand new camper, rather than the sealant used to repair it....:)

It was a reasonably warm day in the New Hampshire woods, I used what was available as I wont be back for a couple of weeks and more rain is forecast for the coming week.

SADLY
02-28-2016, 04:58 PM
How's this? ;)

A picture doesn't make it more suitable. :(

hdxbonez
02-28-2016, 05:13 PM
A picture doesn't make it more suitable. :(

I used a DAP product that they call a clear 'sealant'. Its not labeled as a silicone, I used the term as a figure of speech. I'm in the north woods of New Hampshire, it's what the store had, and it had to be fixed today. I'll be sure to let you all know if the camper self destructs because of it, lol......

sourdough
02-28-2016, 05:27 PM
I understand the OP completely.

On my way to FL from W TX we stopped the 1st night out at Wagon Wheel RV park on I20 about 2 hrs E of Dallas.....in the middle of nowhere. It was late in the afternoon on a Sunday. Got out to set up the trailer to find the front skirting on the passenger side completely hanging loose. I was on a tight string to get to FL so had no time to shut down and find "stuff" to get the skirt back on. Upon inspection it was apparent that it was going to take a lot more time and material than I would be able to give it in our situation. The only type of store anywhere was a tiny Pilot station. They had a small tube of silicone and some malsized screws - plus one that was just right I found in the parking lot. Put it all together and it was just fine until we got back to TX at which time I removed the silicone, removed the skirt and put it all back together properly. The removal of silicone is a real pain and difficult, but it can be done.

All that to point out that although silicone might not be the optimal product to use on the RV it might be the only available thing to accomplish the goal at hand at that particular moment as I pointed out, and what the OP was saying I think. Not really a reason to try to come down on him ("a picture doesn't make it more suitable"). By the way OP, hope you get your problem fixed permanently.

chuckster57
02-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Not to fan the fire, but we use silicone on a regular basis.

Yes it is hard to remove, and we use special tools and solvents to remove it. Used properly in the right application it's fine.

sourdough
02-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Not to fan the fire, but we use silicone on a regular basis.

Yes it is hard to remove, and we use special tools and solvents to remove it. Used properly in the right application it's fine.

Thanks. My dealer, and all others that I'm aware of, do as well.

hdxbonez
02-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Just to ease all of your concerns, I looked up the DAP product that I used when I got home today. It looks like we can all sleep a little easier tonight, it doesn't mention silicone anywhere in the literature. I'll try to refrain from using that silicone word on this forum in the future:D

DMK
03-01-2016, 07:43 AM
I find its always good to have sealants, eternabond tape, etc along in my tool kit just in case...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sourdough
03-01-2016, 11:26 AM
hdxbonez -

Where did you get that stuff? I've not used it before and it looks pretty interesting to me.

hdxbonez
03-01-2016, 01:14 PM
hdxbonez -

Where did you get that stuff? I've not used it before and it looks pretty interesting to me.

It was at Home Depot

http://www.dap.com/media/80663/clearelastomeric_pairshot_weblg.jpg

sourdough
03-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Thanks! I haven't looked for any sealants in a while and had not seen this product. Next time I'm in a town with a HD I'll pick some up.

hdxbonez
03-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Update! Just in case anyone was worried, I finally made it back up here after nearly a month to find that the sealant I used on the leaking window has performed perfectly. No leaks, good adhesion, and no discoloration. Ill continue to keep an eye on it, but it looks like a winner for now. Still peeved that I have to worry about a leaking window on a year old camper though....