PDA

View Full Version : Path for antenna wire in Passport 2850rl?

dcf
02-27-2016, 02:44 PM
The antenna wire on our Passport 2850RL is so rotted it just snapped just above the boot. I want to replace it, but need to figure out where I'm going with the new wire before pulling out the old one.

The old one is grey but the signal wire is white by the time it arrives behind the 12v plug/tv connector by the TV. So where do the two colors meet and can I uncouple them at that point without doing something drastic to my interior?

What's the path for this wire?

chuckster57
02-27-2016, 03:37 PM
The factory antenna will have a pigtail that attaches to the trailer coax in the roof, under the boot. I have had limited success pulling the coax and threading the barrel connection through the hole. Maybe you'll do better, if not then you have to take the antenna off.

Using a small Allen wrench, remove the crank handle. Once it's off the spring and directional plate will come off. Then up on the roof, remove the perimeter screws holding the base onto the roof. You will need to use butyl tape under the base and dicor over the screws. Good luck and post back your results.

dcf
02-28-2016, 04:35 AM
Suspected as much, once I thought about it. Will give it a shot today.

dcf
02-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Totally lucked out on this repair.

After pulling off the boot and loosening the silicone that was used to fill the tube that the wire went through, I was able to gently pull the rest of the wire from the antenna and the attached coax from the camper up above roof level.

I fished new coax through the antenna, put an end on, connected it to the camper's coax and pushed that back down the hole into the roof. Put a little silicone in the tube again and attached the boot with dicor. It's good to go! No need to remove the antenna and dig around deeper in the roof.

hankaye
02-28-2016, 05:19 PM
dcf, Howdy;

Good to hear that you had good results. Thanks for following up.

hankaye

chuckster57
02-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Glad to hear you had success. I guess when your not "on the clock" things fall into place nicely.