PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel Cougar battery

Travler
02-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Just needed to ask how long have people been going until they replace the battery in their 5th wheel. I have a 2012 Cougar with 2 slides and I am debating on changing out the battery. Its is 4 years old. Hasnt giving me any problems yet. Just trying to be proactive.
Thanks

cw3jason
02-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Really depends on use, but 4 years is about right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Travler
02-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Thanks for getting back so fast..I was thinking the same thing. I don't let my cars go over 4 years.. After that I think I am waiting for trouble..Thanks again

TAZ23
02-27-2016, 01:02 PM
I figure if I don't spend a hundred bucks on a battery then I can spend it on something else, so I don't replace them unless I need to.
I've always taken my RV batteries in to work and have them check the electrolyte in them with a tester. I've never kept a camper over eight years, but I have never had a battery go bad either. The main thing with a battery is to keep the electrolyte full and a battery charged up. Last year I pulled a bone head move and forgot to remove the battery connections on the campers battery from Oct 18th until the end of Feb., as you can figure the battery was completely dead but not cracked and still full of fluid. The mechanic at work said to thaw it out and try a trickle charge (not full charge) on it for at least two days and then bring it in for him to test it. I charged it for three days then let it sit for a week before I took it to him, And it was good as new 13.4 volts and 685 amps (same as new) and its still in my camper.
I've had car batteries last more than 12 years, but they must be kept fully charged also or they will not last.
That's my 2 cents worth, your milage may vary.

hdxbonez
02-27-2016, 01:40 PM
I keep a Battery Tender on mine, and shut the disconnect switch off when I'm not using the camper. I've never had to replace a battery on any of my campers or motorcycles, even after 6-8 years, when I've used the tender.
http://www.batterytender.com/PN-021-0123.jpg

CaptnJohn
02-27-2016, 01:51 PM
In my boat (has 2) and camper batteries are replaced at the end of 5 seasons.

Dave W
02-27-2016, 02:55 PM
I replaced ours after a year, upgrading to a Gr 31 that barely fits the supplied box instead of that little Gr 24 that the dealer installed. The Gr 24 would barely last a setup before it got too weak.

A note - shutting off the Keystone supplied battery disconnect will not completely isolate the system from the battery. At least the LP gas detector is still active and on ours, a couple interior lights. I'll be installing a full disconnect this spring.

JRTJH
02-27-2016, 04:32 PM
A single group 31 battery that is properly cared for can easily last 7,8,10 years. On the other hand, a group 31 battery that is consistently discharged to "dead" and recharged, low on water(electrolyte) left all winter to freeze/thaw and expected to last through the second year may disappoint the owner.

If your battery is properly maintained, I wouldn't replace it until you start having problems with it not holding a charge as long as "when it was new". It's not like a car or boat where you may get stranded and risk dangerous situations. You'll almost always have the tow vehicle to "get you going" and headed to WalMart (or some other store where your favorite brand is sold) to get a replacement.....

I wouldn't replace a RV battery based on age. There's no guarantee that the "new one" will last through the season, any of them can fail at any time, so save your money until you start having problems, then replace it at the next opportunity.

Dave W
02-28-2016, 03:37 AM
Then there is the so-called 'ultimate' battery arrangement that many boondockers seem to favor - 2 golf cart 6vdc batteries in a series hookup. They seem to have a pretty long life expectancy. Two downsides to consider - added space is required and the weight of a second 65 +/- pound plus battery (http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m/category/golf/golf-car-content)

notanlines
02-28-2016, 04:45 AM
I am more of the opinion that a battery should probably be replaced at the four year mark. In real terms this is $100. Wouldn't even make a pimple on the butt of RV expenses. Where will you be when you "start to have trouble" with your battery? In the middle of a week with the grandkids? At the start of a two week vacation planned all year? I do see all sides, but I think four years is enough.

TAZ23
02-28-2016, 05:20 AM
As John said, generally a battery will give you hints when its going bad (it will usually start to get weak and not hold a charge or power like it used to), and sometimes a new battery may go bad at any time. It has not happened to me in my camper or vehicles but in our fleet of trucks at work sometimes a new battery goes bad very quick. Most of the larger auto parts stores can check a battery for voltage and amperage and around here they will do it for free.
Its true a hundred bucks is nothing compared to the cost of owning a camper but I look at it as another hundred bucks (that I don't need to spend) besides the usual costs involved.

dcg9381
02-29-2016, 07:45 AM
If you want to know how proactive you're being (vs simply wasting money) - charge the battery and take it into a local autozone for a load test. 4-years is a pretty good run for an RV battery, but some applications have been known to go any longer depending on its care and feeding...

I'd load test it if it's not giving any problems.

SkiSmuggs
02-29-2016, 08:45 AM
My first battery replacement was the beginning of the 2nd season, not because there was a problem, but because the Grp 24 that came with it only had 75-80 amp hours. I measured the battery box and got a Kirkland Grp 27 with 110AH which was still good after 3 days of dry camping in the Grand Tetons. If you are replacing, you might as well do it with a Grp 27, 29 or 31.

Travler
03-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Yea I share your point..I had the battery tested after a winter on a trickle charger and it was 60%...Not wanting any issues this year I went ahead and replaced it. Peace of mind is worth the extra $ I spent. Thanks to all for the comments. Those to are valuable.. Love this Forum...