PDA

View Full Version : Shore Power

SJMcKee
04-06-2011, 06:36 AM
When we bought our Keystone Fuzion, it came with a 50amp shore power cable, that must be 25ft long.
That thing is as big as the shore power cables we used to hook up submarines.
Anyway, most of my camping has found 30amp service regularly available, and i've not tripped any breakers using Air, MW, etc.
So is it necessary to carry the 50amp in lieu of getting a nice 30amp cable to use and dump the 50. It would be less strenuous, and give me more room in the basement.
So guess the question is, why do I need 50amp service????:confused:

Steve

Festus2
04-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Steve:
Some of the larger RV's have dual A/C, washers and dryers, etc. which, when running at the same time, draw a large amount of current and a 30amp service isn't adequate. Having a 50 amp circuit allows you to have several appliances - both large and small - working at the the same time. It is essentially a matter of increased power demands and having a circuit which will safely and effectively meet those requirements.

TAS
06-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Keep the 50 and carry a 50-30 adapter. Just a thought.

Txoutback
06-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Dropping from a 50A service cable to a 30A service cable can be done if you know what you are doing. It may require some wire changes at the panel as well. Do not attempt this unless you FULLY understand what you are doing and what your limitations are. If you change it do not attempt to adapt your 30A cable to operate on a 50A service afterward without reconfiguring what you changed.

Here is a good place to start:
www.myrv.us/electric/ (http://www.myrv.us/electric/)

Good Luck and Play Safe