PDA

View Full Version : Short bed or long bed

Laredo291OH
02-25-2016, 07:50 AM
I know this is like asking which brand of truck is better, but thought I would ask anyway. We are looking to move up to a 5th wheel from our travel trailer. Along with the camper will be a new truck (want a diesel). Since I'm looking at trucks, would everyone recommend a long bed or standard? In the GM lineup the long bed crew cab is about 20" longer than the standard bed crew cab. I'm guessing the long bed helps with backing and ride quality, but having never pulled a 5vr, that is a guess. My garage is long enough to accommodate either that isn't a problem. other than towing, I don't have a lot of use for the long bed, have a standard now and it has done everything I want to do. Ther is only a few hundred dollars difference in the price, probably less than the difference of a slider vs non slider hitch. Opinions?

JRTJH
02-25-2016, 08:52 AM
My 2013 F250 was a long bed. (8') My 2015 F250 is a standard bed (6'8"). I have a Cougar XLite 27RKS. I've noticed no appreciable difference in towing and essentially no significant difference in maneuverability when backing. The RV manufacturers are "evolving" from the flat front fifth wheels to radius corner (short bed compatible) nose caps. Although I can't turn 90 degrees with my short bed, I never did with my long bed either. I've never been in a position where I thought I would like a sliding hitch.

Actually, when you consider towing with a conventional "bumper pull" trailer, the best angle you're going to get when backing is about 40 degrees, and we seldom hear of anyone damaging their trailer or tow vehicle with that limited backing radius. In 6 years of towing fifth wheels, I've never been in a situation where I had to back sharper than about 50 or 60 degrees and I always had more than enough clearance between the cab and the front of the trailer.

I wouldn't want to "push my trailer axles" much beyond that backing radius anyway, even if I could get the rig at 90 degrees. If you've ever watched the suspension on a trailer as it "drags sideways" rather than rolling along its axis, it does cause a "pucker factor" while occurring. Take a look at the spring hangers under your trailer and I think you'll be reluctant to "twist it into a 90 degree situation whether you have a short or long bed.

For me, they are pretty much the same. With Ford, the most significant difference (for me) is the short bed is only available with a 26 gallon fuel tank while the long bed tank is 37.5 gallons. Other manufacturers may have a similar situation.

BlueThunder34
02-25-2016, 11:37 AM
My 2013 F250 was a long bed. (8') My 2015 F250 is a standard bed (6'8"). I have a Cougar XLite 27RKS. I've noticed no appreciable difference in towing and essentially no significant difference in maneuverability when backing. The RV manufacturers are "evolving" from the flat front fifth wheels to radius corner (short bed compatible) nose caps. Although I can't turn 90 degrees with my short bed, I never did with my long bed either. I've never been in a position where I thought I would like a sliding hitch.

Actually, when you consider towing with a conventional "bumper pull" trailer, the best angle you're going to get when backing is about 40 degrees, and we seldom hear of anyone damaging their trailer or tow vehicle with that limited backing radius. In 6 years of towing fifth wheels, I've never been in a situation where I had to back sharper than about 50 or 60 degrees and I always had more than enough clearance between the cab and the front of the trailer.

I wouldn't want to "push my trailer axles" much beyond that backing radius anyway, even if I could get the rig at 90 degrees. If you've ever watched the suspension on a trailer as it "drags sideways" rather than rolling along its axis, it does cause a "pucker factor" while occurring. Take a look at the spring hangers under your trailer and I think you'll be reluctant to "twist it into a 90 degree situation whether you have a short or long bed.

For me, they are pretty much the same. With Ford, the most significant difference (for me) is the short bed is only available with a 26 gallon fuel tank while the long bed tank is 37.5 gallons. Other manufacturers may have a similar situation.

Other than my personal liking of the long bed, as stated above the larger fuel tank option on my long bed was a decider for us due to the long distances we travel. I appreciate the greater travel distance before the need for more fuel.

Javi
02-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Long beds ROCK... :D

Too much room is better than not enough... "bouncey:

chuckster57
02-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Long bed dual rear wheel. And if the budget allows, a crew cab.

dcg9381
02-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Short bed owner here. If I had a choice - other things being the same, I'd get the long bed. It'll keep you from having to get a slider hitch, which has more moving parts...

nellie1289
02-25-2016, 01:32 PM
one nice thing about a long bed is you can put stuff in front of the hitch like generator, and other things, even toolboxes or other useful items. I do think it tows better due to the longer wheel base.

CaptnJohn
02-25-2016, 03:59 PM

2016 F250 diesel standard bed crew ~~ 37 gallon tank.

larry337
02-25-2016, 04:29 PM
If it fits in the garage, I prefer a long bed. Not as maneuverable in a parking lot though. Bigger fuel tank is a huge plus.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
02-25-2016, 04:42 PM
I've owned both short bed duramax and long bed dually duramax (both have 36 gallon tanks on the newer models).

As already mentioned, the new front cap designs on 5ers gives you a lot of turning radius. In the old days you would have to watch the cab corner pretty close on sharp maneuvers to make sure you didn't make contact. The new fronts as well as extended king pins have pretty much eliminated that (assuming you are buying new or fairly new). No need for a slider hitch....waste of money and weight.

One thing you did not say was the weight of your planned new 5er. If you are going big and heavy, you'll want a dually anyway and that only comes with a long bed. I also used to load my generator in front of my hitch on both trucks. Now with the long bed I have a 67 gallon auxiliary tank and still have room for stuff between the hitch and tank, which I wouldn't have had on the short bed. As for which one I prefer, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I do prefer the dually, and since it comes with long bed, I guess that would be my choice.

JRTJH
02-25-2016, 04:52 PM
2016 F250 diesel standard bed crew ~~ 37 gallon tank.

If Ford has started (finally) installing the 37 gallon tank in the "standard (short) bed" that's great.

The website still shows it only available in long bed models:

35 gallons (6.2L V8 gas engine)
26 gallons (6.7L Power Stroke™ Turbo Diesel on 137", 142" and 156" wheelbases)
37.5 gallons (6.7L Power Stroke™ Turbo Diesel on 158" and 172" wheelbases)

The 158" wheelbase is the SuperCab long bed and the 172" is the CrewCab long bed.

My truck is a 2015 CC SB and it was not available with the larger tank.

PerryB
02-25-2016, 08:56 PM
When we bought our current tow vehicle in '11 it was the first long bed I've ever owned, and I've come to like it a lot because of the extra room ahead of the hitch. If you're getting a 5th wheel do yourself a huge favor and get a 350/3500 series truck. The price difference is almost nothing but the payload increase is significant. If the trailer you're wanting has a GVWR of 15,000# or greater, get a dually.

CaptnJohn
02-25-2016, 09:45 PM
If Ford has started (finally) installing the 37 gallon tank in the "standard (short) bed" that's great.

The 158" wheelbase is the SuperCab long bed and the 172" is the CrewCab long bed.

I have the 156" wheelbase and 37.5 tank and 6.7 diesel on my 2016 F250. A dealer ordered it and my dealer found it. Has the XLT pkg, not Lariat which added weight I did not want. Also the Electric mirrors which was a separate option on the XLT, standard on the Lariat with trailer tow. No idea why it came to the original dealer that way or if it was ordered like that for someone. The dealership owner searched for days as payload was a concern. He searched 3 states. Lots of 250 diesels out there, most with the Lariat pkg. Wish I had the 172" though.

Laredo291OH
02-26-2016, 04:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm leaning long bed. Always been a GM guy so it will be a Duramax, the fuel tank is the same, 36 gal for both standard and long. I like the idea of hauling stuff in front of the hitch, hadn't thought of that before. I am going with a 3500, but SRW. GM is now offering the factory 5th wheel prep with the pucks like Ford and Dodge so I might have to order new or wait a few months and see if any show up in dealer inventory. The 5vrs we are looking at are mid range on size, somewhere in the 36-38 ft and 10k-11k dry weight. We have been looking at the Cougar 336BHS and like it alot.

rhagfo
02-26-2016, 05:57 AM
Well it is your truck, and your money, but you asked.
I have always had a long bed, and straight nosed 5er, more room in the TV bed, and more room in the front closet on the 5er, flat floor full width of the closet for storage.
Keep in mind that the longer the pin box, brings the chance of hitting the side rails when turning.

byrdr1
02-26-2016, 06:09 AM
You have heard it all..
You have made the decision on the LB.
BUT I love my long bed I would not own another truck without it. Every time I go and price the new fords I am always looking for F-350 with crew cab and long bed. Found it last Saturday but I cant cough up that kind of cash yet.. MAMA said you pay for it, you can get it..hahaha
randy

schwalbach
02-26-2016, 04:01 PM
I have always been a long bed guy and would not turn back.
1, I carry a large water tank ahead of the fifth wheel for dry camping.
2. I can carry firewood ahead of the hitch.
3. no need for a slider.
4, when not using for 5th wheel it is used around farm, I can actually use it as a 3/4 ton as the box can haul something!

yes it is long, yes it is harder to get around, yes you have to double deep park at Walmart to avoid sticking out, but it is worth it in my opinion.

Here is another thought, if you are looking for a work truck and not loaded truck every time I bought long bed, they are hard to find, but when you do they have been on the lot for sometime, usually on a spec order for a snow plow company or builder / construction hopeful sell. If it has been sitting awhile I have always been able to take advantage of huge rebates as the dealer / GM wanted to move the truck as it was plain and not loaded.

Here is the best part! At trade time the dealer loves the long bed as there is usually a farmer or similar who wants truck that can haul something!

Long Bed all the way and don't look back! Pun intended

hankaye
02-26-2016, 06:28 PM
Howdy All;

My truck is a 2004 6.0L SuperCab Long bed and the tank is a 42 gal.
got lucky, bought it used in '09.

hankaye

theeyres
02-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Another vote for the long bed. We've always had short beds but when we got the fiver for full-timing we got the long bed and it was just easier. Never worry about turning or backing up. Even had to jack knife it a couple times and no worries. And we could even keep a tool box at the front that held a scroll saw and small band saw! Could never have done that with a short bed. It's a little harder getting into tight parking lots when shopping (with no trailer attached) but well worth it. Now that we have a pull trailer and I still like the long bed.

bsmith0404
02-27-2016, 05:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm leaning long bed. Always been a GM guy so it will be a Duramax, the fuel tank is the same, 36 gal for both standard and long. I like the idea of hauling stuff in front of the hitch, hadn't thought of that before. I am going with a 3500, but SRW. GM is now offering the factory 5th wheel prep with the pucks like Ford and Dodge so I might have to order new or wait a few months and see if any show up in dealer inventory. The 5vrs we are looking at are mid range on size, somewhere in the 36-38 ft and 10k-11k dry weight. We have been looking at the Cougar 336BHS and like it alot.

At 10-11k dry weight you are getting very close to dually area. a 3500 SRW should be okay at that size, but if you go any bigger......

Just watch the pin weight on what you buy. Some in that range will be very nose heavy and you'll probably want to stay away from them if you want to go SRW.

old timer
02-27-2016, 05:30 AM
The only thing i don't like about my short bed is the fuel tank size. I have to go to the dealer soon and am going to see if a bigger tank will fit under my truck.

bsmith0404
02-27-2016, 05:37 AM
The only thing i don't like about my short bed is the fuel tank size. I have to go to the dealer soon and am going to see if a bigger tank will fit under my truck.

The OP is planning on buying GM so that's not an issue for him, both short and long bed have 36 gallon tanks. Maybe the next time you're at the dealership you should check to see if a GM truck will fit in your garage :p