PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Keystone Crack on slide wall...:(

esmoglo
02-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Today being a nice day and all I decided to wash the RV that’s been sitting at storage lot for a few months and why not I am a responsible RV owner after all. Storage facility lot is undergoing construction stirring up a lot of dust amongst other things. Sun shining birds were singing and RV was suds up with soap all was well with the universe until…… the CRAK:banghead: was spotted and not the illegal type.:eek:

2016 Passport purchased in October of 2015 the crack located on the slide was not there because I recall looking it over upon delivery.
Observations; surface area around the crack is smooth to the touch unlike the textured feel of the fiberglass all over the RV’s skin never noticed this, crack is approximately 6” long, appears to be swelling a bit, you can see the crack travelling under the silicone. (looks like Keystone did a repair during manufacturing)

Now the down side we have a trip in March, then this summer we are headed to Mount Rushmore first last week of June, first two weeks of July for a total of three weeks, then Disney in October and back to Disney in December to round out the year. All of these trips require the RV that’s why we purchased it in the first place. Any idea what time frame it will take to repair this?

Please see attached photos bit disappointed but that’s life I guess. We will use the RV in March and I may need to take it to the local authorized Keystone repair facility AKA dealership. Side note RV was purchased in Michigan but warranty work is warranty work and the RV is less than six months old….

esmoglo
02-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Two more photos..

CaptnJohn
02-24-2016, 04:18 PM
From the pics it is hard to tell if a patch job or not. Certainly could be or could be water behind the gel coat. Defer to you as you are there. Does your dealer do body repairs? A good auto collision shop would work but if no structure involved there is a repair guy at my marina I've seen do fantastic things I thought could never be repaired ~~ fiberglass/gel coat. I'd be looking for a fiberglass guy if 100% certain no structure and in my area that would be around $150 - $200. Besides, he can tell if it stands a chance of coming back ~~~

mosquitoman
02-24-2016, 04:31 PM
Its under warranty, contact your dealer have them document it and go camping. Get it repaired when you get back. That's what I did.

dcg9381
02-24-2016, 04:32 PM
I can tell you that in my area, marine /fiberglass guy, $200 won't buy you much. That's a $1000+ repair - but the real issue is what caused it...

Take it to the dealer, see what they say. Before you OK them to repair it, I'd want to see a similar "patch" job that they've done on something else.

sourdough
02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Contact the dealer. Provide pics and if possible take it by their shop so they can put an eye on it. The key will be to find out what caused the problem and then find someone well versed in that kind of repair. Document EVERYTHING (names/dates) and be thorough with questions and documentation. Since you didn't buy it from the dealership doing repairs pay attention to how they respond to your request. If they don't seem really happy to take care of it shoot an email to Keystone customer service/owner relations with details and pics to make sure your info gets to them.

Festus2
02-24-2016, 07:40 PM
esmoglo -
You should note that, since you bought your unit in Michigan, any local Keystone dealer is under no obligation to perform any warranty work for you. They may tell you that, because you didn't buy it from them, we are not interested in doing anything for you. So "warranty work is warranty work" doesn't always apply in the RV industry.

I'd start with a local dealership. Arrange to take your unit in - if they will accept it - and have them check it over to see (a) what caused the crack, and (b) and an estimate for repair. Any warranty repairs would have to come through a dealership and be approved by Keystone. The key is to find a dealership that will do the warranty work even though you didn't buy it from them and who will work with you and Keystone in getting the repair approved and done.

esmoglo
02-25-2016, 04:45 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Initially before purchase I contacted Keystone RV and spoke with a representative by phone at the manufacturing facility. One of the key questions I had was if I did not purchase it within my state would local dealers be responsible to do repairs.

Representative stated Keystone would prefer you to buy with in your local area however authorized dealer network members cannot deny service under warranty. I’m certain this has happed and in many instances I find the RV business to be grossly unethical in regards to MSRP wholesale pricing add-ons and warranty issues. Warranty claims in many cases can cause consumers to go on a wild goose chase because components are under warranty from other manufacturers.

At any rate I do have a third-party seven-year warrantee on the RV that was purchased so I have additional coverage and protection if needed however based on the extent of the crack and how soon it has occurred I’m slightly concerned. Worst case scenario I have aviation speed tape I could just put over the crack enjoyed season and take it in for repairs at a later date. However, since I am slightly OCD probably goanna take it in at the end of March after I cleared everything with my local dealer.

Has anyone contacted the Keystone customer service center? If so what type of response have you gotten from them? Most of what I have read here on the forum typically show that Keystone will tell you to take it to the dealer and in my case the dealer is 100 miles away from my house.

T_Clark
02-25-2016, 09:44 AM
just out of curiosity, which model Passport is that?

Tbos
02-25-2016, 10:04 AM
T_Clark, that's. 2810BH. I have one just like it. I need to check mine and make sure it's not an issue with this model.

Esmoglo, Sorry to hear about this issue. Hopefully your local dealer will help you.
Tom

sourdough
02-25-2016, 10:25 AM
I don't know what kind of contract or agreement individual dealerships have with Keystone but I do know that some folks have been denied coverage directly by the dealer or they will put you on a list so far out that it is not reasonable to wait.

I have contacted Keystone many times. They will direct you to your dealership and won't make any move on a repair unless they are working with the dealer...therein lies the rub. Since you didn't buy it from someone local you may find it difficult, if not almost impossible, to find a dealer who wants to be your advocate with Keystone. They make very little money on warranty work (best I can tell) so they aren't so gung ho to take on your repairs.

As far as the 7 year extended warranty, I have one as well. I don't think it will cover anything that is still under manufacturer warranty. I could be mistaken but I don't think so.

You are entering the murky waters of the buyer/dealer/manufacturer dance. Some have good success, some don't. Your issue certainly looks like some sort of manufacturing defect but the key is going to be finding a dealer that has your best interests at heart. I wish you luck. And yes, I think I would be all about getting it in as soon as possible because this dance can take a long time.

chuckster57
02-25-2016, 01:03 PM
We are a Keystone dealer. There is another keystone dealer about an hour and a half away with a real poor reputation. We have had several customers tell us they bought at the aforementioned dealer and when brought in for warranty work were denied.

We don't deny warranty work, and yes the truth is any dealership isn't going to survive on warranty work. We do service units bought elsewhere but we limit the number of items we will address.

dcg9381
02-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Representative stated Keystone would prefer you to buy with in your local area however authorized dealer network members cannot deny service under warranty.

I've never been denied service by a non-purchase Keystone dealer, but I have been told that it'd take 6-months to get me in... (after I was asked if I purchased it there)

I've read about dealers declining, but I've never had that experience - just the unreasonably long wait.

It may also depend on the nature of the repair and how much margin there is in it... The repair above, I don't think that every RV shop is capable of factory re-finish like that.

At any rate I do have a third-party seven-year warrantee on the RV that was purchased so I have additional coverage and protection if needed however based on the extent of the crack and how soon it has occurred I’m slightly concerned. Worst case scenario I have aviation speed tape I could just put over the crack enjoyed season and take it in for repairs at a later date. However, since I am slightly OCD probably goanna take it in at the end of March after I cleared everything with my local dealer.

Note that many 3rd party warranties defer to the factory warranty while it's valid - basically, you may have to use that factory warranty as "primary" - but it'll depend on the fine print of your warranty and likely the "root cause" of that issue.

Has anyone contacted the Keystone customer service center? If so what type of response have you gotten from them? Most of what I have read here on the forum typically show that Keystone will tell you to take it to the dealer and in my case the dealer is 100 miles away from my house.

You have to start with the dealer. If that dealer declines to service, you need to document who you talked to, date, time. Keystone will likely redirect you to the 2nd closest dealer, so you might want to cover that base up front.

Hopefully this is all "just in case" and you'll have no issues getting your rig to the dealer!

Any idea where it was bought originally?

Tbos
02-25-2016, 03:52 PM
We are a Keystone dealer. There is another keystone dealer about an hour and a half away with a real poor reputation. We have had several customers tell us they bought at the aforementioned dealer and when brought in for warranty work were denied.

We don't deny warranty work, and yes the truth is any dealership isn't going to survive on warranty work. We do service units bought elsewhere but we limit the number of items we will address.
I sure wish you and your Dealer were in my area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

esmoglo
02-26-2016, 04:17 AM
just out of curiosity, which model passport is that?

2016 2810bh

Laredo291OH
02-26-2016, 04:57 AM
So I buy my Keystone camper locally in Ohio, 6 months later my employer says congratulations your job is moving to California and so are you. Now the Keystone dealer in California is going to deny my claim because I didn't buy local and I should haul my camper back to Ohio for work?

{tpc}
02-26-2016, 05:29 AM
So I buy my Keystone camper locally in Ohio, 6 months later my employer says congratulations your job is moving to California and so are you. Now the Keystone dealer in California is going to deny my claim because I didn't buy local and I should haul my camper back to Ohio for work?

Not necessarily. But there is a misconception that these "dealers" work just like our car "dealers" and they do not. Some are better than others, but it doesn't work like one might think. From what I have heard this is pretty much uniform for all makes, its not just a keystone thing or something.

I haven't been able to nail down why it doesn't work that way. Maybe its because these are essentially a "mobile" home type of product and are more prone to issues? Maybe it's because the money the dealer makes is way more from the first sale and hardly anything from warranty work where maybe the converse is true from a car dealer?

What I do know is if in order to make a sale you need to hear "yup any keystone dealer will service you no problem", then I think your going to hear that, regardless of how true it may or may not be.

dcg9381
02-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Other manufacturers do authorize non-dealer repairs, especially for customers traveling or in a bind. I've dealt with a local independent around here, he gets warranty work from several manufacturers - he says Keystone isn't one that he gets warranty work from. I didn't ask him for a list of those that do allow it.

I'm not saying that all manufacturers do this and it may very well be special circumstances only. He works on everything from pop-ups to Prevost.

The difference may be that Keystone has a big dealer network and that's not necessarily true of other manufacturers. So generally there is a dealer option semi-close by.

My guess is that the payment of the labor/job rate seems to be the major impediment for getting warranty work done at a non-purchase dealer, but someone else would know better. What I've been told in the service bay is that Keystone pays about 60-70% of retail. If I was running a business, that'd put you at the back of my service line.

My experience has been that it depends on the "job" - no dealer wanted to replace our lighting that failed while on the road, but dealers were very interested in replacing the roof (I talked to several).

Don't assume that you can't get service, but I'd have my ducks in a row before calling Keystone with list of local dealers and their response to service requests.

sourdough
02-26-2016, 03:31 PM
Reflecting on this I think that the type of dealership itself has a large bearing on how a non-buyer warranty repair is handled (obviously).

I've been in quite a few "one owner" RV places and they are quite different than walking into a CW repair center. The one owner facilities pretty much do what they want, on what they want, on any given day. If the pay is low then they may want to do something else....if they are busy; if not, they may want to jump right on your RV. At CW, when I've had problems in TX or FL no one bats an eye and they just take care of it. Obviously you have to wait for them to deal/negotiate with Keystone on warranty items but it has always gotten done.

I also think a previous poster was right about the units being sent to non-Keystone dealers. Keystone is a very large RV manufacturer and their units are sold almost anywhere any other brand is sold so I'm sure they have a "certified" dealer within a reasonable distance - maybe not the one you're sitting in front of but somewhere reasonably close.

Takeaways? Make sure you get a good dealership in the first place and then make sure you have your ducks in a row (as was previously mentioned) when you start a claim.

gearhead
02-26-2016, 06:19 PM
I would keep a email conversation going between you and the dealer. Confirm all verbal conversations with an email. Try to keep the emails in one thread.

esmoglo
02-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Yea for now I will hold off until the end of March because we have spring break trip planned with the kids. Hopefully this can be repaired quickly so there are no delays due to the summer trips we have planned. I will start calling local South Florida Keystone dealers this way I can forecast what its going to take in terms of time.

esmoglo
04-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Dropped off the Passport today for the crack in the slide on a positive note at least we have gotten 12 nights of camping since owning this travel trailer. I’m also glad that I waited until after spring break because a couple of additional things also need attention such as valance that was coming off, AC stopped working, and one of the kitchen cabinets the catch is not holding couple that with the slide I’m optimistic you can get done in a timely fashion:confused:

While speaking with the service writer that took the unit in today the advised that there’s a possibility they may not be able to fix the crack in the slide at this location. Keeping in mind this is an approved Keystone repair facility that’s why I took it there. There may very well be a situation where the unit may need to be transported 300 miles away from my home for the crack in the slide repair.

I guess my question is for those of you who have had experience with this is who covers these transportation fees since Keystone cannot adequately provide repair service at one of their approved repair providers? I mean transportation costs 300 miles one way 300 miles back home plus the unit sitting for several months for repair that I’m paying on mind you some compensation should be expected wouldn’t you think?

Sad part of this is his ever since the recession the RV industry in regards to building and selling units has steadily grown however the repair facilities and infrastructure required hasn’t caught up. Point is whether you own a $20,000 travel trailer or a one million-dollar coach your service isn’t going to be that much better after the sale.

Festus2
04-11-2016, 03:23 PM
You might want to consider looking into a fg repair at a nearby marine service center - if there is one close to you. Many of these facilities are used to doing fiberglass and gel coat repairs on boats and probably would do as good as or better job than an "authorized RV repair center".

esmoglo
04-11-2016, 04:08 PM
You might want to consider looking into a fg repair at a nearby marine service center - if there is one close to you. Many of these facilities are used to doing fiberglass and gel coat repairs on boats and probably would do as good as or better job than an "authorized RV repair center".

Well if Keystone wan't to pay for that I am fine with it still not sure what they are going to come up with in terms of a repair.

dcg9381
04-11-2016, 04:16 PM
I agree, I'd rather have a marine place doing gelcoat or fiberglass repairs.
The only issue with that is that Keystone seems to take a pay-once and done stance.. Meaning if the repair facility doesn't do it right, you have to take it up with that facility....

Sorry you're having this issue... Let us know how you're able to get it sorted.

JRTJH
04-11-2016, 04:24 PM
As Festus said, there probably is a fiberglass or boat repair facility local to you. The issue is whether or not Keystone will "spring for the repairs" locally. If they won't, then you may be faced with the "lesser of two costs": Paying for transportation at $1.60 a mile x 1200 miles (or towing it there with your vehicle). That would be about $2000 in transportation. The owner's manual explanation of warranty exclusions provides that (normally) any transportation expense is the owner's responsibility, so don't be surprised if the costs aren't covered by Keystone.

Alternatively, if a local boat repair facility can repair it and gives you an estimate of, say, $500, then it's feasible that "not using the warranty" may be cheaper for you than insisting that Keystone repair your trailer.

Then, on top of all of that, you still have to consider how long you'll be "out of your trailer" while it sits, waiting for repair.

It may be cheaper and faster to just have it repaired locally at your expense.

Unfortunately, it's something you'll need to consider, if the dealership you're using can't repair it and wants to transport it as you indicated.

CaptnJohn
04-11-2016, 08:17 PM
I know Heartland and Forest River owners that have talked directly to the factory warranty department. Heartland sent a mobile tech to a unit where I snowbird. Forest River has a national rally every year and bring techs to fix anything, warranty or not. Anything they cannot fix onsite they ask to be brought to the factory. Both have sent parts for owners to complete repairs themselves. FR does seem to have more and some large repairs claimed than other builders. FR reps are on their owners site to answer questions as well.

Thankfully, after 29 days in my new Cougar only one problem Atwood sent a tech to my snowbird site to fix. My dealer jumped on a couple minor things I planned on taking care of myself while the camper was in to add slide toppers. The GM and service manager at my dealer have told me they have few problems with Keystone getting warranty items approved. I hope not to need to find out but thinking of FR on my next upgrade.

esmoglo
04-12-2016, 02:52 AM
Well at this point it’s a waiting game really let’s see what they say. There is a Keystone Dealer in Key Largo Florida that’s also sells boats bet they have good techs that can repair the crack if this dealer cannot. Seems like every time I take the camper out something falls off cabinet door fell off on one trip, valance on the window fell off, AC vet cover fell off, handle to the vent fell off, cabinet door keeps flying open, guess this is normal for things to fall off on the interior?

zuley
04-12-2016, 04:21 AM
There has been mention of taking the unit to a marine facility for the repair. In reality most quality automotive body shops could also handle a repair of that nature as well.

mfifield01
04-12-2016, 06:27 AM
Well at this point it’s a waiting game really let’s see what they say. There is a Keystone Dealer in Key Largo Florida that’s also sells boats bet they have good techs that can repair the crack if this dealer cannot. Seems like every time I take the camper out something falls off cabinet door fell off on one trip, valance on the window fell off, AC vet cover fell off, handle to the vent fell off, cabinet door keeps flying open, guess this is normal for things to fall off on the interior?I had a few screws loosen up on doors on first few trips. I went through and tightened all of the screws on the inside. I found a few more loose.

Tbos
04-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Well at this point it’s a waiting game really let’s see what they say. There is a Keystone Dealer in Key Largo Florida that’s also sells boats bet they have good techs that can repair the crack if this dealer cannot. Seems like every time I take the camper out something falls off cabinet door fell off on one trip, valance on the window fell off, AC vet cover fell off, handle to the vent fell off, cabinet door keeps flying open, guess this is normal for things to fall off on the interior?

I've had nothing fall off yet. Knock on wood. I have tightened a loose screw or two.

dcg9381
04-12-2016, 05:59 PM
I've had cabinet problems also, but they're solved relatively easily - by installing slightly better cabinet catches...

esmoglo
04-14-2016, 08:31 AM
I've had cabinet problems also, but they're solved relatively easily - by installing slightly better cabinet catches...

Good idea. No word from the dealership since Monday guess this is a waiting game.

dcg9381
04-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Good idea. No word from the dealership since Monday guess this is a waiting game.

Mine has been in for 3 weeks now without any feedback. I wonder how long they'd actually take to make a phone call? :-)

Tbos
04-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Mine has been in for 3 weeks now without any feedback. I wonder how long they'd actually take to make a phone call? :-)

If the dealer has looked at it they should have already called Keystone. Once my dealer did that keystone responded in a day or two. The dealer was waiting to hear back. I called Keystone and they were waiting for the dealer. I relayed the message and the work was done in a couple days. Hope it goes well.

dcg9381
04-16-2016, 06:49 AM
In regard to my local dealer:
You set an appointment 45-60 days out.
The appointment is their best guess of when they'll have availability to look at your issue(s). Pretty sure that no one is capable of getting that exactly right.. When I brought it in (on my appointment date) - they told me they were busy (no ETA). This irks me a bit, as I don't like the RV to sit outside - I'd rather bring it in when they have a bay open. But I understand why they can't hold bays on RVs that may or may not show up on time.

I've called Keystone with prior warranty work and inquired about the status of dealer repair orders. Last time I was told that any warranty work / repair order was the "property of the dealer" and they couldn't help me, which certainly isn't consistent with what other people have posted... I didn't push it.

It's not a big deal to call the dealer and check on status. It's a reflection on the dealer, not on Keystone...

My dealer has the best (repair) reputation of any dealer in 150 miles or so. That's a large part of why I purchased from them. In the grand scheme of things, as long as the repairs are right, I can deal with the lack of communication and time to repair.

CaptnJohn
04-16-2016, 05:52 PM
In regard to my local dealer:
You set an appointment 45-60 days out.
The appointment is their best guess of when they'll have availability to look at your issue(s). Pretty sure that no one is capable of getting that exactly right.. When I brought it in (on my appointment date) - they told me they were busy (no ETA). This irks me a bit, as I don't like the RV to sit outside - I'd rather bring it in when they have a bay open. But I understand why they can't hold bays on RVs that may or may not show up on time.

I've called Keystone with prior warranty work and inquired about the status of dealer repair orders. Last time I was told that any warranty work / repair order was the "property of the dealer" and they couldn't help me, which certainly isn't consistent with what other people have posted... I didn't push it.

It's not a big deal to call the dealer and check on status. It's a reflection on the dealer, not on Keystone...

My dealer has the best (repair) reputation of any dealer in 150 miles or so. That's a large part of why I purchased from them. In the grand scheme of things, as long as the repairs are right, I can deal with the lack of communication and time to repair.

I have bought several coaches from my dealer and know the service mgr and GM at that level. I tell them if time is important or not and we work together on that. In your case I'd consider the saying ~~~ the squeaky wheel gets the grease and call every few days.

esmoglo
04-19-2016, 05:50 AM
squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Yes very true I will be passing bye today just to see what they have come up with. Its now over a week with no update figured they would have come up with something by now..

esmoglo
04-20-2016, 04:48 AM
Passed by the dealership yesterday just to see what was going on I figure it’s better to do face-to-face than a phone call. The service writer I’m dealing with advised an email was sent to Keystone on April 11 and he has yet to receive any response.

Called Keystone customer support yesterday and they advised they received nothing from the dealership because they did not get a pre-authorization just to submit the paperwork regarding the repairs that are needed? Yes, I know this sounds confusing but apparently this is the norm. The Keystone representative on the phone asked me what the issues were and I told her crack in the slide, air-conditioning stop working, valances falling off the wall and one of the cabinets needs a new latch, she proceeded to document everything that’s tracked by the last eight numbers of the vehicle identification number in keystones system.

My service writer said call them tomorrow just to do additional follow-up I’ll wait until about 4 PM today to find out what’s going on. In the meantime, believe it or not I’m looking at a new RV again even though this one is not even ready to use or sell until it’s fixed decisions decisions….

Tbos
04-20-2016, 05:09 AM
Passed by the dealership yesterday just to see what was going on I figure it’s better to do face-to-face than a phone call. The service writer I’m dealing with advised an email was sent to Keystone on April 11 and he has yet to receive any response.

Called Keystone customer support yesterday and they advised they received nothing from the dealership because they did not get a pre-authorization just to submit the paperwork regarding the repairs that are needed? Yes, I know this sounds confusing but apparently this is the norm. The Keystone representative on the phone asked me what the issues were and I told her crack in the slide, air-conditioning stop working, valances falling off the wall and one of the cabinets needs a new latch, she proceeded to document everything that’s tracked by the last eight numbers of the vehicle identification number in keystones system.

My service writer said call them tomorrow just to do additional follow-up I’ll wait until about 4 PM today to find out what’s going on. In the meantime, believe it or not I’m looking at a new RV again even though this one is not even ready to use or sell until it’s fixed decisions decisions….

You are experiencing a situation similar to mine where the dealer and Keystone were not communicating. They may have been emailing but not communicating. It's amazing what happens when people talk and take notes. Good luck.

esmoglo
04-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Just got off the phone with dealer that’s doing the repairs Keystone is now aware of the issues asking for a million photos (according to the service writer) of the crack from all different angles and over all condition of the RV. Guess they want to eliminate abuse or miss use but it’s still like new see photo its super clean..

So we are now waiting on Keystone to come up with standard repair process on the cracked slide. A/C, valance & cabinet don’t worry me that can be fixed in a few hours providing they have all the needed parts.

Seems to me getting involved has moved things along allot faster VS just waiting on the dealer.

dcg9381
04-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Eh.. as long as you didn't mount a bike rack, you should be fine.. :-)

esmoglo
04-21-2016, 06:49 AM
Eh.. as long as you didn't mount a bike rack, you should be fine.. :-)

Lol yea no bike rack..

esmoglo
04-27-2016, 05:03 AM
So for authorizations have been provided to the dealer to repair the valance that was falling, cabinet that needed a new latch and the crack in the slide wall. Only item delayed for repair is the 15,000 BTU AC unit that’s completely fried up the dealer says it has to be replaced Keystone dragging their feet on that specific repair. Repair for the slide is basically sand down refill repaint and install new graphic. The dealership advised that’s a basic repair and at least it will be documented but they have no confidence it will actually solve the problem since the area is not only cracked it seems to be swelling. Nonetheless at least some of these items can be addressed at this point in time I’m actually thinking about getting rid of the unit time will tell. Overall Keystone l has been pretty pleasant to deal with by phone although I must say they do drag your feet a bit getting authorizations to the dealerships.

JRTJH
04-27-2016, 07:36 AM
esmoglo,

Some food for thought: Keystone does NOT warranty your broken Air Conditioner. That warranty is provided by the manufacturer of the unit. If it's Dometic, Coleman or one of the "off brands", the "normal" route for repair/replacement (during the first year) is for Keystone to "manage the claim" through the Keystone warranty and then for them to get "reimbursement" for the repair. You (and your dealer) have "every right" to bypass Keystone and go directly to the A/C manufacturer and request repair. This may very well be what your dealership did, and the reason they don't yet have an approval could be that Keystone is not involved, or it could be that Keystone is waiting for the manufacturer to determine how to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, the "broken A/C is not a Keystone problem, all they can do is replace it or repair it at the direction of whoever actually made the unit. You might want to ask the specific question: "Who did you request approval to repair the A/C?"

Here's the direct quote from the Keystone Owner's Manual concerning component warranty:
"Appliance And Component Warranty Service/Administration

Appliance and component manufacturers may or may not provide their own warranties. These warranties are separate from the Keystone Limited Warranty and constitute the only warranty for those specific appliances and
components. The terms, conditions and warranty periods of these items may vary from the Keystone Limited Warranty.

For the appliance and component manufacturers providing warranties, Keystone does, however, administer those warranties during the term of this one year Limited Warranty except for tires, batteries, generators and washer, dryer. All warranty service claims on components must therefore be directed during the one year of this Limited Warranty to Keystone. After the one year period, all appliance and component warranty claims must be directed to the
respective appliance and component manufacturers.

Keystone is not warranting any appliance or components and is only representing that it is authorized to administer the services for such products during the one year term of the Limited Warranty. In no way shall Keystone’s Limited Warranty be modified or amended by Keystone providing administrative services for appliances and components."

When my Dometic A/C stopped cooling (the Cougar was about 5 months old), my dealer contacted Dometic directly. They overnighted a replacement top unit to the dealer who installed it the next morning. You might want to determine exactly "WHO" the dealership says is "dragging their feet" on your A/C.

esmoglo
04-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Ok new AC is on the way from Dometic they don’t want to fix the 6 month old unit, issue was with Keystone per their records showing a 13.5 BUT was installed but on the build sheet it shows 15 BUT so the discrepancy was a paperwork thing needless to say it will be fixed.

chuckster57
04-27-2016, 07:17 PM
As a rule RV A/C units are not repaired if the failure involves the compressor, coils or refrigerant. These units are charged and the charging port is crimped and soldered. No service ports for evacuation/charging.

I don't know what your AC failure was, but I do know that Dometic requires a form filled out with LOTS of information including amp draw, ambient temp, intake and discharge air temp, and other stuff I can't recall right now.

As far as a TON of pictures, you have no idea what it takes anymore and not just Keystone. I had to spend 20 minutes on the phone to tech support for Jensen audio to obtain a "service code" so my dispatcher could contact customer service and get a replacement unit on a brand new class C motorhome, and that's after contacting the manufacturer and getting authorization to make the call.

esmoglo
04-27-2016, 07:33 PM
As a rule RV A/C units are not repaired if the failure involves the compressor, coils or refrigerant. These units are charged and the charging port is crimped and soldered. No service ports for evacuation/charging.

I don't know what your AC failure was, but I do know that Dometic requires a form filled out with LOTS of information including amp draw, ambient temp, intake and discharge air temp, and other stuff I can't recall right now.

As far as a TON of pictures, you have no idea what it takes anymore and not just Keystone. I had to spend 20 minutes on the phone to tech support for Jensen audio to obtain a "service code" so my dispatcher could contact customer service and get a replacement unit on a brand new class C motorhome, and that's after contacting the manufacturer and getting authorization to make the call.

Wow seems rather wasteful really to make disposable AC units. Wonder how it would have been handled with the extended warranty would the have tried to fix it?

With the RV industry booming again they need a faster response time and better customer service I guess or perhaps this is as good as it gets?

chuckster57
04-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Extended warranty would do the same thing with slightly less testing/documentation.

RV industry may be booming, and with that comes an increased volume of warranty claims waiting for approval and parts to be shipped. Contrary to what it seems people post, more and more units of every make are arriving from the factory with less and less issues. We are a Keystone dealer and I can say that a vast majority of the units are good to go. And from my perspective ALL manufacturers are stepping up and covering some things that in the past we knew would be denied.

Faster response? I think Keystone does a good job compared to others, there are some better but believe me, Keystone isn't what I would consider slow. Good as it gets? Probably but in these days of Emails and the ability to send digital images instantly, think what it would take if we had to take picture, develop the roll and mail them. Wait for a written response in the mail, write back requesting parts... you get the idea. :)

esmoglo
04-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Extended warranty would do the same thing with slightly less testing/documentation.

RV industry may be booming, and with that comes an increased volume of warranty claims waiting for approval and parts to be shipped. Contrary to what it seems people post, more and more units of every make are arriving from the factory with less and less issues. We are a Keystone dealer and I can say that a vast majority of the units are good to go. And from my perspective ALL manufacturers are stepping up and covering some things that in the past we knew would be denied.

Faster response? I think Keystone does a good job compared to others, there are some better but believe me, Keystone isn't what I would consider slow. Good as it gets? Probably but in these days of Emails and the ability to send digital images instantly, think what it would take if we had to take picture, develop the roll and mail them. Wait for a written response in the mail, write back requesting parts... you get the idea. :)

Good points indeed I appreciate your input.

denverpilot
04-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Wow seems rather wasteful really to make disposable AC units. Wonder how it would have been handled with the extended warranty would the have tried to fix it?

I don't believe they're "disposable".

I think the manufacturers have regional collection places to properly recycle them, including capturing refrigerant. Usually a contractor. And I think they have a core charge.

Could be wrong though.

chuckster57
04-28-2016, 03:13 AM
No core charge, only batteries have a core charge that I'm aware of.

As with most warranty replacement, payment can be dependent on the failed part being returned. No part, or if it's found to be good, no payment and return shipping is not paid for either.

JRTJH
04-28-2016, 04:11 AM
Wow seems rather wasteful really to make disposable AC units.

All of the A/C units in Sam's, WalMart and other stores (5000 - 15000 BTU) are all "configured" like RV rooftop air conditioners. They all are "charged with Freon at the factory" and the "charge port" is crimped and soldered closed. Gone are the days of installing a "fill valve" in a small air conditioner. While I'm sure "some brands" still do it, the "Funai" "GE" and "Solair" models you find on the shelves of big box and discount stores are "replace, can't repair" models just like Dometic's RV systems.

Think about the last time you saw a "Radio/TV Repair Shop" or a "Small Appliance Repair Shop" on the street corner? More and more, the trend is to replace, not repair small electronics, appliances and power tools.