PDA

View Full Version : New prospective buyer

JWMiami
02-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Hello, I have put a refundable down payment on a new 2015 Passport 2400bh for 19k. I love the fact that I was able to get last years model brand new for what I consider a good price. I was at a RV show the other day and saw a 2016 KZ Spree with the exact same floor plan for 6k more. I am definitely leaning towards the Keystone based on the color scheme and the lower price, but I wanted to get some opinions on which one you guys would go with? A 2016 KZ Spree or 2015 Passport 2400BH? Your expertise would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much

Festus2
02-18-2016, 04:45 PM
I am definitely leaning towards the Keystone based on the color scheme and the lower price, but I wanted to get some opinions on which one you guys would go with? A 2016 KZ Spree or 2015 Passport 2400BH? Your expertise would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much

A few random thoughts -

1) What is it about the Spree that you would be willing to part with an extra $6000? Will you getting $6000 worth of features that aren't available in the Passport?

2) Are you and your wife on the same page as to which one of the two you prefer? Don't forget that both of you will be living in it for short periods of time. "If the wife ain't happy ....."

3) Do you have children? pets? Do both units allow for this?

4) Floor plan is critical but it seems that both are identical so this isn't a factor.

5) What about the dealer? Another crucial factor to consider. How will you be treated AFTER you purchase the unit? You can't put a value on a good dealer!

6) Do you have a tow vehicle that is a good match for both units? Not just being able to pull it but pull it safely!

Best of luck with whatever YOU decide.

JWMiami
02-18-2016, 05:53 PM
Honestly, after looking at both units they are absolutely identical. Both seem to have the same exact features and extras and all that. The only thing I don't know about is the stuff I can't see, such as what's underneath the flooring, quality of the frame etc. For instance, some dealer I met at the RV show told me that Keystones have styrofoam underneath the flooring instead of plywood. Now I didn't believe that, but me being a new RV guy who knows what's under there lol. Basically I just wanted to ask you guys if anybody knows the reputation of KZ trailers and if they are built better or worse and if so is it worth the extra 4 or 5 thousand. My best friend has the same Keystone I am looking at and loves it but I was just wanting a few extra opinions I guess

sourdough
02-18-2016, 06:32 PM
I think you are probably asking some very subjective questions. Many of them can be answered by only you.

Festus2 posed some good thoughts. As far as the 6k difference; one is a 2015 (previous year) and one is a 2016; that will have a bearing on the price...dealers want to get the old out to make way for new inventory. Many folks look for a situation like that to get a great deal on a new rig.

I've never owned a KZ but I've heard/read good and bad about them....just like every other RV brand out there. As far as construction, at that price point there is no manufacturer making a limo model while everyone else is chumping out. Looking at the construction of both models they look pretty much the same. As far as foam insulation under the floor....they both do it appears. Plywood decking...they both do, so....

As I always say, look at it for eye appeal to you, touch the fabric, walls etc. Open the drawers, compare the appliances, AC/heating (same btu on heaters/same size ACs), check the mattress, size of tires/wheels etc. ARE they exactly the same. Looking at specs they may not be. The Spree appears to have an enclosed underbelly. Looking at specs on the Passport it looks like a couple of the Passport models may not have the enclosed underbelly.

I think it's a matter of making sure you look at the units closely and make sure you are comparing apples to apples and then let the price be the guiding factor.

JRTJH
02-18-2016, 06:57 PM
You can download a Passport brochure at http://www.keystonerv.com/request-a-brochure/files?brand=Passport

On page 14 of that brochure you'll find a diagram that does a pretty good job of showing the construction techniques for the current model Passport RV's. You'll notice that, as the "KZ salesman" indicated, the Passport floor is composed of welded aluminum joists, filled with expanding foam, laminated between three sheets of 1/4" luan plywood. Essentially it is 3/4" luan plywood with 2" of Styrofoam insulation constructed on an aluminum floor system. The overall R value is R-11 for the foam plus added R value for the plywood and the empty, enclosed space under the floor.

The "expanded foam/aluminum structure" bonded to luan plywood is used in the walls of both brands. If it were "unreliable" I'd suppose neither Keystone or KZ would use it there or the floor.

You can compare the KZ brochure found here: http://www.kz-rv.com/brochures/2016/2016-KZ-RV-Spree-Brochure.pdf You'll find a comparable chart on page 7. I believe KZ advertises their floor as 5/8" plywood mounted above a welded aluminum joist system with spaces filled with unfaced fiberglass with the lower surface covered with DARCO (a water resistant spun (unwoven) poly fabric). KZ does not advertise their floor R value, but I would suppose it is similar to Keystone.

Which type of floor is better? Each has pros and cons. The Styrofoam floor is not subject to absorbing water as easily, so it would maintain the R value even when wet, the fiberglass floor reduces noise more readily but quickly loses its R value if it becomes wet while towing.

As for frames, Lippert (LCI) builds almost all the frames for every RV brand, with the exception of some very specialized (and expensive) RV's. So as for the frame, wheels, tires, appliances, furniture, cabinets, countertops, holding tanks, plumbing components, windows, doors and flooring, chances are they are all manufactured by the same suppliers.

KZ does have a 2 year warranty as opposed to Keystone's 1 year warranty, but is that, in combination with the other factors, worth the difference in pricing? Only you can decide that based on your own personal needs and requirements.

Mike484
02-18-2016, 06:58 PM
All manufacturers build pretty much the same thing in the same price range, with quality, comes price. If you truly want high quality, go with Airstream and pay a lot, lot more. Otherwise they are all pretty close to the same. The Passport is build as an ultralight, which means that for the same size, it will be lighter, which is why we went with passport (half ton truck).

We went to several dealerships and looked at several makes, all of them down talked their competitors. I surfed the web for complaints, all manufacturers have complaints, even the ones that told us they are the best built in the industry. They all have the good, the bad, and the ugly.

You need to nail down what your wants and needs are, then look for the make/model that best fits those wants and needs while remaining within your budget. And as stated above, find a dealer that will take care of you, which the only way to really know is by talking to people who have purchased from them in the past, not always an easy task, but if you can, you should.

Bottom line is, you need to be happy with your RV, so you are the best judge as to what it is that will keep you happy.

JWMiami
02-18-2016, 07:26 PM
Thank you guys for all the info. Very helpful! Yeah, the KZ salesman actually mocked me for even considering a Keystone and brought up the Styrofoam and other things, but he seemed like a pushy salesman/blowhard so I was wary of him to say the least. But I thought I would ask your guys opinion about the technical stuff instead of that pushy guy. Yeah the Keystone dealership seems pretty good, I met the owner and his wife and they both seem like very nice people and the reviews on the place seem pretty good. I am going to go with the Keystone, its just when that guy said all that I did get a little worried. I guess I started to fall into his trap lol

sourdough
02-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Good for you! If it feels right, looks right, and DW/DH think it's what they want, the last thing either of you need to do is worry about ramblings from an RV salesman. I've dealt with many and I would have to say that their combined knowledge of an RV is minimal. Combine that with their desire to take your money and you get my drift. Do your homework. Ask the right questions. KNOW what you are looking at and what you are looking for. Make the decision and GO HAVE FUN! Good luck!

Tbos
02-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Sounds like you have all you need to make a good decision. I've had 2 Passports and loved them both. Just make sure you do a good PDI and the dealer walks you through it all. Have fun and enjoy. We look forward to seeing pictures of your setup when you get it.

whitmw
02-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Just bought my 2400bh from Big Daddy RV for 19500 out the door. Thats a 2016 model. Very happy with it. :D

CaptnJohn
02-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Just bought my 2400bh from Big Daddy RV for 19500 out the door. Thats a 2016 model. Very happy with it. :D

Congratulations!!

bsmith0404
02-20-2016, 05:07 AM
I've been t so many RV dealerships and talked to so many RV salesmen. I would be willing to bet that many of them do not even own one themselves. I prefer the guy who can give me pros and cons of each item other than just bad mouthing the competition. When we bought our Alpine, the dealership sold many different brands, not just Keystone. He was very knowledgeable and explained the differences between each that we were interested in an allowed us to decide which was best for us. The way I see it, each builds a similar product at a similar price point. They may use different methods to get there, but non of them is going to be willing to give the other a significant advantaged. Enjoy your new Passport and don't lose any sleep over the ramblings of a salesman who can't say enough good about his product so he has to talk bad about the competition.

GT2400BH
02-21-2016, 05:47 AM
We love our 2400bh. We were just at the dealer looking at the 2670bh. Same thing but with a couch and a little longer.
we like the floor plan lay out everything seems to be of good quality.
The bathroom door swing makes using a bunk ladder a little inconvinete on both. We also noticed in the 2670. Some bathroom doors are hinged on the right and some on the left.

Barbell
02-21-2016, 06:36 AM
We spent the better part of two years looking before we bought a Montana. Two things about it sold us: first, the bathroom door from the hall swings into the bathroom rather than out into the hall. That way you don't have to go down a step or two to get around that door when coming from the bedroom. The other was the offset between the stationary floor and the slide floor. On the Montana, there is little or no offset but on many others, especially the Montana High Country, there is an inch or more offset. The other thing we ran into was the lack of knowledge about their product on the part of many of the sales people we contacted in Arizona, California and Colorado. A sales staff in Prescott AZ was not aware that the Alpine and the Montana were built by the same company. If you do your homework, you likely will be more knowledgeable than most of the sales people.