PDA

View Full Version : Lippert Keystone Garage Doors

roadglide
01-06-2016, 03:53 PM
I have the 311 Impact with a garage door splitting down the middle and mushy I use aluminum 4 ft ramp to load my harley so there is no sign of wear on the door. My last visit for warranty work at the dealer I showed them my door and they didn't like what they seen. They took pictures and called me back with instruction on what keystone Lippert wanted to see. I took the pictures and e mailed them back to the dealer. My new door is on its way.

bdaniel
01-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Keystone replaced mine. Now it is splitting again. I have an open case with Lippert and waiting on an answer.

Bobby

JRTJH
01-07-2016, 11:18 AM
There have been a number of threads about garage doors "bending", "splitting", "creasing" as well as other damage being caused by loading "what is thought to be acceptable loading weight".

I believe, at one time, the garage door "ramp" was a different item than the "garage door/patio" system. There are several threads on the forum discussing various types of damage to the ramp, how they were "repaired/replaced" by Keystone, solutions to prevent future damage to similar doors and a couple of discussions about "beefier door/ramps" on future models vs exchanging a ramp/patio door for the "lighter weight" ramp door. I don't know if all the current ramp doors are the same as the ramp/patio floor systems or if there is still a different type of ramp being installed.

You might want to do some extended reading on threads from the past 2 or 3 years to get some insight into how others have been challenged and what they did to resolve their problems....

Good Luck.

roadglide
01-07-2016, 04:37 PM
One of the pictures I took was the serial number stamp. there must have been a bad lot of doors. I called my dealer about patio ramp they called me back and said the doors are stronger for the patio. My door was already being shipped. My door was like that from the dealer there was a 2014 worse then mine with a chunk broke out of the center. I knew the issues with Lippert doors that is why I use a aluminum ramp. The previous 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous toy hauler door is thinner I never baby it.

Zappa
02-12-2016, 04:09 PM
I went the rounds with Lippert and my dealer about my door. It was creased down the center as well. They went as far as to tell me that I was over loading it because of the weight of my Goldwing, 900 lbs give or take. The door is rated at 3000 distributed evenly. Well to make a long story short, my door was replaced 3 times and I heard the story about there being a bad lot of doors from Lippert also. My last door was supposed to be from the lot after the claimed issues with the doors. Now my 3rd door has the same crease in it as the other two and they say thats just the way it is. Im waiting for it to have a catastrophic failure and then Im going to get me a lawyer.

Good luck to you

bdaniel
02-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Lippert agreed to replace my door and my unit is out of warranty. The 2nd door had the same seam down the middle within a couple of months. My dealer is ordering the 3rd door now. I have little confidence the new one will not have the same problem.

This is stupid.

Bobby

roadglide
02-12-2016, 06:54 PM
BS is the better word. I was at Rv show in Quartzsite AZ and took pictures of lippert doors used for patio no flaws at all. Patio door is stronger with a layer of aluminum or something that can support people but not your toys safely. My door is in and I was told its the same.

BlueknightWI
02-14-2016, 07:05 AM
My 2015 Impact 311 has a crack right in the middle where the bolt comes through to the hinges. I've been taking pictures for Lippert/Keystone three different times. They still want a better picture. So, once again I will go into the storage building and try to get them what they want. The odd thing is, I never have run my Ultra Limited up the middle of the ramp. Always up the driver's side as that is the side I tie the bike down on. Still under warranty, so we will see what they do.

BlueknightWI
02-14-2016, 07:09 AM
This is the crack in my ramp-if the jpg uploaded.

roadglide
02-14-2016, 07:45 PM
That is small but the same area as the 2014 had a chunk broken out we look at. Is it like a sponge down the center of the ramp? I sent pictures to the dealer claims after keystone requested my pictures.

BlueknightWI
02-15-2016, 06:41 AM
Not as of yet. But as I said, I never rode the bike up the center of the ramp. Only walked there. I would be interested to see the aluminum ramp set up the one guy uses.

That is small but the same area as the 2014 had a chunk broken out we look at. Is it like a sponge down the center of the ramp? I sent pictures to the dealer claims after keystone requested my pictures.

Beerdude41867
02-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Lippert is sending me a second "Goodwill door replacement" on my 2013 Fuzion. Although I am happy they are replacing it a second time now, even though my rig is out of warranty, it's not a solution to the problem. If the "patio" doors are stronger and not susceptible to this separation down the middle, they should axe the ramp doors from their product line and sell only the "patio" door to the OEM. After they agreed to send me out another door, I even offered to pay the difference for the "patio" door. They said they could not do that because, blah, blah, blah. What sucks is after I got the first replacement door, I had custom graphics painted on it. What do you guys think about a class action law suit? This is a big, known problem. I just looked at two of my buddies doors which are both Lipperts, and they are both cracked.

bdaniel
02-18-2016, 02:51 AM
Lippert is sending me a second "Goodwill door replacement" on my 2013 Fuzion. Although I am happy they are replacing it a second time now, even though my rig is out of warranty, it's not a solution to the problem. If the "patio" doors are stronger and not susceptible to this separation down the middle, they should axe the ramp doors from their product line and sell only the "patio" door to the OEM. After they agreed to send me out another door, I even offered to pay the difference for the "patio" door. They said they could not do that because, blah, blah, blah. What sucks is after I got the first replacement door, I had custom graphics painted on it. What do you guys think about a class action law suit? This is a big, known problem. I just looked at two of my buddies doors which are both Lipperts, and they are both cracked.

Are they sending the door directly to you or a dealer? I hate working thru the dealer. We also had a large decal on the door that will have to be replaced. Very frustrating.

Bobby

Zappa
02-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Class action law suit? Where do I sign!!! I heard the same cock and bull story from them about upgrading to the "Patio" door. I had a 2005 Thor toy hauler prior to this one and that door was tough as a slab of concrete.

Beerdude41867
02-18-2016, 12:51 PM
bdaniel, they are sending,it directly to me. I installed the first replacement myself. Very easy with a few people to help. It's even on there per the Lippert instructions, the original wasn't, it was missing nuts on the outermost hinges, as the instructions indicate. Damn Keystone! But I would not let them know you're going to install it yourself, may become a warranty denial excuse.
As far as that class action lawsuit I brought up, I'm not personally savvy enough to start something like that, but I'm sure there's lots of dudes on this site that are. But if someone starts one, I'm in!

roadglide
02-19-2016, 09:40 PM
The trouble is the back side starts to explodeds in the center . I use aluminum ramp there is no evidence of a tire mark on my door. If the second door starts explodes I'll secure it with sheats of aluminum with sticky sand paper.

BlueknightWI
02-21-2016, 07:09 AM
Roadglide, Do you have pictures of this aluminum ramp you use?

roadglide
02-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Highlander 1121400 69 inch ramp Amazon . My review was the one to reinforce the center rail simple to reinforce.

bdaniel
02-27-2016, 06:57 AM
If anyone wants to see photos of my two door failures I have photos and some details on my website:

http://bobbystuff.com/rv/400/split-loading-ramp-door

Thanks,
Bobby

dcg9381
02-29-2016, 07:43 AM
Yeesh.. definite bow, not to mention that line. Have you considered just plating over that area. Aluminum would probably not be great with a gold-wing (traction) - but clearly some sort of weight distribution is necessary there...

bdaniel
02-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Yeesh.. definite bow, not to mention that line. Have you considered just plating over that area. Aluminum would probably not be great with a gold-wing (traction) - but clearly some sort of weight distribution is necessary there...

If I was out of warranty I might have considered that. But I am not overloading the door. It should handle the weight. And we don't see these problems with the full width doors. So why is it so difficult to make a more narrow door work?

It just bugs me. A $40k RV should not have a defective door. This is not rocket science. And I am within 200 lbs of my gross weight. I am hesitant about adding more weight.

Bobby

dcg9381
02-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Bobby - I totally agree with you.

" I have a 2006 Gold Wing motorcycle and the total weight with me on it is probably around 1,150 pounds. The door is rated for a total of 1,600 lbs with a maximum of 1,000 lbs per wheel contact. "

I'd love to see you get a strengthened door, of course...

My "other" note would be that motorcycles tend to have fairly narrow contact patterns compared to cars or ATVs, even an MC as big as a Wing... I wonder if they assume contact to be 4+ inches per wheel?

Have you ever seen a dissection of that door? It'd be interesting to see how it's made..

bdaniel
02-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Have you ever seen a dissection of that door? It'd be interesting to see how it's made..

I plan to have a razor knife with me and just before they replace it or maybe right afterwards I plan to slit it down the middle to take a look :)

And the Goldwing has a Mini Cooper car tire on the rear so the contact area is closer to 5-6 inches wide.

Bobby

dcg9381
02-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Right, but the weight distribution on a GW is line 45 front 55 rear - with a rider biasing it more towards the front.

Again, not making any excuses for a door that says rated for that weight.. Or the weight of a big Harley... Take photos when you open up that door.

roadglide
02-29-2016, 07:39 PM
On my door and its full size being engineering mistake because there should Not joined down the center . The Material needs to be installed across the traffic area. Ill be taking my Impact in for another garage door this week.

roadglide
03-25-2016, 07:15 PM
I got my new garage door installed today with new heaver springs that make it easy to lift. The sticker on the door says 3000 lbs max capacity with the load evenly distributed. Max 1000 lbs per wheel. manufactured 1/12/ 16. This new door is much better built then the original. I was told its under warrenty .

Beerdude41867
04-08-2016, 12:16 PM
How is it much better built?

roadglide
04-08-2016, 04:01 PM
The original door had the stamp but with no weight stamped any where. With The new door and springs its a cinch to lift. There is no line running down the middle or the sponge effect I had with the other door. I don't know because it lifts easy. Im assuming its a better up graded design and 3 years newer. I'm not afraid to make a patio with this new ramp.