PDA

View Full Version : bike rack for 2015 cougars 26rbi

Marcuswillbe
02-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Hi gang,

Anyone as a bike rack for is 2015 cougars 26rbi? Trying to figure out what to buy for my rear bike rack. Not sure how much weight the bumper can hold!! I already have my back rack that I use on one of my vehicle and I just wanted to add it to my trailer when leaving for a camping trip. I found on the net the Curt RV Bumper Hitch Receiver E-100.

Any help would be appreciated!

Festus2
02-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Hi gang,

Anyone as a bike rack for is 2015 cougars 26rbi? Trying to figure out what to buy for my rear bike rack. Not sure how much weight the bumper can hold!! I already have my back rack that I use on one of my vehicle and I just wanted to add it to my trailer when leaving for a camping trip. I found on the net the Curt RV Bumper Hitch Receiver E-100.

Any help would be appreciated!

Try typing in "bicycle rack" or "bike rack" using the forum's search feature to read numerous post/threads about this topic.

There is also a recent post by JRTJH about a caution from the folks at Trailer Life magazine about the installation of bike racks and how that may void your warranty. This topic just came up in past few days.

Personally, I would not add a bike rack of any description onto the bumper. Bike racks should be mounted - welded or bolted - to the frame IMO.

Marcuswillbe
02-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks Festus.

I read JRTJH post right after I posted my question. I was trying to find options before I go ahead with bolting the hitch for my bike rack to the frame.

thanks again

Festus2
02-18-2016, 01:19 PM
Thanks Festus.

I read JRTJH post right after I posted my question. I was trying to find options before I go ahead with bolting the hitch for my bike rack to the frame.

thanks again

Many members have welded a receiver hitch to the frame and then purchased a quality rack from Thule or similar outfitter that fits firmly into the usual trailer receiver hitch.

Marcuswillbe
02-18-2016, 01:32 PM
thanks again. Already have the quality rack. Will have the receiver installed to the frame when the snow decides to go away hopefully in 2 months :)

1l243
02-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Check out link and scroll to bottom for what i did.

There are ways to beef up your bumper and stabilize your rack. Or you could go with a Lippert Rack where the brackets are welded to the frame.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24269&page=2

rjsurfer
02-21-2016, 04:07 AM
Before putting my bike rack on the bumper of my 5th wheel I ditched the spare tire rack and tire which was bolted to the bumper.

I actually shaved some weight off the bumper,

I just keep the spare in my truck bed, doesn't take up that much room.

Ron W.

bill-e
02-28-2016, 07:41 AM
Hi gang,

Any help would be appreciated!Does your bumper actually protrude out the back? My 26RBI bumper sticks out maybe an inch which wouldn't leave much clearance for the bike.

CaptnJohn
02-28-2016, 11:19 AM
My 2016 Cougar 303 RLS has bike rack/ platform attached to the frame, not the bumper. It came that way from the factory. As bold as can be it is marked 200# limit. Never used it...

Marcuswillbe
03-02-2016, 11:45 AM
hi Bill, at this present moment there's to much snow over here. I'll have a better sense of what I need to do when it's all gone!! I'll let you know when it's all done.

Marc

CWtheMan
03-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Here is a picture of a factory installed bike carrier on a Keystone RV trailer.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29906

CWSWine
03-07-2016, 08:01 PM
Lippert that makes the frames that most of the Keystone use makes a hitch to install on the frame. Call them before you order and talk options with them. Here is the website of the people that probably designed, manufactured and test you frame and the hitches they designed to go it....

http://store.lci1.com/products/storage-towing-and-security/bike-racks-receivers