PDA

View Full Version : What is a reasonable distance to tow per day?

BlueThunder34
02-18-2016, 12:12 PM
We have a few longer trips planned this year (about 800 miles each way) and wondering what your experience is for what one can reasonable expect to tow in a day. Conventionally driving a car I can easily cover that distance in one run but not sure how realistic that would be towing the travel trailer. Any thoughts?

Ken / Claudia
02-18-2016, 12:31 PM
I think it will be different with each driver depending on the road, day or night travel, weather, traffic conditions etc. I try not to be in a hurry and plan stops every 2-3 hours and will travel 8 to maybe 12 hours a day, again if conditions are good. When you get sleepy or just stare ahead thru the windshield it is time to stop.

cw3jason
02-18-2016, 12:35 PM
I plan for 10hrs a day at 60mph which gives me 600 miles a day. like Ken said some days I do 8 and sometimes I do 12, but For planning purposes 600miles is a good plan. Now when I retire, I can take as long as I want to get somewhere.

byrdr1
02-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks for asking..
I am looking at 1300 mile one way drive this summer.
and was wondering the same thing. I thought 6 hours a day would be tops. but looking at these times. I might be able to take a day off the trip out. Coming back we wont have the camper so that will help. i will have to make this trip twice in a 10 week period. Coming back and going back later No camper.. So I will keep up with this thread.
thanks
randy

notanlines
02-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Blue, Brenda and I would generally leave early the first day and make the first 500. That brings on a stop, quick set-up and a couple of cold ones as a reward. Then we would put the 300 on early the 2nd day and relax big time then. 800 miles at one stretch towing a TT is out of line. This is just our opinion. I'm sure there will be others.

JRTJH
02-18-2016, 01:43 PM
When we were in the military, reaching the destination was the goal. After retirement from the military, while working, "maximizing vacation time" was the goal. We'd drive all day/all night to get where we were going and then sleep 2 days trying to recover...

Now that we've retired, that mindset of "destination is the goal" is no longer in our vocabulary. We plan 300 miles a day, usually get up late, eat a leisurely breakfast, hitch up/break camp and try to be on the road "after the rush hour traffic" around 9 or 10. Six hours later, we're looking for some place to stop for the night. That's usually 3 or 4 PM, just in time for "happy hour"....

There have been days we've left camp at 9, seen something interesting on the road at 9:30, pulled off the highway to "sightsee" and wound up looking for a campground 25 miles from where we spent the previous night...

If there's a "destination goal" we try to schedule 300-350 a day, maybe 400, but then it's time to stop !!! We much prefer to "make the journey a part of the trip" rather than drive "pointedly" to where we're headed without stopping to smell the roses along the way.....

theallde
02-18-2016, 02:03 PM
I agree with John (JRTJH) - some days are under 100 miles and other days are closer to 400 miles, it just depends on weather, traffic and sights. As an estimate, I use MapQuest for mileage from Point A to Point B and then divide by 65mph for a approximate travel time.

B-O-B'03
02-18-2016, 02:59 PM
On our trip to Colorado last May, we drove from Dallas to Amarillo and spent the night in the TX travel center parking lot. Got up the next morning gassed up, had breakfast and drove to Monument, CO, spent a few days "camped" in my BIL's driveway.

We left Monument and drove to the Collegiate Peaks campground, just west of Beuna Vista and spent 5 nights there (Nice campground).

The way home was pretty much a straight shot, broke camp and was on the road by 8AM. Met my SIL in Pueblo, gathered up MIL and FIL from her, DW made some sandwiches, for lunch and we were off, stopped for dinner in Childress and were home by 1AM, I think it was just under 800 miles, speed was 60 to 65, gas stops every 200ish miles (damn the 26 gallon tank :banghead:).

YMMV, everyone has different aptitudes and abilities, long haul driving is something I have always loved doing.

-Brian

sourdough
02-18-2016, 02:59 PM
A "reasonable" amount of driving time or miles depends on each individual and their circumstances.

As has been mentioned above, when we were working, it was out the door, hit the gas, and drive till we got there; have some fun, do the same for the return then collapse. We don't do that now. I research my trip and try to find campgrounds about 6hrs apart. At times we get sidetracked.

Depending on your situation you may need to drive longer. As far as I'm concerned 8hrs towing a trailer in one stretch is enough. I also don't drive at night anymore unless it is really a have to situation. If you're young and like driving you might go 10 hours but you lose out on spending any time at your destination. Just some thoughts.

byrdr1
02-18-2016, 03:47 PM
I know I am not the original poster. But this peaks my attention.. I am 59 & haven't made more than a 6 hour pull since we have had campers. Popup through 5er. The 1250 mile +- trip states an 18 plus hour drive. So I was counting on 6 hours of driving a day. We have the time going out first round. Going to OK. Then mom & me. Rolling home ASAP. Return trip in 10weeks would be a flip and burn in around 4days..but weather, roads, vehicles will dictate this depending on timing with us return to NC.
I do appreciate all your comments to the original poster for my FMI.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

slow
02-18-2016, 05:05 PM
We target 5 hours with lunch midway and do not worry about miles. But we have done 10+ when I felt up to it and we had a destination target. But pulling into a campground at night is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vampress_me
02-18-2016, 05:13 PM
My first-timer experience last summer pulling our camper on longer trips definitely sold me on shorter days on the road. We had 2 trips planned, one to Ithaca, NY, and one to western MT. Both were about 1200 miles from our house.

The first trip was to Ithaca. I divided that into 3 days of travel so we didn't have to rush in the morning, got to the next campground late afternoon and had plenty of time to set up, relax, and make supper.

The trip out west had to be longer travel days due to our new truck coming in a few days before leaving, and needing to be out there on a set date. So, we only had 2 days to do the 1200 miles. On the plus side, it was a route we have driven many, many times over the past 10 years or so, so I knew where to stop for gas, stop overnight, etc. But, I decided we would stay in a hotel in Glendive, MT (halfway point in trip) just so we wouldn't have to be rushed setting up late and having a really late supper, and have to pack it all up the next morning to get on the road early. Both trips it was our 2 kiddos and me, hubby was working. We picked him up when we got there. :)

From my point of view, the slower, easier days were much more enjoyable. The rushing from point A to point B wasn't bad, but definitely not my favorite especially if I had had to set up each night.

This summer we are planning a trip out to friends by Glacier again, down to Missoula, over to fish the Missouri, and then through Yellowstone home. And I'm planning to drive shorter days again.

BlueThunder34
02-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Seems like 10 hrs would be the max I could expect to pull safely without becoming a zombie with the deer in the headlight look.

CWSWine
02-18-2016, 06:55 PM
We pack everything up the day before and get up early the next morning and get on the road for the first day and travel between 400 to 500 miles. Then after that we try to limit our travel to 350 miles or so per day.

Pmedic4
02-18-2016, 07:40 PM
We probably plan on around the 400 mile mark, +/- 50 depending upon a RV site. Having said that, during a recent trip back home from Florida, during the huge winter storm that dumped 24" of snow on the east coast, we decided to push it, going 670 miles to avoid that spell of bad weather.

If there is anything worse than towing through a large city during rush hour, it's towing on icy roads, in slow crawling traffic.

While it wasn't our first choice, it was nice the next day when we only had a little over 200 miles left for the drive home.

JeffS
02-18-2016, 07:50 PM
One of the nice things about being retired is how you can change your perspective on travel. Fortunately for us, time is not a constraint. We consider the travel time a chance to take a closer look at the area we are passing through. Typically 300 - 350 miles is the daily max which allows frequent opportunities to stop and see something or just to kick back with a cup of coffee. We never hit the road before 9:30am. A good leisurely breakfast seems to start the day off on a positive note.

bsmith0404
02-18-2016, 08:10 PM
I've done short days and long days and to be honest, I don't enjoy the short days at all. I did one trip where I only traveled about 300 miles per day, and took 4 days to go 1260 miles. To be honest, I got tired of setting up and tearing down. Didn't really have that much time to relax and enjoy the area. I've done the same trip in 2 days and spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. Ate at a nearby restaurant and put the slides out so we could sleep (wouldn't have done that if the kids weren't with us). I would much rather drive about 600 miles per day, make overnight stops as easy as possible and relax when I get to my destination. 600 seems to be a comfortable distance for me. I've done 700 mile days, but that seemed to be a bit of a drain.

sourdough
02-18-2016, 08:24 PM
bsmith0404

This is just from memory and I may be wrong but do I recall that you hauled/delivered RVs for manufacturers? That might make a large difference in perspectives.. If my memory is defective (anymore who knows) I apologize.

Desert185
02-18-2016, 11:13 PM
We tow at 60 MPH. With a few stops enroute for a leg stretch we're lucky to average 50 MPH, so we plan on 300 miles max, stopping by 3 PM. We've done more, but six hours on the road is enough for us when towing.

allmi01
02-19-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm surprised that our retired LEO's didn't also add that under CDL rules, 10 hours driving 14 hours "on duty" are the professionals limits.

I adhere to that as much as possible.

My DW and I shoot for a max of 500 miles +/- 100 on long trips. 4 days to San Diego from Chicago.

This said, I have also done the "big push" and did 750 from Chicago to Lancaster, PA area twice last year for work towing the TT. 13 + hours non-stop. I'll be honest, it was a lot and started to push my limits.

Safety first. If you have the time, keep it to 10 or under hours driving, 14 total on the road. ou will feel a lot better physically for it.

My .02 cents worth.

Mike

koko
02-19-2016, 12:31 PM
We try to keep it at about 300-350 miles a day when we're long-distance-destination bound. Much of this depends on road conditions, wind conditions, traffic conditions, stops made...We will "occasionally" have to go 450 miles; but we start to feel pretty rummy by the time we stop unless we're on good, low-traffic roads in perfect weather conditions. Wind and darkness are not our friend. We never go over 65 mph (tire safety issues) and usually are averaging about 55-60. We think that no one - young or old - can pull a trailer for 10+ hours or 500 miles per day (especially for several days in a row) safely when it's just one driver, and it has just as much to do with the safety of others as it does with how "we feel". Even before we retired, when we were pulling we had to fight to keep safety factors above "lets get there as quickly as we can".

gearhead
02-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Back in the old days we would drive straight thru after work to Pagosa Springs for hunting trips. We had a cabover and would trade places every few hours. It's 1,000 miles and 19-24 hours depending if we took a mule. I've driven by myself to Walsenburg. These days 6 hours is my goal. Headed north or east we know where our first stop is and that's 5 hours for both.
When we had the Cougar XLite 3 or 4 years ago I pulled from Bristol TN. straight thru to Liberty...1,000 miles. Not wanting to, but the daughter was having a "relationship crisis" and DW wanted to GET HOME. The Ford 350 couldn't tell the little Cougar was back there. All was well until about 9pm and I came across the bridge in Baton Rouge to a massive truck wreck. All ended well with the daughter.

larry337
02-20-2016, 03:30 AM
Actually it's a total of 11 hrs driving and no driving after the 14th hour at which time a 10 hour break is required. And it doesn't apply to non CDL activities anyway. 500-600 miles a day is nothing for a truck driver. Just another day at the office so to speak. Everyone's pace and tolerance will be different. Personally I can cover a lot of ground in 24 hrs, stopping for short breaks, or letting my wife take over for a couple hours. I do a lot of the heavy lifting after dark. In my job I work nights driving semi. So I'm in my zone at night, I kind of get my second wind once evening sets in as that's what I do for a living. Obviously the answers will be all over the board. Different drivers, passengers, and agendas. Everyone requires different amounts of sleep to be able to function. Everyone has different energy levels. You just have to find your own comfort zone. For us, we don't plan stops. We drive till we get where we're going. If I'm tired, I find a place to park and we climb in the trailer and take a nap. Or we sit down for a meal somewhere and take an hour break. I realize we're the exception to the rule, most people wouldn't be able to keep up with us. For me it's not rushing either, it's not stressful, it's just what I do. But one thing I believe in is stopping every 3 hours or so, 4 at most. I get fuel, use the bathroom, stretch my legs and resume driving.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SADLY
02-20-2016, 03:56 AM
In addition to the comments regarding "it depends" from many posters ahead of me...

I'll add one other thing that adds or detracts from the enjoyment....

SCENERY.... Many times driving through western Oklahoma I want to stab myself in the eye after just 4 hours because there is NOTHING to see/look at...

But drive between Oklahoma City and San Antonio (which may take 10 hours depending upon traffic) there's a little town every 20-30 minutes. So there's plenty of different things to look at.

bsmith0404
02-20-2016, 04:48 AM
bsmith0404

This is just from memory and I may be wrong but do I recall that you hauled/delivered RVs for manufacturers? That might make a large difference in perspectives.. If my memory is defective (anymore who knows) I apologize.

I did transport RVs, but I preferred the longer driving days before I started that. Maybe that's why I enjoyed transporting. The 11 hours driving per day allowed for truck drivers just seemed natural/comfortable to me (maybe the NHTSA got something right). I can only remember one day where I felt worn out at the end of the 11 hours, but I was in western CO headed to NM and was pushing to make it to Gallup for the night. I did 700 miles that day in the 11 driving hours (max 14 duty hours). The 11 hours was normal, but pushing to maintain at least a 63 mph average wore me out. Doing 600-650 in a day was just a nice relaxing day on the road.

jsmith948
02-20-2016, 05:46 AM
An interesting thread. For us, we plan on 375 to 400 miles per day. Back in the day, when I was an independent owner/operator, I would deliver produce in and around the Seattle area. Twenty hrs from Salinas to Seattle - 28hrs if coming from El Centro/Yuma. The scales weren't all computer linked back then. Many of us ran 2 log books so we could be sleeping in one and driving in the other. Did that for 5 1/2 years before I burned out and landed a driving job with a union company that adhered to the DOT rules.:)

Now, I have no desire to push. When I feel tired, we stop. Spent too many years and miles fighting fatigue.

larry337
02-20-2016, 08:29 AM
..... I can only remember one day where I felt worn out at the end of the 11 hours, but I was in western CO headed to NM and was pushing to make it to Gallup for the night. I did 700 miles that day in the 11 driving hours (max 14 duty hours). The 11 hours was normal, but pushing to maintain at least a 63 mph average wore me out. Doing 600-650 in a day was just a nice relaxing day on the road.

The reason you got wore out is because you WERE pushing yourself. I've been doing this long enough to not let the road or traffic win. I take what is given, I don't stress, I run pretty close to 70 if I can, but I don't worry about it if I can't. I'll get there when I get there and I learned a long time ago the actual travel time doesn't vary by much over the long haul. When you spend every minute of an 11 hour day worrying about time that's what wears you out. I'm not picking on you specifically, people in general just need to chill when on the road. You don't need to win every battle or fight for every position. Learn to relax and share the road, let some one merge in, don't tailgate, don't be afraid to lift off the accelerator for 3 seconds lol. The constant stress of "competition" is what makes people tired at the end of a long trip. I too am a union driver and I run legal in a semi. But on my own time My wife and I routinely knock off 700-1200 miles without an extended break. I'm able to recognize early signs of fatigue because I've been there so many times, so if I need a break, I'm not afraid to pull over. And if I feel good then I just keep going. Stress/traffic/time/the road only win if you let them get to you. You could say the tortoise and the hare thing, but I'm a fast tortoise lol, if that makes any sense. And I'm relatively courteous, I'll let someone over or move over for faster traffic, (sometimes [emoji1] )

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Desert185
02-20-2016, 08:37 AM
When I was younger I used to ride 24 hour motorcycle rallies for charity. This was before Iron Butt. My record was 1333 miles in 21 hours. Eat a fig bar or two when gassing up and go. I also did the Three Flags Classic a couple of years. Leave Mexico on Friday night and end in Canada on Monday morning. Three countries and five or six states.

I believe I am past that stage in my life. :cool:

larry337
02-20-2016, 10:13 AM
In addition to the comments regarding "it depends" from many posters ahead of me...

I'll add one other thing that adds or detracts from the enjoyment....

SCENERY.... Many times driving through western Oklahoma I want to stab myself in the eye after just 4 hours because there is NOTHING to see/look at...

But drive between Oklahoma City and San Antonio (which may take 10 hours depending upon traffic) there's a little town every 20-30 minutes. So there's plenty of different things to look at.

Good point. I'll add that having the right tow vehicle makes a big difference too. Having more truck then you need will make it much more pleasurable to drive. Having too little of a truck will wear you out much faster.

sourdough
02-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Good point. I'll add that having the right tow vehicle makes a big difference too. Having more truck then you need will make it much more pleasurable to drive. Having too little of a truck will wear you out much faster.

larry337 makes probably one of the most significant mentioned.

When the tail wags the dog and your day is spent worrying about the next passing semi, gust of wind etc. you will be dead tired long before you should be. Some folks write it off because they think they are having fun since they are out with the family and going camping with the RV....it's just part of it. It's not. It makes a world of difference to be able to drive down the road with one hand and not be worried, or take your eyes off the road and check out puppy etc. Great point.

gearhead
02-20-2016, 05:11 PM
^^I noticed the difference when I went from a gasser to a diesel. No more downshifting to 3rd to get up a hill screaming at 5,000RPM.

sourdough
02-20-2016, 05:33 PM
After looking at the original post I think the OP is probably OK with his F350:o

BlueThunder34
02-20-2016, 05:40 PM
After looking at the original post I think the OP is probably OK with his F350:o

I sure hope so, other than getting a dully which I don't want I bought a truck I hoped would be way more than needed to take that aspect out of the picture. :D

larry337
02-20-2016, 05:51 PM
Ive actually thought about this from a different perspective.

I know how to use a computer but that doesn't mean I'd want to use one all day long. My knowledge is limited so I'd be outside my comfort zone. That would lead to stress, frustration, and anxiety. I'd be mentally drained. I'd probably be physically tired from sitting in a position I'm not used too, maybe my fingers or eyes would get tired. I can't type worth a crap. Generally speaking, I hate computers. I'm sure after 6-7 hours I'd want to put a bullet in my head lol and there's no way I'd make it even close to 12 hours.

So to the OP I'd guess the answer is somewhere between 6 and 12 hours a day. Which means your trip is a 2 day trip. Me on the other hand might finish the trip in one marathon all nighter,or I might split it up. Just depends on different factors. I usually drive 65-70mph, stop every 3-4 hours for fuel, snacks, whatever and 1 longer stop for a sit down meal, my average speed for the day usually works out to be 10mph less than my cruising speed. So your 800 mile trip would take me roughly 15 hours. But then I also work for a living and my vacation's are usually destination oriented and not exploring trips. If I was retired it would be a totally different agenda.

denverpilot
02-21-2016, 02:59 AM
We are generally long-haulers since we're still working and time limited, but as a for-fun pilot, I have sat countless long hours in the seat and enjoy it. There's always something to be thinking about or checking (I like a lot of instrumentation on my truck, go figure), and if the weather and road are good, there's little fatigue or stress for me. I just like driving.

Now as a pilot the other thing I've learned is that when the weather starts downhill there's times when it just isn't worth being out there. Or it's going to be a slog that is fatiguing and you'd better plan a nice long stop somewhere for some rest.

Additionally I'll play little puzzle games in my head. Calculate how many minutes to the destination for example, to see if I'm still sharp or if the brain is on its own autopilot. If it's going out to lunch, it's past time to get off the road.

Additionally I've learned from the airplane stuff that you're going to have breakdowns and be stuck somewhere while the mechanics fix it. If the schedule can't eat those and survive, plans had best be in place to park the rig and bail out for home or wherever needs the attention and return to get the rig later. Stuff happens.

We have one annual trip that's about 1300 miles. We do it in "about" two days. Never above 65 MPH (tire limits and noise level in the cab if the dually which adds to considerably to fatigue for most people). We have had that trip fly by in two days and we've had it take four with a busted fuel pump in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska. We don't push it. If things go sideways we just slow down. And since DW doesn't like to drive, she feeds me snacks and what not and keeps me entertained with her witty conversation if we aren't listening to something. (Ha!)

It's really all about comfort and fatigue level and also a bit about whether or not you're the type who wants a reservation waiting at a stopping point or not. We make one and try to depart early enough we arrive before sundown. We know we have a loud diesel TV so we try not to pull in after dark in case folks are asleep early.

On the road we usually hook up electricity but we might forego the sewer and just use the tanks or the campground facilities. Depends on mood and whatnot.

A lot of variables in this. And I guess that's my point. I might start off shooting for a two day butt-buster and then take three or four. I also won't hesitate to pull late and snag a few hours of nap at a rest area when and where allowed. Some folks won't do that. DW also doesn't mind. We forego it if we have the dogs with us, they can barely handle the excitement of going camping anyway, rest stops keep them awake and restless and that'll keep me that way also.

As someone else mentioned, the right TV helps. Diesel, big fuel tank, dually... Really removes a lot of fussing around. You just go.

bsmith0404
02-21-2016, 06:00 AM
The reason you got wore out is because you WERE pushing yourself.

Oh I know why it happened, constantly watching the clock, worrying about the log, trying to make up time if I lost some. Trying to beat the clock is stressful, much easier if you can just relax and go, but I had a family emergency going on (which added to the stress) and I needed to get home so I pushed for an extra 50-100 miles over normal that day in the same 11 hour driving time.

gtsum2
02-21-2016, 02:58 PM
I have done numerous 1000-1500 mile trips non stop in a car/truck over the years but with the camper We try and do 300-350 per day but we have small kids and want to get somewhere for the night and let the kids play, etc. have done 480 in a day once but try not to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadglide
02-21-2016, 04:21 PM
Being retired 350 to 400 max. When I travaled in the old class a with my kids dureing the summer and having a month off for work . I would make the 2300 mile trip to michigan in 3 days .

BirchyBoy
02-21-2016, 04:58 PM
I've done short days and long days and to be honest, I don't enjoy the short days at all. I did one trip where I only traveled about 300 miles per day, and took 4 days to go 1260 miles. To be honest, I got tired of setting up and tearing down. Didn't really have that much time to relax and enjoy the area. I've done the same trip in 2 days and spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. Ate at a nearby restaurant and put the slides out so we could sleep (wouldn't have done that if the kids weren't with us). I would much rather drive about 600 miles per day, make overnight stops as easy as possible and relax when I get to my destination. 600 seems to be a comfortable distance for me. I've done 700 mile days, but that seemed to be a bit of a drain.

I'm kind of with you. We're going to Maine this summer, 2200 miles each way. Last time, we did it in 4 days, which was too much. This time, I'd like to do may be 400 miles each day. Part of the problem, though, is finding good stops in the area that I want to start. Especially through the midwest.

old timer
02-22-2016, 04:36 AM
I did a 482 mile trip and that was about as far as i would like to go in one day. The roads here in Ca will and did beat the crap out of me.

Desert185
02-22-2016, 05:16 AM
We often travel two consecutive days then spend the third day parked. It's a nice break, depending on the park and the town.

spittman
02-22-2016, 07:01 AM
We did Maryland to West Yellowstone, Montana last summer. I originally wanted to spend 4 days driving, but our schedule got shortened, so we decided to do it in 3 days rather than losing a day or two in Yellowstone. We drove to just outside of Chicago on day 1. Then to North Dakota on day 2. Finally to West Yellowstone on day 3. Each trip was 700 miles +/- 50 miles or so and took 12-13 hours. We got early starts each day (5 AM or earlier), so we arrived at our campgrounds by 5 or 6 each evening. Time to set up, relax and get some good sleep. I was dreading it a bit beforehand, but in the end, it was fine. We got very lucky with weather and traffic. Had there been any problems, we'd have had to add another day. With stops factored in, we average about 50 miles/hour. We use google maps and "The Next Exit" for planning.