PDA

View Full Version : Champion 2000

zuley
02-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Made up my mind this morning. Wife says, finally I can get back to something constructive rather than 24/7 sitting at the computer researching which one to purchase. Going to stop by our local CTC tomorrow and pick up the Champion 2000. On sale right now for 650 which is half the price of a Honda. Can't justify the extra coin for the Honda for as little as I will use it. Hoping this doesn't turn out to be another one of my cluster **** regrets.

JRTJH
02-15-2016, 09:48 AM
If your experiences with Champion are similar to mine, you'll be satisfied. The FIRST thing to remember is to use "alcohol free" gas if you can find it. If you can't, then always use a "fuel stabilizer" Sta Bil (red) is only good for 30-60 days while Sta Bil (marine gray) is good for 6 months.

NONE of the stabilizers (no matter which brand) will "recombine bad gas" so always add the stabilizer when you fill your container at the gas station.

The next important factor is to read the instructions on how to "empty the carburetor"... On the Champion, you turn off the fuel valve, let the engine run out of fuel, then WAIT for the generator to cool.... ONLY then, close the fuel tank cap valve. If you close the tank cap valve while the engine is hot, it will create a "vapor lock" and you'll have "hell to pay" trying to start the generator next time you use it.

Other than those two "hints" Here's hoping your Champion is as good as mine have been.

zuley
02-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Thank you John.
I'm sure things will work out. As for the fuel suggestion... I have for the past number of years only purchased 91 octane or better fuel because as I have been told premium grade fuels do not contain any alcohol or certainly a lower percentage. It is amazing how much noticably better everything runs ie my lawn mower, garden tractor, generators and my truck. Will never purchase regular grade fuel again.
Cheers,
Dave

mfifield01
02-15-2016, 12:13 PM
It's almost impossible to find ethanol free gas here. I just put stabil in my gas can for my small engines and run them at least once a month.

I have a Champion 2000i. It's been great so far, but I haven't used it much.

dcg9381
02-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Thank you John.
I'm sure things will work out. As for the fuel suggestion... I have for the past number of years only purchased 91 octane or better fuel because as I have been told premium grade fuels do not contain any alcohol or certainly a lower percentage.
Daveww

Dave, I don't know where you live - but around here fuel is mandated to contain ethanol, unless for off-highway use. Ethanol has an effective octane rating of over 100, so it's commonly mixed to bring octane up.

My state also requires disclosure of possible ethanol % at the pump.

IE - don't believe that just because it's "premium" that it has less ethanol in it... http://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/110140/Does-premium-gas-have-ethanol-in-it

You can find "MoGas" - which is what pilots call ethanol free unleaded via this tool. It's premium gas, no ethanol (ethanol is bad for old-airplane fuel systems): http://flyunleaded.com/mapusairports.html

Sometimes Marinas have it.. And I've been known to run AV fuel in my off-road stuff, but either of these options mean paying a substantial premium over unleaded $1-2/gallon more.

nellie1289
02-15-2016, 01:07 PM
They sell clear gas here. the price never changes. it is kind of funny to see "clear" going for $4.69 vs regular unleaded at $1.60. LOL Just put some stabilizer in.

Hey OP, that seems pretty spendy for a Champion 2000 in relation to what a Honda goes for? I mean you can usually see Honda's online for $999 and sometimes even $899?

On edit, this site has it for $899

http://www.maxtool.com/honda-super-quiet-light-weight-inverter-2000w-120v-fuel-efficient-generator-with-parallel-capability-and-oil-alert

JRTJH
02-15-2016, 01:48 PM
They sell clear gas here. the price never changes. it is kind of funny to see "clear" going for $4.69 vs regular unleaded at $1.60. LOL Just put some stabilizer in.

Hey OP, that seems pretty spendy for a Champion 2000 in relation to what a Honda goes for? I mean you can usually see Honda's online for $999 and sometimes even $899?

On edit, this site has it for $899

http://www.maxtool.com/honda-super-quiet-light-weight-inverter-2000w-120v-fuel-efficient-generator-with-parallel-capability-and-oil-alert

nellie1289,

You're looking at pricing for those Honda generators in the US. The OP is in Canada, so "all bets are off" with regard to what he'll have to pay for a comparable product. Actually, the $650 price he quoted for the Champion is listed at $499 in the US. Those $899 (sale price) Honda generators with an MSRP of $999 or $1099 in the US are closer to $1399 MSRP in Canada.

When reading his initial post and seeing his $650 price, I was going to "yell it's cheaper at....." Then I saw his location and it all became clear...

nellie1289
02-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Your right, I totally missed that. Time to go on vacation in Canada!

Voyager
02-15-2016, 04:37 PM
I bought two at CT last fall for$599 each but got the parallel kit from Amazon for $69 US, both started right up after adding oil, I'm very impressed with them, really like the way they stack

zuley
02-15-2016, 04:45 PM
Guelph, Ontario Canada folks. Thanks everybody for the input.
Dave

mfifield01
02-29-2016, 07:54 AM
I used my single Champion 2000 for some boondocking over the weekend. It surprised me on what it could run. I was outside cooking dinner and hear it ramp up. I asked my wife if something was on inside. She had started cooking chicken nuggets in the microwave for the kids. My preference would be to turn things off to run the microwave . At the time it was running the TV, converter, fridge, and microwave. The microwave is 1350 watts alone. All of this was with Eco mode On.

gearhead
02-29-2016, 05:29 PM
Not to derail this thread, but...I've been using Startron treatment in everything. This weekend I did spring maintenance on the bay boat. Oil & filter, and both fuel filters. I poured the gasoline from the spin on fuel filter into a clear plastic jug to see if it had any water that would phase out. Nope. Been using Shell V Power in it with the Startron added overdosed. I know some of that gas in the 50 gallon tank is 4-6 months old.
Your mileage may vary.
generators....argh....I may not even need one this year.

CaptnJohn
02-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Ethanol free gas is readily available. Not only at my marina but at the station 3/4 mile away. Not only for boats but the lawn maintenance companies line up for it. ethanol is the best friend of mechanics, especially small engine and outboard motor mechanics. I never thought it smart to be burning food in gas tanks. Not only less efficient but raises the cost of everything from bread to eggs to meat and all between.

bg71361
03-01-2016, 05:09 AM
Ethanol free gas is readily available.

In some states not all! :(

mfifield01
03-01-2016, 06:54 AM
It's very hard to find in Texas. I looked for it when I had my boat (sold last Spring). I used Sta-bil marine in every tank for the boat.

Mike484
03-01-2016, 07:19 AM
It's very hard to find in Texas. I looked for it when I had my boat (sold last Spring). I used Sta-bil marine in every tank for the boat.

I live in Harris county and here they must add ethanol, but, not only here, all surrounding counties too. I have to go all the way to Lake Charles LA to get ethanol free.

Mike484
03-01-2016, 07:27 AM
BTW, I honestly feel as though the addition of ethanol is all just a scam. The the corn farmers get "grants" to use their crops in the production of ethanol which was a way to conserve oil. Now that there is such an abundance of oil, why are they still pushing the ethanol? It makes your engine run worse and you get less gas milage with ethanol than you do ethanol free, and, if you fuel lines and engine were not made for ethanol, it does damage. Not to mention, you can't leave ethanol gas in an engine that will not be ran for an extended period of time because it will gum everything up. So, more polution, more "gas" used, and its hard on your fuel system; how can this possibly be better for us.

JRTJH
03-01-2016, 08:13 AM
BTW, I honestly feel as though the addition of ethanol is all just a government scam. The government subsidizes the corn farmers to use their crops in the production of ethanol which was a way to conserve oil. Now that there is such an abundance of oil, why are they still pushing the ethanol? It makes your engine run worse and you get less gas milage with ethanol than you do ethanol free, and, if you fuel lines and engine were not made for ethanol, it does damage. Not to mention, you can't leave ethanol gas in an engine that will not be ran for an extended period of time because it will gum everything up. So, more polution, more "gas" used, and its hard on your fuel system; how can this possibly be better for us.

You forgot to mention that it's also more profitable for companies that produce StaBil, SeaFoam and other brands of "fuel additives"..... I wonder just how much the addition of ethanol has cost the average homeowner in repairs to small engines, marine and RV products, not to mention how much "stale gas" we throw away rather than use because it's questionable...

Let's not get onto a "government rant" (that's prohibited by forum rules) but try to keep the discussion on the "cause/effect" and "results" of using ethanol, if comments must be made....

Thanks...

zuley
03-01-2016, 08:22 AM
I could be mistaken here but i"m thinking I was once told in Canada premium fuels, 91 octane and higher do not contain ethynol alcohol. I was having trouble getting my previous little generator to run without the choke on. Talked to a mechanic buddy and it was him that told me about the ethynol in the lower grade fuels. After about 20 minutes of running premium in the gen it smoothed right out and had never ran better. That sold me.

Mike484
03-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Fixed it, wasnt really a rant as much as just how it began.

gearhead
03-01-2016, 05:14 PM
I live in Harris county and here they must add ethanol, but, not only here, all surrounding counties too. I have to go all the way to Lake Charles LA to get ethanol free.
Just arrived....ethanol free gas...at Buc-ees..Lake Jackson. Sure would be nice to get it at more locations.
2coolfishing.com:
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=1823770&highlight=buc-ees

Voyager
03-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Thread totally derailed!! But I use Startron too

Desert185
03-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Since the thread has already morphed...

I have a pickup and quads in another state that I hadn't visited for two years. When I leave them, I fog them and put Stabil in the gas. They started and ran without any issues.

One year, I had sticking valve lifters and it would not develop enough power to get it out of the sloped driveway. Poured a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil in and ran the engine in place at high idle for 20 minutes. The lifters cleared and I got it moving again.

Stabil, fogging oil and a Deltran battery tender are some of my best friends. It's the same Optima Red Top since early 1999. :)

homer3
04-26-2016, 07:07 PM
After finding this blog on Champion Generators, I was hoping to read more on the actual Generator for comparison purposes to Honda. 98% of this blog was on type fuel consumption. I'm more interested in the comparisons right now as well how does one calculate the size of a needed generator based on wattage requirements. Not really sure on how to figure the required wattage or is it just a personal preference on what you want to run. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

JRTJH
04-26-2016, 07:59 PM
One of our members has a "RV Blog" that he and his wife maintain. They fulltime in their RV and maintain the blog to report various aspects of their "RV lifestyle".

They have a "two Champion setup" and just posted a "Five year report" on their experiences with their Champion generators. You can read their thoughts here: http://www.loveyourrv.com/champion-generator-review-5-years-use/

Although I've only had my Champion 2000 watt system for 2 years, I've had the 4000/3500 watt Champion generator for about 5 or 6 years and have had very much the same "excellent service" from my Champions as he has experienced.

If you're looking for generator information on this Keystone website, do a forum search for "generator" and you'll get "hours of reading at your fingertips..... Good Luck !!!!

dcg9381
04-26-2016, 08:56 PM
Not really sure on how to figure the required wattage or is it just a personal preference on what you want to run. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have one AC or two ACs? Start there... ACs are the major watt consumers.

I've got a Champion 3500 that I run to keep hours off the Onan. It's 3500 watts. It'll do one AC and the converter (battery charger), TVs, stereo... but adding the electric water heater and you're over the limit.

Somewhere between 2800-3100 watts is probably the "one AC" setup with some minor accessories.

Bushman512000
04-30-2016, 10:57 PM
I have had a few junkers when I started out camping back in 1997...I just got a Honda 3000 so others would not complain about the loud yes loud noise Honda was a high price but as get what You pay for still runs great and never failed to start I have added a 1000 Honda to the pack great for TV and Battery recharge I have seen a few of the Champions worked on for hours I seen one left on a table in a camp ground the man said want it take it I will have a Honda before I came back camping .I left it where it was just like red ones better lol.. Just hope never to think I bought a Dodge CTD and a 5th wheel but had not any money left for a Honda do wish I had remote start and then I think I would have the world by the tail lol Bushman:D

denverpilot
05-01-2016, 12:56 AM
... do wish I had remote start and then I think I would have the world by the tail lol Bushman:D

Well Bushman, they're out there, and your wish is only a few hundred bucks and about two hours of disassembly, installation, and reassembly away...

http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/view/HEUREMOTEKIT3/

This is by far the most comprehensive remote start setup I've seen for the Honda.

The designer included a temperature sensor, a solenoid to pull the choke automatically when the engine is below normal operating temp, a way to manage the Eco Mode remotely and also automatically disable it for remote start, as per the instructions of Honda, and he tossed in a way to switch one of the 20A plugs (but not the 30A most of us use) remotely also.

The installation video is comprehensive and lasts about an hour if you feel like watching to see if you want to tackle it. Nothing particularly hard about the install but like all things mechanical, there's a few fussy bits.

The kit seems very well thought out.