PDA

View Full Version : Wide Axle Component Upgrade Options

slow
02-11-2016, 08:08 AM
I am looking for insights on what options are available for upgrading our suspension components on a wide axle (approximately 42" if I recall) Passport 23RB.

So far what I have determined is that neither Dexter nor MorRyde offer a "cushioned" equalizer for a spread axle (only available for 33 and 35 inch). Have I missed any options or are there other manufacturers that have such a product for wide axles that is worthy of consideration?

If no "cushioned" equalizer kit is available for a wide axle, it seems another option is to install the MorRyde tandem axle heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit, P/N UO12-016 which would reuse the solid OEM equalizer. Has anyone installed this kit and if so, are you happy with the outcome or were there any issues that needed to be addressed?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

TomHaycraft
02-12-2016, 04:00 AM
I faced same limitation with my Springdale. Nothing for the cushioned equalizer, so I did what I could and added the wet-bolt kit.

slow
02-12-2016, 06:10 AM
Thanks Tom.
I will go the same route if no one has any other recommendations within the next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcg9381
02-12-2016, 06:58 AM
I have a larger camper, but ordered the MorRyde tandem axle heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit (different part number). Largely because I've seen the what the OEM bushings look like after 12 months of travel. I don't think you can go wrong with that kit.

I've read two recommendations on it (haven't installed it yet):
1) Re-position the the grease zerks
2) File (very lightly) a line on the bolt from the grease hole output all the way down the non-threaded part of the bolt. This helps the grease spread.

slow
02-12-2016, 08:42 AM
I have a larger camper, but ordered the MorRyde tandem axle heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit (different part number). Largely because I've seen the what the OEM bushings look like after 12 months of travel. I don't think you can go wrong with that kit.

I've read two recommendations on it (haven't installed it yet):
1) Re-position the the grease zerks
2) File (very lightly) a line on the bolt from the grease hole output all the way down the non-threaded part of the bolt. This helps the grease spread.

Both seem logical. What is the part number for the kit you bought?

Please let me know what you learn when you do the install. I have to wait for the snow to go away.

dcg9381
02-12-2016, 08:59 AM
I'd verify part number per application - had to be special ordered:
UO12-031

Ran about $110.

slow
02-12-2016, 10:24 AM
I'd verify part number per application - had to be special ordered:
UO12-031

Ran about $110.

Looks like you have the Correct Track hangers and 3 1/8 shackles which explains the P/N difference. Thanks for the info.

slow
02-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Darn, I went looking for my sketch to confirm that my shackles are 2 1/4 inches hole to hole, but I miss placed the sketch with my measurements.

My TT is in storage, so if anyone has a passport at home, I would appreciate getting the measurement from you.

SUnderwood
02-18-2016, 06:31 PM
I have a bullet 207 rbs with the wide track wheel spacing, I have measured the equalizer and if I use 3- 1/8 shackles ,it appears that the dexter ez flex equalizer for 35 inch axle spacing will work

slow
02-18-2016, 07:06 PM
I have a bullet 207 rbs with the wide track wheel spacing, I have measured the equalizer and if I use 3- 1/8 shackles ,it appears that the dexter ez flex equalizer for 35 inch axle spacing will work

Please elaborate because I do not follow how two shackles that are 1 inch longer each can make up a 7 inch difference (42-35) in axle spacing.

SUnderwood
02-18-2016, 09:28 PM
my equalizer is 10 inches center to center and is flat , the dexter Equalizer Assembly (013-144-03) is 7 3/4 inches center to center for a difference of 2 1/4 inches , divide that by 1/2 and you have a difference of 1-1/8 inches short on each side , the dexter equalizer has a 3 inch drop, to make up for the drop I need longer shackles , which when following the same angle the short shackles are. the longer ones will intersect the dexter equalizer

slow
02-19-2016, 03:54 AM
my equalizer is 10 inches center to center and is flat , the dexter Equalizer Assembly (013-144-03) is 7 3/4 inches center to center for a difference of 2 1/4 inches , divide that by 1/2 and you have a difference of 1-1/8 inches short on each side , the dexter equalizer has a 3 inch drop, to make up for the drop I need longer shackles , which when following the same angle the short shackles are. the longer ones will intersect the dexter equalizer

I need to check, but I believe my equalizer is somewhere around 13 inches center to center and if so, that is why it would not work for me.

SUnderwood
02-19-2016, 07:25 AM
if I happen to pass by the local dealer , I will measure it

SUnderwood
02-20-2016, 10:49 PM
your equalizer is about 14 1/4 inches long. look at this and see if you think it will fit
LIPPERT Equa-Flex® Spread Equalizer Bar for 5.2k Axles (Pair) #314336
they are about 14 5/8 hole spacing

slow
02-21-2016, 06:20 AM
your equalizer is about 14 1/4 inches long. look at this and see if you think it will fit

Thanks SUnderwood, I will check into it.

slow
02-23-2016, 10:42 AM

I have done some research on the Equa-flex 314336 and determined the following so far:

* I have not found any reviews of the product

* It is a relatively new product and two versions are available per Lippert. The early version is galvanized, whereas the newer version is yellow powder coated. No other changes were identified by Lippert.

http://www.easternmarine.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5bfa95ea1af0d40a27aa17fa3cebce05/5/4/5439025_xl.jpg

https://www.etrailer.com/static/images/pics/L/C/LC257486_8_500.jpg

* etrailer has the newer powder coat version but they are reviewing their pricing at my request since it is twice the cost of the galvanized version at eastern marine.

* Lippert and etrailer both confirmed that it is for the 42 inch wide axles but will require a hanger modification to maintain the same ride height. I have yet to determine the exact amount, but it looks like the equalizer mounting hole would need to be drilled higher up on the hanger. Will this change the suspension travel and performance or create any interference issues?

* it comes with nylon bushings in the galvanized version that are replaceable with bronze

dcg9381
02-23-2016, 11:18 AM
I have the powdercoated version from the factory. It came with bronze bushings. (FYI)

slow
02-23-2016, 11:31 AM
dcg, thanks for that.

Would you be able to post a picture?

dcg9381
02-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Of the mount or the bushings in the mount?

SUnderwood
02-23-2016, 01:41 PM
if what you describe about drilling the center hanger hole higher up to maintain the height , if you use the original hole it will raise the trailer slightly

slow
02-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Of the mount or the bushings in the mount?

The equalizer please.

slow
02-23-2016, 01:53 PM
if what you describe about drilling the center hanger hole higher up to maintain the height , if you use the original hole it will raise the trailer slightly

I need to take a few measurements and lay it out to estimate if it is worth raising the equalizer mount hole and if not doing so results in a negligible rise of the trailer (less than~.75").

Thanks for everyone's input.

dcg9381
02-23-2016, 02:37 PM
The equalizer please.

http://i.imgur.com/RpZfQqa.jpg

slow
02-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks.

It confirms that under load of the stationary trailer, the rubber collapses and the vertical distance from the mount hole to the "lever" holes reduces from the specified vertical dimension in the free state.

slow
02-24-2016, 03:56 AM
An update on the 314336 Lippert Equa-Flex Spread Equalizer Bar for 5.2K Axles (42 inch wide axle spacing):

etrailer corrected their pricing to $190 for the pair: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Suspension/Lippert-Components/LC257486-2.html

BUT: it turns out that there are three versions out in the market at this time:
* galv body with never fail bushings - eastern marine
* yellow powder coat with never fail bushings - etrailer current stock
* yellow powder coat with brass bushings (latest version) - future stock

Chillaxin' III
07-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Okay, I'm lost...what do these do again?

slow
07-21-2016, 05:57 PM

They claim that the shock from rough roads is reduced. I will find out this weekend as we depart on a 2,000 mile round trip to the Canadian Rockies (Banff National Park).

They took 3 hours to install including hooking up, getting tools out, lifting TT one side at a time and then packing them away when done. Did not remove wheels so that saved time. Only issue is that I had to ream the ID of one of the top bushings so the wet bolt would fit.

Also found that the flanged lock nuts on the wet bolts are not reusable. Replaced those I had to remove with new.

TT gained 1/2 inch if height.

slow
07-21-2016, 05:58 PM

They claim that the shock from rough roads is reduced.

https://youtu.be/TynFO1P7l6E

I will find out this weekend as we depart on a 2,000 mile round trip to the Canadian Rockies (Banff National Park).

rhagfo
07-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Did you think about putting shocks on your trailer???

slow
07-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Yes!
That is the next step since the cushioned equalizer lifts the TT and I was not sure by how much, I did not want to install the shocks and have to reposition them.

We just made our first 250 miles on the cushioned equalizer. Do not feel as much harshness going over rail road tracks, bridge joints and concrete joints. Incremental improvement and only part of the upgrade to make it ride right. Shocks are on order.

BTW: DW felt the cushioned equalizer improved the ride and she gave the green light to order shocks.

slow
08-15-2016, 07:27 AM
.................. Shocks are on order.

I received the Lippert 281281 shock kits from Camping World about a week ago.

A few observations for those contemplating installing the Lippert shock kits:
* the kit components are in rough shape due to poor workmanship (weld spatter, deformed due to welding, mis-positioned component on the upper bracket weldment)and packaging
* shocks have a 2012 date on them and seem to have different rebound rates
* the kits are set up for an I-beam frame (I have a "Z" shaped frame from BAL)
* the instructions indicate that 2 1/2" clearance is required between the I-beam flange and the inside of the tire. With a 2 inch diameter shock that would only provide 1/4" clearance between the frame and shock / shock and tire. That would explain some posts where the shock has contacted the tire on owner's installs. The criteria in the instructions are most certainly wrong so be aware. IMO, at least 4 inches of clearance is required between the frame and tire for the kit to have a chance of working. Even with 4 inches of clearance and an I-beam frame, a spacer would be required under the upper shock mount plate.
* None of the brackets provided will work on my TT even though I have 4" of clearance between the frame and the inside of the tire.
* I am still checking to see if I can make it work if I were to make my own brackets. My preliminary layout looks promising with the potential of achieving a 52 1/2 degree shock angle vs the 45 degree minimum required. I had hoped for 60 degrees, but that will not be possible.

BTW:
* Lippert customer service was oblivious to the clearance criteria in their instructions and would not accept that there is a problem with the criteria as supported by simple math.
* If considering the kit, be very cautious. It should be viewed as a high fabrication skill set type of DIY project. Or another way to look at it, if you have the skills to do this project, the kit may not be of much value.

My current plan is to keep the shock kits and install them (if it is possible) at the end of our camping season in about a month, since it is cost prohibitive to return them from Canada.

Laredo291OH
08-15-2016, 08:07 AM
Hi slow,

I installed 2 sets of these https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Axle-K71-175-01-Trailer-Shock/dp/B003VAX7C4 on my Laredo291TG. This is not a plug and play type of install. My shocks are mounted on the inside of the frame, there wasn't enough clearance between the frame and the tire for mounting. I did not use the new plates, I made brackets that bolted on under the plate. I will have to say, I'm not so sure it was worth all of the work for the small gain that I got from the shocks. I can't say that I noticed a whole lot of difference.

slow
08-15-2016, 09:20 AM
It is disappointing to hear that you did not witness much benefit. I may have to rethink the effort I thought I was going to put into this project.