PDA

View Full Version : Camper Cover Problem

silverbullet18
02-08-2016, 01:29 PM
We had a cover that we bought for our old camper but it had a ladder on it. I understand now that if the camper doesnt come with a ladder you are not supposed to walk on the roof. Anybody got an idea on how to cover a 30 ft trailer without getting on the roof.

Mike484
02-08-2016, 01:37 PM
I understand now that if the camper doesnt come with a ladder you are not supposed to walk on the roof.

Is this really the case? I was told you could still walk on it, just have to be careful.

I have a passport that came without a ladder (we were told it was because of the back window, but I think the salesman was just a BSer), been thinking about getting on installed.

ImTravis
02-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Best way my wife and I did was a ladder on one side, pickup on other, and just worked our way down. Used an RV wash broom as a "helper for the hard to reach places. 1 hour and lots of swearing later we had it installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tbos
02-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Is this really the case? I was told you could still walk on it, just have to be careful.

I have a passport that came without a ladder (we were told it was because of the back window, but I think the salesman was just a BSer), been thinking about getting on installed.

I have a Passport too. I would not put a ladder on it. If I need to go on the roof I use a separate ladder and have boards that span the rafters to help spread the weight.

TonyCO
02-08-2016, 04:28 PM
My Laredo does not have a ladder and I have been up on the roof a few times. I washed it twice and installed the cover by myself. I used an extension ladder and started dead in the middle with the cover. I hope that was ok. The roof seemed to support me well enough. I didn't even consider no ladder would equal don't walk on it.

14george
02-08-2016, 05:52 PM
I got a Laredo 240 MK x 2 as TonyCo

bmach
02-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Here is how I do it and never get on the roof.

Lay the cover on the ground, take the sides of the cover and put them on top of the roof portion of the cover. Then fold it in half and roll it up either front to back or back to front. Place your ladder at either the front or back depending on how you rolled it up. Put the cover on the roof and unroll it, take the straps for the other side and toss the there. Move the ladder to the other side grab the straps and pull the side towards you. You can now drop that side down then go back and do the other side. You are now done with your ladder. I have a 26' trailer and this part only takes me 15 min by my self. Two people and two ladders would be quicker. It might sound harder than it really is.

GaryWT
02-12-2016, 07:23 PM
I had never heard that if you don't have a ladder you are not to go on the roof. I alway thought I could go on mine but I don't have a ladder. I would not go up regardless. As for a cover, I don't use one but would guess that one or two on each side on ladders could get it done somewhat easy.

Cnc_hemi
02-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Ladders are options on most units. Dealers order them with and without. Also some because of windows it's very hard do mount one. But walking around on any of them should be done with caution.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L