PDA

View Full Version : Maxxis for truck

pakuma
01-25-2016, 11:48 AM
I am getting ready to replace my second set of Wrangler ATs on my 2011 Ram 1500 which I use to tow my Cougar 5th wheel. I put Maxxis tires on the trailer what are your thought on using them on the truck? The Bravo HT-770 looks like it would work well.
Thanks

JRTJH
01-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Maxxis LT tires appear to have a pretty good reputation, a reasonable warranty and a "not to bad" price. My only concern would be finding a replacement or finding warranty service when away from the local area. I haven't seen very many tire dealers who carry Maxxis, so if you develop trouble "on the road" the question would be: Can I get service in the next town? With the major manufacturers, Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich and Michelin, it seems there's a dealer nearly everywhere there's enough population for a street light, not so with Maxxis dealerships.

byrdr1
01-26-2016, 07:15 AM
I am getting ready to replace my second set of Wrangler ATs on my 2011 Ram 1500 which I use to tow my Cougar 5th wheel. I put Maxxis tires on the trailer what are your thought on using them on the truck? The Bravo HT-770 looks like it would work well.
Thanks
I would make sure I got the LT version as it is 10ply.
and a higher weight rating.
bravo-series-ht-770 (http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-152-bravo-series-ht-770)
JMHO,
randy

bsmith0404
01-27-2016, 05:29 AM
Looks like a good tire with good reviews. Also looks like they are available at Pep Boys and can be purchased from Amazon. My concern would be getting a replacement on the road with the size you need in stock. You could always buy 5 of them and put one on the spare. That way if you couldn't get a new tire while traveling, you could always buy a different brand and just transfer the Maxxis from the spare

Bob Landry
01-27-2016, 07:49 AM
I would make sure I got the LT version as it is 10ply.
and a higher weight rating.
bravo-series-ht-770 (http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-152-bravo-series-ht-770)
JMHO,
randy

The Maxxis 10 ply tire is not a LT tire. it is a trailer tire with heavier sidewalls and a higher load rating and any tire dealer will tell you that. Any tire with the ST designator is a trailer tire regardless of construction. I don't understand why anyone would even consider using a tire for any purpose other than the intended design purpose. It would be the same as the idea of wiring a 30A shore power service with #14 wire because it was cheaper.

JRTJH
01-27-2016, 08:42 AM
The Maxxis 10 ply tire is not a LT tire. it is a trailer tire with heavier sidewalls and a higher load rating and any tire dealer will tell you that. Any tire with the ST designator is a trailer tire regardless of construction. I don't understand why anyone would even consider using a tire for any purpose other than the intended design purpose. It would be the same as the idea of wiring a 30A shore power service with #14 wire because it was cheaper.

Maxxis manufacturers tires for many applications. The company has an "auto/LT" tire, "ST" tire, as well as motorcycle, bicycle, and ATV tires. They also manufacture tractor tires for the agriculture and industrial market.

Maxxis "auto/LT" tires can be found here: http://www.maxxis.com/tires/autolt

The "Bravo" series tires are not ST tires (but there is a 10 ply available) and they do not have any of the "ST restrictions." They are not intended for trailer use. They are "rated" for auto/light truck use" just like any other "car tire" or "truck tire". I think you might be confusing Maxxis ST tires with Maxxis Bravo LT tires.

pakuma
02-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Thank you all. The biggestconcern was tire replacement on the road, but I am going to put it aside and get the Maxxis'.

JRTJH
02-03-2016, 09:00 PM
Since none of us (or at least nobody that will admit it) has any experience with Maxxis LT tires, please keep us posted on how they perform, longevity, ride, noise and hopefully you won't have problems, but if you do, how their availability and warranty service stacks up. :)

pakuma
03-02-2016, 05:20 PM
I have bought them. They are quiet, ride well. I just towed to Tucson and they rode better than the Wrangler SAs I took off. So far so good.:):)

Desert185
03-03-2016, 10:08 PM
Some versions of Maxxis LT tires have lower load ratings than other brands. As much as I like Maxxis tires for trailers and ATV/UTV's, I would ensure that the load rating (in pounds) is sufficient for the application.

pakuma
09-15-2016, 11:41 AM
Update,
I now have over 5,000 miles on the Maxxis tires on my 2011 Ram 1500, I haved pulled my 5er several times. The wear is very minimal, not measurable.
I have found the ride a little harsher than the Wranglers that came on the truck, and they are very quiet on the road.