PDA

View Full Version : Furnace filter

nesparky
01-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Do our furnaces have a filter and if so where might it be? Has anybody added a filter to there's and does it help keep down the dust in your trailer? Full timing in Illinois with a 2014 Avalanche 330re.

Ken / Claudia
01-24-2016, 10:00 AM
I have never yet seen or read or been informed about any with filters but, will admit there may be. Remember the A/Cs have them and clean them, I do it while doing all the other spring time ready to go camping stuff.

cathcartww
01-24-2016, 03:53 PM
I installed one on out Outback 277RL. I was fortunate that it came with a big louver right on the inlet side of the furnace. A 12x24x1 3M pleated filter fit perfectly with the installation of a piece of scrap lumber for it to rest on, and a bungee cord to secure it in place. I did the calculation, and I still have more than enough square inches of inlet area (as required by the Operation and Installation manual). It catches quite a bit of stuff - we have dogs - I change it yearly, which is enough based on how little we actually use the furnace.

old timer
01-25-2016, 06:34 AM
I installed one on out Outback 277RL. I was fortunate that it came with a big louver right on the inlet side of the furnace. A 12x24x1 3M pleated filter fit perfectly with the installation of a piece of scrap lumber for it to rest on, and a bungee cord to secure it in place. I did the calculation, and I still have more than enough square inches of inlet area (as required by the Operation and Installation manual). It catches quite a bit of stuff - we have dogs - I change it yearly, which is enough based on how little we actually use the furnace.

They make a filter grill that you install in the hole then the front lifts up and install the filter in the grill. I have one for mine but i have it to get access to my water heater bypass valve.It eas about $60. I got it from Lowes online.

chuckster57
01-25-2016, 08:05 AM
If you check the owners manuals for Atwood and Suburban, both recommend NOT using a filter in the air return. I would think it's due to air flow restriction. The fan isn't very big and the motor driving it is only 12V. Couple that with the fact that there is a "sail" switch that depends on air flow to allow the gas valve to open and you may want to rethink.

We have furry friends that camp with us, and a small vacuum, broom and dustpan keep things clean.