PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep vents open while in storage?

BlueThunder34
01-23-2016, 06:31 AM
We have maxxair vent covers on the top of or trailer and I have had some say it's best to leave your vents open a bit when in storage to keep good air flow. I usually keep everything shut as tight as I can with a few dri z airs in the trailer. Is there a benefit to opening the overhead vents or does that just open up a potential problem? Seems risky to leave vents open even with the maxxair covers.

Lee
01-23-2016, 06:53 AM
Good Morning,

I live on the Wet side of Washington and in the past kept the TT covered and closed up due to the 100% humidity this time of year.

I now park the TT under covered parking with power. I keep it closed up and also have a small dehumidifier running a few hours a day on a timer.

Take care,

hankpage
01-23-2016, 07:07 AM
I have been leaving my vents slightly open for over twenty years. The only time I close them is while traveling. We have never had any condensation or oder problems. The only thing that seems to be able to get through the vents is some very fine pollen and an occasional snow flake. If I were getting a new trailer, I would continue with open vents. JM2¢, Hank

chuckster57
01-23-2016, 07:11 AM
I have been leaving my vents slightly open for over twenty years. The only time I close them is while traveling. We have never had any condensation or oder problems. The only thing that seems to be able to get through the vents is some very fine pollen and an occasional snow flake. If I were getting a new trailer, I would continue with open vents. JM2¢, Hank

That makes two of us. I don't have vent covers, and haven't seen any unwanted objects or critters in my trailer.

Javi
01-23-2016, 07:22 AM
Yep, I leave mine open to one extent or another 24-7/365 even towing since I have the MaxxAir covers

JRTJH
01-23-2016, 09:26 AM
I keep mine closed, not because of humidity, but the very fine dust that's in this area. If they are open, even half an inch, we tend to get more dust inside. So, we accept the "stuffiness" to keep out the dirt.

Keep in mind that if you're in an area with snow that tends to stay from "first snowfall through melt", as soon as your trailer vents are covered with snow, they are "effectively closed" by the snow that seals the roof. Also, water, in the form of humidity, acts like a sponge. If you're in a "high humidity area" and are running dehumidifiers in your trailer, leaving a vent open just allows for "replacement humidity" to enter, defeating the purpose of attempting to "dehumidify" the inside air.

I don't think there's a "right or wrong" answer, for some people leaving them open works to meet their objectives, for others, not so much. Try both ways, see if you notice any difference and go with what "works to keep you satisfied".....

BlueThunder34
01-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a try and see what happens

Ken / Claudia
01-23-2016, 12:08 PM
For some years I had 2 trailers parked on property on Long beach Wa. a 40 ft and 28 ft. You may know the type of heavy rain and high winds there. Dry airs could not kept up. I ended with 2 in each trailer and vents closed. I got vent covers on both. Left them fully open that summer and never had signs of water getting inside and no more smell or green stuff growing inside. Than kept them open all that winter, I was sold. Got them on the 2 RVs since than. This current rv had 4 inchs of snow on the roof. I should have closed them but, forgot. I never had any water inside as it melted. I have used the cheap camco? covers. They likely will need replaced at some point from sun damage.

swanson
01-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Last year when TT was parked in driveway I kept the vents closed. The heat buildup was so much of an overload in the trailer. I'm thinking next year a FanTastic fan and cover replacement in the bathroom.
That way I can leave the vent open and the fan can run itself on temp and it could also shut its cover if it rains.

therink
01-25-2016, 04:31 PM
I have ventccovers on all 4 of mine and the vents are at least cracked open all the time. This seems to work well for me in NE where lots of snow. Never have mold or odor issues and nothing but air comes in through the vents.

cw3jason
01-26-2016, 06:54 AM
I have max air covers installed and vents open all the time.

byrdr1
01-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Yep, I leave mine open to one extent or another 24-7/365 even towing since I have the MaxxAir covers
Same as Javi..
I keep them cracked maybe 1/2 inch.. BUT mine is also under a metal RvPort.
BUT I kept them cracked when it wasn't and I did the 2 other TTs.
But not the Popup..
randy

BlueThunder34
01-26-2016, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone, seems like it is completely safe to keep them open for proper venting

HANGAR
01-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Same here, Maxxair covers with vents always open. The only time I close the vents is when we're camping in cold weather.

BlueThunder34
01-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Would leaving these open replace the need for the Dri-Z-Airs?

mfifield01
04-04-2016, 12:14 PM
I have the Maxair II vent covers on mine and noticed some moisture coming in while camping last weekend. It was really coming down and hailing some, but a little bit of rain came in. Anyone see any problems with a little bit of rain coming in?

I have my bathroom vent cracked about 1" in storage, but closed the kitchen vent from this concern.

chuckster57
04-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Depends on where the rain water is hitting. If it drips onto a counter that's made to take moisture your probably okay. If it's getting cabinets or walls wet then you need to keep the vent closed.

mfifield01
04-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Depends on where the rain water is hitting. If it drips onto a counter that's made to take moisture your probably okay. If it's getting cabinets or walls wet then you need to keep the vent closed. That's the main reason that I left the bathroom slightly cracked instead of the kitchen. Most of the areas could get some moisture without a problem.

the sodfather
04-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Great info. I was pondering this myself. Gotta go, got to run to the RV storage and slightly open my vents!

CaptnJohn
04-04-2016, 03:07 PM
I have the MaxxAir covers but keep all closed as the darn pollen seems to get everywhere this time of year.

Pmedic4
04-04-2016, 04:27 PM
I keep mine closed, not because of humidity, but the very fine dust that's in this area. If they are open, even half an inch, we tend to get more dust inside. So, we accept the "stuffiness" to keep out the dirt.

Since we live in Illinois, as JRTJH says, we shut ours to keep out dirt. Starting about now, for the next 2 months, the amount of dust in the air here is very high. It might slow down during the summer, maybe not depending upon the rain, but starting in September, if you think spring is bad, harvest is even worse. Don't forget the pollen either, and I have allergies, so we keep them shut most of the time. Winter still has the dust blowing around.

281bullet
04-04-2016, 06:33 PM
I have max air covers on 3 of mine and my fantastic fan vent cover in the bathroom stay open 365 days a year. Helps with heat, cold, and moisture. I have never had any issues or leaking.

denverpilot
04-05-2016, 01:19 AM
We have blowing snow in winter and it sometimes blows from the back of the trailer. Nope. Nothing open. Open it up for a day or two before the first trip of the season and that works just fine. But we're also a VERY dry climate when it's not precipitating, so I can't speak for humidity problems. We imply don't have them here.