PDA

View Full Version : changing tire on wide axle design trailer

dnhxx
01-21-2016, 06:54 AM
Hi, I've looked through many of the threads but don't really see an answer to my question. We just purchased a Premier 19FBPR, I am wondering if any of the drive on ramps like the Anderson Rapid Jack or the Camco Trailer Aid plus will raise the wheel enough to change a tire for the trailers with the spread axle design?

It seems like a much better idea than using a hydraulic jack.

thanks

don

Mike484
01-21-2016, 07:48 AM
I sure hope so, I have a Passport 2890 and just ordered the Camco Trailer Aid. Once I get it, I will try it it and let everyone know.

chuckster57
01-21-2016, 07:51 AM
We don't have either in stock or I would try it and report back. I'm curious too.

cw3jason
01-21-2016, 08:04 AM
You will need the trailer aid plus for it to work on wide stance axles or you can go the cheaper route and use the gorilla truck ramps from your local auto parts store. I had a set and they worked on the wide stance axles on my previous trailer.

slow
01-21-2016, 11:10 AM
I have the Anderson Rapid Jack and have used it to adjust my brakes on my 23RB with wide axles. But to do so, I have to add a cedar 5/4 (about 1 inch thick) deck board under the rapid jack to lift the inflated tire off the ground. This is on a flat concrete pad, not soft ground that may require even more additional height.

I suspect the trailer aid plus would probably also need the extra height and the non-plus even more so.

dblanch57
01-22-2016, 09:23 AM
I cut a 8ft - 2x10 into four pieces with a slant on each end for boards to drive wheels onto to help level at camp site and when at home parked in the yard. They fit perfectly in-between the wheels and I can also use one of them for my trailer aid plus for changing tires or maintenance.

notanlines
01-22-2016, 10:30 AM
This subject comes up pretty often. Blanch has the right idea. All the fancy ramp ideas online will still need a 2x8 or so to get it high enough to actually get the new tire/rim mounted. If you just try this on your nice, level drive at home then you will be left out in the cold along the highway, sitting in the grass and gravel.

Tbos
01-22-2016, 01:49 PM
In addition to two sets of the Lego style leveling blocks and some 2x8s I carry a small floor jack that I can use too. One way or another I should have it covered. At least I hope so. [emoji2]

gearhead
01-22-2016, 05:34 PM
In addition to two sets of the Lego style leveling blocks and some 2x8s I carry a small floor jack that I can use too. One way or another I should have it covered. At least I hope so. [emoji2]
Yep one way or another for me too. 'cept I carry TWO of the highest quality WalMart Black Max? 6 ton hydraulic jacks, the Trailer Aid Plus, and enough "2 by" wood to crib up all the wheels. lol

lspajm
01-23-2016, 03:30 PM
I have the spread axles and none of those will work. You need a jack to put between them and raise the axle you need to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charby
01-27-2016, 09:33 AM
We have the CAA RV coverage for $25, that lets them figure it out :p

dnhxx
02-18-2016, 10:05 AM
I did a simple experiment, I bought a 2x10 for $5 and made a ramp. Bottom piece was 24" and then I added 3 more pieces each 4" shorter. I used a couple of carriage bolts to hold it all together. Total height was 6".

I put the ramp under the front tire and drove up the ramp. The rear wheel was about 2" off the ground. I should have tried lifting the front wheel also.

So for our trailer (19') I would feel pretty confident the trailer add plus or raped jack will work, but I would still carry the 24" board in case the ground is not so level.

I just need to convince my wife that hauling the 25 lb ramp along is too much. I am leaning towards the rapid jack since it has other uses, although driving off the end may not be too much fun.

cw3jason
02-18-2016, 12:41 PM
I found the truck ramps you can get at the local auto parts store (gorilla Ramps) for changing your oil and such work great on the wide stance axles. plenty of lift. light weight and a lot cheaper than the trailer aid plus.

tommy_z
02-20-2016, 07:30 AM
For those who say a jack is better, do you use a small floor jack or bottle jack? I'd like to carry a bottle jack because of the compact size, but worry the small pads on them are a risk on round axles.

Mutt
02-29-2016, 06:04 PM
I've always used a cheap Walmart hydraulic bottle jack. I keep 8 or ten pieces of 2x6 in my storage area to help with leveling and place under the scissor jacks. Anyway, stack a couple pieces of 2x6 to raise the bottle jack to desired height and place in the center between the two wheels. It will lift both tires off the ground.

If the bottle jack alone makes you nervous ...... bring a small jack stand to support it after you jack it high enough.

audio1der
03-12-2016, 06:33 PM
For those who say a jack is better, do you use a small floor jack or bottle jack? I'd like to carry a bottle jack because of the compact size, but worry the small pads on them are a risk on round axles.

I measured the distance from the bottom of the axle to the ground, and subtracted the space by the height of a tire sidewall. Bought a bottle jack (12 ton) just tall enough to fit. Tested it by removing all 4 wheels at our gravel storage spot using exactly what I carry when we travel, when I replaced our tires. I jack on the bottom of the u-bolt perch.