PDA

View Full Version : Use your Smartphone to backup

Fwpart
01-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Hey Everyone,

This isn't a Mod necessarily but just an idea I tried and it worked real well. This would be best for those who trucks may not have a backup camera. I bought a GoPro Hero 4 with Wifi for our vacation this year . The camera has a WiFi setting to use with your smart phone. I placed mounts on the tongue and also on rear bumper. Enable Wifi and tune in with my smartphone, now I can match my hitch ball perfectly as I have it angled down to show when my ball is right over the hitch. Also, I can mount it to my rear trailer bumper and I have a solid backup camera for my travel trailer.

Just passing along an idea

Fletcher

slow
01-16-2016, 06:11 PM
I was not as lucky. My Hero 2 has too much lag time to be useful for hitching up. I used a Swift camera with our previous truck. Our current truck has a rearview camera with a small display on the rearview mirror. Turns out that it is not as good as the Swift camera.

Fwpart
01-17-2016, 06:21 AM
I hear ya and yes, that could be an issue. lag time on my Hero 4 hasn't been an issue. Maybe 1 second, at most. Then again, I'm going so slow, it doesn't matter to me cause I'm never in a rush and anytime I get even the slight bit close, I stop to check.

maverick_415
01-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Does it connect with your phone via wifi or Bluetooth? If wifi you would need to hope there is a network to connect to whenever you back up somewhere.

1995Suburban
01-18-2016, 05:19 PM
The gopro camera provides its own wifi network for the phone to connect to, anywhere.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

rjsurfer
01-19-2016, 05:02 AM
The gopro camera provides its own wifi network for the phone to connect to, anywhere.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

+1

No network connection needed.

Ron W.

campertime
02-01-2016, 08:42 AM
Love it.... thanks for sharing.

Never even thought about using my gopro :banghead:

mfifield01
02-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Anyone tried this on the back of their trailer? I've got a backup camera built in to my truck, but it would cool to have something behind the trailer. The range might not make it.

ErraticAKn
03-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Same thing here. I use a GoPro with the built in WiFi and a Smartphone. The lag isn't too bad as long as you are not in a hurry.

I have not tried it from the back of the trailer for backing though.

JARRSHEL
03-28-2016, 06:21 PM
I have tried to use my Gopro3 on our Raptor 3612 with an I-pad , but the distance is too far.

flybouy
03-29-2016, 02:55 AM
I hardwired a camera with microphone on the back of our trailer so I can hear the the DW yell STOP! 35 ' of camper behind long bead truck & diesel clatter = difficult hearing. :banghead: I find the permanent install very helpful on the road in changing lanes. Amazing how many people will accelerate to try to "beat you out" before moving over to an off ramp or merge lane.

Sevins
04-01-2016, 10:33 AM
I hardwired a camera with microphone on the back of our trailer so I can hear the the DW yell STOP! 35 ' of camper behind long bead truck & diesel clatter = difficult hearing. :banghead: I find the permanent install very helpful on the road in changing lanes. Amazing how many people will accelerate to try to "beat you out" before moving over to an off ramp or merge lane.

What camera and screen did you use? I would love to do something like this.