PDA

View Full Version : Misc. Improvements to Montana

cardinal96ss
01-15-2016, 05:00 PM
We purchased our low mileage/well cared for 2006 36ft Montana 5-er used a few years ago, but personal issues constantly kept us off the road. Last summer we decided things would be different, planned a three week trip covering about 2800 miles, and made some improvements before we left. Since folks on this site helped us make decisions throughout this upgrade process, I think it only fair to report back on the changes made with pictures where needed. Sorry in advance for the long post.
We installed a 3600 KW Generac propane fueled generator in the front storage compartment, which barely fit thru the opening. I cut out the “floor” of the compartment for cooling air purposes, & covered the hole with 1/4 inch hole hardware cloth. Additional framing (constructed of 4 inch “c-section” steel bolted to the trailer frame) enabling sliding the generator straight in and bolt it in place. The generator’s weight and cramped space made things interesting.
I installed a manual transfer switch in the basement and then a Progressive Industries HW50C hardwired electrical management system hidden in the area behind and below the circuit breaker panel. Its remote readout is just inside the entrance door so enabling it to be read from outside.
We removed the older TVs in the LR entertainment center and the BR and installed 32 in. flat screens instead on full motion swivel articulating wall mounts which permits the larger screen to be aimed and also completely cover the gaping holes the old TVs left in the cabinets by appearing to be face mounted. We purchased a Dish network receiver and a Panlong Premium HDMI 1in-4 out Splitter placing them in the entertainment center TV (behind the TV) enabling the Dish signal to be also HDMI routed to BR, and basement for outside viewing when we want to move a screen there. We roof-mounted a King Tailgater antenna routing the coax cable down next to the sewer stack pipe which is located in a space behind the entertainment center. We left the OTA roof antenna coax in place distributing that signal when desired. We also use a $30 digital signal flat antenna when that is desired or we are parked under trees.
We purchased a used Haier washer/dryer combo and installed it in the provided space in the bedroom.
Since the tires needed to be replaced, we upgraded to 17.5 inch, 120psi wheels and tires providing increased weight and speed margins.
On the 2013 3500 Silverado we mounted a B&W Turnover Ball system and to it a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch.

cardinal96ss
01-16-2016, 05:24 AM
Correction- the generator size is 6.5KW. Sorry.

jsmith948
01-16-2016, 06:51 AM
Nice, clean install. How much propane does the generator use?

cardinal96ss
01-16-2016, 07:28 AM
I don't have enough time on it to post actuals, but the manual states the following- 0.55 gal/hr @ 10% load, 0.93 gal/hr @ 50% load, and 1.53 gal/hr @ 100% load.

ncrzrbk
01-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Very nice!! Nice work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

twomad
01-21-2016, 06:38 AM
Where is the exhaust routed for the generator

cardinal96ss
01-22-2016, 04:18 PM
To the right side of the camper and just aft of the right hand propane tank. The bedroom slide prevented me from running it to the left side. So that we can sit out on that side in comfort, I plan on using a vertical venturi exhaust venting system but have yet to purchase it.