PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Cougar 303RLS maiden voyage.

CaptnJohn
01-12-2016, 06:52 PM
She towed like a dream behind the 2016 F250! Great floor plan. Comfortable!

What I found now that was not found on PDI:
1. panel in storage missed screw connection
2. door side propane tank retaining strap too loose
3 furnace blows fuses after running a while ~~ ok that is a biggie and will have it fixed when I get home next month.

Anything else I'll add as time goes on. Still need to check the water heater on propane and the oven operation.

Not upset as we are in FL and the fireplace knocks the chill off.

dcg9381
01-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Congrats, CaptnJohn....

Good job on the PDI!

Two recommendations:
1) Pull the wheels and have the wheels/tires balanced.
2) Check the exterior screws - esp around the wheel trim skirt. These love to back out and probably will back out unless you add something to keep them there (silicone, etc).

dave-g
01-13-2016, 02:21 AM
Congrats, CaptnJohn....

Good job on the PDI!

Two recommendations:

2) Check the exterior screws - esp around the wheel trim skirt. These love to back out and probably will back out unless you add something to keep them there (silicone, etc).

I have replaced my wheel skirt screws 3-4 times- I finally put silicone on them it did the trick.

Good luck with the new camper-
As a A type personality, don't focus on all that it wrong it will drive you nuts, just enjoy your new rig and accept that nothing in perfect.

Mike484
01-13-2016, 05:59 AM
Silicone? Why not carry some blue lock tight in your tool box and put a dab of it on any screw you find lose?

CaptnJohn
01-13-2016, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys ~~~ just a dab of silicone with a from a caulk gun will do it??? I can do that here in FL.
I have 'Trailer King' tires. They do not say Made In China but I'm watching those.

mfifield01
01-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Congrats, CaptnJohn....

Good job on the PDI!

Two recommendations:
1) Pull the wheels and have the wheels/tires balanced.

Is this a significant concern from the factory? Does it help with ride quality? I checked the wheel torque after about 100 miles, but didn't take them into a tire shop.

dcg9381
01-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Generally they're not balanced (at all) from Keystone. Balancing them should improve vibration in the trailer and help contribute to keeping things like screws, cabinets, and trailer contents where they should be.

I didn't notice any ride difference in the truck, but our factory wheels/tires took a lot of weight - they were not even close.

chuckster57
01-13-2016, 08:00 AM
I've towed 4 different fivers since 1989, never had any tires balanced and can't say I've had any issues with vibration.

Not saying don't do it, just saying I don't think it's as important as balance/rotation on the tow vehicle.

Mike484
01-13-2016, 08:25 AM
Generally they're not balanced (at all) from Keystone. Balancing them should improve vibration in the trailer and help contribute to keeping things like screws, cabinets, and trailer contents where they should be.

I didn't notice any ride difference in the truck, but our factory wheels/tires took a lot of weight - they were not even close.

We just purchased a 2016 Passport 2890rl, should we take it to a tire dealer and get the tires balanced? This is really a concern, if Keystone does not balance the wheels then customers should know and an unbalanced wheel not only cause vibration, but they will wear out very quickly.

JRTJH
01-13-2016, 08:38 AM
In the December 2015 issue of Trailer life, there's a detailed article titled: "RV TIRES 101". In that article this is how the "experts" addressed balancing:

"For best performance, tire and wheel assemblies should be balanced, including the trailer tires. Out-of-balance tires put excessive forces on suspension and steering components and tend to cup and wear escessively at the heavy spot. Wheel balancing should be performed when new tires are mounted, after a flat repair and any time a tire is dismounted and remounted."

sourdough
01-13-2016, 08:59 AM
I am on my 3rd set of fender skirts due to them coming loose and flying away. I, and the dealer, used locktite, silicon etc. and continued to have problems. The final, easy fix? Put 8/32 speednuts on the back of the screws and tighten. Easy to install and easy to remove while keeping the fender tight as a fiddle.

dcg9381
01-13-2016, 10:56 AM
I had luck putting gorilla glue on the back sides of them. No problems since. Literally, we checked every exterior screw though.
The other thing to note is that the factory bushings are known to be gone in as early as a year, which is why many people covert to the "wet bolt" kit. My *guess* is that mis-balanced wheels probably exacerbate wear of the factory bushings.

Rex1vt
01-13-2016, 06:04 PM
I have 'Trailer King' tires. They do not say Made In China but I'm watching those.

They are made in China. I got 5000 miles before the first failure and replaced them with Maxxis.

Bill & Deb
01-13-2016, 07:29 PM
This is what use to hold anything that a normal screw will not.
It's called "Nutsert"

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Nutserts_s/141.htm

Cheers from Florida !

gearhead
01-14-2016, 08:34 AM
I think I would plan on replacing the tires sooner rather than later. Probably wet bolts too if you don't already have them.
I think anything that rotates needs to be balanced.

CaptnJohn
01-14-2016, 10:16 AM
Looked them up online and saw they were made in China. I'll soon have 2000 miles on them and will replace them before 5000. You would think if putting a MSRP over $60K on a coach they would put good tires on it too.

JRTJH
01-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Looked them up online and saw they were made in China. I'll soon have 2000 miles on them and will replace them before 5000. You would think if putting a MSRP over $60K on a coach they would put good tires on it too.

Airstream installs Trail King and TowMax tires on their $150K trailers.

dcg9381
01-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Thor owns both Keystone and Airstream. Makes for one heck of a deal on tires.
I'd run either brand, as long as we were way under rated load.. At least 30% reserve. Which wasn't the case with our trailer, so they got replaced. New tires weighed a lot more.

goducks
01-14-2016, 03:29 PM

They put Michelins on their $130,000 30' TTs. Go to the AS web site and look at the standard equipment. You can see them @4:57 in the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OypGppKNhJg

JRTJH
01-14-2016, 05:57 PM
They put Michelins on their $130,000 30' TTs. Go to the AS web site and look at the standard equipment. You can see them @4:57 in the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OypGppKNhJg

You're correct, for that trailer model. The trailer in the video you linked to is a special edition Airstream Classic (limited edition) Model 30J which is the "top of the line" and includes much more than typical Airstreams. In fact, solar power, twin air conditioners, upgraded 16" wheels with Michelin LTX MS LRE tires are all a part of that package. The 16" wheels/tires (Michelin) are not available on "standard build" Airstreams which are available only with 15" wheels and LR C (16-24') and LR D (25-30'). The only tires Airstream installs (in 2015) on their trailers are Trail King or Power Max. They did install some Goodyear Marathon ST tires in 2014, but that was only a "part of the year" and they resumed Trail King tires from that change to current. I am not aware of any other Airstream trailers that are standard with Michelin tires. Keep in mind that Airstream will "special build" a trailer to customer specifications (remember the NASA isolation trailers) and most Airstream dealers will switch equipment to make a sale much easier than most RV dealers who sell "RV's for the masses".

All of the Airstream trailers at the local dealership in Traverse City are equipped with Trail King ST tires. They are all 15" including the one Classic that is still on their lot. It is a "normal classic" not a "Model J".

CaptnJohn
01-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Furnace update ~~ email received from Atwood stating all will be fine with a slow burn fuse. The one suggested is Bussman 22715, light blue color 15 amp. It was stated it was available at auto parts stores.

Well, not available at Advance, Gulf Coast Auto Supply, or NAPA. I'll try to purchase online tomorrow.

Very fast response from Atwood.

CaptnJohn
01-14-2016, 07:19 PM

Trail King is different than Trailer King. Not sure if they are any better or worse. I did not search Trail King but found TWO complaints of Trailer King.

JRTJH
01-14-2016, 07:36 PM
Trail King is different than Trailer King. Not sure if they are any better or worse. I did not search Trail King but found TWO complaints of Trailer King.

I am referring to Trailer King tires and Power King (Tow Max) tires. I've no idea why it keeps "correcting" to Trail King ???

CaptnJohn
01-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Ordered the required fuse from Wiretek.com to get the furnace working. Hope they get them out today and I can update Mon.

CaptnJohn
01-27-2016, 03:20 PM
The slow burn fuse just did not sound all that ~~ so I called an electrician friend. He explained how 'it could be'. So I called a mobile tech. Told him all before arrival. He checked everything and found nothing. He called Atwood to verify the numbers he found and all is 100% in sync. Atwood told him to use a slow burn fuse. He asked where these can be found and this tech was honest and said "I have no idea so I'll send 2". No need for the furnace since so hopefully all is taken care of and the slow burn fuses to not blow when needed.

Only a few items have not been fully checked ~~ the HW and refer on gas and the black water flush. Everything except the light above the door works as supposed to.

Javi
01-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Any auto parts store should have SLOW BLOW fuses they're pretty common.

CaptnJohn
01-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Any auto parts store should have SLOW BLOW fuses they're pretty common.

They are in glass tube style. Advance Auto (2), Gulf Coast Auto Supply, NAPA, do not have them. These are the 2 pin style. Advance Gulf Coast Auto Supply,

byrdr1
01-29-2016, 05:27 AM
They are made in China. I got 5000 miles before the first failure and replaced them with Maxxis.
Off Topic but
I Replaced all four of my Blowmax tires with maxxis and had them balanced and metal valve stems put on them. My tire guy said this would help the camper ride.
As some of you have stated not sure you can tell from pulling the beast but I can tell after we left something on the counter top a trip or two ago and it was still there when we stopped. SO it must have been a smoother ride.
JMHO
randy

byrdr1
01-29-2016, 05:32 AM
They are in glass tube style. Advance Auto (2), Gulf Coast Auto Supply, NAPA, do not have them. These are the 2 pin style. Advance Gulf Coast Auto Supply,
look for some of these.
http://Bussmann-BP-CB211-30-RP-Circuit-Breaker (http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-CB211-30-RP-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B009WQPC10)
randy

CaptnJohn
01-29-2016, 06:31 AM
look for some of these.
http://Bussmann-BP-CB211-30-RP-Circuit-Breaker (http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-CB211-30-RP-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B009WQPC10)
randy

They are made by Bussman; #22715/light blue color. I did find them at wiretek.com

Tinman97423
02-18-2016, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=CaptnJohn;191901]Furnace update ~~ email received from Atwood stating all will be fine with a slow burn fuse. The one suggested is Bussman 22715, light blue color 15 amp. It was stated it was available at auto parts stores.

I have a 2016 303 and also had fuse problems with my Atwood heater blowing the fuse. My dealer said there has been problems with motor windings that have caused the fuse problems. They replaced the fan motor under warranty. The Rep. I talked to at Atwood also said the same thing about the windings. Putting on a slow burning fuse is like using tin foil or a penny.
That slow burning fuse could let the motor or other wiring get hot enough to start a fire. Did you ever see a RV burn? NO WAY should you use a slow burn or a higher amp fuse. The furnace was designed with a 15 AMP so there is a reason for it to be blowing a fuse.