PDA

View Full Version : Winter Blues!!!!

squeak93
01-12-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm sure others have this as well but I'm dying to go out camping again.

I headed up to the storage facility to grab the leaky LP gas line so I could ensure I picked up the correct one at the rv dealer today. After removing the line I popped inside the trailer for a quick "check up". (all was fine lol). I instantly wanted to turn the truck around and hook up so I could drag it somewhere with the wife and kiddos.

But sadly it will stay in storage for another two months. We have an 8 day trip from sw mo to Moab, UT coming during spring break and I think we plan a quick weekend trip the weekend before to ensure we have all the bugs we noticed last trip out fixed.

Anyone else hating winter already and wanting to camp?

And yes, you full timers can rub it in. :) :D

vampress_me
01-12-2016, 03:44 PM
It's -5 right now outside, I would love to get away from this and be camping! Hubby and I have both been talking about the camping bug this week. Only 95 more days until camper out of storage. Lol.

For me, I can't decide if it's that I want to be camping again and wishing for spring, or if I just want to get new mods done. I have a Springfield pedestal for the table sitting in its box just waiting to go in. And I'm ready to measure for new glass for in the door, and new directv mount to try out, and.... :)

14george
01-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Went to rv show in Pittsburgh can't wait to get out to camp

T3/T4 Hybrid
01-12-2016, 04:22 PM
We are heading out to Disney on Monday for a week with ours. Its a nice feeling and we are really excited to get away at this time of year.

Lkha
01-12-2016, 04:22 PM
I would settle for a rv show to walk around at

sourdough
01-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Yep, it's that time of year. Went out to the barn the other day to check batteries and push a little polish. Ended up inside the camper just sitting and wishing for a trip and looking at my new LED lights I installed last fall"bouncey:. Going to FL the 3rd week of March for 2 1/2 months so seems like forever from now. Of course, I have a knee surgery scheduled for Jan. 20 that will probably keep me occupied most of that time.....:(

squeak93
01-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Well glad to see others are missing it as much as I am. While at the storage facility I saw a few others getting into their RV's for what ever reason. I'm sure we've all got the bug and blues for now.

On a side note, a good RV show might just hold me off or make me want to upgrade. I cannot believe what some of these beast cost (more than my house on some of them).

GaryWT
01-13-2016, 08:04 AM
Always miss it big time, look out in the yard and see it every day just sitting there. It will be there until May when we camp again... Will be hitting up the Boston camping show this weekend so that will help some. We have already been planning for next year so all will be good.

koko
01-13-2016, 11:19 AM
To add insult to injury, the other day we went out to the camper to get something out, and the door was frozen shut! vampress me, You'll love that Springfield Pedestal.

GT2400BH
01-16-2016, 03:23 PM
We are hoping for a short Michigan winter to get back camping. Over New Years we had some friends with kids. Come from out of state. Our Passort was still at dealer to fix the Atwood refrigerator called to check on it. It got winterized but hadn't been fixed. Brought it home over New Years for the kids to sleep in. 20 degrees over night it kept them warm.
But sure got us excited to get back to camping. Felt nice pulling it. Glad the weather cooperated :p

JRTJH
01-16-2016, 07:38 PM
We winterized in October (as usual) and put the trailer in the pole barn after Deer Season (the last of November). Well, we had temps in the 50's all through December, sort of a "dare you to dewinterize" kind of month.... We resisted, but now that it's cold and we know we can't camp, I wonder if maybe December would have taken the edge off the "wait till spring".....

Hopefully it will be a "mild, short" winter and we can get started earlier than Memorial Day !!!!!

Javi
01-16-2016, 07:43 PM
I feel bad for y'all but we're sitting here talking about taking the trailer out next weekend.

JRTJH
01-16-2016, 08:29 PM
I feel bad for y'all but we're sitting here talking about taking the trailer out next weekend.

Yup, but remember, we'll be camping in July/August with the windows open, no A/C needed, while your "camping season" is on hold till the weather "cools down".... There's "ups" and "downs" that go along with living "up here" and "down there" LOL Now, if only I could move this "10 acres" back and forth, I could have "the best of both" Hmmmmm

Javi
01-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Yup, but remember, we'll be camping in July/August with the windows open, no A/C needed, while your "camping season" is on hold till the weather "cools down".... There's "ups" and "downs" that go along with living "up here" and "down there" LOL Now, if only I could move this "10 acres" back and forth, I could have "the best of both" Hmmmmm
Yeah but if I could lose a hundred pounds our season wouldn't be on hold in July & August. [emoji14]

Lkha
01-17-2016, 07:04 AM
-15 with -45 wind chill this AM

JRTJH
01-17-2016, 10:41 AM
-15 with -45 wind chill this AM

Brrrr It was a "balmy 2 F" here this morning with a wind chill of -15. As "uncomfortable" as that was, at least we didn't have what you had. Looking at the forecast maps, your "stuff" is headed this way.... If you want, you can "keep it" I wouldn't complain !!!!!

T3/T4 Hybrid
01-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Im happy to be living here in the South! :D

Lkha
01-17-2016, 07:08 PM
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=741&pictureid=3820

CaptnJohn
01-18-2016, 04:48 PM
I live in SE NC. Snow maybe a 1/2 inch every 3 years but it does get cold at night at times. My definition of winterizing is going to FL for a couple months.

SAABDOCTOR
01-19-2016, 05:22 AM
Oh boy we are supposed to get a "Nor-easta" this week end. hope it turns into a Nor-westa and blows out to sea! :banghead:

CaptnJohn
01-19-2016, 06:51 AM

That is why RVs have wheels ~~~ as Jimmy Buffet sings "gotta go where the weather suits my clothes".

squeak93
01-20-2016, 06:53 AM
-Degree anything and I'm out. :) My limit is about single digits. I do very well until then but hate it past that.

On a side note I've got the TV ready to haul the trailer around. We installed load lifter air bags this past weekend to help with some of the rocking/bouncing. The coil springs on the ram 2500 are nice for ride as it is my DD but you lose a bit of the 3/4 ton solidness (if you know what I mean) by having them with a 11-12k trailer on it. Plus I use a ranch hand adapter for the gooseneck ball which seems to allow the trailer to rock/bounce the truck more than what I feel a true fifth wheel would.

I may spring for the b&w companion 5th wheel this year and take the ranch hand off if it doesn't get any better. or go to the lippert (sp) gooseneck adapter that has air cushion plates in it etc to help the ride.

For now I'm just waiting for March to get here. :(

jje1960
01-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Clicking Ruby Slippers here.... There's no place like summer, there's no place like summer......

14george
01-23-2016, 03:21 PM
I know the feeling we got 27 inches here

GaryWT
01-23-2016, 04:08 PM
For the most part the current storm is missing us as we are getting 2-3 inches when so many are getting 2-3 feet. Good luck.

We have instead been booking trips for the summer. Nice to get a few of the holidays all booked.

Jca3
02-20-2016, 11:54 AM
We are heading to Zion National Park in a few weeks and just hope the ice melts of the top of the trailer. We got another 5 inches of really wet heavy snow this morning, but supposed to be above freezing every day until we go.
Hubby is trying to keep the snow shoveled in the long drive and from in front of the trailer so we can get it out. Then we got the 12 ft. ladder out to try to remove what came down this morning. Very heavy ladder and snow.
I can't wait to try out the new swivel rocker/recliners we put in in November. My new curtains, instead of hard valance sides pieces, are looking good.
So Yes we are ready to go camping too! :hpyclp:

sourdough
02-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Winter blues indeed!

Was supposed to have a knee revision done Jan. 20, figured about 4 weeks of hard rehab then leave to see the kids in FL mid March for 2 1/2 months. Instead, woke up and they had removed my knee:eek:. Now it's 2 months no knee with a replacement surgery scheduled for March 23. Our trip will now be the last week of April...I hope. Yesterday it was 84, today is supposed to be 85 and I'm stuck in a wheelchair. I told my wife a moment ago to just take me out to the storage unit and open it up so I can see the trailer....I'm going bonkers!

All those things I had planned on taking my time doing and having fun on a daily basis are now going to be done in a whirlwind and I'm missing such gorgeous weather to be outside getting things done:( I'm wishing better luck to everyone.

14george
02-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Winter blues indeed!

Was supposed to have a knee revision done Jan. 20, figured about 4 weeks of hard rehab then leave to see the kids in FL mid March for 2 1/2 months. Instead, woke up and they had removed my knee:eek:. Now it's 2 months no knee with a replacement surgery scheduled for March 23. Our trip will now be the last week of April...I hope. Yesterday it was 84, today is supposed to be 85 and I'm stuck in a wheelchair. I told my wife a moment ago to just take me out to the storage unit and open it up so I can see the trailer....I'm going bonkers!

All those things I had planned on taking my time doing and having fun on a daily basis are now going to be done in a whirlwind and I'm missing such gorgeous weather to be outside getting things done:( I'm wishing better luck to everyone.

Wish you a speedy recovery and happy camping

Movin' on
02-20-2016, 03:33 PM
Winter blues indeed!

All those things I had planned on taking my time doing and having fun on a daily basis are now going to be done in a whirlwind and I'm missing such gorgeous weather to be outside getting things done:( I'm wishing better luck to everyone..

Dang! I'm wishing better luck for you! I hope all goes well when the 23rd rolls around.

sourdough
02-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the well wishes.

DW took me out to the storage unit (just returned) and let me look at the trailer. Took a new induction cooking unit out to try when we go to FL. Beware; when you get stuck in a wheelchair all day you start doing funny things...like watch TV in the day. I never watched TV....now I do. Found a channel called HSN; never saw it before. Advertising some kind of wok, induction cook things and steamers. Bought 2 induction cookers, wok, 2 steamers etc. from TV (I don't do that kind of thing and never have). Spent $313. Told my wife what I had done and she didn't believe me. Convinced her I did and she said I needed to be committed. That was 2 weeks ago or so.

Remembered I had Amazon prime so started thinking about all the things I need (nothing else to do but watch TV?). Bought more LEDs, a hose, knick knacks and doo dads for the trailer. Ordered a new shoulder holster a minute ago. Maybe I DO need to be committed:o Preferably I would like to be able to go do something productive but here I am...stuck; and we humans now have all this stuff....internet, shopping channels on TV, smart phones..............

I may not survive the winter blues. If my wife doesn't commit me they may have to send me to the poor house. Spring/summer, please hurry so we can save this geezer!

CaptnJohn
02-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the well wishes.

DW took me out to the storage unit (just returned) and let me look at the trailer. Took a new induction cooking unit out to try when we go to FL. Beware; when you get stuck in a wheelchair all day you start doing funny things...like watch TV in the day. I never watched TV....now I do. Found a channel called HSN; never saw it before. Advertising some kind of wok, induction cook things and steamers. Bought 2 induction cookers, wok, 2 steamers etc. from TV (I don't do that kind of thing and never have). Spent $313. Told my wife what I had done and she didn't believe me. Convinced her I did and she said I needed to be committed. That was 2 weeks ago or so.

Remembered I had Amazon prime so started thinking about all the things I need (nothing else to do but watch TV?). Bought more LEDs, a hose, knick knacks and doo dads for the trailer. Ordered a new shoulder holster a minute ago. Maybe I DO need to be committed:o Preferably I would like to be able to go do something productive but here I am...stuck; and we humans now have all this stuff....internet, shopping channels on TV, smart phones..............

I may not survive the winter blues. If my wife doesn't commit me they may have to send me to the poor house. Spring/summer, please hurry so we can save this geezer!

Long ago I was in a military hospital for months. The nurses would watch soaps in my room on their lunch and we would chat during commercials. More than 10 years later I was down again and flipping channels ~~ saw the same people on the same soap doing the same stuff. The moral is ~~ if you miss them for a decade or more you start right up where you left off and miss nothing.

sourdough
02-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks.

I've found all the old shows I watched when I was younger. I'm watching Gunsmoke, Dead or alive, Rawhide, Laramie, and all kinds of other shows including Steve McQueen as a bounty hunter with the short rifle. The last thing I want is to be watching TV, but on the other hand, when I can only go 30-50ft......might as well go back go being a kid.......:)

larry337
02-20-2016, 09:00 PM
Thanks.

I've found all the old shows I watched when I was younger. I'm watching Gunsmoke, Dead or alive, Rawhide, Laramie, and all kinds of other shows including Steve McQueen as a bounty hunter with the short rifle. The last thing I want is to be watching TV, but on the other hand, when I can only go 30-50ft......might as well go back go being a kid.......:)
Sorry to hear this. I feel your pain, literally. I shattered my leg 7 months ago. 2 surgeries, 3 titanium plates, and 13 screws. Started off in a wheel chair, then a knee scooter, then crutches. I just got back to work 3 weeks ago. I still have a very noticeable limp. And yes, I watched a lot of television! Never been ill, never spent a night in the hospital before this. Hang in there, this will pass. I just kept reminding myself I'm not paralyzed, or dying, and I will heel eventually. So get well soon! Best of luck to you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

denverpilot
02-21-2016, 01:54 AM
Instead, woke up and they had removed my knee:eek:.

Good lord that's like those Internet kidney stories! Haha! ;)

Wish you a speedy recovery and happy camping

Ditto.

Sorry to hear this. I feel your pain, literally. I shattered my leg 7 months ago. 2 surgeries, 3 titanium plates, and 13 screws.

I sure hope this stuff isn't "catching"! Yikes!

Feel better soon, y'all. My goodness.

Tbos
02-21-2016, 01:45 PM
Sourdough, wish you the best for a good follow up surgery and quick recovery.

koko
02-22-2016, 11:05 AM
And I was feeling sorry for myself that I missed the Salt Lake City RV show because of what now seems like an iddy-bitty cold. So sorry to hear about your troubles. Long recoveries are awful (and painful).

gearhead
02-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Sourdough...you know you're watching too much TV when you look forward to seeing the traffic reporter girl.
I've got 6 tomatoes in the ground, English peas coming up, lawn fertilized, and 6 new fruit trees planted.
Took the boat out in the bay last week...still too fresh from all the rain.
Two trips this year, so far. A week in Tulsa and a week in Louisiana. Maybe a trip before we do the Indy 500.

bobbecky
02-23-2016, 07:32 PM
If you are stuck in a wheel chair, you could always go on a cruise. I just had a new hip installed the Monday before Christmas, and was rehab'd enough to be able to walk by the end of January when we went on the cruise. Even if you are wheel chair bound, you would be surprised how many were in the chairs on the ship. At least you would get away from the tube"bouncey: and it would probably be cheaper than buying all the HSN things:p