PDA

View Full Version : Outside Access

jamesmc321
01-11-2016, 12:48 PM
ok, so I have hunted around for a while and cannot find any posts where someone has added an outside door (access door) to their camper..

I have a Summerland with the U shaped dinette in the slide and we never use the back bench storage because it is a PITA to get too... thinking it would make a perfect storage compartment for access outside.

Any thoughts / ideas?

thanks!

chuckster57
01-11-2016, 01:10 PM
As long as there isn't any wiring, I don't see any problem. Unfortunately your not going to find any wiring diagrams showing how any wires are routed.

If there is a 110V outlet in the dinette, then you need to see if the power is brought up from the front or rear. Other than that measure 3 times before you cut.

jamesmc321
01-12-2016, 05:15 AM
As long as there isn't any wiring, I don't see any problem. Unfortunately your not going to find any wiring diagrams showing how any wires are routed.

If there is a 110V outlet in the dinette, then you need to see if the power is brought up from the front or rear. Other than that measure 3 times before you cut.

luckily no 110, just the lights :D

thanks!

chuckster57
01-12-2016, 05:53 AM
I would disconnect the battery before cutting. If you do hit any wiring, rerouting isn't that difficult.

TallEddie
01-13-2016, 10:58 AM
ok, so I have hunted around for a while and cannot find any posts where someone has added an outside door (access door) to their camper..

I have a Summerland with the U shaped dinette in the slide and we never use the back bench storage because it is a PITA to get too... thinking it would make a perfect storage compartment for access outside.

Any thoughts / ideas?

thanks!

I have a Laredo 303TG with the U dinette and had the same thought. If there was outside access the storage would be so much more useful. I am not brave enough to take a saw to my trailer though.

Ram189
01-13-2016, 12:07 PM
My Dad did this on an older Prowler we had.

He got crowded in a construction zone in the rain at night and ended up hitting one of the old flashing sawbuck type barricades with corner of trailer. It flipped up and stuffed a leg right into the side of the trailer.
We pulled it out and taped the hole shut. Got home and decided it would be a great spot for an access door since it was under the dinette seat.

A lot of careful work and plenty of patience and it looked factory when all was said and done.

UsTwo
01-14-2016, 05:06 AM
On a previous camper I had I was wanting a window in the front kitchen. I had asked our RV dealer if that was possible.. His answer... Oh yea, you can get a template for a window or a storage door for just about anything... Never did put that window in..