PDA

View Full Version : Question about rubber roof

SummitPond
01-09-2016, 05:56 PM
My nephew recommended the following product to protect the roof of our 19FBPR; he uses it on his boat (he's got his 200 ton captain's license):

303® Aerospace Protectant by Gold Eagle

Has anyone used this? Does anyone know anything about it?

It's pricier than get-out (about $1/ounce). Before investing I want to ensure it will do the job and won't hurt the roof.

Thanks.

hankpage
01-09-2016, 06:33 PM
If you ask around I think you will find that 303 is the most popular protectant used on RVs. Whether or not it is needed is another part to the question. I use it ...... But I think keeping the roof clean is most important .... JM2¢, Hank

chuckster57
01-09-2016, 06:50 PM
I use Dicor products made specifically for the roof. They ain't cheap to replace, even if you DIY.

JRTJH
01-09-2016, 07:09 PM
I would say that 303 is one of the most (if not the most) widely used protectant for RV's. But, if you're paying $1 an ounce, you're paying waaaaay too much !!! You can buy it regularly on Amazon for $48 a gallon (128 oz) and often find it for $39 a gallon on one of their "lightning deals" or "deal of the day" promotions. With Prime membership, shipping is free which makes it even a better deal.

Here's one link to Amazon's 303 market: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4TF32G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

SummitPond
01-10-2016, 06:43 AM
Thank you all.

What prompted my question was that we took the trailer in for some warranty work (another subject in itself) and CW wanted to charge us big bucks to treat the roof (not even the subject of the warranty work) even though there was no issue with it "at present". That got us thinking and talking to family that deals with issues in a similar vein. I've seen the posts about Dicor products; I must have missed the ones on 303.

I'll investigate mail order versus local purchase.

chuckster57
01-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Truth be told, when I sold my Jayco the roof was 13+ years old. Only thing I ever did was wash it with a quality car wash twice a year.

Climate might have something to do with longevity, and the fact that it was parked under a huge city tree and didn't see any afternoon sun.

Being a tech and having the ability to buy products at cost plus 10% makes it easy to buy the Dicor products.

sourdough
01-10-2016, 03:13 PM
I had my roof cleaned, inspected and treated at CW last month. It cost $339 :eek:. I have physical limitations with my legs so I can't get on the roof. I told the service manager I had intended to treat the roof with 303 and he said it was fine for that, and lots of folks used it, but they used the Dicor? product instead. I clean the roof from the side with a 10' ladder. With the cost at $339 I'm asking my doctor when I have my next knee revision on 1/20 if there isn't something he can do for the knee that will allow me to get around better so I can get on the roof "bouncey:!!

I forgot to mention that I use 303 on all the fiberglass sides of the trailer. It seems to work really well and leaves a great shine. It's easy to put on but takes quite a bit of elbow grease to get all the little streaks out of it.....especially in the sunshine. I just set aside 2 days, put it in the barn, then the DW and I wash it down with streak remover then apply 303 a section at a time and polish it off.....just do a section, sit back and admire our work then repeat..............

Brantlaker
01-10-2016, 07:49 PM
When you get your new Knees ask the Doc about Kneeling one's they have more movement than standard one's that's what I got when I hade mine replaced a few years ago.

PerryB
01-12-2016, 04:24 PM
303 is good stuff. Good for protecting tires from the sun as well.

Model A Driver
01-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Thank you all.

What prompted my question was that we took the trailer in for some warranty work (another subject in itself) and CW wanted to charge us big bucks to treat the roof (not even the subject of the warranty work) even though there was no issue with it "at present". That got us thinking and talking to family that deals with issues in a similar vein. I've seen the posts about Dicor products; I must have missed the ones on 303.

I'll investigate mail order versus local purchase.

Your post reminded me of our RV traveling friends that had a bad leak. Their insurance denied the claim because they could not prove the rubber roof had been treated every year by the dealer. They paid $5k to repair all the damage. Purely FYI folks.

dcg9381
01-13-2016, 05:43 PM
That's a crazy reason for a denial when the roof material manufacturer gives 10+ years on warranty w/o treating...

If it was because the roof hadn't been inspected / sealed, that might be different.