PDA

View Full Version : Hot water squeal

Smitty43
12-29-2015, 04:28 AM
Ok, I just developed a slight squealing sound when I open the hot water at any of the hot water faucets, there is no squealing noise from the cold water side. There is no drop in pressure from cold water to hot, just a little squeal.
I have replaced the check valve, that didn't stop it. It is driving my wife nuts, since I found no leaks anywhere and the was no drop in pressure I am not overly concerned about it. But as all of you know if the wife doesn't like it , it must be fixed. To me it sounds like water is running over a gasket making a squeal.--Smitty

old timer
12-29-2015, 05:32 AM
Here is something to try. Dont heat the water and see if cold water squeals. It may just be air in the lines. Drain the hot water tank and flush it out then see if it was just something in the tank. I use one of those power water squirter's on the end of the hose. I was surprised at how much junk was at the bottom of the tank.

Smitty43
12-29-2015, 07:53 AM
Yeah Old Timer I haven't tried not heating the water but I do the flush of the tank about once every 6 months. I use one of those wands made to flush it out too.---Smitty

bobbecky
12-29-2015, 06:13 PM
We get the squeal on occasion, and only when heating with electric. I believe what is going on is, the water is boiling at the electric element, causing rapid heating which makes the noise. It comes and goes for no reason that I've been able find, just figure as long as it is happy"bouncey: and squealing, no reason to mess with it. You might turn off the electric and switch on the gas to see if it is just on the electric side.

PerryB
12-30-2015, 04:26 AM
You could also try burping the water heater via the overtemp valve at the top of the tank. That should remove any trapped air.

chuckster57
12-30-2015, 06:28 AM
You could also try burping the water heater via the overtemp valve at the top of the tank. That should remove any trapped air.

That air gap is a necessary thing, do not "burp" it out.