PDA

View Full Version : Blow out comment

GaryWT
12-26-2015, 09:29 AM
My parents were telling me about someone they knew that had a blow out on the highway and how fixing it was crazy with trucks buzzing by. They went on to tell me that they had been traveling at 75-80 mph when the tire blew. All I could say was, there you go, they should probably keep it under 65.

old timer
12-27-2015, 04:34 AM
If I had a blowout on the highway side I would just drive to the nearest off ramp and change it there. I don't drive over 60 when towing. 80 is just crazy.

chuckster57
12-27-2015, 05:07 AM
I had a roadside blow out on the Yolo causeway years ago with my previous fiver. No off ramps for a long time. I can say that trying to change a tire with trucks going by @ 65+ mph will get your attention. And I was only doing 65 myself.

Ken / Claudia
12-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Stay alive and drive to a spot where your off the shoulder or a wide shoulder. The worst fatal, due to cause, I seen was the dad showing his son how to change a tire on the left side 3 feet from the fog line. They were hit at highway speed and both died while mom was sitting in the car. That rim can be replaced, you not so much. It is beyond me why some I have come across refuse to drive on the shoulder or low speed in the right lane to get to a safe place before changing a tire just because the rim might get bent.

Starmaster
12-27-2015, 07:22 PM
We had a curb side tire blow on our previous 5er while on I45 south of OK City. Had smoke coming from tire so had to pull to shoulder. I immediately got the wife out of the vehicle (we didn't have the dog at the time), grabbed the fire extinguisher, and we got in the grass up the embankment and behind the rig. The tire had stopped smoking by then.

I called the OK Highway Patrol and waited for them arrive. Once there I had the trooper turn on his emergency lights up the road from us. At that point I was comfortable enough to change the tire.

After the tire was changed, the trooper helped us get back into traffic safely.

Hats off and a big thanks to OHP!

Dave

Alpine
12-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Whoa...that's way too fast for sure!

I drive 60, if I'm in a hurry 62! LOL