PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Houston Texas

Mike484
12-24-2015, 11:00 PM
We have a half ton GMC Sierra and was looking for as big of a trailer we could get without having to buy a new truck too. We looked at several makes and models but was always too small or the weight was very questionable if we could really tow it with our truck. We really liked the Cougar and Loredo, in fact found one hell of a great deal on a new 2015 Loredo that was still on a dealers lot. But, again, just too much weight and I'm not ready to buy a new truck yet.

Then we finally found a salesman that understood what we were wanting, as soon as I explained what is we were trying to find, he took us out to a Passport 2890RL. It fit our needs perfectly, plenty of room, and only 5500#s dry weight.

We will be taking delivery sometime next week (as part of our deal, it has to be off the lot before the 1st). We are excited about our new trailer and hope it is everything we are expecting.

I do plan to eventually upgrade the tow vehicle, it will make towing it around much easier, and will also give us the option to upgrade to a bigger trailer later if we decide we need the extra room.

Glad to see there is a forum that is specific for Keystone owners and hope to meet some of you some day at a camp site.

notanlines
12-25-2015, 02:44 AM
Mike, welcome to you and your family to the site. We're excited for you! Hope you get a chance to get in a trip before the holidays end.

Mike484
12-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Looks like first trips will be a couple weekends in Galveston in Jan and Feb for weekend stays to get used to it. Big trip planned for spring to Northwest Arkansas, near Branson.

Harleyhop
12-25-2015, 06:11 AM
:wlcm:to the forum and congrats on the new rig! Happy Camping "bouncey:

Javi
12-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Howdy and welcome to the forum... We owned a 2890RL for a couple of years before trading up to the 5'er.. You'll enjoy it

Movin' on
12-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a very good choice with the Passport. :)

gearhead
12-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Welcome aboard from Liberty TX! There is a lot of good info on here.
I would suggest you print out the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) form from this forum and take it with you. You might want to give the dealer a heads-up that it won't be a 10 minute walk through.
Did you buy from Holiday World?

sourdough
12-25-2015, 04:37 PM
:wlcm: to the forum from W TX! Congrats on the new rig. I bet you will have a blast. The area around Branson is a lot of fun.

Mike484
12-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Did you buy from Holiday World?

Yep, Holiday World of League City, hope they pan out to be a good dealer, so far I'm not real impressed. Got better pricing from other dealers, but they are close so was hoping the couple thousand more would be worth it.

I'll have to look for the PDI, I did download the the recommended list of what will be needed, very helpful list, only things I saw missing was the stainless steel screen for the vents to keep bugs out and a cover for the sun roof/bathroom vent to stop the heat during hot weather.

We have a hangar at the Chambers County airport in Anahuac and sometimes fly to the the Liberty airport, your always welcome to stop by some Saturday. We fly gyroplanes from there, have a big fly-in every October that brings people in from all over the US.

gearhead
12-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Yep, Holiday World of League City, hope they pan out to be a good dealer, so far I'm not real impressed. Got better pricing from other dealers, but they are close so was hoping the couple thousand more would be worth it.

I'll have to look for the PDI, I did download the the recommended list of what will be needed, very helpful list, only things I saw missing was the stainless steel screen for the vents to keep bugs out and a cover for the sun roof/bathroom vent to stop the heat during hot weather.

We have a hangar at the Chambers County airport in Anahuac and sometimes fly to the the Liberty airport, your always welcome to stop by some Saturday. We fly gyroplanes from there, have a big fly-in every October that brings people in from all over the US.

League City seems somewhat better at repairs than Katy, where we bought ours.
You can have many of the components/appliances repaired under warranty at any authorized repair shop instead of the dealer. The A/C and refrigerator probably have 2 year warranties. You can also buy more warranty time from Dometic, if that's who made them. Channelview RV Supply on I-10 East is a parts and service only shop, and I highly recommend them.
Look at the first post in the "Keystone Questions" for the "Sticky" for the PDI.
There is a lot of good info on this site. Welcome again....

Mike484
12-31-2015, 05:20 AM
Took possession yesterday, now gotta plan first trip, we're excited!

Desert185
12-31-2015, 07:58 AM
Welcome, and have fun! Lot's of well-mannered expertise on this forum. I've learned a lot.

My son lives in Houston. Give my regards to Buc-ee's, Spec's and Gilhooley's. 👍🏻

Mike484
12-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Welcome, and have fun! Lot's of well-mannered expertise on this forum. I've learned a lot.

My son lives in Houston. Give my regards to Buc-ee's, Spec's and Gilhooley's. ����

Is that the Gilhooley's on the bay in Bay Cliff?
Used to go there all the time, loved the Oysters Gilhooly's.

Desert185
12-31-2015, 11:32 PM
Is that the Gilhooley's on the bay in Bay Cliff?
Used to go there all the time, loved the Oysters Gilhooly's.

9th St in Dickinson is their actual address. Those towns run together.

Texascoastalfish
02-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Congrats on your new TT. We started with a little Jayfeather Hybrid in 2011, Upgraded to a 2007 Sydney Bunkhouse and a 3/4 ton PU. Then Finally to a 2015 Cougar 5'ver purchases at HW in League City
It's the natural Evolution of the RV'er it seems, and we eventually conformed to the Philosophy of "Entertain 6, Feed 4, and Sleep 2" and now have all the room we want,
2 more words on RV supplies.. "Amazon Prime !" at your door in 2 days. Its like a mini Christmas several times a month !
Enjoy !

Mike484
03-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Made our Maiden Voyage.

Been waiting for this for two months. We have our 2 year old granddaughter every other week, the other weeks were too cold or raining and the only nice weekend that we didnt have our granddaughter, Mardi Gras was in Galveston.

But, finally got our weekend out, the weather was beautiful and the campground (Galveston Island RV Resort) was a great place. The trailer pulled very well, we were pleased. Setup/takedown was a breeze, much easier than we expected. Everthing worked very well. We installed a 24" TV in the bedroom, changed out all of the interior bulbs to LED, and tried everything out.

Only issues:
Need to stabilize better, we didnt use anything but standard wheel chocks and the trailers stabilizer jacks. Will be purchasing either the X-Chocks or the OneStep to see if they make it any better.
The slot on the door for the dead bolt was off just enough that we couldnt use the dead bolt. I removed the plate so we could use it. Now have to do a minor adjustment so it will work properly.
The water pump, in our opinion, was very loud. We had full hookups so didnt need it, just ran it to make sure it worked, which it did but we dont like how loud it is. (and yes, the fresh water tank was 2/3rds full so its not because it was starving for water)
Bed is very hard and very uncomfortable to sleep on. We are looking at a matress topper to try out before we go the full route and replace the matress.
Two screws had come out from the bottom of one of the curtains, bought new screws, repaired.

Couldnt find any other issues, we are very happy with our trailer. Now we are anxiously awaiting our Florida trip the last week of March.

msubobcats
03-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Made our Maiden Voyage.

Been waiting for this for two months. We have our 2 year old granddaughter every other week, the other weeks were too cold or raining and the only nice weekend that we didnt have our granddaughter, Mardi Gras was in Galveston.

But, finally got our weekend out, the weather was beautiful and the campground (Galveston Island RV Resort) was a great place. The trailer pulled very well, we were pleased. Setup/takedown was a breeze, much easier than we expected. Everthing worked very well. We installed a 24" TV in the bedroom, changed out all of the interior bulbs to LED, and tried everything out.

Only issues:
Need to stabilize better, we didnt use anything but standard wheel chocks and the trailers stabilizer jacks. Will be purchasing either the X-Chocks or the OneStep to see if they make it any better.
The slot on the door for the dead bolt was off just enough that we couldnt use the dead bolt. I removed the plate so we could use it. Now have to do a minor adjustment so it will work properly.
The water pump, in our opinion, was very loud. We had full hookups so didnt need it, just ran it to make sure it worked, which it did but we dont like how loud it is. (and yes, the fresh water tank was 2/3rds full so its not because it was starving for water)
Bed is very hard and very uncomfortable to sleep on. We are looking at a matress topper to try out before we go the full route and replace the matress.
Two screws had come out from the bottom of one of the curtains, bought new screws, repaired.

Couldnt find any other issues, we are very happy with our trailer. Now we are anxiously awaiting our Florida trip the last week of March.

Congrats and welcome from Northern California...
We put a 4" memory foam on our mattress and it is MUCH better.
When the weather looks up and when we get our new rig back from having a couple of very minor issues repaired we will be off for our first shakedown trip...

gearhead
03-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Mattress topper helps a lot. We did a 2" from Walmart; less than $100.

PG2920BH
03-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Congrats and welcome to the forum from Richmond. We bought our Passport 2920 from HW Katy and are convinced all dealers are the same... good on the sales side and not so good on the other stuff. Enjoy the TT.