PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only guy who hand dry's my RV after every wash

nellie1289
12-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Just curious what people do washing/waxing wise. I usually wash with a brush and dry it off with 4-5 towels on a sunny day, or in the winter if the roads are dry I will wash it drive it a couple miles then dry it. I do have covered storage I was just curious what others do. I don't mind the effort and I have to say it is nice to have it clean when you take it out on the next journey. I figure its a big investment so why not protect your rig! I wax the cap twice a year.

On edit I generally dry it to keep it from water spotting....

GaryWT
12-22-2015, 10:23 PM
I use a wash/wax on it. Sometimes I just wash the front cap. Generally it is dark out when I finish washing so it dries overnight.

bsmith0404
12-23-2015, 05:34 AM
I rinse with spot free (softened) water, way too much RV to try to dry it.

Starmaster
12-23-2015, 06:54 AM
X2 what bsmith said. I bought our portable water softener for about $200. We use it to supply the trailer water when we are parked for more than a couple of days. When at home, it's used for washing the cars, trailer, boat, etc.

Softened water leaves no spots and soap suds a lot more.:)

Dave

sourdough
12-23-2015, 10:58 AM
We dry the RV every time we wash. Water always leaves marks if not dried off (everywhere we've been). We then wax with 303. As a word of caution; I just paid CW $339 to inspect/clean/treat the roof and wash the trailer. I made them wash the trailer twice because the water marks were terrible. Even then, it just isn't like something I would do. We put it in our storage building and re-did it ourselves (I've got the front and one side done- hope to have the rest done today). We had the front cap re-painted about a year ago so we try to keep it clean and treated in the hopes that it won't fade again.

nellie1289
12-23-2015, 11:21 AM
We dry the RV every time we wash. Water always leaves marks if not dried off (everywhere we've been). We then wax with 303. As a word of caution; I just paid CW $339 to inspect/clean/treat the roof and wash the trailer. I made them wash the trailer twice because the water marks were terrible. Even then, it just isn't like something I would do. We put it in our storage building and re-did it ourselves (I've got the front and one side done- hope to have the rest done today). We had the front cap re-painted about a year ago so we try to keep it clean and treated in the hopes that it won't fade again.

Amen brother, there is no place in America where the water doesn't spot from my experience, and I live in the northwest where we probably have the softest water of anywhere. Our water doesn't even get treated, no fluoride, nothing it comes right off mount hood(bull run) and into the Portland water system. I don't know how people can say there water doesn't spot?

JRTJH
12-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Amen brother, there is no place in America where the water doesn't spot from my experience, and I live in the northwest where we probably have the softest water of anywhere. Our water doesn't even get treated, no fluoride, nothing it comes right off mount hood(bull run) and into the Portland water system. I don't know how people can say there water doesn't spot?

Same here. Our "well water" is about as "fresh and pure" as can be expected for this area. After being pumped out of the ground behind our house, it's filtered to remove the iron and any potential organic material, then softened to remove the mineral content. That leaves behind just enough sodium (from the water softener) to spot dark surfaces when it dries.

So, it's either buy a "de-ionizer" or use a chamois/towel. So far, I'm too cheap to spring for the de-ionizer and towels work well to prevent spotting on the RV. I usually follow-up with either a quick coating of 303 or a polish. Wax just doesn't seem to last long enough to justify the effort...

mfifield01
12-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Any clue how long 303 lasts? I was previously using it on my boat's interior and dash. It kept it looking new, but I used it frequently in the summer. I put 303 on my 2810 right after purchase. I'm just curious how often I should treat it.

BTW - I don't dry, due to the size.

skidooxman
12-23-2015, 01:30 PM
I use 303 but also a squeegee on a 6 foot handle, gets all the water off and no scratching. The auto squeegee is 12" or 16" and can be used by hand or a handle.

I might add, my OCD washes and dries my trailer before and after every trip, and I travel with detailing supplies, a few trips I even washed it in a parking lot or my tank water. I know I know, my OCD is going to kill me.

bsmith0404
12-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Apparently you all haven't discovered using water to dry. If you have a good coat of wax and you do water sheeting with soft water it will be nearly dry without leaving spots behind. Google drying with water, you will find a bunch of info/youtube videos. It's a detailers trick to avoid introducing scratches through drying.

jje1960
12-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Yea, it get's dry if the leaf blower reaches the water....

nellie1289
12-23-2015, 03:15 PM
I use 303 but also a squeegee on a 6 foot handle, gets all the water off and no scratching. The auto squeegee is 12" or 16" and can be used by hand or a handle.

I might add, my OCD washes and dries my trailer before and after every trip, and I travel with detailing supplies, a few trips I even washed it in a parking lot or my tank water. I know I know, my OCD is going to kill me.

Well with an unbelievably beautiful setup you got I can hardly blame you. I love that setup you are rolling.

gtsum2
12-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Mine air drys. Can't imagine drying it by hand...39ft long means I would dry the front cap and the rest of he trailer likely air dried before I got to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nellie1289
12-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Mine air drys. Can't imagine drying it by hand...39ft long means I would dry the front cap and the rest of he trailer likely air dried before I got to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha I wash one side at a time for this reason then dry it and move on

squeak93
12-24-2015, 09:38 AM
I washed mine once..... does that count?

But really, I need to spend some time waxing it getting ride of 5 years of stuff on it. It looks nice but when you get up on it, you can see the streaks etc from where water "runs" down the side after rain etc.

I'm about to pay a detail service as the time I takes to wash/wax my truck is extensive, I can't imagine a 37 ft Fifth wheel... YIKES. :eek:

old timer
12-25-2015, 07:12 AM
I don't hand dry anything. I found that rubbing on painted finishes leaves tiny scratches in the finish. No matter how you try they will just appear. Now I use my shop vac to blow the water off my cars and 5th wheel. Less rubbing means less scratches. it also blows the water out from places you cant dry with a towel. I use the filters that I use for filling my water tank to filter the water. It may not filter that much but something is better than nothing> Water here is as hard as a rock. LOL

Javi
12-25-2015, 09:46 AM
I wash both my truck and the 5'er in rain water and air dry... :D

gearhead
12-25-2015, 04:12 PM
As humid as it is here, there is no point drying it if it's parked outside.

nellie1289
12-31-2015, 03:44 PM
for those of you who think drying it is hard, I waxed the cap yesterday!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_191098_0_fffe565163e91c57bf989d6fc66a5627.jpeg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_191098_1_8cbcdcc6229baf53fff3e544268e262b.jpeg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_191098_2_3ca71b909849a7b3643bdbadc1cd3231.jpeg

old timer
01-03-2016, 05:29 AM
Wish i had a place like that to do my rig LOL.
Looks nice to bad the previous owner didnt take that much care of mine. I have lots of work to do on mine to make it shine like that.

dfb
02-03-2016, 04:07 PM
I use a brush to wash and then get a floor broom.. Wrap towels around the broom to dry the water off.Takes about an hour to do the entire 39 footer.. Yes, you can use water to dry as well. just use the hose with no attachment and the water will rinse off the spots. Neat.. Some one said they do not wax because once it is waxed, it is always waxed...

roadglide
05-04-2016, 05:24 AM
I don't hand dry anything. I found that rubbing on painted finishes leaves tiny scratches in the finish. No matter how you try they will just appear. Now I use my shop vac to blow the water off my cars and 5th wheel. Less rubbing means less scratches. it also blows the water out from places you cant dry with a towel. I use the filters that I use for filling my water tank to filter the water. It may not filter that much but something is better than nothing> Water here is as hard as a rock. LOL
Im looking my first wax on the rv . I invested in a electric leaf blower for drying the harley.

chris199
05-05-2016, 03:02 PM
I hand dry also. Don't like water spots. When I'm done, I'm exhausted.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dave W
05-07-2016, 05:27 AM
If it ever stops raining long enough I will wash, hand dry with retired bath towels then if time before it moves to its summer home, hand wax all 38 feet of length, 8+ feet of nose cap and 8+ feet of rear, all of which is up to 13 feet off the ground. This 5er cost a bunch of our hard earned bucks and it needs to stay looking as though I have some pride in our purchase, not like many of the well weathered RVs in service. The 7 year old TV is also done that way too:D

DAN d
05-20-2016, 03:58 AM
my 2 cents in i use leaf blower to blow dry triad on my other 5th wheels works well also hand dry at times:)