PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove this?

ESICA
12-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Greetings,

Can anyone tell me how to remove this carpeted cap at the base of a pop-out. I don't see any screw heads to remove. Looks like I have a water leak coming from under there. I see a bunch hoses for the W/D hook ups. I'll bet it's that, but I can get my hands on it.

Thanks for any help.

goducks
12-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Small crow bar or cats paw would do it. Guessing its just a piece of plywood or srtanboard with carpet glued or stapled to it. I would try and remove the carpet 1st. then see how the wood backing is attached.

JRTJH
12-22-2015, 11:08 AM
If it is installed like the fifth wheel steps and the water pump access panels in front bedroom travel trailers, there are several #2 Roberts (square head) screws "hidden" in the carpet. On my fifth wheel steps, I found them by separating and "combing" through the carpet fibers with my fingers. Hard to find and even more frustrating to find the second time....

Another possibility is the bottom shelf in the cabinet "just above" the carpeted panel may be removable and the carpeted panel may be held in place by screws driven into the panel from inside the cabinet ???

Both are "just best guesses" as I've never had to remove a panel like you've pictured. When you do find the "answer" please post as a helpful guide for others facing the same question..... Good Luck !!!

jsmith948
12-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Get a magnet (a cow magnet works) and tie it on the end of a string. As you pass the magnet over the step/panel, it will moved toward the screw head. Once you loosen the screws, either leave them in the carpeted panel or insert small nails or wire into the holes so you don't "lose" them.

chuckster57
12-22-2015, 09:02 PM
I use a magnet on a regular basis. On occasion I have had a screw set deep enough that the magnet doesn't work. At that point I use a pointed tool like an awl and poke around in the area where the screw should be.

ESICA
12-23-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks gentlemen.....I'll give it a shot over the weekend.