PDA

View Full Version : Disaster on Day One!

Movin' on
12-17-2015, 04:36 AM
After weeks of work with modifications, packing, etc. the DW and I (the dog & cat too) finally started out on our 2nd snowbird adventure. We were heading to Fredericksburg, TX to spend Christmas there and enjoy the town and the people for a week before heading on to where ever our little hearts desired.

So, we start out everything is going well. We were talking about how excited we were to be doing this again, when someone going way too fast for wet pavement loses control on I-68 while passing us and well, I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story. Looks like we'll be spending Christmas in WV.

Fortunatly we were only 23 miles from home and were able to pull it back there. What would happen if we were 1000 miles away? What do you do?
I'd like to hear from others who have been in similar situations far from home and what they did.

old timer
12-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Thats sad, when pulling we are sitting ducks. Hope the person had insurance.

squeak93
12-17-2015, 06:26 AM
That had to be scary! I've had a couple of "close" calls so far as some folks think you can stop on a dime when pulling just like they can. So they speed up to pass, cut you off, then jam the brakes to turn so they didn't have to wait that extra 10 seconds following you. All while talking/texting in their rolling phone booth.

Maybe I'm getting old (just in my early 30's lol) but I'm super protective while driving/pulling as I've always got my wife, two girls and dog with me.

My paranoia/greatest fear is someone causing a wreck and the trailer magically coming uncoupled and coming through the rear of the cab and causing severe harm to my daughters.... It's crap like that which keeps me up at night....

Oh and I'm glad you're ok OP. That looks like a significant amount of damage on the inside. I'd be extremely nervous about hidden damages.

hankaye
12-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Movin' on, Howdy;

Sorry to hear that your plans were ruined.
I-68 is an interesting stretch of highway.
What caused the damage to the curbside of the RV ?
Was the "stoopid human" passing you on the Right-hand side?
What did Trooper Bob have to say and anyone cited?

Hope the rest of your Holiday Season works out better for you.

hankaye

dcg9381
12-17-2015, 07:45 AM
What would happen if we were 1000 miles away? What do you do?
I'd like to hear from others who have been in similar situations far from home and what they did.

Glad you're OK.
We had a major mechanical breakdown 300 miles from home, 900 miles from our destination (Class-C). About 1 dealer in 10 can handle a class-C. After holing up in a hotel for 3 days, waiting on a dealer to get parts - they indicated the repair would take more than 2 weeks.

We rented a Tahoe and a cargo trailer, packed it up, and continued on our way.. I got the Tahoe at a discount rate from the dealer, ended up putting 2400 miles on it in 3 weeks.

Ken / Claudia
12-17-2015, 11:59 AM
I was heading off deer hunting in Oct. with the TT traveling I 84 around 5am.
Almost no traffic, I was on CC at 65mph. A vehicle slowly overtakes me in the left lane. That's fine with me, no other traffic anywhere. The car passes me and switches into the right lane about 12 inches from my front bumper. Unbelievable how some people drive. The driver put his life and mine in danger. I rarely due anything unless in a patrol vehicle but, this time, I put the lights on bright and keep on the horn until he speed up and was a safe distance. There are way to many people driving who do not care or understand what danger they are to others on the roads. And after stopping them or investigating crashes they caused, some still think they drive great. The common statement is I always drive this way. Yea, that I do believe.

Movin' on
12-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Movin' on, Howdy;

Sorry to hear that your plans were ruined.
I-68 is an interesting stretch of highway.
What caused the damage to the curbside of the RV ?
Was the "stoopid human" passing you on the Right-hand side?
What did Trooper Bob have to say and anyone cited?

Hope the rest of your Holiday Season works out better for you.

hankaye

All the damage is on the traffic side. We were in the right lane at the interchange of I-68 and I-79 southbound which is notorious for accidents (flawed design). Speed limit there is 50 but the lady in the GMC Yukon was obviously going way too fast and the road was wet. Didn't see her until I heard tires squealing and then she was bouncing off the concrete barrier and headed straight into the side of the Cougar. Hard to believe you can get "T-boned" going the same direction.

The lady Trooper said "it's close to Christmas and she (the other driver) has kids, so I'm not giving her a citation, just a warning."

Oh well, it could have been much worse, so I'm very thankful. Now we get to go shopping for another 5ver....this one is definitely totaled....frame is bent, the whole rig is somewhat twisted. Hopefully the insurance company will agree.

Thanks to all for your replies. It's nice to know my Keystone family cares.

Merry Christmas to you all. :)

notanlines
12-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Most certainly this close to Christmas and she has kids makes all the difference on why she didn't get a citation.......did I miss something?

CaptnJohn
12-17-2015, 04:51 PM
Glad you are OK and sorry about your trip being ruined along with your 5er.

I would have asked the trooper to give her a citation. I would certainly call and write his superior and let him know I was disappointed and would voice that to the governor! A citation may have given her reason to think of her kids and others in the future.

jsmith948
12-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Well, I've heard of the "good ol' boy's network", I guess this was the "good ol' girls network? Bet that "she bear" would have cited a man? Just sayin'

hankaye
12-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Movin' on, Howdy;

Sorry, I got myself turned around looking at the 1st photo I got stoopid
myself as I was thinking waste drain was on the curbside :banghead: dhooo!

Like the others have mentioned, she should have received a citation, don't
know how the laws read in Wva, but it may be a reason for the insurance
co. to disallow the claim without the fault not being firmly placed, as it would
with a citation.
I've been through that interchange many times in a big truck. Not an nice
experience on a nice day either.

Hope your Holidays are safe and enjoyable.

hankaye

Ken / Claudia
12-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Regarding to cite or not.. Police have the right to take action such as a cite or arrest or warn on most things. But, I was trained when someone is the cause of a crash that damaged another's property or injured someone. They get a cite or arrested. 30 years of working nearly every holiday and about 20 of that traffic enforcement getting yelled at by the person receiving it for writing cites on or near Christmas was a given. It's just part of the job. This crash should have had a cite issued.

BirchyBoy
12-18-2015, 10:00 AM
The lady Trooper said "it's close to Christmas and she (the other driver) has kids, so I'm not giving her a citation, just a warning."

I hope the trooper didn't cause any trouble for your insurance company collecting from hers. If she wasn't cited, she probably won't be "at fault" from an insurance perspective. Holidays or not, that seems like the wrong thing to do by the trooper.

Movin' on
12-19-2015, 05:15 AM
They have Geico Insurance, and the adjuster is scheduled for Monday morning. I've already been "interrogated" on the phone by Geico. Our conversation was being recorded, and I was very careful in my choice of words. Kind of obvious they are trying to get me to say something that would cast blame on me. :eek: I don't think it worked.

We are assuming (and I shouldn't assume anything) that since Geico is talking to us and coming to look at the Cougar, that the other party is insured, and that Geico is accepting some degree of responsibility in this.

I guess we'll find out on Monday. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks again for all the replies. :)

jsmith948
12-19-2015, 05:45 AM
The Geico adjuster's job is to save the company money. I would pay for a copy of the police report in order to see which way the officer on scene slanted the report. Since she didn't cite the other driver, she may well have written the report in such a way as to be harmful to you. I would also be wary of any further communication with the other driver's insurance company. I would turn this mess over to my insurance company and let them fight it out - that's what you pay your premiums for. Considering the possible costs to you in increased premiums/ loss of coverage/ being sued by the other driver, etc, I think I would seek the advice of a lawyer. That cop did not do you ANY favors! JMHO:)

Added on edit: I do not mean to suggest legal action on your part, just protect your interests - I'm not a fan of suing at the drop of a hat - but, and this may come as a shock, but the other driver may have lied to the cop. Just sayin'

JimQ
12-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Sorry to hear of your accident and I am glad everyone is alright. It is a good thing the other party that caused the accident received a written warning. Why? It puts them at fault. Here in Massachusetts, there is no appeal on a written warning and it puts that party at fault for the accident. If there was an actual citation, the party could file for an appeal, resulting in a hearing where a clerk or judge could throw it out. So, a written warning after an accident serves a purpose! Hope you have a Merry Christmas despite this unfortunate accident.

old timer
12-19-2015, 07:05 AM
Always take pictures of the other car and person driving. I wouldn't talk to Geico just refer them to your insurance guy. Let them hash it out. She should have gotten a ticket. She was a danger to herself and her kids. Looks like you too.

hankaye
12-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Howdy All;

Here in N.M. it sounds strange but anytime, ANYTIME there is a child
involved in any situation where there is a Law Enforcement officer involved
even a traffic accident the person who is at fault (determined by the LEO),
also is charged with Child Abuse. So, had that accident occurred here in NM,
the Mom would have been charged as stated above. Strange how the
legal systems vary from State to State ...

sourdough
12-19-2015, 10:40 AM
It's a shame your trip was ruined. Thankfully you and yours escaped without any serious injuries. The other driver should have been charged; it is inexplicable to me how the trooper could just "overlook" what they did, particularly with kids in the car.

If you've never been to Fredericksburg you should plan on making the trip at another time. It would have been neat for you at Christmas but other times of the year are neat too...and lots of hill country to explore beyond there.

Hoping you have great Christmas holiday and that you get the RV replaced without a lot of hassle. As has been said, I think I would let my insurance company do the talking and take the lead on protecting your interests. Good luck.

Movin' on
12-19-2015, 12:14 PM
The other driver should have been charged; it is inexplicable to me how the trooper could just "overlook" what they did, particularly with kids in the car.

If you've never been to Fredericksburg you should plan on making the trip at another time. It would have been neat for you at Christmas but other times of the year are neat too...and lots of hill country to explore beyond there.

The other driver didn't have her kids in the car, just her husband. She kept saying my kids are at home waiting for me. That's what the Trooper meant too, "she has kids at home."

Anyway..... yes, we have been to Fredericksburg before, that's why we were going back, and when we get back on the road we still are going there. Got to have some of those Fredericksburg Pecan Company treats! We felt very welcome and comfortable everywhere we went in Texas. The only problem with Texas, it's just too far from one side to the other.:D just kidding of course.

bmach
12-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Did everyone but those of us from Massachusetts miss that the other driver was given warning. That should cover the op.

hankaye
12-19-2015, 03:38 PM
bmach, Howdy;

Yes we all (mostly), caught it. That has been the main gist of the ensuing
conversations. Different States, even Commonwealths, treat the issuance
or not of a citation differently, The choir has been chiming in with their
different views and generally surmising about the outcome for the "OP" and
whither or not it would have been better for him to have insisted that a
citation to have been issued. Happens here on the forum all the time.

hankaye

sourdough
12-19-2015, 04:40 PM
As hankaye said I think a "warning" is handled differently in different places. A warning doesn't generally imply guilt. A citation "cites" guilt. When I get a warning in TX the officer just says he's giving a warning, I don't have an option to disagree or see a judge therefore I can't be guilty, he writes it up, tells me it doesn't go on my record or anywhere else and I'm gone.

It seems to me a warning is used to show that the officer is on the job and doing his job. The warning then is issued if there is an infraction that may or may not have happened (not proveable beyond a shadow of a doubt) and/or was so marginal that it's not worth pursuing. When you have a vehicle that hits the guardrail, t-bones another vehicle (RV) and does the kind of damage the pics show due to driving too fast on a wet road (speed limit doesn't usually have to apply in that case - "for the conditions" can be used). I'm not sure how a "warning" is in order....unless in MA a warning is considered a guilty plea up front. Again, all states are different and I don't propose to know what a "warning" vs "citation" means in MA - I do know that an insurance company will exploit every nook and cranny if they think there is some legal loophole to get their client off the hook (and save them money), and a warning vs citation seems like one.

JRTJH
12-19-2015, 05:18 PM
OK guys, I'm lost (Not unusual, I know) but the OP is from West Virginia, the accident occurred at the intersection of I 68 and I 79, just south west of Morgantown, WV. I can't see any reason why the laws of Massachusetts would have any influence on what the police officer did/didn't do inthis incident. The accident occurred at least 500 miles from Massachusetts legal influences. Am I missing something here?

gearhead
12-19-2015, 06:55 PM
When you get back to Fredericksburg you may want to visit The Sauer-Beckmann Farm

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/lyndon-b-johnson/park_history#farm

East of town on 290. We're overdue, it's been years.

Ken / Claudia
12-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Just because police arrive at a crash does not mean there was any report written. Here police only have to write a report if injuries, death, or arrest, ticket of someone due to the crash. If a police report is written all driver's will get a copy either at the scene or by mail. On the police report it will list the cause or causes of crash and if what or any action the police took. Just as vehicle #1 driver lost control and crashed into vehicle #2, warning issued to driver #1.
All drivers must fill out a crash form to the DMV if damage is over 2500 or injury or death. That's what the ins co. usually get because many crashes never have a police report.
A police common crash report here will take the officer an hour or 2 at the scene and 2 to 4 hours at the office. So, when you go to several each day and at times many more, not all will get or can have a police report written. When everyone has a driver's license and insurance and no injuries it is best to let the ins co. do their job and not tie up police services. Agents do phone police at times to ask questions but, the driver's statements and vehicle damage will almost always show a investigator what happened and why.
A written warning will go into the police data but, not to the courts or insurance. That can be good or bad. I just write a ticket or list the cause. Filling out a written warning takes as long as a ticket, might as well write a ticket.

B-O-B'03
12-20-2015, 11:19 AM
... The only problem with Texas, it's just too far from one side to the other.:D just kidding of course.

The sun has riz, the sun has set and here I is, in Texas yet :D

Texas is a big place, half the drive from Long Beach CA to Dallas is in Texas

Glad everyone is unhurt... "things" can be replaced.

Enjoy your holidays.

-Brian

Movin' on
12-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Here's an update. The insurance adjuster was here today. This is the first time I've had to go through this, so naturally I was expecting to be very disappointed.

Not at all! The adjuster was very courteous, listened to what we had to say, did the appraisal and called us later this evening. The Cougar is totaled, and they are giving us a little more for it than I expected.

The DW and I were cleaning out a few things left inside and both felt sad. It's like saying goodbye to a dear friend. I only hope that our next rig is as trouble free as this one has been, and our next one will definitely be a Keystone. :)

hankaye
12-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Movin' on, Howdy;

Good to hear that you are satisfied with the out-come and the adjuster
is of decent character.

hankaye

T3/T4 Hybrid
12-24-2015, 05:39 AM
Here's an update. The insurance adjuster was here today. This is the first time I've had to go through this, so naturally I was expecting to be very disappointed.

Not at all! The adjuster was very courteous, listened to what we had to say, did the appraisal and called us later this evening. The Cougar is totaled, and they are giving us a little more for it than I expected.

The DW and I were cleaning out a few things left inside and both felt sad. It's like saying goodbye to a dear friend. I only hope that our next rig is as trouble free as this one has been, and our next one will definitely be a Keystone. :)

I just wanted to chime in and say good luck on the new up coming rig. NC is having a big RV show in Jan and Feb. If you want to walk around and kick some tires. They go all out for these shows. Me and DW are going to the one in Greensboro just to get away for a day. I've attached the link below.

http://northcarolinarvda.com/

Movin' on
12-24-2015, 05:54 AM
I just wanted to chime in and say good luck on the new up coming rig. NC is having a big RV show in Jan and Feb. If you want to walk around and kick some tires. They go all out for these shows. Me and DW are going to the one in Greensboro just to get away for a day. I've attached the link below.

http://northcarolinarvda.com/

Just wanted to say thanks for the info about the RV Show. Yesterday we brought home our new Montana HC 305RL, so we're good to go, and in fact we're going to get packed up and still spread our "snowbird wings" in a few days and head out. We're hoping things go a little better this time around.

Merry Christmas everyone.:xmas7:

SAABDOCTOR
12-24-2015, 06:00 AM
Nice Christmas present from the insurance company. Glad your all ok. Best of luck with the new rig when it comes.:)

T3/T4 Hybrid
12-24-2015, 06:08 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for the info about the RV Show. Yesterday we brought home our new Montana HC 305RL, so we're good to go, and in fact we're going to get packed up and still spread our "snowbird wings" in a few days and head out. We're hoping things go a little better this time around.

Merry Christmas everyone.:xmas7:

Sweet!!! :cool:

Being an original Mountaineer myself from the coal fields area in the southern part of WV, best of luck on the upcoming trip and Merry Christmas too.

bmach
12-24-2015, 08:11 AM
I would think that no matter where you are from a warning will state what it was issued for. You do not just get a warning. It would be a warning for, speeding, following to closely or for what ever reason. It will be issued for a given reason and that should help the op better than if the cop did nothing. That is all I am saying. Have a nice Christmas!

denverpilot
12-25-2015, 09:46 PM
Frankly with that much damage, I'm glad to hear they totaled it and handed you a check. Repairs of that magnitude never really are "quite right". Sounds like it worked out about the best way it could. Nobody hurt, check in hand to go shopping again, and everyone home safe that day.

Movin' on
12-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Frankly with that much damage, I'm glad to hear they totaled it and handed you a check. Repairs of that magnitude never really are "quite right". Sounds like it worked out about the best way it could. Nobody hurt, check in hand to go shopping again, and everyone home safe that day.

The pictures didn't even do justice to the damage. No way it could be fixed, and it sure did work out for all parties. The other vehicle was totaled, but they were not hurt. The only problem is the check is not in hand yet. We've been going around and around with the ins. co. until they have really pushed us beyond our limit of "niceness" (to say the least):banghead:. On our last conversation with a supervisor I think we made that clear. There is supposed to be a rep. from the company at our door Monday morning with the check. We'll see how that goes.

hankaye
12-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Movein' on, Howdy;

Probably just their way of keep in' the yearly pay-outs down by delaying
yours and most likely several others. So, they'll be starting a new quarter
and new tax year with your pay-out. Or some such financial and bookkeeping
shenanigans ... whatever plays out the best for them ...

hankaye

Movin' on
01-04-2016, 04:12 PM
It's over (I think)! The insurance company delivered the check today and the Cougar is theirs now. We're packed and ready to head out in the morning, which will be exactly 3 weeks since we started out before. Hope things go better this time. :)

T3/T4 Hybrid
01-04-2016, 06:42 PM
It's over (I think)! The insurance company delivered the check today and the Cougar is theirs now. We're packed and ready to head out in the morning, which will be exactly 3 weeks since we started out before. Hope things go better this time. :)

I hope you got out of WV before all of the snow fall today.

dirt33
01-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Movin On,

Glad to hear that everything worked out well on the insurance side of things, and sorry you had to go through all of this.

If you happen to be looking for an RV park to spend some time in after you are done in Fredricksburg, I would say that Buckhorn Resort in Kerrville is our favorite RV park of 25-30 visited so far. Perhaps you have already been there if you have visited that area previously. Anyway, just mentioning it as one option, I am sure you are well aware of others as well.

Have a great trip, and certainly let's hope things go much better this time around!

Movin' on
01-09-2016, 05:31 PM
T3/T4 Hybrid, It was 2 degrees and a couple inches of snow, but roads weren't bad, so we got the heck out of WV.

Dirt33, We stayed at Buckhorn Resort last year. Definitly a nice place. Things are going better than our first attempt a few weeks ago. We've made it to Ruston,LA so far, will be heading to Athens, TX next.:)

dirt33
01-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Glad to hear Movin On! Hopefully you are having a nice time.