PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a 1/2 ton in the Rockies

Model A Driver
12-16-2015, 04:49 PM
I use a 2004 Ford F-150, Supercab, 4X4, 3.55 ratio with a 5.4 Triton. 141k miles. I pull a 2014 Bullet 272BHS weighing dry at 5050. Truck max is 8300.
Using a 20% buffer and allowing 750 to 1000 for us and extras it numerically seems ok. However, when I tow in the North Carolina mountains its 25mph and screaming.
Having this qualified let's fast forward to late 2016 when I retire and head west. Going up a taller mountain will be harder but going down may be worse. Has anyone had any trouble with a similar set up? It is and has always been a great truck but I questioning whether it would be better to trade up.
Any comments? Thanks

JRTJH
12-16-2015, 05:01 PM
We did much the same with a Dodge 3/4 ton towing a 20' travel trailer in the Rockies. It was first gear at 4000 RPM up the mountain and "ride the brakes" down the other side. When we could afford it, we bought a diesel (non-turbo) and had much the same experience at altitude. Once we upgraded to a turbo diesel, we never had any towing problems at any altitude.

If you want to stay with a half ton, Ford's EcoBoost (gas) or the RAM Ecodiesel would be exceptional choices for towing at altitude. Or, you could just "stay in the far right lane" and accept being passed by most everything on the highway while climbing the passes. Depending on how much "mountain climbing" you have planned, it may not be financially beneficial to upgrade "just for that one trip"... but if you're going to be "in the mountains" much at all, you may want to look at something (gas or diesel) with a turbo.

ImTravis
12-16-2015, 05:16 PM
I agree, if you're going to do a lot of mountain driving, upgrade to diesel. When I moved from California to Kentucky, I towed a 1500 lbs pop up behind my trailblazer, w/ 6000 cap. Normal roads, didn't even notice it was behind me. Coastal mountains, same. Hit the big mountains out of Bakersfield, and I could definitely feel it. If it's financially feasible, I'd upgrade to a 3/4 diesel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Model A Driver
12-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your reply. There will be many trips to the west including Rockies. Perhaps a drive to Alaska. The towing capacity for the Ram Eco Diesel was 7950 on the Ram website although I have seen claim of towing 10k. Due to larger frame and bigger brakes the 3/4 route appeals to me. I guess 12 years is a pretty good run for the Ford.

sourdough
12-16-2015, 05:34 PM
I think you're on the right path. I drive the Rockies all the time. A 1/2 ton pulling a trailer of any size is out of it's element there. I've seen many rigs over their head on Wolf Creek Pass and that's not where you want to be. The heavier 3/4 ton will give you better control and better braking - use the tranny. A diesel will give you the oomph to go up without blowing, or smoking, your engine. Good luck.

CaptnJohn
12-16-2015, 06:52 PM
I think you're on the right path. I drive the Rockies all the time. A 1/2 ton pulling a trailer of any size is out of it's element there. I've seen many rigs over their head on Wolf Creek Pass and that's not where you want to be. The heavier 3/4 ton will give you better control and better braking - use the tranny. A diesel will give you the oomph to go up without blowing, or smoking, your engine. Good luck.

In '83 or '84 I towed a 28' TT over Wolf Creek Pass with a Dodge Ramcharger powered by a 360.

When I hit the high altitude my truck was bogging down. I stopped at a Dodge dealership ~~ smallest dealer ever seen. The mechanic said he could tune it to run but when back in the flatlands it would need tuned again. He suggested putting diesel fuel in with every gas fill up. It worked! He said under load it would smoke and it did! Imagine what that would do to todays emission systems and injectors.

BirchyBoy
12-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your reply. There will be many trips to the west including Rockies. Perhaps a drive to Alaska. The towing capacity for the Ram Eco Diesel was 7950 on the Ram website although I have seen claim of towing 10k. Due to larger frame and bigger brakes the 3/4 route appeals to me. I guess 12 years is a pretty good run for the Ford.

Be sure you check the payload capacity of any 1/2 ton Dodge before you buy one. I have looked at several and the payload is generally between 1100 and 1300 lbs unless you get a stripped down basic truck. The Ecodiesel looks really good but it's wed to a underperforming chassis when compared to Ford or GM. My Grand Cherokee has an equal payload to a well equipped quad cab Ram 1500 which baffles my mind. I wish I were joking!

We pull a TT around 4,600lbs with our Hemi Grand Cherokee in the Denver area. The Hemi is an awesome motor and I bet it would work well in a 3/4 ton Dodge. Going with a turbo diesel would be awesome, but that's a lot of money for me. If you don't mind taking your time, a gasser should be more than enough for the TT you're pulling.

If you're going to upgrade in a couple years, then get more truck, though :)

gtsum2
12-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Agree on ram half tons. I had a 2013 Laramie and my payload sticker was 1061....embarrassing really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Festus2
12-16-2015, 10:16 PM
I've driven the Rockies on both sides of the border as well as in BC's mountains and I would not want to be towing your TT with an 11-year-old 1/2T with a 3.55 rear end and a 5.4L V-8. I can't speak for the mountains in North Carolina so I can't compare grades -- lengths and steepness of grades in particular.

I would suggest that your guesstimate of 750 lbs of all your camping stuff ( clothing, food, dishes, etc. etc.) is underestimated and the weight would be more like 1000+ lbs.

If, as you say, you'll be doing a fair amount of travelling out west and driving for part of that in the mountains, I'd be very tempted to seriously consider a TV upgrade.

Model A Driver
12-17-2015, 01:33 AM
We do travel light but maybe not that light. Good point. Looks like I start searching for a 3/4 ton turbo diesel. There is no guess work in that decision. Thanks to all that have contributed and anyone else that may later.

bsmith0404
12-17-2015, 03:59 AM
I've towed across the Rockies many times, many different types of trailers and several different TVs. IMO, the diesel is nice when going up, but the gas will do the job as long as you don't mind taking it slow and getting passed. The biggest difference is on the downhill run. The exhaust brake on the new diesels is worth every penny extra that you pay for the motor and transmission. You can't put a price on setting a speed and having the exhaust brake kick in and maintain it without having to touch the brakes. There are so many different areas from Roton Pass in NM, Donner Pass in northern CA, to Eisenhower Pass in CO that have some pretty long and steep downgrade runs, the exhaust brake will be your best friend and you will never question your decision to buy a new diesel.

old timer
12-17-2015, 05:08 AM
The newer trucks are so much easier to tow with because of advances in the electronics. Power and fuel economy have also improved. With that being said. I have retired and got a diesel because we are going to do a cross country trip. I live in Norcal and mountains are everywhere. It made sense to step up to the 3/4 ton for us. The power is incredible. truck pulls my 5th wheel and doesn't miss a beat

ncbound123
12-17-2015, 05:33 AM
Start looking at the "newer" used 3/4 ton trucks with the turbo diesel. If you play your cards right you can get a nice truck with most of the bells and whistles for a good price. When we picked up our 2009 Ram 2500 2.5 years ago it only had 74,000 miles on it and was just broken in good. Just keep searching and the truck is out there, you may have to travel a bit to get it but what you will save in money and towing aggravition is well worth the time spent. Just my .02 cents worth.

squeak93
12-17-2015, 06:19 AM
I went through the same debate 5 months ago. Had a very nicely optioned (loaded) 13 fx4 Ford with the 5.0 coyote and 3.55 gears. It pulled a 5-7k lb trailer in MO with ease however as you go up in elevation you loose efficiency (tow capacity) for each 1k above sea level. Going over Eisenhower Tunnel or Vail pass would equate me to a 3-4k lb travel trailer.

We choose to upgrade to a 15 Ram 2500 CTD (cummins). I am 150% happy with the trade. I ended up with a Tradesman line with the convenience package and a few nicer radio options (gave up Navigation/sunroof, leather etc) but am happy with the power etc now. We were able to purchase a much bigger/heavier trailer that fits our needs better than any of the ultra-lite small trailers that the half ton could pull.

And for the record I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 diesel trucks right now. Just buy the one with the looks and suspension (IFS or solid axle) you want.

Good Luck

gtsum2
12-17-2015, 06:24 AM
Agree there is no comparison coming down the mountain. Diesel exhaust brake is worth every penny of the extra 8k cost of the diesel. All of the big three diesel trucks r great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcg9381
12-17-2015, 07:49 AM
I owned that truck and regularly towed 6k with it (boat) frequently. Great truck, but it's going to slow in the hills. You can get it up the hill if you've got the fuel and you're willing to go slow enough.

Braking is the concern. Before you set out on that adventure with that truck, I'd do 3 things:
1) Make sure you have a very good brake controller.
2) Make sure the trailer bearings and brakes are in good shape and fully functional.
3) Check the truck brakes - you cannot ride the brakes down the mountains - you'll boil out the fluid. Understand how to brake on those steep grades and use lower gears. I'd also highly recommend a synthetic brake fluid - this is what we use in track cars and it will reduce the probability of brake fluid boil out, which is a total brake failure...

The 5.4L triton, like the V10 Triton, is made to pull RPM... So let it.

If I was going to buy a new truck and needed to stay 1/2 ton and tow in the mountains, my choices would be:
1) Ford Ecoboost F-150
2) Dodge Eco-diesel

Your 5.4L will be down to 65-70% power in the passes due to density altitude. Turbos compensate for that. Naturally aspirated motors cannot.

I noticed Nissan is coming out with a 1/2 ton diesel truck in 2016, 5.0L - bigger than the dodge ecodiesel motor... I think the 1/2 ton market needs more diesel options.

CaptnJohn
12-17-2015, 03:40 PM
If I was going to buy a new truck and needed to stay 1/2 ton and tow in the mountains, my choices would be:
1) Ford Ecoboost F-150
2) Dodge Eco-diesel

Your 5.4L will be down to 65-70% power in the passes due to density altitude. Turbos compensate for that. Naturally aspirated motors cannot.

100% on the For5d F150. I had a 2015 E-boost 6 and pulled a 7000# TT from the coast of NC to Asheville. Only down hill did it ever see 6th gear pulling. usually ran in 5th gear but dropped to 4th on hills while maintaining 60 - 65 mph. Sort of rural, not hwy, not city 22 - 23 mpg was common. Attach the TT and it dropped to 9.3. Once the decision was made to buy a new 5er an F250 diesel was purchased. Now getting around 11 mph towing 12000+#. Always use the 'tow/haul' when anything is attached.

old timer
12-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Elevation is not much of a factor with the newer trucks. The computers are so much better than just a few years ago. Pulling a boat with the F150 ecoboost is ok but even some boats can be a bit much for the brakes on that small of truck. When towing gas millage sucks with a gas truck. I get 14.8 towing my 14,000 lb 5th wheel. I havent really towed in the mountains yet but I bet I dont get to 10 MPG. You may think down the road when buying a truck because if you are like me I keep them forever. so if you upgrade to a bigger boat ot 5th wheel you may need more truck.

CaptnJohn
12-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Elevation is not much of a factor with the newer trucks. The computers are so much better than just a few years ago. Pulling a boat with the F150 ecoboost is ok but even some boats can be a bit much for the brakes on that small of truck. When towing gas millage sucks with a gas truck. I get 14.8 towing my 14,000 lb 5th wheel. I havent really towed in the mountains yet but I bet I dont get to 10 MPG. You may think down the road when buying a truck because if you are like me I keep them forever. so if you upgrade to a bigger boat ot 5th wheel you may need more truck.

I'm hoping my 2016 F250 towing about the same gets even near 14. Now getting almost 11. It only has 800 miles on it ~~ about 130 towing. So far all towing has been along the coast with no mountains, not even hills.

JRTJH
12-17-2015, 05:40 PM
I'm hoping my 2016 F250 towing about the same gets even near 14. Now getting almost 11. It only has 800 miles on it ~~ about 130 towing. So far all towing has been along the coast with no mountains, not even hills.

My fuel mileage is very much the same as yours. With about 1000 miles on the truck, we towed our Cougar XLite fifth wheel from Michigan west through several states, over the Rockies in Wyoming and then back over them in Colorado on the return leg. The XLite weighs about 9000 loaded for travel and we usually travel between 62-68 MPH. The average SOLO mileage is about 18 MPG and the average TOWING mileage for the nearly 8000 miles was 11.2 MPG.

I really don't expect to get much better since the truck is now over 10,000 miles and I think it's probably "broken in" and the mileage has "peaked"...

We have the 3.31 axle ratio and hardly ever drop out of 6th gear towing.

As a comparison, our 2013 F250 had the gas 6.2L with 3.73 axle ratios. We averaged around 15MPG SOLO and about 8.2 MPG TOWING with around 11000 miles towing and 14000 miles SOLO.

CaptnJohn
12-17-2015, 07:51 PM
My fuel mileage is very much the same as yours. With about 1000 miles on the truck, we towed our Cougar XLite fifth wheel from Michigan west through several states, over the Rockies in Wyoming and then back over them in Colorado on the return leg. The XLite weighs about 9000 loaded for travel and we usually travel between 62-68 MPH. The average SOLO mileage is about 18 MPG and the average TOWING mileage for the nearly 8000 miles was 11.2 MPG.

I really don't expect to get much better since the truck is now over 10,000 miles and I think it's probably "broken in" and the mileage has "peaked"...

As a comparison, our 2013 F250 had the gas 6.2L with 3.73 axle ratios. We averaged around 15MPG SOLO and about 8.2 MPG TOWING with around 11000 miles towing and 14000 miles SOLO.

I guess I'll be happy with 11 after reading your post. I have the same 3.31 and tow a Cougar about 11,500 - 12,000 loaded. Sadly, so far I have not happened upon a hill ~ forget mountain ~ and just under 11. Had hoped for a little more but it is what it is.

rjsurfer
12-18-2015, 01:31 AM
Upgrade to disc brakes, you won't need diesel engine braking. Cheaper than a new truck.

Ron W.

old timer
12-18-2015, 04:31 AM
Sorry guys I was wrong on my towing MPG's I get about 11.2 towing on the freeway. I set the cruise at 55 to 60. I never like to go faster than that just because the tires on my trailer are rated at 60 MPH. Unloaded I get 16 and sometimes 18 empty. but I usually go 75 LOL.If I go 65 I get about 20. My 03 Durango got 13 with the 5.9 V8.

gtsum2
12-18-2015, 04:48 AM
I get 10 towing 16500 over the last 5000 miles (in and out of the west va mountains). Sometimes as high as 12, sometimes as low as 7 (40mph headwinds in the midwest this past summer). It always seems to average out around 10 though. Empty I can get 21-22 pretty easily on the hwy

bsmith0404
12-18-2015, 04:49 AM

Sorry to say guys, you're not even close to being broken in yet. My truck peaked on fuel mileage when I hit 80k miles. I used to get 11-11.5 towing, jumped to 12-12.5 after I crossed 80k miles. At the rate you guys are going, you should be there in about 7 years :)

Upgrade to disc brakes, you won't need diesel engine braking. Cheaper than a new truck.

Ron W.

Sorry Ron, I could disagree more. When you have 15k lbs like I do, or even 8k lbs like you do, pushing you down a mountain pass, any feature that helps maintain control and safety is a welcome addition. When I can run the down side of a mountain pass and maintain speed with the exhaust brake without ever touching the brakes I know they will be there and work in an emergency. I've towed in the Rockies with a gas truck and agree proper brake management works, but there isn't any comparison to doing it with a diesel with an exhaust brake.

gearhead
12-18-2015, 06:57 AM
May I suggest that you and others learn from my mistakes. I had a GMC 2500 with a 6.0 gas with 3.73 rear end. Bought the Cougar X-Lite 28SGS. No issues with weights and no issues towing around coastal Texas. The first trip to the Smoky Mountains I decided "I don't like this". Foot to the floor, engine screaming, no momentum, getting passed going uphill, then re-passing the same ones later. When we got home we bought a Ford F350 diesel. Oh so easy towing. No stress. I actually pulled from Bristol TN to Houston in one sitting. Fast forward to...this is so easy, lets' upgrade to a Montana. Pin weight of 2175#. I thought no problem, I have 3265# payload. Wrong. By the time I load up, I'm over capacity. So now I'm trading again. I discovered Ford has the lowest payload capacity of the 3, with Dodge being highest. I have a Dodge 3500 SRW on order. This is the expensive lesson learned: GO BIG. If you think a 3/4 is enough, you may as well go 1 ton. That yellow payload sticker inside the truck door rules our world.

BirchyBoy
12-18-2015, 07:13 AM
May I suggest that you and others learn from my mistakes. I had a GMC 2500 with a 6.0 gas with 3.73 rear end. Bought the Cougar X-Lite 28SGS. No issues with weights and no issues towing around coastal Texas. The first trip to the Smoky Mountains I decided "I don't like this". Foot to the floor, engine screaming, no momentum, getting passed going uphill, then re-passing the same ones later. When we got home we bought a Ford F350 diesel. Oh so easy towing. No stress. I actually pulled from Bristol TN to Houston in one sitting. Fast forward to...this is so easy, lets' upgrade to a Montana. Pin weight of 2175#. I thought no problem, I have 3265# payload. Wrong. By the time I load up, I'm over capacity. So now I'm trading again. I discovered Ford has the lowest payload capacity of the 3, with Dodge being highest. I have a Dodge 3500 SRW on order. This is the expensive lesson learned: GO BIG. If you think a 3/4 is enough, you may as well go 1 ton. That yellow payload sticker inside the truck door rules our world.

Maybe you should take your own advice and get a DRW :)

JRTJH
12-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Sorry guys I was wrong on my towing MPG's I get about 11.2 towing on the freeway. I set the cruise at 55 to 60. I never like to go faster than that just because the tires on my trailer are rated at 60 MPH. Unloaded I get 16 and sometimes 18 empty. but I usually go 75 LOL.If I go 65 I get about 20. My 03 Durango got 13 with the 5.9 V8.

Those numbers are very much identical to mine. I can't prove it, but the more I read about the SuperDuty, from 99 to present, it seems that towing mileage is more a factor of wind resistance than of towing weight. You're almost 4000 pounds heavier than me and get almost the same mileage towing and solo. CaptnJohn is towing 12,000 and is in the same 11 MPG range. Most people I've talked to that tow with Ford diesels are getting right at 11 MPG towing a fifth wheel, doesn't much matter if it's a 7,000 pound or a 14,000 pound model. Seems that the frontal area/headwinds affect mileage more than the weight. There seems to be, from what I have read of owner's experiences, about a 1 MPG increase with people who tow a travel trailer when compared to people who tow a fiver (smaller frontal area).

At any rate, towing with a modern diesel is much more efficient (in MPG) than towing with a gas engine in the same size truck/trailer category. Even towing with my 93 NA 7.3L diesel was "effortless" as long as I was under about 5000 ft altitude. That poor diesel, above 9000 ft, worked it's "tail off" and we had to clean black soot from everything inside and outside the trailer after going over the pass at Albuquerque. It's pretty much a "moot point" now, but back then, as we pulled the pass, I think we might have been better off with a gas engine (similar loss of power at altitude) just because of the amount of soot we produced with that diesel "gasping for air" and burning so much fuel trying to make power. Today, I don't believe you can buy an automotive diesel without a turbo, so those days are behind us, thankfully !!!!!

And, bsmith0404, I completely agree with your assessment of the engine braking system. I was amazed that we "coasted from the Eisenhower tunnel into Denver" down some awfully steep grades, and I only tapped the brakes to slow down when traffic got in the way. Other than having to "brake for traffic" the engine/transmission kept us at the "cruise setting" all the way down the mountain. It was "comforting" to know that the truck/trailer brakes were there if I need them, and not overheated from trying to prevent a "runaway"... That feature, while not the "bestest" thing I like about my new diesel, is way up there on the list of "betterer than gas" by comparison LOL

JRTJH
12-18-2015, 07:39 AM
Maybe you should take your own advice and get a DRW :)

Or limit the "shoe closet" to directly over the axles ???????? :D

gearhead
12-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Or limit the "shoe closet" to directly over the axles ???????? :D
Ain't that the truth!

No, I don't want a dually. If the Ram payload is anywhere close to the 4300 they claim I will have plenty of leftover capacity. If not, dually it is I guess.

If I get a dually I might have to drive to Ontario Canada to find a carwash that will take dually's. Or wherever that guy was from that wanted to argue that his hometown carwashes would work. All in fun...

Denver Transplant
12-18-2015, 10:56 AM
We pull a 4800 pound (dry) Passport 2400BH with a 2012 Nissan Armada Platinum. The Armada is basically a 1/2 ton Titan with an SUV body. We do have the "big tow" package which is basically the low ratio rear end, a transmission cooler and the air life leveling system. The Armada is rated at 9500 pounds towing capacity.

I figure that with water and personal stuff we are pushing 5500-6000 pounds. . We've been over the tunnels on the 70 a couple times and found a few other pretty steep climbs (the pull up to Brainard Lake at 11,300 feet for example). I haven't been brave enough to tackle Berthoud Pass but it shouldn't be a problem just a long as you take it slow. Not sure about tackling Independence pass though.

We made it pretty well and can do 40 MPH+ approaching the tunnels with some periods of shifting down to 2nd, but mostly 3rd. Its nothing the Armada hasn't been able to handle, but you need some patience on the way up. Shift to 3rd on the way down and haven't had any significant braking issues. Milage sucks, but that's part of the price. We get 6-8 MPG on those major pulls and usually 10 MPG overall when towing.

Experience so far hasn't made me want to consider moving to a 3/4 ton or a diesel. I might be thinking differently in a few years after extended towing. Long term reliability is still to be determined.

larry337
12-18-2015, 02:01 PM
I always tell people just skip the 3/4 tons and get a one ton. Very little difference in price, ride, or fuel economy so no reason not to. The only reason I can think of is plate fees which vary by state. And BTW my dually fits in the local laser wash with no problem, just in case you change your mind again lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Javi
12-18-2015, 04:07 PM
I'll say this to that.... nothing beats A DRW diesel for towing. Quit fooling around and get you one.

chuckster57
12-18-2015, 05:15 PM
I'll say this to that.... nothing beats A DRW diesel for towing. Quit fooling around and get you one.

You got that right!!

michael_h
12-18-2015, 11:44 PM
If you are going to consider an Ecoboost F150, I recommend the max tow version. 2400 bed weight, 3.73 gear, 12K tow capacity, and all the bells and whistles for towing, I wish I would had thought about it a bit more when I bought my heavy duty version . . . I love my truck and it tows great thru the WV mountains . . . presently that's all the experience I have, IMO it's really a great truck without the 3/4 ton badging :)

bsmith0404
12-19-2015, 05:53 AM
CaptnJohn is towing 12,000 and is in the same 11 MPG range. Most people I've talked to that tow with Ford diesels are getting right at 11 MPG towing a fifth wheel, doesn't much matter if it's a 7,000 pound or a 14,000 pound model. Seems that the frontal area/headwinds affect mileage more than the weight. There seems to be, from what I have read of owner's experiences, about a 1 MPG increase with people who tow a travel trailer when compared to people who tow a fiver (smaller frontal area).

When I was transporting I towed pretty much everything you can think of. Winds definitely had more effect on fuel mileage than the weight of the trailer. I got 11.5-12.5 with 5th wheels regardless of size (11 with a bad headwind). TTs dropped me to the 11-12 range if they had the new aerodynamic front. If it was the squared off shoebox looking TT a strong headwind could drop me down to 10. Everyone I talked with in the transport industry pretty much said the same thing. The worst trailer I ever pulled was a 32' Octane TT, only time I ever experienced single digits while towing with my truck.

We pull a 4800 pound (dry) Passport 2400BH with a 2012 Nissan Armada Platinum. The Armada is basically a 1/2 ton Titan with an SUV body. We do have the "big tow" package which is basically the low ratio rear end, a transmission cooler and the air life leveling system. The Armada is rated at 9500 pounds towing capacity.

I figure that with water and personal stuff we are pushing 5500-6000 pounds. . We've been over the tunnels on the 70 a couple times and found a few other pretty steep climbs (the pull up to Brainard Lake at 11,300 feet for example). I haven't been brave enough to tackle Berthoud Pass but it shouldn't be a problem just a long as you take it slow. Not sure about tackling Independence pass though.

We made it pretty well and can do 40 MPH+ approaching the tunnels with some periods of shifting down to 2nd, but mostly 3rd. Its nothing the Armada hasn't been able to handle, but you need some patience on the way up. Shift to 3rd on the way down and haven't had any significant braking issues. Milage sucks, but that's part of the price. We get 6-8 MPG on those major pulls and usually 10 MPG overall when towing.

Experience so far hasn't made me want to consider moving to a 3/4 ton or a diesel. I might be thinking differently in a few years after extended towing. Long term reliability is still to be determined.

I'd say your experience would be somewhat typical of anyone towing a trailer with similar or less weight than the TV, when you step up to a trailer with significantly more weight than your TV everything changes. My 5er weighs 150% of my trucks weight. In that situation you NEED some serious braking ability in the mountains. Large 4 wheel disc is a good start, a diesel exhaust brake is a much better solution.

As for the Ecoboost, just something about having to use premium gas all of the time turns me off.

old timer
12-19-2015, 06:34 AM
I have the ecoboost in my Taurus SHO and love it, Problem with trucks is that they tow with them. I can take my car and climb hills or mountain passes without using the turbos. In a truck pulling a trailer its a different story. You will be into the turbos more because I don't think just going on motor has the power to pull without the added boost. I wonder how hot they get on a 1 mile climb towing a boat.

mazboy123
12-19-2015, 06:41 AM
done the NC mountains with gas and an '06 diesel chevy....diesel is the answer.

i'd say if price becomes an issue just buy an older model...they last forever!

gearhead
12-19-2015, 06:50 AM
I always tell people just skip the 3/4 tons and get a one ton. Very little difference in price, ride, or fuel economy so no reason not to. The only reason I can think of is plate fees which vary by state. And BTW my dually fits in the local laser wash with no problem, just in case you change your mind again lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well That changes everything! If I get a dually I don't have to drive to Ontario Canada (wherever that is) to wash it, I can just go to LaGrange Ohio (wherever that is) ! LOL
I live in a small town of 8,000, believe me there are no automatic car washes here that take a dually. Don't know why not, we have an above average count of rednecks, ranchers, and oilfield trash that drive duallys. The owner of the nicest automatic wash drives a dually. You would think....

Edit: I google mapped Lagrange....I'll check out your carwash about June 2. After Indy and a couple midget races, we're thinking about working our way to New York-New England. Which of those campgrounds on the shore Lake Erie is best...maybe around Ashtabula??
But we might change our minds....lol

Javi
12-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Well That changes everything! If I get a dually I don't have to drive to Ontario Canada (wherever that is) to wash it, I can just go to LaGrange Ohio (wherever that is) ! LOL
I live in a small town of 8,000, believe me there are no automatic car washes here that take a dually. Don't know why not, we have an above average count of rednecks, ranchers, and oilfield trash that drive duallys. The owner of the nicest automatic wash drives a dually. You would think....

Probably because most of us just wait for a rain to wash our dually trucks...... :D

But seriously... we don't have any automatic dually truck washes either but plenty of manual washes..

chuckster57
12-19-2015, 07:12 AM
I use my driveway, and the wife automatically figures I'm going to wash her Mariner too. LOL

JRTJH
12-19-2015, 07:17 AM
I have the ecoboost in my Taurus SHO and love it, Problem with trucks is that they tow with them. I can take my car and climb hills or mountain passes without using the turbos. In a truck pulling a trailer its a different story. You will be into the turbos more because I don't think just going on motor has the power to pull without the added boost. I wonder how hot they get on a 1 mile climb towing a boat.

From what I understand, the EcoBoost uses a Honeywell water cooled turbo and has an "water-siphon water cooling" process that kicks in at shutdown. Apparently it won't "coke the oil" like a conventional oil cooled turbo would. So, there's no requirement for a cool-down period after heavy turbo use.

You can find the article from Ford here: http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/ArticleArchives/Red-HotTortureNewEcoBoostEngine%E2%80%99sTurbochargers GlowinDurabilityTesting.aspx

Here's a part of the article: "The new EcoBoost V-6 uses two Honeywell GT15 water-cooled turbos. The EcoBoost engine uses passive thermal siphoning for water cooling,” Plagens explains. “During normal engine operation, the engine’s water pump cycles coolant through the center bearing. After engine shutdown renders the water pump inactive, the coolant flow reverses. Coolant heats up and flows away from the turbocharger water jacket, pulling fresh, cool coolant in behind. This highly effective coolant process is completely silent to the driver, continuing to protect the turbocharger.”

gearhead
12-19-2015, 07:31 AM
From what I understand, the EcoBoost uses a Honeywell water cooled turbo and has an "water-siphon water cooling" process that kicks in at shutdown. Apparently it won't "coke the oil" like a conventional oil cooled turbo would. So, there's no requirement for a cool-down period after heavy turbo use.

You can find the article from Ford here: http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/ArticleArchives/Red-HotTortureNewEcoBoostEngine%E2%80%99sTurbochargers GlowinDurabilityTesting.aspx

Here's a part of the article: "The new EcoBoost V-6 uses two Honeywell GT15 water-cooled turbos. The EcoBoost engine uses passive thermal siphoning for water cooling,” Plagens explains. “During normal engine operation, the engine’s water pump cycles coolant through the center bearing. After engine shutdown renders the water pump inactive, the coolant flow reverses. Coolant heats up and flows away from the turbocharger water jacket, pulling fresh, cool coolant in behind. This highly effective coolant process is completely silent to the driver, continuing to protect the turbocharger.”

Good idea Ford has there. I didn't know they were making Taurus SHO again. I was wondering if he was referring to the old original Yamaha engineered SHO. Or was it Mercury Marine???

JRTJH
12-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Good idea Ford has there. I didn't know they were making Taurus SHO again. I was wondering if he was referring to the old original Yamaha engineered SHO. Or was it Mercury Marine???

Yup, the SHO is available in the Taurus lineup. Standard Taurus engines are the 3.5L V-6 with optional 2.0L EcoBoost. The SHO comes with the 3.5L EcoBoost and optional upgraded "SHO performance package" with everything from 3.16 axles to AWD/larger brake calipers.

As for the "old Yamaha inspired" SHO, as "hot" as those engines were, Yamaha has a way of "tuning right to the point of failure" and trying to run their engines that way. With 2 Yamaha 4 cycle snowmobiles, one ATV and two marine engines, one a 2 cycle and the other a 4 cycle, I like Yamaha, but they just don't seem to last without a bit of "babying" on the maintenance.

Anyway, to answer, the "old SHO" was Yamaha and the SHO is still available, now inspired by Ford, not Yamaha.

michael_h
12-19-2015, 06:53 PM
As for the Ecoboost, just something about having to use premium gas all of the time turns me off.

Where does it say to use premium gas in an Ecoboost? Have I been misinformed for the last four years?

gearhead
12-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Yup, the SHO is available in the Taurus lineup. Standard Taurus engines are the 3.5L V-6 with optional 2.0L EcoBoost. The SHO comes with the 3.5L EcoBoost and optional upgraded "SHO performance package" with everything from 3.16 axles to AWD/larger brake calipers.

As for the "old Yamaha inspired" SHO, as "hot" as those engines were, Yamaha has a way of "tuning right to the point of failure" and trying to run their engines that way. With 2 Yamaha 4 cycle snowmobiles, one ATV and two marine engines, one a 2 cycle and the other a 4 cycle, I like Yamaha, but they just don't seem to last without a bit of "babying" on the maintenance.

Anyway, to answer, the "old SHO" was Yamaha and the SHO is still available, now inspired by Ford, not Yamaha.

We had a 1st generation Taurus, then later a 500 that morphed into Taurus. The current model is one good looking car. Looks like an Aston Martin or Jaguar to me. The SHO should run.
I'm babying my Yamaha 150HP 4 stroke outboard, and crossing my fingers. Just about to hit 100 hours and 3 years on it.

JRTJH
12-19-2015, 07:26 PM
We had a 1st generation Taurus, then later a 500 that morphed into Taurus. The current model is one good looking car. Looks like an Aston Martin or Jaguar to me. The SHO should run.
I'm babying my Yamaha 150HP 4 stroke outboard, and crossing my fingers. Just about to hit 100 hours and 3 years on it.

Ever since Ford bought Jaguar, I've said that the Taurus (500 when it was called that) looks like a Jaguar. Actually what I've said was that the Jaguar looks like a Taurus with a funny grill. Even now, after Ford sold Jag (but kept the good parts) the Taurus and Jag sedans are very similar in looks...

bsmith0404
12-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Where does it say to use premium gas in an Ecoboost? Have I been misinformed for the last four years?

I guess you don't have to run premium, that's just what Ford uses to get the horsepower and torque specs of 365 and 420 respectively for the 3.5 ecoboost. Although not every spec sheet shows it, they do have a few published with the 93 octane footnote.

As for the water cooled turbo, not sure how well it's working. I've been hearing a lot of info from a couple Ford technicians I know that they are experiencing several turbo failures around 60k miles.

old timer
12-20-2015, 06:37 AM
So far mine is good 66,000 miles. It gets up and goes when you need it too

bsmith0404
12-20-2015, 07:59 AM
Hope you continue to have good luck with it. I'm just going off what they are telling me. Apparently there are enough ecoboost turbo failures out there that they are noticing it as unusual in the shop. You can search the web as well, although I didn't see what I would consider excessive information, considering the number of these engines on the road, there does seem to be quite a few low mileage issues similar to what the techs I know are telling me.

GMcKenzie
12-20-2015, 08:44 AM
If you are going to consider an Ecoboost F150, I recommend the max tow version. 2400 bed weight, 3.73 gear, 12K tow capacity, and all the bells and whistles for towing, I wish I would had thought about it a bit more when I bought my heavy duty version . . . I love my truck and it tows great thru the WV mountains . . . presently that's all the experience I have, IMO it's really a great truck without the 3/4 ton badging :)

When I was looking, I couldn't find one with the Max Payload. Do you need the max payload to get 2400 lbs?

I went with GMC Sierra with 2015 payload and 10,800 towing cap. No fancy turbos. Tows fine, although I have not gone on a long trip yet.

michael_h
12-21-2015, 09:39 PM
When I was looking, I couldn't find one with the Max Payload. Do you need the max payload to get 2400 lbs?

I went with GMC Sierra with 2015 payload and 10,800 towing cap. No fancy turbos. Tows fine, although I have not gone on a long trip yet.

My dealer didn't have a max tow version on the lot when I bought either, but I have noticed here lately some are carrying maybe one unit.

Yes Heavy Duty Payload is 1465 pounds if I remember correctly, and only the Max Tow has the 2400 payload.

All I know is todays 1/2 ton trucks aren't our dads old trucks and all seem to have their pluses and minuses . . . but as long as they safely do the jobs we ask of them, and we're happy, who care the badging :)

larry337
12-22-2015, 09:12 AM
My dealer didn't have a max tow version on the lot when I bought either, but I have noticed here lately some are carrying maybe one unit.

Yes Heavy Duty Payload is 1465 pounds if I remember correctly, and only the Max Tow has the 2400 payload.

All I know is todays 1/2 ton trucks aren't our dads old trucks and all seem to have their pluses and minuses . . . but as long as they safely do the jobs we ask of them, and we're happy, who care the badging :)

Actually the Max Tow pkg and the Max Payload pkg are two separate options. The Max Tow pkg will give you roughly 12-1600 lbs of payload depending on the options and configuration, same as any F150, and it's not that hard to find. The Max PAYLOAD pkg is a rare bird, I've never actually seen one. There are a lot of ordering restrictions and it is only available with certain options and configurations. One feature of the the Max PAYLOAD option is a stronger 7 lug wheel. Even though it is advertised as up to 2400 lbs I'm guessing with options it would be closer to 2000, as always it just depends on the sticker in the door jamb.

goducks
12-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Either a GM or Ford 1/2 ton with 3.73 gears and a 6sp tranny will do fine. You 2004 5.4 is a dog compared to the newer 1/2 ton. the 3.55 gears don't help either. Everything on new 1/2 tons is way better than your 2004.
Your TT is what maybe 6000-6300lbs loaded? That's a good match for any Ford or GM with the max tow package. If you go Ford then go with the 3.5 EcoBoost 3.73 gears. Plenty of low end tq and with the turbos you'll have no power drop in higher elevations.
You need to look for a Ford F150 with the Max Tow option. If you're ordering one then that's simple. Finding one on a dealers lot could be tricky. I was lucky enough to fine a 2010 F150 Max Tow a few years back I towed a 31' 7300lb loaded TT with it. Had zero issues in 5-6000' El. Just needed to rev it out to 3400 rpms which is the sweet spot. Once on level ground it stayed in 5th or 6th.
Yes a 3/4 ton would be better, but not really needed. Where do you stop. You always get the guys that say get a 3/4 ton, then next it's why not just get a 1 ton for $800 more. Then here comes the DRW guys. Really?
You're not towing anything of significance so stay with a higher payload rated 1/2 ton. I'm not sure what GM is offering in the higher payload options, so that's something to checkout. Rams are pathetic for payload so don't go there.
I just know from reading on RV forums for the last 5 years that there's lots of happy F150 3.5 EB owners towing 6000lb TT's.
Also the newer 2015-2016 F150's have even higher payload capacities.

JRTJH
12-22-2015, 10:45 AM
According to the Ford website, here's the "scoop" on the F150 Heavy Duty Payload and Max Towing packages:

Heavy Duty Payload is only available on the regular cab and supercab 8' bed models. It is only available on the supercrew if you also order the 6.5' bed. It's not available with the 8' or 5.5' bed supercrew models and costs $1695.
Heavy Duty Payload Package Includes:

• 3.73 Electronic-locking rear axle
• 9.75-inch gearset
• Upgraded springs and auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• XL: 17-inch Silver Steel Wheels
• XLT/LARIAT: 18-inch Silver Aluminum Wheels

When you select the HD Payload package, the Max Trailer Tow Package comes up as "automatically included". If added as a separate option without the HD Payload, it costs $1195 and Max Trailer Tow Package includes:

• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper

The 3.55 E-lock rear axle is changed to a 3.73 E-lock rear axle with the HD Payload package.

Ford offers three "tow packages", the standard towing package, the heavy duty towing package and the Max Tow package. They are distinctly different !!!

larry337
12-22-2015, 02:21 PM
According to the Ford website, here's the "scoop" on the F150 Heavy Duty Payload and Max Towing packages:

Heavy Duty Payload is only available on the regular cab and supercab 8' bed models. It is only available on the supercrew if you also order the 6.5' bed. It's not available with the 8' or 5.5' bed supercrew models and costs $1695.
Heavy Duty Payload Package Includes:

• 3.73 Electronic-locking rear axle
• 9.75-inch gearset
• Upgraded springs and auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• XL: 17-inch Silver Steel Wheels
• XLT/LARIAT: 18-inch Silver Aluminum Wheels

When you select the HD Payload package, the Max Trailer Tow Package comes up as "automatically included". If added as a separate option without the HD Payload, it costs $1195 and Max Trailer Tow Package includes:

• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper

The 3.55 E-lock rear axle is changed to a 3.73 E-lock rear axle with the HD Payload package.

Ford offers three "tow packages", the standard towing package, the heavy duty towing package and the Max Tow package. They are distinctly different !!!

That's what I was trying to say but didn't feel like looking it up. :D:D

Good job (tx) (But "if" I were to knitpick I would say the supercrew is not available with an 8' bed ;) )

If I were to buy an F150 I would order one with both HD Payload and HD towing. Combined with the EcoBoost that would be a very capable half ton truck!

JRTJH
12-22-2015, 04:27 PM
That's what I was trying to say but didn't feel like looking it up. :D:D

Good job (tx) (But "if" I were to knitpick I would say the supercrew is not available with an 8' bed ;) )

If I were to buy an F150 I would order one with both HD Payload and HD towing. Combined with the EcoBoost that would be a very capable half ton truck!

OOPS Good catch !! I should have typed (meant to say) "It's only available on the regular cab and supercab 8' bed models. It is only available on the supercrew if you also order the 6.5' bed. It's not available with the 5.5' bed supercrew models."

I agree with you, if I were in the market for an F150, probably the only options I'd "insist" it have are the HD payload, Max Towing and EcoBoost 3.5. All the rest that I would want (for towing) is pretty much "standard equipment" and comes with either the XLT (cloth seats) or Lariat (leather seats) with seat covers being the major deciding factor..... Of course, as with any truck with a "max GVW" all the additional options add weight to the truck curb weight and decrease the payload, which, for me would make the XLT more attractive (not to mention the added cost of the Lariat)...

It's interesting to note that Ford specifies the 17" wheels on the XL model are 7 lug steel, but doesn't give any indication if the 18" aluminum wheels on the XLT and higher optioned trucks are 6, 7 or possibly 8 lug wheels. My guess would be they are the same 6 lug as other optional wheels, but only a guess. I suppose I might ask the next time I'm at the Ford dealer, that is unless I get sidetracked talking about "aftermarket antifreeze" that meets the Ford Orange criteria.... Why do they have to do that to us??????? LOL

It's interesting to note that the "trailer backing system" is described by Ford as an "assist for the occasional trailer towing owner" and is only available with the HD towing package (mid level towing) but is not available with the HD towing package. I suppose (my guess) that Ford believes anyone who would buy a Max Towing package would tow their trailer often enough to not need a "knob on the dash" to back their trailer ??? <purely my speculation>

ADDED: I believe, based on what I can find on the Ford.com website, the HD Payload package on the XLT comes with "increased load aluminum wheels" and that also "upgrades" the tires to "LT275/65R18C OWL All-Terrain Tires" If I'm reading that correctly, Ford changes the tires from "P" series to "LT" series, but they are (from what I see) 6 ply rated "C" tires rather than "D" or "E" (8 or 10 ply)... Except for the "sidewall rigidity" it seems almost like that's a "step down" in tires.... Hmmmmm ????
I also think I'd "insist" on the 36 gallon "extended range" tank, even though it's an added weight and costs $375 more...

larry337
12-22-2015, 05:00 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here are the HD wheels right out of the brochure. I think the HD Payload pkg gets looked over by consumers for a lot of reason's, one most people aren't even aware of it, two is all the restrictions and compatibility, third is the requirement for the 8' bed in a supercab and a 6.5' bed in a supercrew. People like a half ton because its smaller so forcing them to the long bed would just make them consider a 3/4 ton.

I had to edit my post because after looking at the uploaded picture it doesn't show the detail very well. The wheel on the left is the 7 lug 17 inch steel HD wheel and the one on the right is the 6 lug 18 inch HD aluminum wheel. Go to the actual brochure for a better picture.

michael_h
12-22-2015, 06:57 PM
it's all confusing till you figure it out

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2012/12_F150_SB.pdf

slow
12-22-2015, 07:01 PM
I considered buying a HD Payload F150 EB supercrew, but found that they were hard to come by forcing a factory order and no discounting. The F250 gasser on the lot was cheaper and is more capable for towing. In the end, since our TV is not a daily driver, we went with the F250 and have no regrets. I like having our TV weigh more than our loaded TT.

mfifield01
12-22-2015, 07:15 PM
I would think you could probably get an F250 for not much more than a special edition F150, since the discounts wouldn't apply. Right now, it's about 12k off an F250 around here.

Definitely stay away from GM products.

Festus2
12-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Definitely stay away from GM products.

My brother-in-law's second cousin told me the same thing. :rolleyes:

mfifield01
12-22-2015, 07:49 PM
My brother-in-law's second cousin told me the same thing. :rolleyes:
My comment is in relation to the 1/2 tons. I don't know much about the 3/4 or 1 tons.

The 5.3l is a weak motor and in about 75% of them. I had a rental in Denver and it struggled to pull itself around. It was so bad, that I popped the hood thinking it had the V6 or small V8.

GMcKenzie
12-23-2015, 08:20 AM
The 2014-2015 5.3L are a decent motor when matched to the 6 speed. 355 Hp and 383 torque. Not the same as my last diesel, but a good setup for pulling my trailer (8,200 lbs loaded) and still use as a DD.

Pricing and discounts on the Sierra made it a bunch cheaper than a 2500, and the 6.0L is in need of a refresh.

Anyway, rated for 10,800 and over 2K payload, so I've got no issues with my GMC.

JRTJH
12-23-2015, 09:04 AM
In response, I drive a Ford diesel, having previously towed with a Ford F150 and a Ford F250 gas engine. I would say that all three have a "niche" on the market for some types of towing, but none of them are going to fill every garage, since they all have different types of towing and different features that set them apart from each other.

That said, just yesterday I was reading an article about the "GM response to Ford's EcoBoost" and how well it is performing. The article was very positive not only in describing the towing performance, but also durability and acceptance by the public. It seems GM isn't going the "turbo route" with their "current generation gas engines", but they still offer a very competitive response to Ford's technology. It seems the public agrees as sales have improved since introduction of the EcoTec engine options. The 5.3L produces 355 HP and 383 TQ. Not at all shabby for a small V8. Towing is rated up to 11,100 pounds, so the 1500 series directly competes with the F150 in towing capability. At any rate, the current truck's ratings are "head and shoulders" better than the same series 5 or 10 years ago. How it "gets there" is a different technology which some will "like" and others will "dislike". That's pretty much why there's still more than one brand of truck.

There are some people who "shy away" from turbocharging just as there are some who are "drawn to" the technology. To each his own, there's enough room in the marketplace for both types of power plants.

I suppose there are features in every truck line that owners and future owners (as well as past owners) would consider as "the reason" they chose their specific truck just as there are those who have "the reason" they chose NOT to buy a specific truck. Thankfully, we live in a world filled with choices.

sarossi14
12-23-2015, 07:23 PM
This has been an interesting read all the way through. Thought I would offer my 2cents from my real world experience.

I have a 2015 F150 FX4 package, 3.5 ecoboost, super crew with the heavy tow package, e-lock rear axle with 3.55 gears, hill descent option with the 5.5 box. The truck is rated to tow 10400lbs. I tow a 3220 Passport, empty weight 6050lbs, I figure everything loaded in the trailer it is around 7000lbs. Keep in mind in the truck, there is me, wife, 2 kids and an Australian Shepherd.

All that being said the truck pulls the trailer no problem, doesn't feel like anything is behind you. I average 21 L/100km when I am towing and 11.5 L/100km as a daily driver.

Yes I wanted a diesel, but there has been a few times I have been glad I had a shorter truck. It drives nice, comfortable and lots of room in side. I have been really impressed with how it handles.

Adam
2014 Passport 3220BHS
2015 F150 Eco Boost

Festus2
12-23-2015, 07:42 PM
. I average 21 L/100km when I am towing and 11.5 L/100km as a daily driver.

Adam
2014 Passport 3220BHS
2015 F150 Eco Boost

Adam -
I think you may have reversed your towing and DD figures...????? :confused:

sarossi14
12-23-2015, 08:31 PM
My calculations are correct for how many litres used for 100km, but the conversion is as follows 11.2mpg towing and 20.5 mpg daily driver.

Adam
2014 Passport 3220BHS
2015 F150 Eco Boost

Festus2
12-23-2015, 08:42 PM
My calculations are correct for how many litres used for 100km, but the conversion is as follows 11.2mpg towing and 20.5 mpg daily driver.

Adam
2014 Passport 3220BHS
2015 F150 Eco Boost

Adam -
This makes much more sense now. Your first post had these figures reversed. :D

bsmith0404
12-24-2015, 02:42 AM
His figures are not reversed, they show how much gas used for every 100 km driven. 21 liters used per 100 km when towing and 11.5 liters used per 100 km when empty. He is using 9.5 more liters of fuel for every 100 km driven when towing than when empty. Just a different way of looking at mileage.

Festus2
12-24-2015, 09:20 AM
His figures are not reversed, they show how much gas used for every 100 km driven. 21 liters used per 100 km when towing and 11.5 liters used per 100 km when empty. He is using 9.5 more liters of fuel for every 100 km driven when towing than when empty. Just a different way of looking at mileage.

My bad. :o

studentofbudo
12-31-2015, 08:01 AM
I would love to have a diesel, however, for 1/5 the cost, I was able to upgrade my 70 GMC K1500. But, in fairness, I'm also not pulling a 5th wheel either. I built a 383ci (6.3L) with a torque rating of 420ft.lb at 3200, TH400, a gear vendors gear splitter, a 3/4 ton rear end with 4.56 gears and disk brakes. with the splitter it's at 2400 at 65 (35" tires). Im also too attached to my pickup to get rid of it and buy a new one.. haha.

out of all the diesel trucks I have looked at, I've determined you have to really look at what your wanting. Max payload = cummins; comfort = duramax; comprise of both = powerstroke. Granted, this is really only based on the maximum spectrum of each category, and is only my opinion :-). Personally, a duramax, I'm hoping will be in my future when I hit the retiring age. lol.

Desert185
12-31-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm a simple guy. I bought a used Dodge Laramie SLT, Quad cab, Cummins, lever actuated 4WD, stick, leather, seat heat, 8' bed, exhaust brake. Tows the trailer well and it gets a hand-calculated 20-21 MPG solo...and I can work on it...when and if it needs it...for a whole lot less than a 1/2 ton EcoBoost.

Diesel or gas, I like the mountains and have been running turbo's since 1980 without ANY turbo issues. Turbo's (and exhaust brakes) are the way to go when the elevation goes up (and then down again).

Maybe I'm just simple-minded, but it works for me. :cool:

GMcKenzie
12-31-2015, 11:19 AM
My bad. :o

And you're a Canadian to boot....

:)

Model A Driver
01-13-2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks to everyone again due to the newer posts. Many new ideas but confirmations that my beloved F150 has to be replaced. The boss lady has given her blessings.

dcg9381
01-13-2016, 05:44 PM
Maybe I'm just simple-minded, but it works for me. :cool:

I don't think you're simple minded, but you can't get the torque output in the manual anymore...

BlueThunder34
01-23-2016, 06:38 AM
We tow ours (7,000lbs wet) with a 2014 F-150 Max tow Ecoboost with 3.73's over many steep passes and altitudes with no issues whatsoever. As some have mentioned already the new 1/2 tons are not the same as the previous generations. Depending on your payload needs the new 1/2 tons are more than capable of safely handling many lightweight trailers.

nellie1289
01-30-2016, 04:45 PM
We tow ours (7,000lbs wet) with a 2014 F-150 Max tow Ecoboost with 3.73's over many steep passes and altitudes with no issues whatsoever. As some have mentioned already the new 1/2 tons are not the same as the previous generations. Depending on your payload needs the new 1/2 tons are more than capable of safely handling many lightweight trailers.

Blue thunder, what is your typical mileage towing with your setup? reason I ask is I have a buddy with similar rig and he is considering upgrading to diesel but would be interested in mileage of yours first if it is hauling it ok.

BlueThunder34
02-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Blue thunder, what is your typical mileage towing with your setup? reason I ask is I have a buddy with similar rig and he is considering upgrading to diesel but would be interested in mileage of yours first if it is hauling it ok.

I average about 10mpg while towing, sometimes a little better and sometimes a little worse depending on conditions but I would say 10mpg is average.

We don't carry a lot, I usually carry about 1/2 tank fresh water for travel restroom stops, myself (180lbs), wife (110lbs don't tell her I put her weight on here!), 3 young kids, scooters and small bicycles.

I have also found the trans braking in the tow haul mode far superior to my 2014 RAM 1500 that I traded for this truck to get higher payload. We can come down Blewett Pass is Washington about 4,500ft and barely need to apply the brakes as the trans downshifts to hold us between 55 and 60mph. We have been very happy with our setup especially once I replaced the "P" tires with "E" load tires, I know this does not affect payload ratings but it def gets rid of the marshmellow feeling of passenger tires.

TonyCO
02-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Same story for me. 2014 Ecoboost Max Tow with 3:73. Same MPG as you with two kids and a dog. I literally don't carry anything in the bed of my truck when towing and feel really safe with our set up. Still have the stock P tires, but changing them out for some LT's before this season. Glad to hear it made a difference for you Blue, hoping the same for me.

BirchyBoy
02-01-2016, 12:43 PM
I average about 10mpg while towing, sometimes a little better and sometimes a little worse depending on conditions but I would say 10mpg is average.

We don't carry a lot, I usually carry about 1/2 tank fresh water for travel restroom stops, myself (180lbs), wife (110lbs don't tell her I put her weight on here!), 3 young kids, scooters and small bicycles.

I have also found the trans braking in the tow haul mode far superior to my 2014 RAM 1500 that I traded for this truck to get higher payload. We can come down Blewett Pass is Washington about 4,500ft and barely need to apply the brakes as the trans downshifts to hold us between 55 and 60mph. We have been very happy with our setup especially once I replaced the "P" tires with "E" load tires, I know this does not affect payload ratings but it def gets rid of the marshmellow feeling of passenger tires.

Same story for me. 2014 Ecoboost Max Tow with 3:73. Same MPG as you with two kids and a dog. I literally don't carry anything in the bed of my truck when towing and feel really safe with our set up. Still have the stock P tires, but changing them out for some LT's before this season. Glad to hear it made a difference for you Blue, hoping the same for me.

Did either of you get the Max Payload package as well as Max Towing?

BlueThunder34
02-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Mine is not a "Max Payload" those are very elusive to find, I have not seen one in person. My yellow sticker on the door is 1780lbs. for payload.

BlueThunder34
02-01-2016, 02:02 PM

I think you will be very happy with the change in tires. I went with the 285/65/18 BFGoodrich K/O2's and it is night and day difference. I keep them at 48psi when not towing and air them up to 65psi when towing or heavy loads. Nice quiet tire on the highway, comfortable/smooth ride for a E tire and no real loss of MPG from the heavier weight. They are not cheap ($1,200 out the door at Discount Tire) but worth it to us.

TonyCO
02-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Mine is Max Tow only. I wanted a FX4, so all the bells and whistles add up to no heavy payload option. I think my yellow sticker is 1657 payload. I would love a Power Stroke, but the only time this thing is used like a truck is when we camp, otherwise around town daily driver.

Blue I am thinking about 285 as well. Any different look or is it negligible? Any rubbing at full turn?

BlueThunder34
02-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Blue I am thinking about 285 as well. Any different look or is it negligible? Any rubbing at full turn?

I think it looks better than the stock size, not much different but adds just a little "beefier" look to the truck. No rubbing whatsoever, nowhere near any issues with clearances. If I get out of the office before dark I will take a pic and post

BlueThunder34
02-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Here are some pics of my truck with the 285's9966

TonyCO
02-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Here are some pics of my truck with the 285's9966

Thank you for the responses. I checked your trailer out and it looks like we basically have the same set up. I've been thinking about 285/65/18 and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of Michelin LTX/AT. Good looking truck.

GMcKenzie
02-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Question for you 2. What do you think the payload would be if you had the max payload option?

Before I bought my GMC, I looked at the Fords but could not find a max tow and max payload, so I went with GM. Payload is 2015.

Also thinking of "E" tires. Have ~2,500 kms on the Goodyears that came with the truck (before putting snows on) and not sure if I am going to switch in the spring. Plus my snows are on black rims and I prefer the look so I might be talking new rims and tires.......

TonyCO
02-02-2016, 03:42 PM
I know the 2014 heavy payload brought the GVWR up to 8,200lbs. My sticker says 7650 GVWR. Exact payload is dependent on the options. Basically it was available with XL and XLT models. Actually I think there was a way to get it with the Lariat, but it was as basic as could be. I'm not sure about the new models.

BlueThunder34
02-02-2016, 06:20 PM
If I remember correctly I believe there is a member who has this package on an XLT trim and his sticker says 2,200 for payload. But like has already been said trim and options will affect this number.