PDA

View Full Version : flipped my p/u onto it's side

Ken / Claudia
12-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Thought I would share what happened and I learned a few things. 1st there were 2 of us in my truck either got hurt.
We were elk hunting last week of Nov. in Eastern Or. near both Wa and Id state borders. Below freezing most of the time lowest was 2 degrees high was 30 at 7am. We stayed at a ranch and needed to drive to another area to hunt. On the 5th day and another 5-6 inches of snow, I was driving on a flat part of the gravel road and going to go thru a 90 degree turn. I was going around 25-30mph. I touched the brakes to slow before the turn and the rear slid, I got off the brakes and turned into the turn. I had been driving in 4x4 all week, at times in low range, low gear. The truck slid across the road and went into the ditch. I stomped on the throttle to maybe get back into the road. The truck slowed and tipped into the drivers side and slid only about 1 ft according to the scrapes.
We tried to get out thru the passenger side doors but, they would not open. I found out they would open but, were to heavy to push upwards. We got thru a open window. A family of loggers came by going to work and got their tractor to pull the truck upright. I found the steering and brakes were not working but, the engine ran fine. The power steering cap had came off and the fluid drained out onto the front brake. I wiped off the brake and added oil to the power steering. The front tire was flat. I put on the spare. I drove back to the ranch and the truck drove fine. The tire had popped off the rim and was fixed. I drilled and screwed the drivers side mirror back onto the mount. After testing the truck around the ranch, I drove it about 325 miles home the next day. The Ins co. checked it out and found the front fender, driver door need replaced the rest of the left side needs new paint. It was one of those times that only driving slower may have prevented the crash but, that road was all snow covered ice and maybe only at 15-20mph would have been safe. Thru out the week at times 10mph was as fast as I would drive. Words of advice, really try not to panic. Learn if anyone is hurt. Turn off the engine and find a way out. I wanted to get out on the upper side in case it was going to flip over into the top, I did not want to be under it.

BirchyBoy
12-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Glad you're ok. Having put a car on its side before, it can be pretty scary.

old timer
12-13-2015, 05:01 AM
I did the same to my 59 chevy. I was living in Idaho and there they use oil to keep the dust down on dirt roads. I was driving down the oily road and trying to avoid the oil. There are washouts on each side of the road. I lived in the country so the ditches aren't made like in the mid west. There were bolder's and big rocks in the ditch. Anyway I was going down the road and avoiding oil when I got to a place where the oil was every where. I got as close to the ditch as I could to stay out of the oil. I was going about 3 MPH then all of a sudden I could feel the truck slip into the ditch. It was like slow motion. The truck landed on its side. I wasn't far from home and I was on a beer run so I had a couple 12 packs in the truck. No I wasn't drinking. LOL I was putting the beer on the outside of the up door when a neighbor stopped to see if I wanted some help. How embarrassing LOL. went home called tow truck to pull truck out of the ditch. The motor smoked a little but it ran fine.

hankaye
12-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Howdy All;

While driving fro a living I hauled Hazwaste, not as nasty as it sounds, but
you still need to be "on your toes".
I had a load, 47 pounds of extremely LOW level radioactive liquid to be
used to calibrate measuring instruments (or so I was told). It was packed in
one of those Yellow fiberglass foam filled boxes with cutouts for 2 each 1 (one),
Liter beakers each 1/2 full, strapped to a small pallet and secured to the floor
dead-center in the trailer.
I had gone from the SW corner of Ohio to the SE corner of WY without an incident
and was driving West on I-80 about 30 West of Laramie, I turned on the radio (FM),
and there was a High wind warning (:eek:). I started to look for a place to exit
to wait the winds out. Your get told many times not to pull over and
park on the shoulders so I was looking for an exit. topped a hill and at the
bottom was an exit (yea!!!), the shoulders on both the on and off ramps
were full of trucks that had gotten there first so, as I passed by I felt a
heavy shudder and when I checked my driver's side mirror I saw what
any driver does not want to see, the back end of my trailer lifting and rolling
to the curbside ... snap-roll entire tractor-trailer unit onto
curbside! this is as I am crossing the overpass of the exit. The trailer caught
on the railing and the entire unit slid to the end of the overpass and came to
rest at the end of the railing.
I had slowed down prior to hearing the warning as slower speed helps
you handle the trailer in the wind, so, when I flipped I wasn't going more
than 50 mph or so. On the bright side, I wasn't injured (other than my
pride), and I had the best witness one could ask for, a Wy. State Trooper,
he had been sitting in the median facing in my direction doing radar.
That same day there were several other Big rigs blown over and a few
RV as well.

Moral of the story, whenever the road conditions deteriorate speed becomes
your enemy.

hankaye

ImTravis
12-13-2015, 07:40 AM
Glad to hear you're okay, sorry to hear about the learned lesson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk