PDA

View Full Version : Slideout problem

darrylwt
12-10-2015, 06:43 AM
I have a 2015 Montana HC 305RL and the super slide with the table and the theater chairs are, when I move the slide in or out the inter wall moves about 2” back and forth as I move the slide only on one side. Anyone else have this issue?

JRTJH
12-10-2015, 06:58 AM
I think you are saying that the inside part of the trailer wall (NOT the slide wall) is moving in about 2" when you pull your slide in for travel? If that is what you're saying, then NO, that's not normal. The trailer wall is constructed (from outside to inside) of a FILON panel, luan backer board (1 or 2 layers depending on trailer model) aluminum frame, foam insulation and interior paneling (luan). This structure is "vacuum bonded" during the "foam curing process" and becomes "one unit". If the interior paneling on your trailer is "pulling inward" with the slide, the interior wall panel has delaminated from the structure and the mechanical friction of the slide pushing against the rubber wiper seals is pulling the luan away from the trailer wall structure.

Since your RV is a 2015, I'd guess you're still in warranty. You need to have your dealership inspect and repair your trailer. It's very possible that the problem was caused by the slide not being positioned in the center of the slide cutout area. If it was mounted a bit too far forward or aft, it may be contacting the trailer wall causing the damage. At any rate, you should get it to the dealership for repair. Don't delay, getting an appointment and approval for repairs during the warranty period is important !!!

darrylwt
12-10-2015, 07:31 AM
Yes you are right the inside wall of the trailer is moving next to the right side of the slideout but I haven’t looked outside to see if the outside wall is moving at the same time then I guess that will tell me if the wall has come apart or the wall mounting has come lose.

JRTJH
12-10-2015, 07:50 AM
Yes, that's correct. And, if both the inside wall and the outside wall are moving, then the aluminum framework has come apart and definitely requires a trip to the dealership!!!!!

darrylwt
12-10-2015, 08:35 AM
Yes, defiantly I think if the wall is moving inside and outside is an easier fix then the wall coming apart hopefully. However, I have another issue for the dealership to evaluate. The vinyl floor is coming lose also and bubbling up in spots like there was not enough glue applied. Maybe I got a lemon.

JRTJH
12-10-2015, 09:37 AM
The vinyl flooring is only attached around the perimeter. It is "free floating" other than at the edges, so it probably just needs to be repositioned and restapled at the edges.

As for "maybe I got a lemon", probably not. As with any new construction, whether it's a "stick built house" a manufactured home or a travel trailer/motorhome, there will be problems identified. The purpose of your warranty is to repair those things that don't work properly or that malfunction.

If there were never any problems expected, there wouldn't be a need for a warranty. Accept the fact that things need repair and let your dealership fix them, then get back to camping. All the worry and fretting in the world won't make it better, but contacting your dealer and giving him the opportunity to make it right will resolve your problems.

Good Luck

darrylwt
12-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your help! I bought it used it was only 3 months old and didn't think I had the warranty so I called Keystone and they said the Vin# was still under warranty so I hope a dealer won't mess me around but I am going to talk to them tomorrow in person. When I bought it I checked it over close and it didn't have these issues.

gearhead
12-10-2015, 04:21 PM
How much movement do you estimate is taking place, 1 inch, 2 inches, or 1/2 inch?
Have you seen any separation near the roof or at floor level?
Please keep us posted.

darrylwt
12-11-2015, 07:33 AM
It’s about a 1” at least but I haven’t had a chance to get someone to watch the outside to see if the wall is moving or is it is separation in the wall and I haven’t looked at the roof area because as I looked up the inside wall the movement decreased as I looked at the mounting plate I am going to look at it more today.

sourdough
12-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Can you use your remote so that you can move the slide and watch the wall?

As has been said, what you describe is not normal and it sounds like you need to make an appointment at the dealer....sooner than later; you DO NOT want the warranty to expire. Even though it was used I would hope that the selling dealer is able to do Keystone warranty work.

darrylwt
12-12-2015, 06:32 AM
I do not have a remote so I used the next best thing and got a friend to open and close the slide out when I was out side. This is what is going on the wall moves inside and outside only at the bottom of the where the slide is. The slide out works great no side-to-side movement smooth but the trailer wall moves about a 1” to 2” just at the bottom where the floor is so I suspect something came lose at the wall and floor I would need to pull off the pan under the trailer to see anything.

JRTJH
12-12-2015, 07:42 AM
I would urge you not to take it apart to see what is damaged. Doing so may well void your warranty. As a "second owner" your warranty should have been transferred to you by the dealer or through documentation with Keystone. While this transfer will protect you, if you do anything that might indicate your action "damaged" the trailer, then the warranty may be voided, leaving you with the expense for repairs.

Contact the dealership, inform them of what is happening, make an appointment to have the trailer inspected by the dealer and let them process the warranty with Keystone and repair the trailer.

Anything you do to disassemble or remove components to "have a look" can potentially cause you problems "down the line"...

Let the dealership handle this one !!!!!

chuckster57
12-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Removing the underbelly probably won't reveal much. Your going to see frame and bottom of floor. The walls are set on top of the floor.

I hope your dealer steps up and gets this warranty authorized. I'm betting the slide will have to be removed.

darrylwt
12-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Thanks I am not going to try to fix it I will let the dealer deal with it, beside the slide issue I have the floor issue too.

darrylwt
12-12-2015, 08:37 AM
I made an appointment to take my trailer in I will let you all know what the out come is. Thanks for your help

gearhead
12-14-2015, 04:26 PM
I would suggest you communicate with the dealer by email as much as possible. Obviously keep the emails. Be sure you summarize and confirm any verbal conversations with an email. Get the email address of the dealers service manager and "cc" him as well. If the excretement hits the ventilator you will want the email records.
Please keep us posted.

omextreme
12-30-2015, 09:56 PM
VERY interesting, Mine sort of failed in the same way. I wonder if my wall was moving prior to the wall separating. My unit is also a 2015 montana HC. My wall failed at the front of the main slide. I will be following your progress, mine is also at the shop......

http://i67.tinypic.com/b5hf0g.jpg

darrylwt
01-27-2016, 12:54 PM
VERY interesting, Mine sort of failed in the same way. I wonder if my wall was moving prior to the wall separating. My unit is also a 2015 montana HC. My wall failed at the front of the main slide. I will be following your progress, mine is also at the shop......

http://i67.tinypic.com/b5hf0g.jpg

That is the same slide out as mine the left side out and in the front next to the hutch.

What did you find out about that I was on the road and haven't taken mine in but yours looks a lot more then mine is moving.

dcg9381
01-27-2016, 03:13 PM
I'd have that looked at quick. You can follow the continuing saga on this thread:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24177

darrylwt
02-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Well my trailer went into the dealer today to fix the Main Slide Out wall moving in and out and the vinyl floor coming lose and bubbling.

dcg9381
02-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Let us know what the repair is...

darrylwt
03-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Let us know what the repair is...

I took the trailer in Feb. the 24th so just shy of a month for the repairs hopeful, I think the floor was the biggest job to fix/replace.

I talked to the dealer yesterday and they said the aluminum frame wasn't welded all the way just tack welded and the weld broke lose. I should have it back by the 21st of this month. They also had to replace the vinyl flooring because it was coming lose and bubbling in spots. I also had a Dish antenna installed the Winegard TRAV'LER DISH 1000 Multi-Satellite TV Antenna oh and the toilet wouldn't hols water and this will be the 3rd time they had to fix it.

Dave W
03-12-2016, 04:15 AM
I've followed this from a 'lurker' standpoint since last December since we have a 2014 Montana HC. Our main slide has always been the 'problem child' though not to the point of deflection and failure. The other three slides work and sound just fine. This main slide has shrieked, jerked and groaned while operating. I did a cable adjustment along with a full lube and have described it here and in the Maintenance forum (http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24643). I am of the opinion that since our sink counter is in the way of easy access, the Keystone 'mechanic' in charge of that slide did a poor installation and got lazy. It also has a heavy sofa bed and dinette.There are QC stickers on each end but those come on a sheet and can go on without any real work. Yes, ours was big time misadjusted and as of Wednesday, worked well and quiet. I am still concerned about future weld failure though as I have no way to inspect that nor do I have any aluminum mig welding equipment - yet!!