PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Pusher

BOWWOW
12-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Well we found a nice diesel pusher that we like so it looks like we will be trading out next week. We have enjoyed this forum thank you all. We will still be checking in as some of the family and friends still own Keystone products.

BirchyBoy
12-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Congrats! What did you get?

sourdough
12-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Bowwow - congrats on the new pusher.

On the personal side; what exactly made you determine to go with a pusher vs a travel trailer? I ask because before I bought our trailer in 2014 I went out fully expecting to buy a new diesel pusher. After looking at all the pros and cons (to us), and the units, we decided to do an about face and buy a trailer to pull with a truck. Just wondering if I failed to consider something.....because I still want a diesel pusher back there in the back of my mind...............:)

chuckster57
12-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Congrats! What did you get?

What he said.

BOWWOW
12-10-2015, 04:20 PM
It's a 2009 Winnebago Journey 34Y. Obviously a 34 ft model.
The cool part is that it has 3 slides the one on the driver side is a full wall slide.
On the curb side the (king size bed) slides out in the rear and the living room slides out in the front. The only part that doesn't slide out is the large bath.
I plan on pulling a 16 ft enclosed trailer when we want to take the ATV's. Or I can pull the Juke Nismo.
350 HP Cummins with the Allison automatic on a Freightliner chassis.
26,000 miles on it. What do you think? We are excited. I will miss my truck.

chuckster57
12-10-2015, 07:47 PM
I think you done good!! Freightliner chassis and Allison push button trans is a very strong combo still in use today.

BirchyBoy
12-10-2015, 08:09 PM
It's a 2009 Winnebago Journey 34Y. Obviously a 34 ft model.
The cool part is that it has 3 slides the one on the driver side is a full wall slide.
On the curb side the (king size bed) slides out in the rear and the living room slides out in the front. The only part that doesn't slide out is the large bath.
I plan on pulling a 16 ft enclosed trailer when we want to take the ATV's. Or I can pull the Juke Nismo.
350 HP Cummins with the Allison automatic on a Freightliner chassis.
26,000 miles on it. What do you think? We are excited. I will miss my truck.

Wow, that will be a beauty! Enjoy the heck out of it. My wife wants to do something like that but the cost of entry is too much for us right now. In the near future, though.....

hankaye
12-11-2015, 06:31 AM
BOWWOW, Howdy;

Got any pix ???

hankaye

BOWWOW
12-11-2015, 08:10 AM
No pics yet, the PDI is Dec 16 assuming that I can drive it home without wrecking it I will post some.

hankaye
12-11-2015, 05:23 PM
BOWWOW, Howdy;

Got your Bus endorsement, air brakes if it has'em???

hankaye

sourdough
12-11-2015, 06:02 PM
No pics yet, the PDI is Dec 16 assuming that I can drive it home without wrecking it I will post some.

When I sat down and took a 40 footer for a test drive I was amazed at how complicated it seemed to me. I've driven dump trucks and stuff like that but sitting in the pilot seat of that motorhome was pretty intimidating. It had rear view cameras and all of that but it still felt like I couldn't see much....so be safe and make sure they give you all the pointers.

Sounds like a great setup. Hope you have lots of fun and it does everything you hope it will.

gtsum2
12-12-2015, 02:26 AM
Sounds nice. Our next rig will be a dp as well. We are Already Tired of getting the garage dirty from the rzr when we go (though the th works great as a bunk house)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirchyBoy
12-12-2015, 03:08 PM
When I sat down and took a 40 footer for a test drive I was amazed at how complicated it seemed to me. I've driven dump trucks and stuff like that but sitting in the pilot seat of that motorhome was pretty intimidating. It had rear view cameras and all of that but it still felt like I couldn't see much....so be safe and make sure they give you all the pointers.

Sounds like a great setup. Hope you have lots of fun and it does everything you hope it will.

I took my friend's 36' footer out for a ride and it is definitely a lot to take care of. It isn't really any different than driving a truck and a long trailer, but it was much more intimidating. His has a backup camera but not the side-view cameras that some of them have.

chuckster57
12-12-2015, 03:15 PM
It's only scary for the first 20 minutes! I still get nervous when I take one out for a test drive. Took a $500,000.00 customers rig out couple of weeks ago. 43 feet with a tag axle, settled in about the time I was done diagnosing concerns.

BOWWOW
12-13-2015, 06:28 PM
BOWWOW, Howdy;

Got your Bus endorsement, air brakes if it has'em???

hankaye

As for as I know Colorado does not require any endorsement for an RV.
Yes it has air brakes.

hankaye
12-14-2015, 07:00 AM
BOWWOW, Howdy;

A bus is a bus is a bus, doesn't really matter how you dress it up.
Might drop by the DMV and ask a question or 2 or 3.

hankaye

BOWWOW
12-14-2015, 07:21 AM
BOWWOW, Howdy;

A bus is a bus is a bus, doesn't really matter how you dress it up.
Might drop by the DMV and ask a question or 2 or 3.

hankaye

So I just called the Colorado DMV and they said as long as I am using it for recreational purposes only I will not need a special endorsement even with air brakes, pulling a small trailer or a car and even if it weighs over 26,000 lbs. I also called 2 random dealers and got the same reply as well as the Colorado State Patrol.
Thanks for the head slap hankaye, I never really thought about any further driver's license requirements.

chuckster57
12-14-2015, 12:11 PM
IIRC it's the same here in Ca. Changes at 40' and tag axle.

hankaye
12-14-2015, 04:34 PM
BOWWOW, Howdy;

Just would have hated to hear you were pulled over and the "New Toy"
was impounded until you either got the proper license endorsements
or ya found someone to drive it home for ya...

Happy motoring, enjoy your Holidays

hankaye

Tbos
12-14-2015, 07:38 PM
The DW and I think a class A may be the way to go when we eventually go full time. Hoping that is less than 5 years away.

BOWWOW
12-15-2015, 07:15 AM
BOWWOW, Howdy;

Just would have hated to hear you were pulled over and the "New Toy"
was impounded until you either got the proper license endorsements
or ya found someone to drive it home for ya...

Happy motoring, enjoy your Holidays

hankaye

Impounded,:eek: We are having a blizzard today, I might have to purchase tire chains for tomorrow.LOL

hankaye
12-15-2015, 07:27 AM
BOWWOW, Howdy;

Impounded,:eek: We are having a blizzard today, I might have to purchase tire chains for tomorrow.LOL

Living in Co. you may as well get them as you'll probably need them
sometime in the future. Better to have them and not need them than
to need them and not have them.

hankaye

BOWWOW
01-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Well here is the Diesel Pusher were into.
Whoever who ever ends up with that Silverado is getting a darn nice truck.

BirchyBoy
01-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Well here is the Diesel Pusher were into.
Whoever who ever ends up with that Silverado is getting a darn nice truck.

Very nice! Where did you trade? I need a truck and a bigger camper....

Tbos
01-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Nice rig. Enjoy the Class A life.

BOWWOW
01-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Very nice! Where did you trade? I need a truck and a bigger camper....

I did it at Camping World in Longmont. I think the truck is still there. I got a nice deal.

hankaye
01-04-2016, 03:24 PM
BOWWOW, Howdy;

Good lookin' bus! Hope you have as many safe and happy miles with it!

hankaye

GmaPaTime
01-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Nice looking MH. You'll enjoy being a motorhomer.
That's are next step.... In a few years :)

Steve

roadglide
01-28-2016, 08:18 AM
Bowwow - congrats on the new pusher.

On the personal side; what exactly made you determine to go with a pusher vs a travel trailer? I ask because before I bought our trailer in 2014 I went out fully expecting to buy a new diesel pusher. After looking at all the pros and cons (to us), and the units, we decided to do an about face and buy a trailer to pull with a truck. Just wondering if I failed to consider something.....because I still want a diesel pusher back there in the back of my mind...............:)
Oberserving the rally we attended evey class a pusher owners where much older like 80. I personally would like class c diesal after I weaken.

gtsum2
01-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Good looking ride! We enjoy our th but thinking of going with a diesel pusher (super c) here in a few years. Have 5 and 8 year old boys and think they would enjoy it vs being in the truck. I know I did when I was growing up with my grandparents motor home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadglide
01-30-2016, 04:25 PM
My first rv was older 28 ft class a 454 engine . I'm thinking 82 year great for the kids and there intendo games . The memories will be with you forever just like your grand parents experance.

BOWWOW
02-01-2016, 04:40 PM
The toyhauler idea was cool. This Class A is so much more comfortable. I like the idea that there is living space bumper to bumper. We will be towing a 8'.5" x 16' trailer behind for the toys when we take them. I was going to get a v-nose but then I learned about the pinch point at the top between the coach and the trailer, so I got the flat front with a 54" tongue extension. No matter what you have it seems that the end of that old learning curve is always just out of sight!