PDA

View Full Version : Propane problem

micktaylor
12-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Hi, I have a 2007 Cougar 5th wheel CG276. My problem is that the left hand propane bottle (looking from rear to front) is not supplying gas to trailer. Last year had the same problem and replaced regulator valve to the exit side of propane tank and got gas OK. This year after trailer has been in storage for 9 months have the same problem. Right hand tank working ok, left hand tank not supplying gas. Have checked the tank and it is full of gas. If I am getting crud in the lines how is the best way of cleaning them out:banghead: Cheers, Mick Taylor

chuckster57
12-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Your propane system is sealed when the lines are attached to the tanks so "crud" shouldn't be an issue.

With tanks on opposite sides, the tank on the non regulator side will flow through a regulator of sorts. That regulator will stop the flow of LP if it "senses" an excessive flow rate, say for example the line bursts.

Try this: next time, turn the valve that opens that bottle slowly. Allowing the pressure to rise slowly. If it still doesn't work, then you probably have a defective regulator.

micktaylor
12-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Hi, Thanks will try releasing the valve slowly. Do you know if there are different types (pressure) regulators. Could I have installed the wrong one??
Cheers.:confused:

BirchyBoy
12-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Can you try swapping the tanks and seeing if the problem follows the tank?

chuckster57
12-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Hi, Thanks will try releasing the valve slowly. Do you know if there are different types (pressure) regulators. Could I have installed the wrong one??

There may be different brands, but I don't think the pressures are different.

shiggs68
12-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Yes, the small regulator on the non-regulator side is a higher pressure than the normal supply regulator. If you installed a normal 11 inch WC regulator on that tank, it will not feed LP to the main regulator.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chuckster57
12-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Yes, the small regulator on the non-regulator side is a higher pressure than the normal supply regulator. If you installed a normal 11 inch WC regulator on that tank, it will not feed LP to the main regulator.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I meant. Thanks, I didn't make myself clear. I meant that different brands are probably all set about the same.

PerryB
12-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Starting somewhere around 2005-ish, the RV manufacturers were required to install a primary regulator on any lines more than a certain distance from the final/supply regulator. Basically all 5th wheels ended up with one of these on the left tank line. In colder weather the low pressure in the left line will cause the auto changeover to try to switch away from that tank when its still fairly full. My left line regulator disappeared several years ago. Not that I would advocate anyone else do that ...........

jsmith948
12-04-2015, 06:15 AM
We solved a similar problem when we replaced the "pigtail" on the L/H tank. Turned out the internal flow restriction safety device was faulty. Something like $15 at our local RV supply.

micktaylor
12-04-2015, 06:49 AM
Hi and thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. The answer to my problem was solved when I opened the valve slowly as suggested by "chuckster 57". The tank is now supplying gas to the trailer and I'm ready for my trip down South. Keystone RV Forum is a great tool for getting help with problems like mine. Thanks again to all. Mick Taylor ex-Royal Navy."bouncey:

Steve S
12-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Hi and thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. The answer to my problem was solved when I opened the valve slowly as suggested by "chuckster 57". The tank is now supplying gas to the trailer and I'm ready for my trip down South. Keystone RV Forum is a great tool for getting help with problems like mine. Thanks again to all. Mick Taylor ex-Royal Navy."bouncey:

When I read chucksters reply I knew that was the problem:)
Just a need to know extra is if you do open the valve too fast you'll hear a slight click and this usually happens in the cold:)