PDA

View Full Version : Slide-outs During Winter Storage

Time2travel
12-01-2015, 07:47 AM
I am not sure if this subject has been covered, I could not find anything.

Living in the New England and storing our new 2016 Cougar 216RBI outside without a cover, there will be snow this winter as always, has anyone left their slide-outs extended?? :confused:

bill-e
12-01-2015, 11:22 AM
In the Cougar manual it talks about not leaving the slideouts extended for an extended period of time, and if you do to cycle them once every week or two.

I have a cover on mine so they are closed, which is how I would also store it without a cover.

I had to carefully slide the kitchen in with the frig door open since it cant open for storage once the slide is closed.

JRTJH
12-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Here are some points to consider:

1. The slide roof is constructed of 1" aluminum or wood framing and isn't engineered to support nearly as much weight as the RV roofing system.

2. The slide roof is not engineered to provide positive drainage away from the seals that are the "only defense" against water intrusion.

3. Any snow that accumulates on the slide roof and melts will create an "ice dam" when it refreezes. That "ice dam" could channel water into (rather than away from) the RV. Any melting ice could easily flow into the RV creating water damage that wouldn't be identified easily since most of the water would be retained in the seal area rather than flow into the coach interior.

4. The slide is designed to support "weight" in the form of people/gear on the "inside of the slide". It is not designed to support an "unlimited" static load (snow load) on the roof. The coach suspension system and the slide extension system are also not designed to support an excessive load for a prolonged period of time. The increased weight from accumulated snow may damage the slide extension system and could lead to expensive repairs if the "rams" are bent/distorted by the additional weight.

5. If the coach is stored with the slide in the "travel position" the additional weight that would be encountered as well as the ice/snow melt (water intrusion) from that snow load are eliminated. It would seem "safer" to just "eliminate" the above rather than risk having to deal with them.

6. You didn't address any "reasons" or "needs" for storing the trailer with the slides extended, so I'd suppose that either "in" or "out" are both equal considerations? If so, why risk increased potential for damage?

7. As a final "consideration".. Once the slide seals become wet from the snow/ice melting and refreezing, the seals will probably become frozen to the slide walls and roof. Once that happens, it will be very difficult to remove the ice/snow from the slide roof, thaw the seals and power the slides in. It's probably best to simply store them "in" from the beginning and not risk damage to the seals/slide mechanism should they need to be retracted during the winter.

Your views may differ.......

Pull Toy
12-01-2015, 03:35 PM
+1 for JRTJH,

GaryWT
12-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Is there a reason why you want them open. Once we winterized and put away, the doors stay locked until spring and yes, the slides are closed.

Time2travel
12-02-2015, 09:20 PM
All good points, thank you for the quick responses.