PDA

View Full Version : Wet Bolt Kit

Way Of Life
11-27-2015, 03:23 PM
I've done a search....and yes I have found a few discussions about this....But....None of them say what or where owners are buying.

I want to complete this upgrade to our 2015 Fuzion toy hauler that uses a tandem axel set up with the Correct Track installed.

If you have completed this upgrade......Please post what you purchased and where you purchased via a link to the product.

I understand that longer bolts will be needed when the Correct Track is installed.....So is this an option that needs to be mentioned when ordering?

Any direction and wisdom is greatly appreciated.....Thank everyone. (tx)

theallde
11-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Last week I sent an email to MORryde via their website asking what configuration was best for my 2015 Cougar Xlite 30RLI. I had a reply the next day from Gary Wheeler. Now I know what unit to request my local RV Dealer to install on January 11th. FYI - I'll have a SRE4000 installed.

Hope this helps .... Don

dcg9381
11-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Don, would you mind reporting back with what you paid for the kit and install?

bobbecky
11-28-2015, 11:11 AM
I find it a little hard to believe that the Fuzion does not already have wet bolts installed. I guess you have already crawled underneath to look for zerk fittings at the end of the suspension bolts?

theallde
11-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Don, would you mind reporting back with what you paid for the kit and install?

Install will be a little under $400 (quoted) and the SRE4000 quoted as $110.

Will posted actual cost after the January 11th install.

Way Of Life
11-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Last week I sent an email to MORryde via their website asking what configuration was best for my 2015 Cougar Xlite 30RLI. I had a reply the next day from Gary Wheeler. Now I know what unit to request my local RV Dealer to install on January 11th. FYI - I'll have a SRE4000 installed.

Hope this helps .... Don

Hello Don.....Looks like the SRE4000 is a suspension system that is added to a towable trailer. The wet bolt kit is a replacement bolt kit that incorporates grease zerks on the bolts and replacement bronze bushings. Not sure what you want installed but the system you quoted is far more than the kit I am looking to add.

Desert185
11-29-2015, 08:02 AM
I bought a MOR/ryde wetbolt kit from www.smile.amazon.com for $88 and installed it myself. Dexter makes the kits, but I bought a MOR/ryde because of their installed equalizer system on my 326.

I outlined the install process pretty thoroughly, but I can't find the posting right now. Back to the house guests...

hankpage
11-29-2015, 08:40 AM
I bought a MOR/ryde wetbolt kit from www.smile.amazon.com for $88 and installed it myself. Dexter makes the kits, but I bought a MOR/ryde because of their installed equalizer system on my 326.

I outlined the install process pretty thoroughly, but I can't find the posting right now. Back to the house guests...

Desert185, I think this is the thread you are referring to: http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20169&highlight=bolts ..... Hope this helps, Hank

Desert185
12-01-2015, 08:22 PM
That's it. Thank you, sir.

Larry1013
12-03-2015, 04:45 PM
I bought my bolts kit from Nick's Truck Parts

http://www.nickstruckparts.com/

eds451
12-03-2015, 08:55 PM
I put in the MorRyde wet bolts and equalizers on my 244rls 3 years ago. The original bushings were plastic or what was left. The wet bolts were smaller diameter so I ordered bronze bushings and keep them lubed every year. Did the install myself.

T11ravis
12-04-2015, 05:37 AM
I'm a bit confused on who needs the wet bolt kit.
Would my 3 yr. old Raptor with the Trail Air equalizer system need it as well?

jsmith948
12-04-2015, 06:10 AM
I'm a bit confused on who needs the wet bolt kit.
Would my 3 yr. old Raptor with the Trail Air equalizer system need it as well?

IMHO, everyone should have wet bolt kits installed. The stock nylon (polyethylene?) bushings are doomed to failure within a very few miles (3500 in my case). There are bushings out there that don't require grease - I think they are called 'never fail'. Personally, I like the idea of shooting grease in the suspension's moving parts. Makes for a quieter, smoother operating suspension without the worry of failing shackles and bushings. Do a forum search, you will find several threads containing pictures of failed suspension parts caused by worn out bushings.:)

concours
12-04-2015, 09:28 AM
I installed a Morryde wet bolt kit and X Factor cross members when the trailer was new and never regretted it, no banging and clunking when turning tows great. I would sooner grease it once in a while than keep changing nylon bushings

notanlines
12-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Anybody have a ball park figure on what an average RV shop might charge to install the wetbolt kit? I don't mind doing it myself, but if the price is fair I would rather be on the beach.....:D

jsmith948
12-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Around here, $100 - $120 per he. I would guess 4 hrs?

jsmith948
12-04-2015, 11:40 AM
I mean per hour.

bdaniel
12-06-2015, 06:07 PM
I installed the More Ryde wet bolt kit. The bronze bushings are worn out after about 10k miles. The circle of the spring eye has a gap where the spring leaf forms a circle. The bronze gets pushed into the gap. So I need new bushings.

However the greatest advantage of a wet bolt kit is the much thicker shackles. The stock shackles will last maybe 10k to 20k miles. Then they will give way.

See these link for problems I have had with shackles.

http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=73
http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=75
http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=185
http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=228

Bobby

dcg9381
12-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Are slightly longer shackles available or does that mess with suspension geometry in an undesired way?

gearhead
12-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Speaking of wet bolt issues....anyone have an instant diagnosis for one that won't take grease? I've got a Harbor Freight pneumatic grease gun on the way. Try more pressure than the hand pump one before I tear into it.

bobbecky
12-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Had issues with a couple of mine. I finally got grease to flow after about a year, but really solved the problem when I got rid of the one-handed grease gun and bought an old style two-hand operated lever grease gun. Some have found lifting the rig to take some weight off the suspension allows the grease to flow, especially if the problem wet bolt is turned where the hole inside is facing down, not allowing the grease to exit the hole in the bolt.

Desert185
12-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Yeah, two-handed, lever grease gun with a hose. Still have my dad's from when he had his trucks. They've been working great for over 50 years. Taking weight off the shackle might help, too.

gearhead
12-17-2015, 05:27 AM
Speaking of wet bolt issues....anyone have an instant diagnosis for one that won't take grease? I've got a Harbor Freight pneumatic grease gun on the way. Try more pressure than the hand pump one before I tear into it.
The HF grease gun did the trick.

281bullet
12-22-2015, 10:02 AM
I contacted mor ryde for a wet bolt setup with the factory correct track, this is there reply:

We do have a kit designed specifically for trailers that have the factory correct track installed. The part number you need is UO12-029. This is a fairly new item that isn’t yet available online so you may purchase directly from us if you chose. Your cost is $139.99 for the kit.

JimDogs
01-06-2016, 04:41 PM
I purchased the Dexter E-Z Flex kit from e-Trailer for $228.95 and free shipping. I was planning on doing the install myself, but it decided to start raining here in Cali so I decided to let Camping World do the job. It was a 2 hour job and they charged $232.00 to do it, including greasing the new bolts. I have to say that the ride back home was very nice. The roads out here truly are HORRIBLE, but there was little notice of the jarring feeling that the old suspension components produced.

dcg9381
01-07-2016, 11:21 AM
2 hours labor, pretty reasonable considering what a pain it is to remove wheels and tires on these..

JimDogs
01-08-2016, 09:52 AM
That is the biggest dilemma I faced, raising the trailer in order to remove wheels and parts. it would have cost me almost that much to buy a couple of jacks big enough to lift one side of the trailer!

dcg9381
01-11-2016, 06:55 AM
FYI - for those of us with double or triple axles and correct-track, the part number is:
UO12-031 (double axle)
UO12-032 (triple axle)

Apparently the correct track and Equaflex has 3 1/8th shackles...

SkiSmuggs
01-15-2016, 10:57 AM
I had my wet bolts done at a local spring and chassis shop for about $150 (2.5 hours. At the time, I switched from MorRyde CRE3000 to Dexter EZ Flex. That turned out to be a mistake as the Dexter lowered the my 299RK and allowed the tires to rub on the chassis above when bumpy. I discovered that while traveling cross country and scheduled an appointment at MorRyde for a pinbox and switch back to CRE3000. The fiver rides great now and they greased the wet bolts as part of the process. Great folks.

Brentw
01-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Did you start with a morride 3000? Wondering if they are worth the install?

Way Of Life
01-16-2016, 12:22 AM
With the problems owners are having in their attempts to grease the wet bolts I may just go with the Never Fail bushings. Sounds like a much better option.....Lower cost.....And a lot less headaches.....Lippert recommends them over the wet bolt kit for life and of product and no maintenance.

jsmith948
01-16-2016, 07:53 AM
Well, JMHO but, there is no such thing as 'no maintenance'. We installed the wet bolt kit on our Cougar and have had zero problems with getting the wet bolts to take grease. If the bolts are installed correctly, with the grease ports at 3 or 9 o'clock, there shouldn't be an issue. Some of the members have even chamfered the grease ports to allow the grease to flow easier.
The 'never fail' bushings are still going to wear albeit at a slower rate.

concours
01-16-2016, 08:33 AM
Never had a problem greasing the wet bolts the secret is install at the 3 o'clock position but also take a flat file and make a small flat surface across the wet bolt hole this allows the grease to flow across the width of the bolt. I'm
talking about 2 or 3 strokes with a 1 inch wide flat file.

dcg9381
02-15-2016, 07:30 AM
I installed mine this weekend. It was a 5 hour job for me. Hardest part was figuring out how to lift the RV.

I ended up lifting it behind the rear axle, just high enough to get the tires off the ground. Did one axle at a time. I spent half the time fiddling with the jacks and stands until I figured it out.

My nylon bushings were still OK @ 8 months old, 4k miles on the trailer. No signs of grease in any of it. The Correct Track system already had brass bushings, so I didn't replace them.

I did champfer (file) my bolts. Greased by hand, I didn't try pushing grease into them yet...

This is $100 that I wish Keystone would have spent.. :-)

rhagfo
02-17-2016, 07:56 PM
I installed mine this weekend. It was a 5 hour job for me. Hardest part was figuring out how to lift the RV.

I ended up lifting it behind the rear axle, just high enough to get the tires off the ground. Did one axle at a time. I spent half the time fiddling with the jacks and stands until I figured it out.

My nylon bushings were still OK @ 8 months old, 4k miles on the trailer. No signs of grease in any of it. The Correct Track system already had brass bushings, so I didn't replace them.

I did champfer (file) my bolts. Greased by hand, I didn't try pushing grease into them yet...

This is $100 that I wish Keystone would have spent.. :-)

Well lifting and supporting are two different things, both time I have worked on the springs and axles of the 5er I never had space to leave the TV attached, OR did I desire to.

When I was a little kid I played with some blocks that my grandfather made for my dad! They were simply 1X1's cut into 12" and 3" lengths, with these I learned about cribbing!

This is cribbing supporting one side of the 5er.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_193887_0_97d3f8e1681ddfb4d33971ed73892824.jpg

This is the Landing gear and some large jack stands sharing supporting the front of the 5er.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_193887_1_d941611df7139423b4904abce78dda86.jpg

5er sitting wheels off securely supported so I could easily work under it.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_193887_2_d855ecb2a1c0cbc50a69c470d4e7c5bf.jpg

Wet bolts and 1/2" shackles.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_193887_3_7672fdbf72981b450e79a8c75305c21c.jpg

Bronze bushings will go in much easier, if placed with Dry Ice in the freezer over night.

slow
02-18-2016, 03:51 AM
I too like using wood cribbing vs. a fully extended jack stand.

dcg9381
02-18-2016, 09:47 AM
rhagfo,
It looks like you've got a "lift" on your RV?

LittleJoe
02-18-2016, 06:31 PM
I did it as follows:

weld flat 2x6" plate to 1"length of 2" pipe (to fit over top of hydraulic bottle jack) to eliminate slipping and spread load.
Use 2 jacks, one to front of axles, one to rear, (working on one side at a time)

Build height of jacks up with8" x8" blocks about 18" long, until Jack just fits under frame in down position. Then, jack up until wheels off. If jack leaks down it cannot come lower than your starting point . This is MUCH more stable than using jack stands. 6ton bottle jacks are not expensive.

Desert185
02-18-2016, 11:19 PM
I did one side at a time jacking the axles just enough to remove the tires rather than jacking the entire trailer. No cribbing, just stabilizers, landing gear and a couple of jack stands. Worked for me...

rhagfo
02-19-2016, 06:41 AM
rhagfo,
It looks like you've got a "lift" on your RV?

Yes the Correct Track lifts 2" which is just what we needed to finally get our 5er level.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_194010_0_75a777a0ca7c17a36347892e9d23ea88.jpg

I did one side at a time jacking the axles just enough to remove the tires rather than jacking the entire trailer. No cribbing, just stabilizers, landing gear and a couple of jack stands. Worked for me...

I like having full control of the axles with both sides off the ground you have full control of the axles. Just a preferance.

Desert185
02-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Yes the Correct Track lifts 2" which is just what we needed to finally get our 5er level.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_194112_0_75a777a0ca7c17a36347892e9d23ea88.jpg

I like having full control of the axles with both sides off the ground you have full control of the axles. Just a preferance.

With jacking one side side at a time, you never lose control of the axles because they barely move. Pull one shackle and slide another one in. If there is slight movement, a short pry bar realigns the springs. Do one shackle at a time. I found this to be much simpler than the possibility for an axle wrestle. I did the wetbolts by myself, so this seemed to be essentially effortless for my my solo effort...and it was.

Everyone gets "different mileage" though. :D

281bullet
03-12-2016, 05:18 AM
I installed my wet bolt kit yesterday on one side. Let me tell you I was very surprised how bad the plastic bushings were for a trailer that has a couple of thousand miles on it. The installation only took about 45 min but I already had the trailer jacked up with bottle jacks and cribbing and all of my tools were ready. I spent the rest of the day cleaning and scraping and repainting the frame and axles, mine was a little rusty in spots. I would definitely suggest this MOD to be done to all trailers after seeing the condition of the original bushings.

I used Desert185 method of installation easy.

Desert185
03-13-2016, 10:08 AM
I love simple and easy. Glad it went well for you.

I was surprised at the the poor condition of the original bushings, too. The $88 I spent on the wet bolt kit with heavy shackles and bronze bushings was truly an investment involving big return for relatively minimal outlay. :thumbsup: