PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter 326fwbhs?

Lrdchaos
11-23-2015, 03:23 AM
Does anyone have this particular unit? We stumbled across this unit the other day and it's peaked our interest. It seems like a well laid out unit with lots of storage and a residential fridge. My concern is the build quality, we will not be living full time, but plan on keeping this unit 10-12 years and lots of lake and long vacation trips. Thanks

jrwittman1
11-23-2015, 10:24 AM
We have a '11 292FWBHS and like it a lot

flight medic
11-23-2015, 01:57 PM
We have a 2015 Sprinter 324fwbhs and absolutely love it. The build quality is higher than the Dutchman line that we came from.
Steve

2015 Sprinter 324 fwbhs
2015 RAM 2500 ccsb Cummins

JRTJH
11-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Does anyone have this particular unit? We stumbled across this unit the other day and it's peaked our interest. It seems like a well laid out unit with lots of storage and a residential fridge. My concern is the build quality, we will not be living full time, but plan on keeping this unit 10-12 years and lots of lake and long vacation trips. Thanks

Looking back at a number of your previous posts, it appears that you don't currently have an RV and have been "in the market" for some time, looking at fifth wheels and travel trailers. It seems that you're undecided and are, for the most part, "shopping around".

If this is an accurate assumption, it's a good thing that you're here, asking questions and hopefully stacking the answers with those from the dealership and your other research. One can seldom find all the answers, and there is almost always an area or even multiple areas where research wasn't done and/or things that were simply overlooked during the process of finding the "perfect RV" (if such a creature even exists). So, it's a good thing that you're asking questions and weighing the answers in your shopping for the "right RV".....

I note that you're looking for a fairly large RV, either a fifth wheel or travel trailer. From previous posts, it looks like you've got a 2012 F250 with a payload of 1998 lbs. If that's the truck you plan to use to tow your selection, I think you might be looking at RV's (Sprinter 326) that are simply "too big" for your F250. The empty pin weight (before battery and propane or second A/C) is listed at 2125 lbs. Add battery, propane and a second A/C to the bedroom area plus the weight of your fifth wheel hitch, will put you more than 500 pounds over your payload, and that's before you even include the weight of your family and other passengers and any cargo in the truck and/or trailer into the mix.

Also, something that many "noobs" (to use your term from another post) don't consider is "wise use of space" in RV's. Once you've spent a weekend at a campground, in the rain, unable to get out of the RV, you come to realize that every square inch of space becomes critical to proper use during "crowded, unfavorable" conditions. I mention this only because the 326 has a very large (by RV standards) space allocated specifically for "laundry room use". Even if that room is also used for storage, you're looking at a loss of very valuable floor space that can't be claimed as "living area" should the weather turn "sour"....

The 326 floorplan has some very nice features, it's a new one, introduced only this year and while it will "fill the bill" for some owners, if you haven't considered the aspect of devoting around 20 square feet of floor space that will not be usable for living purposes, it might be a good idea to think carefully about just how much space that is, in terms of necessary space for family comfort when the "chips are down" in bad weather.

Perhaps, I've made the wrong assumptions about your experience with RVing, if so, please advise....

Lrdchaos
11-23-2015, 06:13 PM
That would be an accurate assumption. We currently don't own a rv. My in laws have a class c that we have used for the last 6 years. Everyone of our trips from 3-12 days have been in the rv. I know what features I want, I'm just trying to find a unit that has all of them. I'm 99% sure we will end up with either the Mesa ridge/Roamer 310bhs tt due to owning a 250. I've considered the 336bhs cougar which would put me over the payload but well within my axle and tire ratings. I'm really just looking for the best quality for the money, and it appears to be the MR/roamer line. My only hesitation is the lack of external storage on the tt and negotiating a 37ft tt. We rented a 37ft tt last year and it worked out fine, I can pull and back it just fine in our normal CG. But we are planning on taking it on long trips and I want to buy once cry once so to speak. We have camped enough to know exactly what we want, just finding it and being within the ratings of my 250 is challenging.

flight medic
11-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Not to discount anything jtjrh has to say, I looked at the two floor plans side by side (324fwbhs mine and 326fhbhs yours) and the only difference is the fridge and loss of pantry. We spent Labor day weekend dry camping and it was so stinking hot I ran the genny all weekend, had 6 adults 2 full size dogs and a 9 yo and still plenty of room.
Steve

JRTJH
11-23-2015, 07:05 PM
You made a "troublesome" comment in your response: "I've considered the 336bhs cougar which would put me over the payload but well within my axle and tire ratings."

Many new (and some experienced) RV'ers are under the impression that one can "pick and choose" which limitations they prefer. Some people say, as you commented, that as long as they are under the axle rating, it doesn't matter if they exceed the GVW, as long as one or the other is within limits, then they are OK if the other limit happens to be overloaded. That's not true, according to the truck manufacturer's statements. As the roads get more crowded and as the local/state governments start looking for additional income, it's only a matter of time before they start enforcing "load limits" on recreational vehicles. Some states are already doing this, and in California, if you're pulled over and found to be overloaded, you're fined, unhitched and leave your RV on the side of the road (along with paying a hefty fine).

I'm of the belief that we'll see this happening more and more across the nation in the next few years. Someone will likely respond to this post and comment that as long as you're "under the axle limit" you're OK. I won't say that's wrong, but rather will post what Ford says in the owner's manual and probably what law enforcement will use. It's up to you to make the decision as to what you do, but be aware of the potential implications before buying "too much RV" and finding that you now are trapped into spending even more money to buy a new vehicle as well......

Here's the Ford owner's manual statement: WARNING: Do not exceed the GVWR or the GAWR specified on the certification label.

Now, as to "what are the chances of being stopped"??? Most people who have been around trucks and towing for any length of time are well familiar with payload/GVW/GAWR/GCWR limits of trucks. It won't take law enforcement very long to realize that stopping all single wheel vehicles towing fifth wheels longer than about 32 or 33 feet in length will offer a "lucrative income for the state"... That is, unless the state starts enforcing RV'ers to enter the weight scales at every state line just like commercial trucking. Will it happen? Probably, when?? Who knows......

So, consider just how "big" you want to go based not only on what your truck will tow, but also on what other implications are going to be a part of future towing requirements. Again, Good luck with your search.

Lrdchaos
11-23-2015, 07:34 PM
Thank you for the detailed responses. The reasons you stated above is why the 310bhs tt looks so good. I'm tiring to get a feel for every unit I come across that peaks my interest, they are few and far between. The 310 puts us under payload, axle and tire ratings while giving us a floor plan we love. I know it's not a keystone model, but it's the one we continually go back to.

kfxgreenie
11-23-2015, 08:03 PM
What separates a 3/4 ton and a 1 Ton SRW component wise that often equates to a almost a 1500 lb to 2000 lb icrease in payload? The main thing is the DOT's arbitrary 10,000 LB commercial rating . So a 3/4 ton rating is directly associated with that false payload sticker inside your door to keep the truck under 10,000 "commercial" status, which equates to the low payload on a 250/2500. Heck a new F150 has a higher payload rating than some diesel 3/4 ton's, which is a joke. A gas 3/4 ton has a higher payload rating than a diesel all do to the amount of weight the heavy diesel engine takes off the 10,000 pound rating. Most of that weight is on the front axle not the rear axle. I wish the DOT would just forget the 10,000 pound rating and allow the manufactures to rate the trucks at thier real capabilities. :banghead:

JRTJH
11-23-2015, 08:26 PM
I can't relate any experiences with Open Road RV's. Looking at the ratings/comments from owners, they are pretty much just like Keystone. Some owners love them and some owners say they are the worst RV's made. Some people like the dealer and factory support, some people say it's the worse in the industry, so take it for what it's worth LOL

If you've got the Cat V hitch on your truck you're rated at 14,000 max trailer and 1,400 max tongue weight. From what I see on the 310 specs, the trailer weighs about , 9300 lbs and has a GVW of about 11,500 lbs. If you "do the math" of recommended tongue weights at 10% min and 15% max, that comes out to a "recommended tongue weight at GVW of around 1150 to 1725. So, with the "factory CAT V hitch, it's possible to overload the receiver on the truck if you "stack stuff in the front of the trailer".... It would be advisable to pay attention to how you load and to double check weights at a CAT scale a few times until you feel comfortable with your weight and balance figures.

Honestly, I think that getting the trailer that best fits your lifestyle and that works for the way you want to use it is probably as important or maybe even more important than the decal name that's on the front cap. Buy what works for your family, fits your budget and doesn't overload your tow vehicle once you get everything and everybody ready to travel....

Enjoy the search !!!!!

JRTJH
11-23-2015, 08:45 PM
What separates a 3/4 ton and a 1 Ton SRW component wise that often equates to a almost a 1500 lb to 2000 lb icrease in payload? The main thing is the DOT's arbitrary 10,000 LB commercial rating . So a 3/4 ton rating is directly associated with that false payload sticker inside your door to keep the truck under 10,000 "commercial" status, which equates to the low payload on a 250/2500. Heck a new F150 has a higher payload rating than some diesel 3/4 ton's, which is a joke. A gas 3/4 ton has a higher payload rating than a diesel all do to the amount of weight the heavy diesel engine takes off the 10,000 pound rating. Most of that weight is on the front axle not the rear axle. I wish the DOT would just forget the 10,000 pound rating and allow the manufactures to rate the trucks at thier real capabilities. :banghead:

I agree with you completely !!! The current F250 is available in either a 9900 or 10000 GVW. The only difference is the sticker. It's done to meet "some state" requirements for licensing at a "cheaper/more expensive" registration as much as for anything else (playing games with registrations???)

The F350 SRW is available in at least 5 or more GVW's from 10,000 through 11,500 pounds. And for the most part, every option available on the F250 GVW packages is also the same as the packages on the F350.

It's possible to order an F250 with snow plow package and camper package (still a maximum GVW of 10K) and have "stronger springs/suspension/tires than the "standard" equipment on an F350 with "standard GVW of 11,400. And, for the most part, there's no difference in the suspension on the 10K GVW and the 11.5K GVW on the F350. So again, it's all "paperwork" to meet some criteria, not to identify the truck's real capacity.....

So, yes, it's confusing, and mostly a "game" played for regulatory/insurance purposes to "rate" trucks not to actually define their maximum capability.

Like you, I wish DOT and the insurance companies/state licensing departments would simply allow the manufacturers to list the "single maximum GVW" for each truck as it's built, not as it will be "registered".....

I don't look for that to happen, at least not with the regulatory climate we have today..... Please don't turn this into a political statement, that's not what I'm trying to convey...

Lrdchaos
11-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Just checked my hitch, with wd it's rated for 17,500 and 1750 tongue weight. I should have plenty of capacity left over.

JRTJH
11-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Great !!!!

larry337
11-24-2015, 06:48 AM
It sounds to me like you've given this whole thing a lot of thought. I like the comment 'buy once cry once". That's a very difficult thing to do with an RV. You really don't know for sure until you've used it a few times. If it were me , having been there done that, I'd say get the fifth wheel. I have towed large TT's (and not even as large as you are looking at). Towing a fifth wheel is like night and day. The ride is so much more enjoyable. Fifth wheel trailers are rock steady compared to TT's. They are less affected by wind. They are easier to hook and unhook. And they offer way more storage. No more loading and unloading the bed of the truck to go camping. The fiver stays packed and ready to go. I would consider trading the 250 for a 350. The resale value on any diesel is crazy high so you should be able to find a used one "close to" an even swap. I know its hard to part with your "baby" that you probably bought new and is well cared for. I had to do it too. My F250 was paid for and babied by me since new but I traded it on a used F350 dually. There was some initial separation anxiety LOL but I eventually got over it. If you buy the 37' TT and decide you dont like towing it then you'll have the expense of upgrading your truck AND a brand new RV.

CdnCopper
12-01-2015, 08:41 PM
I run a 2012 292 fwbhs, bought it in may and got around 35 nights in it with the family and kids over the summer. I pull it with with 2014 ram 2500 5.7l with 4.10 gears. Here's some pros and cons of the unit that you may find comparable and hopefully helpful.

Pros
- lots of storage, inside the living quarters an underneath
- relatively solid build
- appliances have worked without a hitch
- bright inside, nice and airy for those nice days
- lots of room in living and bunk areas
- back bathroom for the kids is nice
- in my opinion is a good looking trailer

Cons
- fresh water tank cracked on me over the summer. When I opened the the belly and investigated, the tank can move around around few inches. If you have a few gallons in their I think it's susceptible to breaking
- roof on the trailer is lower in the front than some others, as such if your around 6' you may find yourself crouching. That being said it was be be pro for fuel economy and wind drag
- bunk mattress quality is pretty thin

All in all we are very happy with our purchase. The water tank was a setback but I bought extra warranty so it was covered. You definitely feel feel it behind you, but I put in bags so that helped a bit. Next year I am going to add a moreryde system to reduce the chucking.

Take your time, you will make the right decision!