PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 365 Generator Door

Tucker
11-18-2015, 03:41 PM
My Onan 5500 Generator and the compartment door to my Raptor 365 got in to a bit of a battle, needless to say the Generator won.
I was running my generator and the door got hot enough to warp and it needs to be replaced.
I know people run them while driving down the road with the door closed but, have you installed a vent or something to allow the hot air to escape?
I am looking for a solution.

chuckster57
11-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

When your door and generator were doing battle, was the trailer parked, and the front cover of the generator in place? Of so, then there is an air flow issue that needs to be addressed.

I have used this:http://www.amazon.com/CSI-25070-Heat-Shield-Insulation/dp/B000RPG0DO on several different occasions in lots of different applications and I can say it works! You may have to glue it to the inside of the door, but it should keep the compartment door cool.

dcg9381
11-18-2015, 06:27 PM
I was running my generator and the door got hot enough to warp and it needs to be replaced.
I know people run them while driving down the road with the door closed but, have you installed a vent or something to allow the hot air to escape?
I am looking for a solution.

I sure hope we can run them stationary... At least I have in every RV that I've owned and in pretty darn hot climates.

The 5500 is air cooled. Having the gen cover on it is required, but the hot air gets pushed out the bottom. Cool air pulled from the bottom.

I've seen vents needed on odd Thor (Keystone) products - but largely Class-A / Class-C gassers where they're running over the open road, which has a very high surface temp. That's not what you're running into. Yours should cool without warping the access door.

My access doors are made by Lippert... At least according to the label. I've got the Onan 5500 EVAP model.

Tucker
11-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the replies.(tx)
I do think I have a ventilation issue when the door is closed. I am leaning towards a vent of some kind but, I am afraid of the "road slush" or rain while driving. There is no ventilation of any kind in that compartment to allow the hear out.
I think I will purchase the foil heat blanket just because it was something that I also thought of.
As I look at the icons I see one that I am currently thinking trying to figure out why and what to do.......:banghead:

dcg9381
11-20-2015, 07:06 AM
Tucker, it's open at the bottom, right? The generator should force air out the bottom, that's what keeps it cool... It's probably a bit inefficient as it's pushing hot air down, but that's how it's designed to work.

Generator face HAS to be on. If that's off, that's probably your issue. If it's on, generator isn't blocked at the bottom, then no idea...

If you're going to vent it, I'd probably look at two ways:
1) Installing a van that pushes out through dryer a dryer vent. Like a engine-compartment fan in a boat.

2) Search for industrial louvers or generator door louvers - you could intall one of those.

Found this online:
"On some of the Raptors, Keystone left out the air dam, and the generator is mixing intake and exhaust air, it's an easy fix to make a baffel to keep the air from mixing. Mine shut down from heat after running for about 10 minutes, now it runs cool. PM me if you need pictures. Good luck. "

DiverB
11-22-2015, 07:10 PM
I have had two toy haulers both with ONAN generators and I have never experienced the generator overheating or warping a door. I have used my generator in AZ, NM, and CA for 8-16hrs straight with no issues and recently this past weekend my generator ran for 28hrs straight with no issues.

dcg9381
11-23-2015, 07:23 AM
Tucker, would you recognize if the air dam is missing?

If I was worried about road slush enough to not want to louver it, I'd use a marine fan setup that was designed to ventilate boat engine compartments. It takes a hose that's kinda like dryer hose and I'd probably dump it out the bottom somewhere, maybe out another compartment. Fan gets installed at the very top of the generator compartment.

Research any of those other posts... Not an isolated problem, but something is wrong with yours, we can operate our genset in 100 degree ambient without a problem.

Tucker
11-23-2015, 03:32 PM
I would not recognize if there was an air dam or not. My dealer does not deal with generators and have no idea. I am trying to find a 2014 Raptor 365 with a generator to see if I can see if there is any difference.
If anyone has the same Raptor as mine, I would appreciate some pictures:banghead:

dcg9381
11-23-2015, 06:42 PM
I don't think you need to find a Raptor, you need a 5th wheel Keystone with a 5500 onan in it... Next time I'm out, I'll see if I can take photos from the bottom looking up.

The insulation on the door idea can't hurt - but I do think something is wrong.

DiverB
11-23-2015, 08:44 PM
I can send Tucker some pictures in the morning from under where my generator sits

randy69
11-29-2015, 09:05 PM
While camping I started to leave the gen storage door open it allowed the gen too stay a little cooler.